PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade type class?

Shadowbane13
2017-09-17, 06:40 PM
Hey my group is starting a new campaign. I played a lot of 3.5e and loved the duskblade class. Is there an equivalent one in 5th edition? Something similar?

Varlon
2017-09-17, 06:48 PM
I don't have much experience with 3.5, but take a look at the Eldritch Knight subclass of Fighter; they're (heavily-armored, though DEX builds are possible) combatants that use abjuration and evocation spells to enhance their fighting.

Haldir
2017-09-17, 06:53 PM
Bladesinger is your best bet.

NecroDancer
2017-09-17, 07:00 PM
Warlock, pact of the blade

Kane0
2017-09-17, 07:13 PM
Is Unearthed Arcana and/or Homebrew an option?

Tons to choose from if so. I'd suggest the Invoker in my sig but I'm biased.

If not you have the Eldritch Knight, Blade Warlock, Valor Bard, War Cleric, Bladesinger Wizard and multiclasses like Sorcerer/Paladin or Warlock/Paladin as potential options for a half fighty half casty type character.

Haldir
2017-09-17, 07:15 PM
Doesn't get enough spells. Shield proficiency and weapon proficiencies are nice, but Duskblade was essentially 3.5 version of the Bladesinger at least in fluff. A bladelock would be waaaaay too limited in terms of spells.

Shadowbane13
2017-09-17, 08:26 PM
DM said homebrew and UA are out. So yeah. I was looking at EK and I'm just thinking of possibilities. Down side is my dm likes to do more story role playing than combat. So idk if such a combat heavy character is worth it. I'm going to check out bladesinger now

Shadowbane13
2017-09-17, 08:42 PM
Also a better way to describe my ultimaste goal is to say I'm trying to build cloud strife. Which duskblade fit very nicely in 3.5 So that's why I'm asking. It was between a dragoon jumping style character or cloud.

Kane0
2017-09-17, 08:52 PM
You can always multiclass. Fighter 12 / Wizard 8 gives you spell slots as if you were a 12th level caster as well as second wind, action surge, fighting style, three attacks and a summonable sword.

Haldir
2017-09-17, 11:39 PM
Probs can't do Cloud with Bladesinger, so EK or multiclass is your best bet.

Khrysaes
2017-09-18, 06:35 AM
Int based Paladin with a custom oath & spell list of the arcane variety.

Mikal
2017-09-18, 07:54 AM
Int based Paladin with a custom oath & spell list of the arcane variety.

So... EK.
Especially since OP said no custom classes allowed.

MeeposFire
2017-09-18, 11:21 PM
To fit the style of the duskblade you really need access to heavy armor and the ability to hit with a spell and a weapon attack in the same turn. To be most true you would need wizard type spells which is why the paladin is out.

I think an EK is about perfect for what you want conceptually though if you want more spells then I think you want at least EK7 so you can attack with a cantrip (booming blade or GFB) and strike with your weapon. If you do not mind having high cha instead of the traditional high int you could go with a high cha and instead multiclass with a combo of any of these classes paladin (smite which further enhances the sword blow with magic concept), warlock (potentially smite and some interesting spells), and sorc (more spell slots and quicken spell which brings back one of the other duskblade abilities in bonus/swift action casting of a spell).

Perhaps EK7-8/sorc12-13 (stone if allowed if not pick one that fits you best) or EK7-8/paladin or warlock 2-4/Sorc for the rest. The first one allows you to cast a cantrip and then strike with your weapon in one turn and you can also quicken a spell and then use an attack action as well which fits the classic duskblade. The second does that and adds smite damage on top for better burst damage (a duskblade staple) but at the cost of burning spells faster and getting overall less spells total on the whole and not quite as high level spells. If you want more devoted warrior and less casting (but more than normal EK) you could go up to EK 11 or 12 for the extra attack when using quicken spell and the attack action but you will once again lose spells and spell levels.