PDA

View Full Version : Blood Bowl Warhammer world + Dungeons and Dragons?

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 02:27 PM
I had an idea for a campaign in which certain star players of various Blood Bowl teams lay down the pigskin and pick up their swords. Orcs, Humans, even Goblins and Skaven band together to save their world from a deadly invasion. The D&D gods of war combine forces with the Chaos Gods, dissatisfied with the ceasefire on hostilities and war that Blood Bowl brings, and are attempting to wipe out Blood Bowl once and for all so that everything will return to a constant state of war and bloodthirst. The people of the world, however, love and celebrate Blood Bowl, and they still war sometimes! They've decided to fight back against the armies attacking their world.

Does D&D lend itself well naturally to the world of Warhammer Fantasy (Age of Sigmar, now, I guess)? What would I need to adapt, if anything? How would you go about doing this concept? I've never been a DM before, but I thought this would be a funny idea. I love Blood Bowl/Warhammer & D&D so I'd love to bring the two together somehow.

90sMusic
2017-09-18, 02:40 PM
I'd just keep all the 5e rules in place and simply make up new race traits for the various races from blood bowl.

Blood Bowl is part of the Warhammer Fantasy world, so I would be EXTREMELY surprised if someone hadn't already converted warhammer fantasy races into 5e compatible races. Just google some conversions, most of the world is probably already done for you, and you can tweak and adjust slightly as needed.

Interestingly enough, i've held games where players played a sport in-game that used similar rules to bloodbowl. It was pretty fun.

Unoriginal
2017-09-18, 02:48 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to challenge the gods to a competition of Blood Bowl for the very survival of the sport?

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to challenge the gods to a competition of Blood Bowl for the very survival of the sport?

Probably, but the gods hate Blood Bowl because it causes a cease to war. Everyone, no matter how much they hate each other, in the Blood Bowl world lore, sets aside their differences to watch/play in a Blood Bowl match. It usually ends wars and there's a temporary truce. The gods hate this, because war has dwindled (somewhat) and so they are invading to stamp out Blood Bowl and reignite War as it once was.

The chaos gods don't really care, they just think it's funny.

grumbaki
2017-09-18, 05:58 PM
Long time Warhammer Fatnasy RP player here.

For adventures in the warhammer world, I would generally say go with WFRP. It is darker. It is grittier. Combat is much more dangerous, and low level enemies will always be dangerous. Magic is also dangerous to use, and wizards who cast spells without good reason don't last long. Healing spells are also few and far between, and aren't guaranteed to work. Even seeing demons can lead to getting insanity points, and magic items have a tendency to cause permanent mutations and/or loss of your soul.

D&D is much more high fantasy. Magic items are rarely cursed, and even if they are there is a spell for that. Magic is safe, reliable, and common place. Once you hit a certain level you are pretty much immune to low level mooks. If you survive combat, all you need is a long rest to feel better.

They are very different systems.

You are looking to mix 2 different lores together. So decide for yourself. Do you want a gritty, grimdark adventure where your players start off as rat catchers, toll booth guards, failed wizard apprentices, and other 'normal folk', then play WFRP.

If you want your players to be heroes, who can cut their way through a horde of enemies, and who can act like real heroes, go with D&D.

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 07:56 PM
Long time Warhammer Fatnasy RP player here.

For adventures in the warhammer world, I would generally say go with WFRP. It is darker. It is grittier. Combat is much more dangerous, and low level enemies will always be dangerous. Magic is also dangerous to use, and wizards who cast spells without good reason don't last long. Healing spells are also few and far between, and aren't guaranteed to work. Even seeing demons can lead to getting insanity points, and magic items have a tendency to cause permanent mutations and/or loss of your soul.

D&D is much more high fantasy. Magic items are rarely cursed, and even if they are there is a spell for that. Magic is safe, reliable, and common place. Once you hit a certain level you are pretty much immune to low level mooks. If you survive combat, all you need is a long rest to feel better.

They are very different systems.

You are looking to mix 2 different lores together. So decide for yourself. Do you want a gritty, grimdark adventure where your players start off as rat catchers, toll booth guards, failed wizard apprentices, and other 'normal folk', then play WFRP.

If you want your players to be heroes, who can cut their way through a horde of enemies, and who can act like real heroes, go with D&D.

Well Blood Bowl is a little sillier, and Wizards can use high levels spells to change the pace of the game, although in the board game they have been replaced with special play cards. I feel like Blood Bowl might be a tad more "high fantasy" than real Warhammer Fantasy. It's mostly a goofy spin-off. I was hoping to combine the goofy spin-off setting with a world invasion and mechanics of D&D.

EvilAnagram
2017-09-19, 07:35 AM

Bloodbowl campaigns are so fun!

grumbaki
2017-09-19, 01:01 PM
Well Blood Bowl is a little sillier, and Wizards can use high levels spells to change the pace of the game, although in the board game they have been replaced with special play cards. I feel like Blood Bowl might be a tad more "high fantasy" than real Warhammer Fantasy. It's mostly a goofy spin-off. I was hoping to combine the goofy spin-off setting with a world invasion and mechanics of D&D.

Very true. D&D5 might well work.

LordNibbler
2017-09-19, 03:25 PM
For our 5e conversion from Warhammer RPG, we did the following:
1) Used the Gritty Realism rules for spontaneous healing but PHB rules for recovery of class features. Critical wounds (long-lasting effects) had consequences on ability checks, etc.
2) No very rare magic items were allowed.
3) Except for wizards/sorcerers and clerics, we tried to steer clear of casting classes (the taint of chaos!).
4) Pistols (1d10+dex damage, range 30') allowed.
5) Terror checks require Cha save.

All in all, it worked pretty well.

InspectorG
2017-09-19, 11:36 PM
Probably, but the gods hate Blood Bowl because it causes a cease to war. Everyone, no matter how much they hate each other, in the Blood Bowl world lore, sets aside their differences to watch/play in a Blood Bowl match. It usually ends wars and there's a temporary truce. The gods hate this, because war has dwindled (somewhat) and so they are invading to stamp out Blood Bowl and reignite War as it once was.

The chaos gods don't really care, they just think it's funny.

The Gods hate Blood Bowl because Nuffle rules supreme. Pure jealousy.

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 12:28 AM
The Gods hate Blood Bowl because Nuffle rules supreme. Pure jealousy.

Exactly. /10char