PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Quick help for a player.

Metahuman1
2017-09-18, 01:53 AM
I've limited internet right now, so if I don't respond quickly to this thread, that's why.

I have a player in my game whom is making a back up character, as I've told all my players to have a couple ready in case there character should die.

He's interested in rolling a cleric, but he said he likes the idea of rolling a cleric who can cover the rogue's job. Sneaking and trapfinding specifically. I told him I'd look into it.

I know the Trickery Domain is a starting point, and going Cloistered Cleric for the extra skill ranks, but what other ideas does the playground have for getting Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Search and Disable Device as class skills, and for getting Trapfinding with a minimum of Multy-classing?

Venger
2017-09-18, 02:03 AM
here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills) is a handy guide when it comes to adding new skills.

clerics have a lot of options available with their category of initiate feats.

unfortunately, you can't obtain all of those skills without multiclassing even if you allocate all your other resources to it. even if you do want to skulk, you don't need to invest points in all the same skill taxes rogues do since you have a bunch of spells that do all the rogue busy work for you (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/findTraps.htm)

Eldariel
2017-09-18, 02:28 AM
Let's see. You really just need Search, Disable Device, Hide and Move Silently. Cloistered Cleric covers most of the rest; then you just use control or summon or whatever spells instead of trying to Sneak Attack. You want:

- Kobold Domain (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) Granted Power (either Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment or just taking the domain - but as a racial domain, it's best accessed through feat)
- Trickery Domain (fine choice for Spontaneous Domain Casting [PHBII], Invisibility, Disguise, etc. at Will is great)

Move Silently isn't available through skill specific feats nor is it available as a domain power. You can use the feats granting any skill such as Aereni Focus [Elf, PGtE] or Flexible Mind (Anarchic) [DR#326). Alternatively, you can take Able Learner [Races of Destiny] and multiclass in Ruathar [Races of the Wild] on level 6. Hide is the more important of the two though, and you have Guidance of the Avatar [WoTC Site (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)] and Divine Insight [Spell Compendium] to further buff your skills.

Other domains of interest are Spell [Spell Compendium] (access to Arcane spells of great use to Rogue types such as Alter Self, Invisibility [already in Trickery though], Silent Image, Polymorph & co.), Transformation [Races of Eberron] (as above but without having to use Anyspell; Anyspell is superversatile though so it's probably better, but this one has Shapechange if the game goes that long), Travel (I needn't explain the benefits of Fly, Teleport, etc. right? Also great granted power, Freedom of Movement at will), Luck (mostly for the reroll) and such.

If he also wants to be a social monkey, Pact domain would round your Bluff/Diplomacy setup out with Intimidate/Sense Motive. Though maxing Bluff/Diplomacy/Sense Motive/Intimidate/Hide/Move Silently/Search/Disable Device/Concentration/Spellcraft with leftover ranks for some Knowledges would require a very high Intelligence.

You'll want ½ or 1 rank in Open Lock so if need be, you can use Guidance of the Avatar, Knock (Anyspell would grant access to it) or such to open it.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-18, 03:15 AM
As a small add on, there is a ring in Dragon Compendium that gives the wearer trap finding and +3 on search. 11k if I recall correctly.

Venger
2017-09-18, 08:10 AM
As a small add on, there is a ring in Dragon Compendium that gives the wearer trap finding and +3 on search. 11k if I recall correctly.

keeper's guide. +3 insight bonus on search for trapfinding only, and it's 24k