PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and advice on a twf OaA paladin? Or barbarian half orc

Sir cryosin
2017-09-18, 08:55 AM
So I'm thinking of making a oath of the ancient paladin for are start to the campaign Tome of annihilation. I'm thinking of going Vhuman and picking up duel wielder.

I also like S&B shield master

Or a gwm greatsword.

What about a twf half orc with axes

PeteNutButter
2017-09-18, 09:09 AM
The other options (not TWF) work better with paladin or at least they are supported by the fighting styles. A bonus action attack is a nice perk when you add smites onto it or the free +1d8 at paladin 11.

A fighter dip is good choice to pick up the fighting style if you want to TWF. The main problem with TWF is that polearm master is just better.

Foxhound438
2017-09-18, 11:23 AM
You could get the best of both worlds and one hand a quarterstaff and helicopter spin it.

I know, a lot of people will argue how "realistic" that is, but if others want to be pedantic about realism be a wizard and fart fireballs all campaign because that's way more real than holding a long-ish stick 3/4 of the length down, doing overhead swings with the longer end and jabbing with the short part.

But as far as 2wf goes, my recommendation would be to take fighter level 1 for the proper style. It isn't a huge difference, but it's just as minor as having dual wielder (the feat) for the extra 1 damage per attack and 1 AC. A fighter start makes the bonus action attack more reliable in terms of damage, basically. Still grab dual wielder as well if you decide this is the right choice. Defense style from paladin 2 makes your AC as high as the same build with a shield, so that's pretty good.

But my biggest recommendation of all is to start with inspiring leader and just be a s&b guy. You lose bonus action economy early game, but you can pick up shield master at 4 anyways, and in the mean time there are a few good spells on the paladin list that can use your bonus action (wrathful, thunderous smite, and for OoA ensnaring strike)