PDA

View Full Version : AL To a help

HolyDraconus
2017-09-18, 04:03 PM
Spoilers, of course

Good. So it's been revealed to my dm friend who is running it that, starting with chapter 3, nonspellcasters get screwed in combat. The book has a few magic weapons, but most are in the hands of good aligned npcs. So how to solve this problem?

JAL_1138
2017-09-18, 06:24 PM
The Magic Weapon spell solves that for at least one martial, assuming you have a caster who has it. Bonus: occupies your spellcaster's Concentration, making it harder for them to use disabling effects or stronger buffs.

Adventurers' League has additional non-hardcover modules for Season 7 in Tier 1 and Tier 2 that should feature magic weapons as loot, hopefully; you may want to run a couple of those once they're out. There are older DDEX, CCC, and DDAL adventures with magic weapons too; you can run some of those. Although I'd recommend against running Season 4, since it costs a fair bit of downtime days (and a bit of gold) to leave Barovia except in a couple of modules.

Once characters reach level 5, have 10 renown, and one Secret Mission for their faction under their belts, they can straight-up buy +1 magic weapons from their factions. The Secret Missions can be a bit tricky to get, though, since there's a limited selection of modules that have them and a list of those is hard to find.

Now that certs aren't required, I think there's a Facebook group or other online site for item trading; you might find a higher-tier character looking to get rid of a +1 weapon they don't need anymore in exchange for an item of equivalent rarity.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-18, 10:23 PM
Magic weapon is out. This is AL, and, sad to say, but if the character needs someone else in order to do their job party cohesion goes even lower.

Dalebert
2017-09-18, 10:57 PM
Magic weapon is out. This is AL, and, sad to say, but if the character needs someone else in order to do their job party cohesion goes even lower.

Someone else doing their job? That seems like an unduly negative take on teamwork.

Anyhoo, great answers above. Said pretty much everything I was going to say. I'm in that Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1004726586226169/). Uncommon and rare magic weapons seem to be in abundance. I doubt you'll have much trouble trading for one with any sort of interesting magic item.

Chugger
2017-09-18, 11:06 PM
Someone else doing their job? That seems like an unduly negative take on teamwork.

Anyhoo, great answers above. Said pretty much everything I was going to say. I'm in that Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1004726586226169/). Uncommon and rare magic weapons seem to be in abundance. I doubt you'll have much trouble trading for one with any sort of interesting magic item.

Thanks for linking that.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-19, 12:29 AM
The Magic Weapon spell solves that for at least one martial, assuming you have a caster who has it. Bonus: occupies your spellcaster's Concentration, making it harder for them to use disabling effects or stronger buffs.

Adventurers' League has additional non-hardcover modules for Season 7 in Tier 1 and Tier 2 that should feature magic weapons as loot, hopefully; you may want to run a couple of those once they're out. There are older DDEX, CCC, and DDAL adventures with magic weapons too; you can run some of those. Although I'd recommend against running Season 4, since it costs a fair bit of downtime days (and a bit of gold) to leave Barovia except in a couple of modules.

Once characters reach level 5, have 10 renown, and one Secret Mission for their faction under their belts, they can straight-up buy +1 magic weapons from their factions. The Secret Missions can be a bit tricky to get, though, since there's a limited selection of modules that have them and a list of those is hard to find.

Now that certs aren't required, I think there's a Facebook group or other online site for item trading; you might find a higher-tier character looking to get rid of a +1 weapon they don't need anymore in exchange for an item of equivalent rarity.
On laptop now so I can elaborate. He's trying to NOT go too wide in random modules, since they wanted to be done by roughly early dec or late nov, which is doable as of now. As is, the pure Barb is harshly affected, as is the pure Rogue, with the Cleric kinda affected but not really since Turn Undead is getting mileage, and the OTHER rogue is already a rog/cleric(life)/wiz right now, so I doubt he's gonna be all that much affected by this. Neither pure necromancer in the party will care, and I KNOW for a fact that neither will help the barb. One because he's a new player and all spells picked thus far are damaging (again, new), and the other because he NEVER helps ANYONE ( and I'm fairly sure is, again, wading deep in the alignment pool). He's considered just running something to give the barb and rogue a secret mission since all they really need is some relevant +1 or better weapon that fits what they like to do. I believe the only few magic weapons in the book that are obtainable in AL are all longswords. So I guess, trawling for +1 greataxe or rapier is what needs to be done.

Team work is fine, great even. In homebrew its expected. But this is AL. Since it started, from what we all seen, especially cause of the drop in and play style of modules; you don't pick your team mates. As such, you build your character in a way to not need team mates as heavily. Like a Fighter picking mobile feat over something that is flavorful, or picking your spells to benefit you first, and everyone else later. Stuff like that. With an entire table like that, team work is just not going to be as effective as it should. Now, after add in a character whose sole position in a group like that is to hit things, but they tell the group " well, I understand that we may not be a party tomorrow, cause reasons, but uh, mind learning Magic Weapon for me so I can do what I'm supposed to? Thanks" Its honestly one of the issues I have with AL (another being FR entirely but that's a different subject).

Townopolis
2017-09-19, 02:54 AM
For what little it's worth, sneak attack works with alchemist's fire and acid vials by RAW. In the case of alchemist's fire, the bonus damage is dealt only on the hit and not whenever the DoT ticks (in fact, hitting someone with alchemist's fire would ONLY deal sneak attack damage on the hit, since the bomb itself doesn't do damage on the hit).

Normally, I wouldn't suggest this. It's the sort of thing that's technically correct and not (AFAIK) overpowered in any way, but tends to feel wrong to DMs. But your friend IS the DM in this case. So he has the power to check the rules, see that the wording checks out, and allow it. Unless, that is, AL has some rule I don't know about that kiboshes this.

Of course, all that doesn't change the fact that it's expensive as heck to stock up on the potentially inane number of acid vials you'd need to take out an appreciable number of damage-resistant enemies.

And, of course, the barbarian is still screwed.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-19, 05:23 AM
For what little it's worth, sneak attack works with alchemist's fire and acid vials by RAW. In the case of alchemist's fire, the bonus damage is dealt only on the hit and not whenever the DoT ticks (in fact, hitting someone with alchemist's fire would ONLY deal sneak attack damage on the hit, since the bomb itself doesn't do damage on the hit).

Normally, I wouldn't suggest this. It's the sort of thing that's technically correct and not (AFAIK) overpowered in any way, but tends to feel wrong to DMs. But your friend IS the DM in this case. So he has the power to check the rules, see that the wording checks out, and allow it. Unless, that is, AL has some rule I don't know about that kiboshes this.

Of course, all that doesn't change the fact that it's expensive as heck to stock up on the potentially inane number of acid vials you'd need to take out an appreciable number of damage-resistant enemies.

And, of course, the barbarian is still screwed.

We was really starting to love this season too, with its call backs to previous editions (and realms?! Helloooooo Oerth!!) and having perma death in AL (for reals this time) is something that just FEELS like a DnD game. So imagine our surprise when we crack open the book and see literal chapters worth of mundane resist/immune enemies, with scarcely a magic weapon ( I see magic ARMOR and magic trinkets a plenty, but weapons is like...a drought... unless you are super evil of course) and... spoiler the final fight(s) to end the whole thing are mundane immune, and grappling, before someone suggests it, isn't possible either., so yeah... what to do about the barb..considering that one of the npcs carry a magic dagger maybe an accident can happen for the rogue... no that won't work. Its just easier to run her through a module and get her a weapon. The rogues too.... and the cleric, I guess... maybe..

EKruze
2017-09-19, 06:40 AM
For what little it's worth, sneak attack works with alchemist's fire and acid vials by RAW.

I don't believe this is correct. Sneak attack requires you use a finesse or a ranged weapon. It is true that you make a ranged attack when throwing these but neither of these are present on the weapons chart of pg. 149 where you determine if a weapon has the ranged or finesse properties. By RAW they are improvised weapons that you make ranged attacks with, but they are not ranged or finesse weapons. As such, sneak attack doesn't apply.

With that said, the DDAL Faction guide provides a mechanism to obtain a +1 Weapon of choice and I'm led to understand that there may be a particular NPC that will sell a limited selection of magic weapons or ammunition.

JAL_1138
2017-09-19, 02:26 PM
On laptop now so I can elaborate. He's trying to NOT go too wide in random modules, since they wanted to be done by roughly early dec or late nov, which is doable as of now. As is, the pure Barb is harshly affected, as is the pure Rogue, with the Cleric kinda affected but not really since Turn Undead is getting mileage, and the OTHER rogue is already a rog/cleric(life)/wiz right now, so I doubt he's gonna be all that much affected by this. Neither pure necromancer in the party will care, and I KNOW for a fact that neither will help the barb. One because he's a new player and all spells picked thus far are damaging (again, new), and the other because he NEVER helps ANYONE ( and I'm fairly sure is, again, wading deep in the alignment pool). He's considered just running something to give the barb and rogue a secret mission since all they really need is some relevant +1 or better weapon that fits what they like to do. I believe the only few magic weapons in the book that are obtainable in AL are all longswords. So I guess, trawling for +1 greataxe or rapier is what needs to be done.

Team work is fine, great even. In homebrew its expected. But this is AL. Since it started, from what we all seen, especially cause of the drop in and play style of modules; you don't pick your team mates. As such, you build your character in a way to not need team mates as heavily. Like a Fighter picking mobile feat over something that is flavorful, or picking your spells to benefit you first, and everyone else later. Stuff like that. With an entire table like that, team work is just not going to be as effective as it should. Now, after add in a character whose sole position in a group like that is to hit things, but they tell the group " well, I understand that we may not be a party tomorrow, cause reasons, but uh, mind learning Magic Weapon for me so I can do what I'm supposed to? Thanks" Its honestly one of the issues I have with AL (another being FR entirely but that's a different subject).

I've had a somewhat different experience in AL. Casters tend to be group-focused, taking spells that will benefit a party, and try to work with others (e.g., Clerics tend to prepare Bless and try to cast it on the heavy hitters; wizards are more likely to Haste a heavy hitter than themselves even if they're Bladesingers trying to melee; etc.). Teamwork hasn't really been a problem in most groups—players will go so far as to choose which character to play depending on what other classes are in the group and try to fill a niche. But we have a really good local community here and my experience may not be representative of the norm.

As the dearth of magic weapons in the module becomes known I expect several wizard players in the local community here will start picking MW to learn at level up. We've had multiple players pick up, say, Feather Fall specifically for parts of a certain season where falling from a significant height could be a major problem for a party (even though it ate into Spells Known for the bards, for example); I don't see why they wouldn't go in for Magic Weapon when a similar problem becomes known.

It's not a huge investment for a wizard to learn it, and a Paladin can just prepare it whenever, once they start learning 2nd-level spells, if you've got one of those at your table. I know I'll be doing so for my own pallys, both of whom already have magic weapons of their own from prior seasons.

Anyhow, the Facebook group Dalebert linked is likely the easiest solution. Once you snag some Uncommons or Rares (which are a dime a dozen in older season modules, dunno about the ToA hardcover though), just trade them for magic weapons other people no longer need, having acquired higher-tier weapons for themselves. Barring that, yeah, see about adventures with Secret Missions. I don't think there are any for Tier 1 characters, but hang on until then, pick up a Mission, buy an item off the Factions, and you'll be okay.

Dalebert
2017-09-19, 03:52 PM
EKruze is right. Those are special items; not weapons. They're not listed on the weapons charts. It's the "use an object" action and not the attack action to use them. That's why you can't make two attacks with them even if your normally get two attacks. WHen you use them, they then require (and grant) an attack roll. Since they aren't weapons in the first place, they aren't finesse or ranged weapons.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-19, 05:17 PM
I don't believe this is correct. Sneak attack requires you use a finesse or a ranged weapon. It is true that you make a ranged attack when throwing these but neither of these are present on the weapons chart of pg. 149 where you determine if a weapon has the ranged or finesse properties. By RAW they are improvised weapons that you make ranged attacks with, but they are not ranged or finesse weapons. As such, sneak attack doesn't apply.

With that said, the DDAL Faction guide provides a mechanism to obtain a +1 Weapon of choice and I'm led to understand that there may be a particular NPC that will sell a limited selection of magic weapons or ammunition.the rogues can pester the guy for daggers ( they ARE +1 and they CAN buy ammo so they aren't that bad off)
but that doesn't change the fact that a BARBARIAN, great axe wielding damage sponge, has the only "easily" obtainable options of a d4 weapon or a simple d8. Better than nothing though
However, the group is roughly 6 days outside the Port and pretty much have NO inclination of going back for those things so... eh..

I've had a somewhat different experience in AL. Casters tend to be group-focused, taking spells that will benefit a party, and try to work with others (e.g., Clerics tend to prepare Bless and try to cast it on the heavy hitters; wizards are more likely to Haste a heavy hitter than themselves even if they're Bladesingers trying to melee; etc.). Teamwork hasn't really been a problem in most groups—players will go so far as to choose which character to play depending on what other classes are in the group and try to fill a niche. But we have a really good local community here and my experience may not be representative of the norm.

As the dearth of magic weapons in the module becomes known I expect several wizard players in the local community here will start picking MW to learn at level up. We've had multiple players pick up, say, Feather Fall specifically for parts of a certain season where falling from a significant height could be a major problem for a party (even though it ate into Spells Known for the bards, for example); I don't see why they wouldn't go in for Magic Weapon when a similar problem becomes known.

It's not a huge investment for a wizard to learn it, and a Paladin can just prepare it whenever, once they start learning 2nd-level spells, if you've got one of those at your table. I know I'll be doing so for my own pallys, both of whom already have magic weapons of their own from prior seasons.

Anyhow, the Facebook group Dalebert linked is likely the easiest solution. Once you snag some Uncommons or Rares (which are a dime a dozen in older season modules, dunno about the ToA hardcover though), just trade them for magic weapons other people no longer need, having acquired higher-tier weapons for themselves. Barring that, yeah, see about adventures with Secret Missions. I don't think there are any for Tier 1 characters, but hang on until then, pick up a Mission, buy an item off the Factions, and you'll be okay.
if it was any other wizards I wouldn't be here. But these two players made it known that they will NEVER help others. Besides, holding down a group of monsters seem like a better use of a concentration then to give the barb a weapon that, honestly shouldn't even come up. Feels like a spell tax that shouldn't be there.

sithlordnergal
2017-09-19, 06:39 PM
Best option is to use some of the modules. Maybe play Forge of Fury, there should be a few magic items

darjr
2017-09-20, 12:06 AM
This season the mods also really tie into the book. And so far they are really good.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-20, 12:33 AM
This season the mods also really tie into the book. And so far they are really good.

This I'm going to blast cause I was led into thinking this before the season properly rolled out. No. No they do not. CP stated WAAAAAAAY back when they was finishing up on season 7 that very line you said. 7-1 and 7-2 came out before the book. Which is fine though right? I mean, if what CP said is correct then we should be able to play them then go straight into the book with no problems. HELLA WRONG. 7-1 sends you STRAIGHT to Chult. Chapter 1 of the book has the party in BALDUR'S GATE being TELEPORTED to Chult. Sure, you can change things to make some sense..... but then you're doing extra work to make things fit when you was told up front that you shouldn't need to because
This season the mods also really tie into the book. Let alone in a AL setting, most DMs CANT change things like that in fear of invalidating the entire season for their players. 7-2 being a Tier 2 adventure makes no sense either. Sorry if I came off as hostile. Its a sore subject and one I wish that someone on the design team came out and said for those in AL " yea, our bad, we missed that opportunity" or something like that. Kinda like how the tie in dice doesn't have a special emblem on the d20, yet I can go to the prerelease this week and get one for Magic.

darjr
2017-09-20, 01:05 AM
Um. If you run the Balder's Gate chapter first the 7-1 ties in rather well.

If you don't want to be hostile, don't.

Lolzyking
2017-09-20, 01:28 AM
party pooper here, but that cool magic dagger cant be obtained by PC's its specifically in season 7 dm guide that he's a special character and any character that kills him, or obtains his dagger somehow is removed from AL play. because hes speshul and the authort doesn't want people killing his super cool dmpc that has a side story that doesn't matter.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-20, 01:50 AM
Um. If you run the Balder's Gate chapter first the 7-1 ties in rather well.

If you don't want to be hostile, don't.If you run chapter 1 the players are in Baldur's Gate. If you run Module 7-1, they are in Chult. That isn't a tie in. That's literally two different places. One teleports you to Chult. As in, the super duper spoiler npc talks to you after you meet her there then teleports you to Chult. The other has you already ridden the boat there. As in, hello Zindar. The reason why it matters so much is cause AL can be stickler for changing up RAW material. So again, no. It does not tie in together well.
It boils down to this. If you go module then book, the players are already in Chult, need to go back to Baldur's Gate to find the npc, who then teleports them back to Chult. If you go book, then module, assuming you stop the book in chapter one, the players are in Baldur's Gate, then teleported to Chult, do some things, then leave to get on a boat to come back....? You see what I'm saying? Again, it wouldn't be an issue in a homebrew game. But its AL. And in AL, those kinds of things matter.

party pooper here, but that cool magic dagger cant be obtained by PC's its specifically in season 7 dm guide that he's a special character and any character that kills him, or obtains his dagger somehow is removed from AL play. because hes speshul and the authort doesn't want people killing his super cool dmpc that has a side story that doesn't matter.Merchant Prince. All I'm going to say to that.

Townopolis
2017-09-20, 03:14 AM
I stand corrected. That's disappointing; I thought there might actually be an extreme edge-case use for those things. Oh well. Secret missions sounds like your friend's best bet.

Azgeroth
2017-09-20, 06:28 AM
assuming you want magic weapons to overcome resistance to mundane weapons, heres an option.

silvered weapons.

should be easily available at any smithy, or at least the option to silver a weapon at a smithy..

JAL_1138
2017-09-20, 08:46 AM
Regarding 7-2 being Tier 2, AL modules are almost never intended to be run in numerical order (Season 4 was an exception), and it makes sense to have Tier 2 content available at season start so players who want to bring in an existing Tier 2 character (or who play 7-1 with a high-Tier-1 character who can level out quickly) but who don't want to jump straight into the hardcover aren't left twiddling their thumbs 'till the Tier 2 content releases.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-20, 12:58 PM
assuming you want magic weapons to overcome resistance to mundane weapons, heres an option.

silvered weapons.

should be easily available at any smithy, or at least the option to silver a weapon at a smithy..
.... I don't think that works in 5e.

Regarding 7-2 being Tier 2, AL modules are almost never intended to be run in numerical order (Season 4 was an exception), and it makes sense to have Tier 2 content available at season start so players who want to bring in an existing Tier 2 character (or who play 7-1 with a high-Tier-1 character who can level out quickly) but who don't want to jump straight into the hardcover aren't left twiddling their thumbs 'till the Tier 2 content releases.

Fair enough.

darjr
2017-09-21, 12:08 AM
Sorry dude, if you wan't to take it at an extreme you can. But 7-1 even talks about being on a ship entering the port. No teleport.

HolyDraconus
2017-09-21, 08:09 AM
Sorry dude, if you wan't to take it at an extreme you can. But 7-1 even talks about being on a ship entering the port. No teleport.
......huh?