PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Level Scaling for all Cantrips

foobar1969
2017-09-18, 01:10 PM
Major update: see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v_QztY7nn68JoObJ5F5atoQKlQfCUI1Toi_WtnrsoYY

Direct-damage cantrips scale with level. Why not the rest?

Most of these are slightly weaker than RAW at levels 1-4. To balance this, casters should get one more cantrip at 1st level, but not at later levels. Levels 5-10 you have the usual number at the usual power level. Level 11+ you have one fewer cantrip but they're more effective.

Blade Ward
L1: only resist non-magical weapons.
L5: as written.
L11: duration 2 rounds.
L17: 3 rounds. (or is this too good? use 1/3rd of your actions to halve physical damage?)

Dancing Lights
L1: only 2 lights or small humanoid.
L11: no concentration. (only one casting at a time)
L17: 6 lights.

Druidcraft
L1: only predict weather the next hour.
L11: may use cleaning and food effects from Prestidigitation.
L17: may use tremor effect from Thaumaturgy.

Friends
L1: duration concentration 3 rounds.
L11: target up to 2 adjacent creatures who know each other.
L17: 3 adjacent creatures.

Guidance
L1: duration concentration 3 rounds.
L11: target up to 2 adjacent creatures attempting the same ability check.
L17: 3 adjacent creatures.

Light
L1: requires concentration.
L11: sustain up to 2 lights at the same time.
L17: 3 lights.

Mage Hand
L11: carry up to 20 pounds.
L17: 30 pounds.

Mending
L1: leaves a visible scar.
L11: mend up to 2 feet of damage total, including fragments (e.g. a shattered cup).
L17: 3 feet.

L5: range 240 feet.
L11: may send same message to 2 creatures.
L17: 3 creatures.

Minor Illusion
L11: affect up to 2 adjacent 5-foot cubes.
L17: 3 adjacent cubes.

Prestidigitation
L1: only one non-instant effect at a time; cannot create trinket.
L11: range 20 feet; gain one option from Thaumaturgy except tremors.
L17: components: glance & appropriate body language (e.g. smirk, eyebrow or nose wiggle).

Resistance
L1: as written.
L5: duration concentration 10 minutes.
L11: target up to 2 adjacent creatures; 2 die rolls (total) before the spell ends.
L17: 3 adjacent creatures, 3 die rolls.

Shillelagh
L1: duration 3 rounds.
L11: as an action, you may make 2 attacks with the shillelagh.
L17: shillelagh has reach during your turn.

Spare the Dying
L5: target may spend a Hit Die to heal; can't do so again until after a rest.
L11: target up to 2 creatures. (may use while moving, like extra attacks.)
L17: 3 creatures.

Thaumaturgy
L1: only one non-instant effect at a time; cannot create tremors.
L11: may use fire and marking effects from Prestidigitation.
L17: components: appropriate body language (e.g. glare, scowl, wave).

True Strike
L5: no concentration.
L11: advantage on all attack rolls against target for 1 action next turn.
L17: range 60 feet.

Control Flames
L1: only one non-instant effect at a time; only lasts for 10 minutes.
L11: affect up to 2 adjacent 5-foot cubes that you can see. also, can ignite candle or torch.

Gust
L5: choose direction of push.
L11: affect up to 2 adjacent targets (creatures or objects).
L17: 3 adjacent targets, or one large creature, or 15 lbs object.

Magic Stone
L1: duration 3 rounds.
L11: up to 6 stones. as an action, you may throw 2 stones.
L17: up to 9 stones.

Mold Earth
L11: affect up to 2 adjacent 5-foot cubes that you can see.

Shape Water
L11: affect up to 2 adjacent 5-foot cubes that you can see.

Bahamut Omega
2017-09-22, 10:14 PM
Can you elaborate a bit on your reasons for often having levels 1-4 be weaker than the default in the PHB?

foobar1969
2017-09-24, 06:03 PM
Can you elaborate a bit on your reasons for often having levels 1-4 be weaker than the default in the PHB?
Thanks, that's a valid question. Here are some reasons:

levels 1-4 are quick (DMG p261 says 7 4-hour sessions is reasonable to reach level 5)
low-level characters are rookies, talented but still need more practice
so that granting +1 cantrip at L1 is balanced
most of the nerfs are minor, and don't significantly impact usage

But to be honest, my personal main reason was Thaumaturgy. If every Tiefling in the world, and a big percentage of novitiates, could all make the ground shake whenever they feel like it, it would be literal common knowledge. Commoners would know that little tremors are no more dangerous than a face in the fireplace or a ghostly hand. It's just something the magic people do when they're trying to impress you.

5th level, OTOH, is something you don't see often in a small town. So when all the dishes start rattling on the tables, either they're shocked and awed, or they remember that the last time someone did that but didn't get what he wanted, he opened the masoleum of the town founders and ordered their skeletons to raze the market square.

So, since I've already decided that at least one non-damage cantrip needs level scaling, why not the rest?

p.s. Oh, also for balancing, so there's room for the weaker cantrips to get two scaling boosts. Speaking of which, I was really hoping to get comments on Spare the Dying.

Composer99
2017-09-24, 10:12 PM
Speaking of which, I was really hoping to get comments on Spare the Dying.

Spare the Dying
L1-4: as written.
L5+: target may spend a Hit Die to regain hit points.
L11+: may cast as a Bonus Action.

I would consider swapping the current 5th level and 11th level boosts. Getting to cast this as a bonus action is a nice upgrade, but it doesn't have anything like the swing of letting this cantrip not only stabilise a creature, but get it back up on its feet (as long as it has and is willing to spend its own Hit Dice for that purpose). Having the party tanks become somehing like those inflatable bounce back punch bags (or become like the film version of Steve Rogers (*)) that never stay down when you knock them down is probably fine at 11th level, but it might be a bit much at 5th.

-----
(*) I was hoping to finish this post off with a GIF of Steve Rogers getting punched out in the street fight he gets into early on in Captain America, but, alas, no dice.

Potato_Priest
2017-09-24, 10:46 PM
I see you tried to improve gust a bit, which is a nice touch, and I thought you might want to do the same for resistance.

It's really a pretty uncommon cantrip to see in play, because while you can plan for ability checks (making guidance amazing) planning for saving throws is often difficult, and any caster worth their salt will have a more powerful concentration effect up in combat anyway. I know that I've never seen anyone take it, let alone use it, and it could use some improvement.

foobar1969
2017-09-25, 07:57 AM
Having the party tanks become somehing like those inflatable bounce back punch bags (or become like the film version of Steve Rogers (*))
Good point. I forgot to add: limit the healing part to once per rest per person. or if that's still too strong, maybe once per rest per cleric?

resistance. It's really a pretty uncommon cantrip to see in play, because while you can plan for ability checks (making guidance amazing) planning for saving throws is often difficult, and any caster worth their salt will have a more powerful concentration effect up in combat anyway. I know that I've never seen anyone take it, let alone use it, and it could use some improvement.
That does sound logical. And true, Guidance is a very common pick but I've never seen Resistance used at the table.

Removing concentration would make it an auto-play. I imagine the cleric player putting a lap timer app on their phone. ding "I cast Resistance" . . . ding "I cast Resistance" ... no, I don't want that.

Maybe up the duration, so the cleric can cast it on the scout before exploration and just leave it running for a while.

Composer99
2017-09-25, 10:27 AM
Having the party tanks become something like those inflatable bounce back punch bags (or become like the film version of Steve Rogers (*)) that never stay down when you knock them down is probably fine at 11th level, but it might be a bit much at 5th.

Good point. I forgot to add: limit the healing part to once per rest per person. or if that's still too strong, maybe once per rest per cleric?

I don't think it'll be a problem. If they're spending their own Hit Dice when the cleric casts spare the dying, they're not using them during the next short rest. It's probably in favour of the PCs spending Hit Dice in that way, but then again, if your party's cleric is considering casting this cantrip more than once each combat from 11th level on, the party probably needs the help.

If you think it might be overpowered even so, maybe just keep the casting time as one action and don't buff the spell until 11th level?

Potato_Priest
2017-09-25, 10:22 PM

That does sound logical. And true, Guidance is a very common pick but I've never seen Resistance used at the table.

Removing concentration would make it an auto-play. I imagine the cleric player putting a lap timer app on their phone. ding "I cast Resistance" . . . ding "I cast Resistance" ... no, I don't want that.

Maybe up the duration, so the cleric can cast it on the scout before exploration and just leave it running for a while.

How about if the spell did not get used up when triggered?

That way it's a long-duration very minor buff that still costs concentration. I don't think it would be an auto-pick at any means but it would at least become usable in a fight if it didn't cost you an action every time. Sort of a single target, half the value version of bless.

foobar1969
2017-09-26, 09:37 AM
How about if the spell did not get used up when triggered?

That way it's a long-duration very minor buff that still costs concentration. I don't think it would be an auto-pick at any means but it would at least become usable in a fight if it didn't cost you an action every time. Sort of a single target, half the value version of bless.
Hmm... all saves for duration is potentially 10x effect or even more. The other cantrips only get double range, double target, or 2 extra options.

So: up to two targets, can be used twice (total, not each).

p.s. This provides a small secondary benefit: it the spell ends while the cleric is out of earshot, she'll know the targets need help.

GalacticAxekick
2017-09-26, 12:26 PM
Direct-damage cantrips scale to keep up with increasing health pools, but social, exploration and status effects are just as effective against high and low level foes. For example, the cantrip Sacred Flame would go from a reliable sniping tool at low levels to a borderline harmless effect if it didn't scale, but the cantrip Friends gives you social leverage no matter what, and the cantrip Light remains the most reliable way for a creature without darkvision to see in the dark.

I wouldn't let cantrips that buff or nerf creatures scale, because they grow in power as they buff or nerf more powerful targets. For example, Blade Ward halves damage, whether that's reducing 1d8+3 (~8.5) to 4.25 damage or reducing four hits of 1d8+5 (38) to 19. Similarly, Resistance grants a 1d4 bonus to a save, which is no less incredible at high levels than it was at low levels thanks to bounded accuracy.

On the other hand, cantrips that affect the environment should probably scale: Druidcraft, Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy should have more dramatic, though nonetheless harmless, effects. Control Flames, Gust, Mending, Move Earth and Shape Water should affect larger amounts of material. I'd rewrite Mage Hand to make it as strong and dextrous as the user's own hand so that it would scale with their abilities and proficiencies.

True Strike is a special case where the wording specifically prevents a status effect from scaling. It grants advantage to the next attack the target makes, meaning it becomes less effective as the target gains extra attacks and cannot scale with the target's Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin or Ranger levels. Instead, I'd make it advantage on attacks until the start of your next turn.

foobar1969
2017-10-07, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't let cantrips that buff or nerf creatures scale, because they grow in power as they buff or nerf more powerful targets. For example, Blade Ward halves damage, whether that's reducing 1d8+3 (~8.5) to 4.25 damage or reducing four hits of 1d8+5 (38) to 19. Similarly, Resistance grants a 1d4 bonus to a save, which is no less incredible at high levels than it was at low levels thanks to bounded accuracy.
Well, except that Blade Ward is a mostly terrible waste of action. Scaling it 2 round duration makes it only half as terrible. As for Resistance, I would say the cost of Concentration increases with level, as you get access to more numerous and more powerful options competing for that limited resource.

True Strike is a special case where the wording specifically prevents a status effect from scaling. It grants advantage to the next attack the target makes, meaning it becomes less effective as the target gains extra attacks and cannot scale with the target's Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin or Ranger levels. Instead, I'd make it advantage on attacks until the start of your next turn.
None of the Extra Attack classes have cantrips, except Valor Bard. But True Strike should benefit things like Scorching Rays, so that's a workable idea.

Flashy
2017-10-07, 02:06 PM
None of the Extra Attack classes have cantrips, except Valor Bard. But True Strike should benefit things like Scorching Rays, so that's a workable idea.

There's also Eldritch Knight, Bladesinger Wizard, Blade Pact Warlock, and anyone who took the Magic Initiate feat. It's definitely worth thinking about how it interacts with Extra Attack.

demonslayerelf
2017-10-07, 04:40 PM
As a guy who mostly looks at monsters, not PC options, I can't offer a ton of criticisms here, and I can't really talk about a lot of the larger implications here.

But I mostly agree with GalacticAxeKick's criticisms; I do think that some Exploration/Social/Etc. Cantrips could be scaled(For instance, Friends targeting multiple people; You can use it infinite times anyway, it's not that big of a deal, I think.)

I mean, I do have two relatively minor ones that only I seem to be thinking about, though.
Why aren't they scaling at the same time as the other cantrips? I mean, could you just not think of a 4th permutation of the effects? And some don't follow that, anyway. Consistency is important, mate.

The other thing; I can now repair an entire castle with mending, since it can be any 2 feet of materials, even, apparently, if it's been shattered and scattered. Screw hiring a construction firm, I'll take magic initiate and a few hours.

foobar1969
2017-10-14, 09:28 AM
I mean, I do have two relatively minor ones that only I seem to be thinking about, though.
Why aren't they scaling at the same time as the other cantrips? I mean, could you just not think of a 4th permutation of the effects? And some don't follow that, anyway. Consistency is important, mate.
I suppose you could add a 4th scaling, bumping the non-damage cantrips from 2x baseline to 3x.

Magic Stone and Shillelagh are already inconsistent: damage spells that don't scale. But the purpose of house rules is to fix things you think are wrong with the official rules, so that's a fair point. However, I don't know what to do with them. Suggestions?

The other thing; I can now repair an entire castle with mending, since it can be any 2 feet of materials, even, apparently, if it's been shattered and scattered. Screw hiring a construction firm, I'll take magic initiate and a few hours.
There's an "or" in that sentence, not "and". You can do one or the other. But clarity is important, so I'll reword it.

GalacticAxekick
2017-10-16, 10:48 AM
Well, except that Blade Ward is a mostly terrible waste of action. Scaling it 2 round duration makes it only half as terrible. As for Resistance, I would say the cost of Concentration increases with level, as you get access to more numerous and more powerful options competing for that limited resource.Blade Ward is terrible. Scaling leaves it terrible for at east 4 levels. It should be buffed outright.

I'd make it a reaction that adds spellcasting ability or proficiemcy to AC against one attack, or a reaction that grants resistance to one attack. The outcome is less damage reduction, but no competition with your action, which I think is a net plus.

None of the Extra Attack classes have cantrips, except Valor Bard. But True Strike should benefit things like Scorching Rays, so that's a workable idea.Valor Bards, Eldritch Knights, Bladelocks, martial high elves, martials with the Arcane Initiate feat, and martials who multiclass spellcaster get both.

Plantae
2017-10-19, 12:58 PM
I don't think there's a strong reason to make any of these cantrips weaker at levels 1-4 than they are in the PHB. I agree that the nerfs are pretty minor, but all that means is that you're adding additional complexity to the rules without any real benefit. My desire to use these house rules would be hindered by having to remember to check which cantrips from the PHB are now weaker than the default.

I think what you have here is a good start, but I'd be much more interested in seeing the scaling fully fleshed out for 5th, 11th, and 17th levels.

foobar1969
2017-11-03, 06:43 AM
Blade Ward is terrible. . . . I'd make it a reaction that adds spellcasting ability or proficiemcy to AC against one attack, or a reaction that grants resistance to one attack. The outcome is less damage reduction, but no competition with your action, which I think is a net plus.

Hmm, resistance as a reaction is exactly equal to Uncanny Dodge. That's too much power for a cantrip.

AC boost as a reaction is a really good idea. Proficiency bonus is weak at low level, then surpasses Shield at high level, which is exactly what a scaling cantrip should do relative to a 1st level spell. But that's a completely different spell than Blade Ward.

foobar1969
2017-11-03, 06:58 AM
I don't think there's a strong reason to make any of these cantrips weaker at levels 1-4 than they are in the PHB.
My idea here is to grant +1 cantrip at first level, and remove the extra cantrips gained later. The scaling balances with that.

you're adding additional complexity to the rules without any real benefit. My desire to use these house rules would be hindered by having to remember to check which cantrips from the PHB are now weaker than the default.
That's a valid point. I guess this would only make sense if the table buys in.

GalacticAxekick
2017-11-03, 07:05 AM
Hmm, resistance as a reaction is exactly equal to Uncanny Dodge. That's too much power for a cantrip.True! Good call

AC boost as a reaction is a really good idea. Proficiency bonus is weak at low level, then surpasses Shield at high level, which is exactly what a scaling cantrip should do relative to a 1st level spell. But that's a completely different spell than Blade Ward.It's mechanically different, but thematically and practically identical: the spellcaster magically deflects an incoming attack, and thus the player defends themself. I don't see how mechanically rewriting a broken cantrip is wrong.

foobar1969
2019-05-07, 02:36 PM
I finally added complete 4-tier scaling that a few people requested.

sleepyhead
2019-05-08, 08:21 AM
Move Earth
L11: affect up to two adjacent 5-foot cubes that you can see.

Just thought I should mention that itīs mold earth not move earth (move earth is a 6th level spell)

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-08, 12:05 PM
I love this actually!
a lot of people get that shot of happy-hormones when numbers go up, characters get stronger and things progress. This works perfectly for people hooked on advancement.

foobar1969
2019-05-08, 02:12 PM
Are any of these changes too good, or still not good enough to make a worthwhile pick?
Ideally, every cantrip should be playable, and the right choice for a few common builds, but not an optimized must-have.
I'm not sure if Blade Ward, Resistance, Spare the Dying, and True Strike are balanced.

I love this actually!
a lot of people get that shot of happy-hormones when numbers go up, characters get stronger and things progress. This works perfectly for people hooked on advancement.
Right. I think this way is much more interesting than one more diminishing-returns cantrip at 10th level.

foobar1969
2019-08-28, 07:12 AM
I have substantially overhauled this homebrew and made it into a pretty google doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v_QztY7nn68JoObJ5F5atoQKlQfCUI1Toi_WtnrsoYY

The goal is for every cantrip to be playable and worthwhile but not overpowered or a must-have. Did I succeed?