PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monsters as PCs -Pathfinder

ngilop
2017-09-18, 05:40 PM
SO.. there is a serpent skull campaign starting in these forums.

the starting level is 4 and the DM is allowing monstrous PCs.

A player asked how I determined abiitiy scores, to which I replied the subtract 10 or 11, depending on if it is even or an odd number. as well as how Paizo has the CR=ECL rule

Player in question then asked for exact quotations of said rules... the issue I have is I have no idea where those are as I do not have my physical books . I'm pretty sure such is not duplicated on any of the reference documents, bu I could be wrong.

The Vagabond
2017-09-18, 06:42 PM
Technically speaking, there are no rules for ability scores. The rules you are using at the moment are from 3.5, detailing the method they used for ability scores.

Necroticplague
2017-09-18, 07:29 PM
Technically speaking, there are no rules for ability scores. The rules you are using at the moment are from 3.5, detailing the method they used for ability scores.
It's not an explicit rule, but it's a very easy extrapolation from a rule that does exist.

STATISTICS

Ability Scores The creature’s ability scores are listed here. Unless otherwise indicated, a creature’s ability scores represent the baseline of its racial modifiers applied to scores of 10 or 11.

So, since (unless otherwise said), a monster's stats are Racial mod+ 10 or 11, then, working backwards, it's Racial Mods must be Stats-10 or 11.

daryen
2017-09-18, 10:14 PM
To answer the original poster's last question, I believe the section is in the first Beastiary. Here is the Monsters as PCs (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/monstersAsPCs.html) page on the Paizo PRD site.