PDA

View Full Version : Ethereal limits

Dazed1
2017-09-18, 02:00 PM
Did look, apologies if my search-fu failed. Question is from the context of a druid with exalted wild shape, in form of a blink dog, thus with access to blink at will as a free action. I know you can't cast spells from ethereal to material, but what about....
- shared spell. If i'm in ethereal and companion is material, but we're still close, and I cast a spell on myself, does it share per normal?
- command words. Fire seeds as berries, etc. if i cast fire seeds in material, place the berries in material, go to ethereal, and issue command from ethereal...do they explode? No cross-boundary casting is occurring...
- targeting. Call lightning storm, etc. if i cast call lightning storm from material, then go ethereal, can i designate targets from there? If nit, would the strikes actually land on the ethereal side?

Thanks! Newbie player, only char in party to almost die, which has happened 3x, so getting cautious ;)

Necroticplague
2017-09-18, 03:56 PM
- shared spell. If i'm in ethereal and companion is material, but we're still close, and I cast a spell on myself, does it share per normal?
No. You can't be 'close' to a creature on an entirely different plane. That's like asking if you can Share Spell with a familiar in Hell while you're on the Prime.

- command words. Fire seeds as berries, etc. If I cast fire seeds in material, place the berries in material, go to ethereal, and issue command from ethereal...do they explode? No cross-boundary casting is occurring...
Nope, doesn't work.

Ethereal creatures are invisible, inaudible, insubstantial, and scentless

- targeting. Call lightning storm, etc. if i cast call lightning storm from material, then go ethereal, can i designate targets from there? If nit, would the strikes actually land on the ethereal side?
Nope, doesn't work.

An ethereal creature can’t affect the Material Plane

DrMotives
2017-09-18, 07:08 PM
Ah, but you aren't able to just hang out in the Ethereal with blink dog form, you just blink in and out of it. So as the ability is just the blink spell we see that

Any individually targeted spell has a 50% chance to fail against you while you’re blinking unless your attacker can target invisible, ethereal creatures. Your own spells have a 20% chance to activate just as you go ethereal, in which case they typically do not affect the Material Plane.

Dazed1
2017-09-18, 08:02 PM
That's like asking if you can Share Spell with a familiar in Hell while you're on the Prime.

Err...while you're on Prime, can you hear and see Hell, and is it happening in the same 3-dimensional space as you? Force and Abjuration both cross, so it's not like the two places are entirely disconnected so far as magic is concerned :) Solid objects are still non-transparent, you can intentionally pass through them but at risk of reforming while still in them - and you know that you're passing through them. That said, I'm iffy on all 3 things myself thus the question, made more complicated given my incorrect understanding of Blink Dogs...

but you aren't able to just hang out in the Ethereal with blink dog form, you just blink in and out of it Huh - I was reading this "A blink dog can use blink as the spell (caster level 8th), and can evoke or end the effect as a free action" and imagining it meant a blink dog could control when he'd be where, but yeah...he's just turning on/off the blink spell. Oops.

If I cast an abjuration spell on myself, then I wouldn't even need the 20% test to see if companion got it, correct? Since abjuration crosses between material/ethereal?

Crake
2017-09-18, 08:12 PM
If I cast an abjuration spell on myself, then I wouldn't even need the 20% test to see if companion got it, correct? Since abjuration crosses between material/ethereal?

Abjuration and force are only one way, material -> ethereal, not vice versa.

Dazed1
2017-09-18, 08:26 PM
Abjuration and force are only one way, material -> ethereal, not vice versa.

Ah, ok. Then its just whether the whatever that makes shared spells work, works, for which the consensus seems to be 'no' :) ok, all works for me! Thanks!

Necroticplague
2017-09-18, 08:31 PM
Err...while you're on Prime, can you hear and see Hell, and is it happening in the same 3-dimensional space as you? Force and Abjuration both cross, so it's not like the two places are entirely disconnected so far as magic is concerned :) Solid objects are still non-transparent, you can intentionally pass through them but at risk of reforming while still in them - and you know that you're passing through them.
A force effect originating on the Material Plane extends onto the Ethereal Plane, so that a wall of force blocks an ethereal creature, and a magic missile can strike one (provided the spellcaster can see the ethereal target). Gaze effects and abjurations also extend from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane. None of these effects extend from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane.
All those things you listed are one-way only.

2.You're not in the same 3-d space. There's a translation between the two, but they're separate spaces. You're not even on the same plane. It's possible for entirely different terrains to exist on the two (though the ethereal tends to be pretty empty).

Psyren
2017-09-19, 12:27 AM
As others have noted, the same miss chance will apply to this stuff as would apply to casting normally, because the miss chance is due to you physically not being there and being there in rapid succession.

Eldariel
2017-09-19, 04:16 AM
There's however nothing stopping you from picking up and wielding a force-weapon (e.g Riverine) on the material plane from the ethereal plane and wielding it against material opponents (though of course, if you hold it while you go Ethereal, it goes Ethereal too and the benefit is lost so doesn't really work with blinking).