PDA

View Full Version : Dragon monk

eyeman927
2017-09-17, 04:02 PM
Hey guys back need a little help again looking for a dragon monk build I thought of the cool cliche cosmetic of a monk that when he punches or kicks dragons head claws etc show as energy and wanted to make the build fun and work without a huge feat sink I've found a few things and know monk but wanted to ask the all mighty giant tip for help. Thanks guys!

Remuko
2017-09-17, 04:12 PM
Hey guys back need a little help again looking for a dragon monk build I thought of the cool cliche cosmetic of a monk that when he punches or kicks dragons head claws etc show as energy and wanted to make the build fun and work without a huge feat sink I've found a few things and know monk but wanted to ask the all mighty giant tip for help. Thanks guys!

What do you actually want? If you want to say that stuff appears when your monk attacks you can, its fluff, its mutable. It has no impact on game mechanics or stats. Can you be more specific about what you want?

SirNibbles
2017-09-17, 04:26 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask.

If you're looking for a Monk whose attacks look like a dragon's claws when he attacks, I would recommend some sort of Sorcerer/Monk gish using the Spell Thematics feat (Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 44). It allows your spells to manifest with a certain theme. You could choose this theme to be 'Dragon' and cast spells which enhance your Unarmed Strike or which generally affect your body, such as Babau Slime (Spell Compendium, page 22) in order to give yourself a somewhat draconic appearance.

Silverbrow Human
Sorcerer 2/Monk 6/Abjurant Champion 5
At first level, take Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane, page 181) and use your human bonus feat to get Spell Thematics.
Take Ascetic Mage (Complete Adventurer, page 105) at 3rd level so your Monk abilities are keyed to Charisma instead of Wisdom.

Alternatively, you could go with a Wild Monk (Dragon Magazine #324, page 97) to gain Wild Shape, then go into Master of Many Forms (Complete Adventurer, page 58) or pick up the feat Dragon Wild Shape (Draconomicon, page 105) to eventually be able to Wild Shape into a dragon.

Bronk
2017-09-17, 04:32 PM
You might want to look into the monk prestige class 'Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries' from the Draconomicon, that fits pretty well.

ATHATH
2017-09-17, 04:46 PM
You could also be a Totemist, refluff your chakras to be dragon-themed, and give your character the backstory of "trained in a monastery to learn how to unlock the draconic heritage hidden within his soul" (or something like that).

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-17, 10:01 PM
imho go Clawlock.

Eldritch Claws(feat) are what you are looking for. They will easily fit your fluff desires and bring enough power for optimization.
Together with Beast Strike (feat) you get double unarmed + eldritch blast dmg.

Have a look at my clawlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518880)(ubercharger) for inspiration (or refluff it, if you like it as it is). It's main focus is deception and perception and he has several layers of em. Could easily fit the fluff of a more stealthy dragon (e.g. Black Dragons).

And as special fluff bonus on top of the cake, refluff your Eldritch Blast to come out of your mouth to mimic a dragons breath weapon. While not very effective, it's still a ranged option and you can abuse it for roleplaying stuff^^

CharonsHelper
2017-09-18, 07:11 AM
Pathfinder has a Scaled Fist monk archetype. It mainly uses CHA in place of WIS for monk abilities, but it has a few other tweaks, including eventually gaining a breath weapon.

mastermisha1
2017-09-18, 07:41 AM
In a more litersl sense, the Draconic Fist ACF (Dragon Magic) transforms your unarmed strikes into a specific energy type based on any draconic ancestry you may have (fire by default or if lacking any).

Fliggl
2017-09-18, 01:29 PM
You want something like this?

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_513301/WH-Hanzo5.JPG

Take Fiery Fists (PHB2) as your 2nd level bonus feat and tell the other players, that your burning fists look exactly like this.

eyeman927
2017-09-21, 11:08 PM
Hey guys just to clear things up for the people already posting in looking for a dragon monk build plain as that the idea was born from fluff but I want to make it something more I came up with monk sorcerer dragon decedent (dragon magic) and enlightened fist the build is very feat starved so passed 20 ill probs take a 2 lvl dip in fighter and just keep going