PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Time, maybe?

Narkis
2017-09-18, 05:42 PM
The first four episodes of the final season aired yesterday. Is anyone else still watching? The show used to be pretty big back in the day, but it's kinda fallen off the radar. What happened?

druid91
2017-09-18, 06:07 PM
The first four episodes of the final season aired yesterday. Is anyone else still watching? The show used to be pretty big back in the day, but it's kinda fallen off the radar. What happened?

Personally I stopped watching when it seemed like it became "Finn, the Dating Sim."

The thing with Bubblegum was cute and all, but excessive romance is weird.

Fri
2017-09-19, 01:12 AM
Pretty sure they stop shipping Finn with Bubblegum at all just around season 3 or so (and they started pairing her with Marcelline instead).

I stopped watching around season 5 or 6, not because I'm disliking it, I just petered out at watching it and lost my momentum. It's finally ending? It's kinda bittersweet.

I remember asking this forum for an episode recommendation waay back then. I should revisit this series.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441764-Episode-recommendation-for-my-quot-Best-of-Adventure-Time-quot-Collection

Bohandas
2017-09-19, 01:20 AM
It started taking itself too seriously, that's what happened

Bohandas
2017-09-19, 01:28 AM
I'm hoping that there'll be a spinoff after it ends. There's plenty of other characters that could stand as the protagonists of a show. Adventure Time With Fiona and Cake, Adventure Time With Simon and Marcy, [Adventure Time With Josh and Margaret[/i]...

kraftcheese
2017-09-19, 05:24 AM
I'm still watching; honestly I'm glad they're finishing up now instead of ploughing the show into the ground like The Simpsons or Spongebob.

Scowling Dragon
2017-09-19, 08:24 AM
It started taking itself too seriously, that's what happened

Right on the money. It's the same part of "Finn Dating Sim"

For some reason the writers that took over for Penn really wanted Finn to "Suffer" to "Learn" but the end result was that he just became this unpleasant wierdo.
That can summarize all the characters. In an attempt to "Develop/ Twist" them, they made them all unpleasant weirdos, and all the fun and levity of the show left.
The 10cent philosophy garbage the show tries to "Funnily" insert doesn't help at all.

For instance, Originally Finns dad was supposed to be some Legendary hero. But no he has to be a creepy deadbeat, and Finn has to be tormented and crap.

Bohandas
2017-09-19, 11:16 AM
Right on the money. It's the same part of "Finn Dating Sim"

For some reason the writers that took over for Penn really wanted Finn to "Suffer" to "Learn" but the end result was that he just became this unpleasant wierdo.
That can summarize all the characters. In an attempt to "Develop/ Twist" them, they made them all unpleasant weirdos, and all the fun and levity of the show left.

Except the ones who started as unpleasant weirdoes (The Ice King, Marceline, the Lich) who became the most sympathetic characters in the show

Bohandas
2017-09-19, 11:17 AM
For instance, Originally Finns dad was supposed to be some Legendary hero. But no he has to be a creepy deadbeat, and Finn has to be tormented and crap.

Plus, did the show ever explain how he came to be in a prison for supervillains?

JadedDM
2017-09-19, 12:56 PM
I still watch it regularly, although I haven't seen the new episodes just yet. I really enjoyed the Islands and Elements mini-series.

Scowling Dragon
2017-09-19, 01:08 PM
Plus, did the show ever explain how he came to be in a prison for supervillains?

No. They did explain everything else about him, and really it ends up being kinda bland and not that well done.

Except the ones who started as unpleasant weirdoes (The Ice King, Marceline, the Lich) who became the most sympathetic characters in the show

And bland in the process. I watch older Marceline episodes and she was much more an interesting character.
The Lich didn't need to become a Baby he needed to be defeated in a satisfactory way and stay that way.

And with time I began to HATE "Simon". Because in hindsight its a very cheap emotional tactic very easy to replicate.

Bohandas
2017-09-19, 07:56 PM
And with time I began to HATE "Simon". Because in hindsight its a very cheap emotional tactic very easy to replicate.

To be fair the Ice King was clearly insane from the very beginning

Bohandas
2017-09-19, 07:59 PM
Also the season schedule seems to have become more irregular, that's unhelpful

Scowling Dragon
2017-09-19, 08:49 PM
To be fair the Ice King was clearly insane from the very beginning

Oh he was, it's just the "Emotional Moment". These sorts of cheap, manipulative emotional tricks would proceed to be utilized to a mediocre extent in Steven Universe when it can be bothered.

Tvtyrant
2017-09-20, 02:48 AM

IDK, there were some really good episodes but starting with the fire princess breakup the show just fell apart. I stopped when they killed rootbeer guy off after introducing him in one of the best episodes then taking him out for a cheap feel.

JadedDM
2017-09-20, 02:16 PM
They brought Root Beer Guy back to life, when lightning struck his grave. He's Dirt Beer Guy now.

The Fury
2017-09-20, 06:29 PM
Adventure Time occupies a similar headspace that The Venture Brothers does for me. When I watch it, I like it, but if there's nothing calling it to mind I usually won't think about it. I had no idea that the final episodes were airing, probably because Cartoon Network doesn't have much interest in promoting shows that aren't Teen Titans Go. I did manage to catch the "Islands" episodes, I thought they were good.

Bohandas
2017-09-20, 07:56 PM
Adventure Time occupies a similar headspace that The Venture Brothers does for me. When I watch it, I like it, but if there's nothing calling it to mind I usually won't think about it. I had no idea that the final episodes were airing, probably because Cartoon Network doesn't have much interest in promoting shows that aren't Teen Titans Go.

Yeah, that's the other reason it petered out, nobody can tell when the hell it's on.

Merellis
2017-09-20, 08:23 PM
Always enjoyed Adventure Time, Stakes, Islands, and Elements were a lot of fun. Always some episodes that don't quite reach me, but generally they're a lot of fun.

Honestly my favorite one is the one where Finn is stuck in a dungeon and can only move past a door when his eyes are closed.

Powered through the last four episodes, they were pretty fun.