PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Bunch of Random Questions regarding Warlocks, Trickery Devotion, and Magic Items

sorcererlover
2017-09-17, 02:28 PM
1. Can the warlock use Eldritch Blast through Trickery Devotion?
2. Can the warlock use Quicken Spell Like Ability on Eldritch blast when it's mixed with a blast shape and eldritch invocation?
3. Can the warlock stack Maximize and Quicken Spell Like Ability on Eldritch Blast simultaneously?
4. Can the warlock take Quicken Spell Like Ability multiple times to gain additional daily uses on Eldritch Blast?
5. Does the Trickery Devotion Simulacrum gain Ex attacks? So if the Warlock true mind switches a cloaker, do the Trickery Devotion Simulacrum get to use the Moan attacks since they are not magical?
6. If the warlock is polymorphed (like from phylactery of changing) and uses Trickery Devotion, is the resulting simulacrum the Warlock's true form or the Warlock's current form? So like can I change into a cloaker and use trickery devotion to make a simulacrum of a cloaker, and change back to have a cloaker minion?
7. Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals, how does it work? How do I add a new patch of earth to it if it's a rock and not a bowl or some kind of container?
8. Brimstone is sulfur. How much does it cost to fuel a Brazier of Commanding Fire? Is there a magical way for a Warlock to get it for free constantly? I know Major Creation works, but Warlocks don't get access to Major Creation.

Venger
2017-09-17, 02:55 PM
1. Can the warlock use Eldritch Blast through Trickery Devotion?
2. Can the warlock use Quicken Spell Like Ability on Eldritch blast when it's mixed with a blast shape and eldritch invocation?
3. Can the warlock stack Maximize and Quicken Spell Like Ability on Eldritch Blast simultaneously?
4. Can the warlock take Quicken Spell Like Ability multiple times to gain additional daily uses on Eldritch Blast?
5. Does the Trickery Devotion Simulacrum gain Ex attacks? So if the Warlock true mind switches a cloaker, do the Trickery Devotion Simulacrum get to use the Moan attacks since they are not magical?
6. If the warlock is polymorphed (like from phylactery of changing) and uses Trickery Devotion, is the resulting simulacrum the Warlock's true form or the Warlock's current form? So like can I change into a cloaker and use trickery devotion to make a simulacrum of a cloaker, and change back to have a cloaker minion?
7. Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals, how does it work? How do I add a new patch of earth to it if it's a rock and not a bowl or some kind of container?
8. Brimstone is sulfur. How much does it cost to fuel a Brazier of Commanding Fire? Is there a magical way for a Warlock to get it for free constantly? I know Major Creation works, but Warlocks don't get access to Major Creation.

1) no
2) yes
3) yes
4) no
5) no
6) current. if you morph into a cloaker, it's a cloaker. if you change back, then it changes back with you
7) what book is that from? I've never heard of it before. is it a pathfinder item?
8) no gp cost is specified, so it's assumed to be trivial, like a piece of cotton for silent image or what have you. just get it from the market when you do your shopping, no one cares.

sorcererlover
2017-09-17, 02:59 PM
1) no
2) yes
3) yes
4) no
5) no
6) current. if you morph into a cloaker, it's a cloaker. if you change back, then it changes back with you
7) what book is that from? I've never heard of it before. is it a pathfinder item?
8) no gp cost is specified, so it's assumed to be trivial, like a piece of cotton for silent image or what have you. just get it from the market when you do your shopping, no one cares.

2) Even if it boosts the effective level of Eldritch Blast beyond the limits of quicken sla?
5) Why not? Ex attacks aren't magical, and the simulacrums can perform combat maneuvers.
7) DMG p267. Its on the d20srd under wondrous items.
8) It does matter a little I think because it boosts the summoned elemental from Brazier of Controlling Fire Elemental from large to huge. The item itself is at-will and infinite duration so getting an upgrade for free sounds huge.

Venger
2017-09-17, 03:20 PM
2) Even if it boosts the effective level of Eldritch Blast beyond the limits of quicken sla?
5) Why not? Ex attacks aren't magical, and the simulacrums can perform combat maneuvers.
7) DMG p267. Its on the d20srd under wondrous items.
8) It does matter a little I think because it boosts the summoned elemental from Brazier of Controlling Fire Elemental from large to huge. The item itself is at-will and infinite duration so getting an upgrade for free sounds huge.

2) no, of course not. it'll function if it's under the allowed cap
5) it's got nothing to do with whether they're magical. trickery devotion tells you everything your duplicate can do. ex attacks are not on the list, so you can't do them
7) "patch of earth' refers to the ground you're standing by. you just need to go stand someplace else.
8) well, there's no listed cost, so don't worry about it. if your gm's not going to block you from getting it, then just jam it in there. the item is grotesquely expensive, and in no way a good use of resources, so giving you a slightly stronger monster is hardly going to break your game

sorcererlover
2017-09-17, 03:27 PM
2) no, of course not. it'll function if it's under the allowed cap
5) it's got nothing to do with whether they're magical. trickery devotion tells you everything your duplicate can do. ex attacks are not on the list, so you can't do them
7) "patch of earth' refers to the ground you're standing by. you just need to go stand someplace else.
8) well, there's no listed cost, so don't worry about it. if your gm's not going to block you from getting it, then just jam it in there. the item is grotesquely expensive, and in no way a good use of resources, so giving you a slightly stronger monster is hardly going to break your game

5) Aren't attacks Combat Maneuvers? So why not Ex attacks? How about Ex qualities like poison or energy damage?
7) Oh I get it, that makes more sense. So you hold the stone, target a patch of earth near you, and if it's not sand or unhwen you summon a huge earth elemental. How big does a patch have to be? A fistful? Equal to the elemental's size?
8) How is it not a good use of resources? They're at will, so if one dies you just summon another one, and another one, and another one, and another one. No daily limit. I mean sure it's not the most optimized use of resources, but still.

Venger
2017-09-17, 03:47 PM
5) Aren't attacks Combat Maneuvers? So why not Ex attacks? How about Ex qualities like poison or energy damage?
7) Oh I get it, that makes more sense. So you hold the stone, target a patch of earth near you, and if it's not sand or unhwen you summon a huge earth elemental. How big does a patch have to be? A fistful? Equal to the elemental's size?
8) How is it not a good use of resources? They're at will, so if one dies you just summon another one, and another one, and another one, and another one. No daily limit. I mean sure it's not the most optimized use of resources, but still.

2) no. trickery devotion tells you what it does. that is not on the list. you can't do it.
7) yeah that's how it works. it doesn't specify so it doesn't matter
8) you could better spend your 100k on other items that actually do something. the problem isn't just that it's lackluster it's that it comes at the opportunity of buying different things.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-18, 12:45 AM
Venger is right. Trickery Devotion is just an unseen servant with enough strength to hurt stuff. Immune to normal attacks they gotta be killed (pretty easily) by AoE spells. They're just wall of force with a shape of a creature and able to smack others with that force.