PDA

View Full Version : Many Strong Animal Companions

Novir Vetru
2017-09-18, 07:45 PM
I want to make a character for a level 60 campaign my friend is running. The character is definitely going to have 10 levels of beastmaster, 10 levels of Vadalis Beastkeeper, and 10 levels of Beast Heart Adept. The main problem I have with the character is making my companions powerful enough to survive. Any suggestions?

Bronk
2017-09-19, 07:45 AM
I want to make a character for a level 60 campaign my friend is running. The character is definitely going to have 10 levels of beastmaster, 10 levels of Vadalis Beastkeeper, and 10 levels of Beast Heart Adept. The main problem I have with the character is making my companions powerful enough to survive. Any suggestions?

Well, for one thing, Beastmaster and Vadalis Beastkeeper both stack with Druid for animal companions, so you're good there.

Unfortunately, you're out of luck when it comes to Beast Heart Adept. Not only does it not stack with anything else, there's only 5 levels of the class, so it's ineligible for an epic progression.

So, you could make this character as a Druid 35, Beastmaster 10, Vadalis Beastkeeper 10, Beast Heart Adept 5. You'd have a bunch of high level animal companions, plus two low level monstrous companions. Maybe use them as flying or burrowing mounts?

You can also add in the 'Wild Cohort' feat for another scaling animal companion type thing, although it doesn't share spells.

Edit: Otherwise, train the animals to be 'warbeasts' for an extra HD, more stat boosts, and armor proficiency, then load them up with magic items, armor, claw covers, etc.

Or you could save money by taking the exalted animal companion feat, have them all take vow of poverty, take the stat boosts, and load them up with feats like 'touch of golden ice' and so on.

Novir Vetru
2017-09-19, 10:43 AM
That sounds good, do you have any suggestions as to what animals I should choose? Would ironclad mailer be a possibility with that feat for a magical beast animal companion? Or does that feat not exist?

Also, there are 10 levels of beast heart adept that are detailed in the dungeonscape book.

Bronk
2017-09-19, 12:11 PM
That sounds good, do you have any suggestions as to what animals I should choose? Would ironclad mailer be a possibility with that feat for a magical beast animal companion? Or does that feat not exist?

Also, there are 10 levels of beast heart adept that are detailed in the dungeonscape book.

I see what you mean about there being ten levels now, I misread that. It's still a bummer that it doesn't stack with anything though. At least the Vadalis Beastkeeper could stack with Beastmaster, which in turn stacks with Druid.

I don't think Ironclad Mauler appears on any of the monstrous companion lists though, although with the right epic feat you could wild shape into one. There's a lot of good companions listed in this handbook though:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook

TotallyNotEvil
2017-09-19, 03:28 PM
Now I'm curious... What does a level sixty campaign look like?

Novir Vetru
2017-09-19, 04:06 PM
Now I'm curious... What does a level sixty campaign look like?

A lot of hit points and "eldritch deities"