PDA

View Full Version : Superior Templated Cow?

kalos72
2017-09-18, 02:16 PM
I was just looking over my notes about the Vadalis Beastkeeper class and the Magebred trick and thought....what about "improved" cows?

Magebred bovine would be be hardy and easier to manage, can anyone think of other templates that would make any domesticated animals more valuable or highly sought after? I am thinking specifally for commercial purposes "Wow I need me some Neverwinter Cows"!

Horses? Others?:smile:

Drakevarg
2017-09-18, 02:23 PM
Given the nature of D&D, templates would be mostly useful for producing warbeasts. I don't think there are any real hard rules for how increases or decreases in physical ability scores alter the flavor of meat. I suppose the Woodling template would be a great way to corner the vegetarian meat-substitute market...

Bronk
2017-09-18, 02:30 PM
Troll blooded... basically a replication of the Meat Beasts from Vampire Hunter D... cattle you just carve part of off, and it grows back in no time.

Kobold Esq
2017-09-18, 04:01 PM
Anything that increases Constitution would be of benefit for a farm animal. Healthier animals are more resistant to disease, a major issue if your world doesn't have vaccination or anything like that. Obviously bonuses to strength and speed would help for work animals.

Thurbane
2017-09-18, 04:09 PM
Half-troll Cow: slice off infinite steaks! :smallbiggrin:

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-18, 05:13 PM
Troll blooded... basically a replication of the Meat Beasts from Vampire Hunter D... cattle you just carve part of off, and it grows back in no time.

When you think about how to get a half-troll cow, well let's say it's a pretty gross process

Thurbane
2017-09-18, 05:50 PM

...I prefer to think of it as the alien from Torchwood S02E04 "Meat".

...or the short story "Grolion of Almery" by Matthew Hughes, in Songs of the Dying Earth.

I guess it's a trope that's been around for a while. :smalltongue:

When you think about how to get a half-troll cow, well let's say it's a pretty gross process

Don't ever look at Bastards and Bloodlines then. *shudder*

Dwarves getting it on with Gargoyles is one of the least weird racial combos.

kalos72
2017-09-18, 07:04 PM
What about a template that adds a healing/cure benefit to the meat?

Darrin
2017-09-19, 07:12 AM
What about a template that adds a healing/cure benefit to the meat?

Not sure if this link still works, but if you're doing anything with cows...

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Moomoo.pdf

atemu1234
2017-09-19, 01:27 PM
Dwarves getting it on with Gargoyles is one of the least weird racial combos.

To be fair, they are reincarnated into that form, not born from a natural hybridization. Though they do breed true, so...

My go-to example for weird are the eagle/elf hybrids, because their reason for existence was "the first thing a wizard does after achieving 17th level and learning to shapechange is to bone a giant eagle, for some reason".

Thurbane
2017-09-19, 04:54 PM
To be fair, they are reincarnated into that form, not born from a natural hybridization. Though they do breed true, so...

My go-to example for weird are the eagle/elf hybrids, because their reason for existence was "the first thing a wizard does after achieving 17th level and learning to shapechange is to bone a giant eagle, for some reason".

The Halfling/Blink Dog hybrids were my "WTF?" moment first time I read the book.

Goaty14
2017-09-19, 10:19 PM
I would suggest Feral because it is amoung the more stupidly broken templates... But it would also make said cow horrendously scary. Also applying Feral gives -4 Int, which (provided that this cow doesn't have abnormal intelligence) would kill it. render it unable to move.

EDIT: On the bright side, any time you want to use this cows on your enemies, you drop it in front of them, and then cast Fox's Cunning on it, and goes nuts, and then drops back down when the spell ends.

Venger
2017-09-19, 10:56 PM
I would suggest Feral because it is amoung the more stupidly broken templates... But it would also make said cow horrendously scary. Also applying Feral gives -4 Int, which (provided that this cow doesn't have abnormal intelligence) would kill it. render it unable to move.

EDIT: On the bright side, any time you want to use this cows on your enemies, you drop it in front of them, and then cast Fox's Cunning on it, and goes nuts, and then drops back down when the spell ends.

int can't drop below 1 via the application of templates.

Feantar
2017-09-20, 02:22 PM
The Halfling/Blink Dog hybrids were my "WTF?" moment first time I read the book.

No one gets between a half-man and his dog.

Thurbane
2017-09-20, 04:44 PM
No one gets between a half-man and his dog.

Sorry for the derail, but here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21232831&postcount=4) my synopsis of some of the B&B races. I should get around to writing one up for all the playable races in that book...

Knaight
2017-09-20, 04:59 PM
Depending on how it works out any template that gives fire or cold resistance makes a lot of sense for sheep, alpaca, and other animals used for fur.

Thurbane
2017-09-20, 06:22 PM
I'd suggest some of the following:

Chameleon Creature (hide your cow from predators)
Dungeonbred Monster (more cows per acre)
Mineral Warrior (that's gonna be some tough leather)
Monster of Legend (another way to get fast healing for NI steaks)
Greenbound Creature/Wood Element Creature (steaks for vegetarians)
Warbeast (more HD = more meat?)

Afgncaap5
2017-09-20, 11:32 PM
If I understand the process correctly, wouldn't applying the half-troll template make the cow be a giant? If so, then I think that the troll-cow could have the lycanthrope template applied to itself.

All you need, then, would be to find a variety of cow that's a predator, scavenger, or omnivore, and you could make it a half-troll half-cow werecow.

Add in the Magebred template to the baseline creature and you've got quite a hearty, potentially monstrously evil during the full moon, bovine.

Arael666
2017-09-21, 09:58 AM
I don't know about cows since I couldn't find stats for them on the net, nor bull for that matter. But Bisons would be terrific and very resilient creatures to breed by our worlds standards.

Being resistant to cold and fire means they could be located almost anywhere in the world, as long as you can supply them food and water. Also, DR 5/magic (5 hd creatures) means most natural predators would have the toughest time trying to kills these, I would argue it would be nigh impossible even for a whole pack of wolves to kill even a single bison.

Telonius
2017-09-21, 11:41 AM
If I understand the process correctly, wouldn't applying the half-troll template make the cow be a giant? If so, then I think that the troll-cow could have the lycanthrope template applied to itself.

All you need, then, would be to find a variety of cow that's a predator, scavenger, or omnivore, and you could make it a half-troll half-cow werecow.

Add in the Magebred template to the baseline creature and you've got quite a hearty, potentially monstrously evil during the full moon, bovine.

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1347434224l/899861.jpg

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-21, 02:48 PM
If you war Beast a dungeonbred cow, and advance it, and chaos shuffle away any useless feats, replacing them with open minded and/or a feat to grant knowledge planes. You can take planar Touchstone for the were Glade, and then your cow can turn into a werewolf

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-21, 02:51 PM
If you war Beast a dungeonbred cow, and advance it, and chaos shuffle away any useless feats, replacing them with open minded and/or a feat to grant knowledge planes. You can take planar Touchstone for the were Glade, and then your cow can turn into a werewolf. Not half man/half wolf, but a half-cow/half-wolf hybrid form. That's not nothing.

And it gets the shape-changer subtype.

Goaty14
2017-09-21, 07:19 PM
I'd suggest some of the following:

Greenbound Creature/Wood Element Creature (steaks for vegetarians)

You forgot Woodling (MM III)

Thurbane
2017-09-21, 07:28 PM
You forgot Woodling (MM III)

A woodling's type does not change, but it possess fully developed plant traits (See below).

I can just see some picky eater at a restaurant:

Are these veggie steaks Wood Element, or Woodling?
I'd have to ask the chef, sir, but I understand they are petty much the same thing...
How dare you! I don't eat anything with a face!

:tongue: