PDA

View Full Version : Is my character screwed?

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 08:07 PM
https://www.dndbeyond.com/fetch/pdf/KrisseyCakes_476316

Hopefully everyone can see that link.

If not, the main things are

Name: Emily the Fearless
Race: Stout Halfling
Class: Barbarian
Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Perceptions, Survival
Background: Outlander

Now for the...bad part

Stats:
AC: 14
Strength: 16
Dexterity: 13 (with +2 racial)
Constitution: 16 (with +1 racial)
Intelligence: 6
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 6

Weapons: Shortsword, Handaxe, Javelins x4
Armor: Unarmored Defense

I was planning on Dual-Wielding. Thinking of dipping Ranger for Fighting Style and maybe an Animal Companion. The crux of the issue is how much barbarian levels, and how many revised ranger beast conclave levels to keep the Wolf companion relevant.

Otherwise, is this concept impossible? Is my character screwed by double 6's and not great rolls? I rolled for stats, hence my weird and ugly stats. DM WOULD NOT LET ME REROLL, says I get what I get. No point buy alternative, no nothing.

I was thinking of playing up the "Raised by Wolves" feature, having a wolf totem and wolf animal companion at ranger level 3 (whenever I should pick those up...before 5 it delays extra attack, after it feels like I'm commited forever to Ranger or something. Playing off raised by wolves she would be very feral and know next to nothing of civilization so it's less she's not pretty or anything, but more just doesn't know how to be around normal folk and doesn't know anything about civilization. Can't read, doesn't care about money, etc... to explain the lack of intelligence and idk like she's just strange and animal-like thus the low charisma?

imanidiot
2017-09-18, 08:11 PM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

I was planning on Dual-Wielding. Thinking of dipping Ranger for Fighting Style and maybe an Animal Companion. The crux of the issue is how much barbarian levels, and how many revised ranger beast conclave levels to keep the Wolf companion relevant.

Otherwise, is this concept impossible? Is my character screwed by double 6's and not great rolls? I rolled for stats, hence my weird and ugly stats. DM WOULD NOT LET ME REROLL, says I get what I get. No point buy alternative, no nothing.

Get yourself killed so you can reroll. Rolling stats is leftover from a slightly different style of play that lasted up until about 2nd edition. Then you would expect characters to die often and they only took 5 or 10 minutes to make a new one. If your group wants to play that way, then play that way. If you roll bad stats just get killed so you can reroll.

Safety Sword
2017-09-18, 08:11 PM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

I was thinking of playing up the "Raised by Wolves" feature, having a wolf totem and wolf animal companion at ranger level 3 (whenever I should pick those up...before 5 it delays extra attack, after it feels like I'm commited forever to Ranger or something. Playing off raised by wolves she would be very feral and know next to nothing of civilization so it's less she's not pretty or anything, but more just doesn't know how to be around normal folk and doesn't know anything about civilization. Can't read, doesn't care about money, etc... to explain the lack of intelligence and idk like she's just strange and animal-like thus the low charisma?

You'll be fine. Just don't be the face of the party and hit things.

ZorroGames
2017-09-18, 08:15 PM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

Go crazy and attack, attack, attack. Roll up a new character when you sacrifice yourself to protect the squishies. And if you survive keep pushing the javelin/thrown Hand Axe while closing to hand axe/short sword. Sooner or later you will find a sweet RP and mechanics mix that you can use.

Remember what you wolf mother taught you, "Civilization is over-rated by humans!"

smcmike
2017-09-18, 08:17 PM
Doesn't seem so bad. Your stats are good where they matter.

Did you choose race and class before rolling?

ZorroGames
2017-09-18, 08:19 PM

Correct, you should not even worry about the 6's IC. If your party wants your fighting spirit they will mentor you.

Edit: Camping outside town is probably better in your character's opinion then sleeping in a wood or stone cage.

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 08:32 PM

Yes I did. I wanted to be a female Halfling Barbarian because I wanted her to be a mini Sonya from Diablo 3/Heroes of the Storm. Except then my stat happened...

bid
2017-09-18, 08:36 PM
Thinking of dipping Ranger for Fighting Style and maybe an Animal Companion.
Nope, Wis13.

smcmike
2017-09-18, 08:37 PM
Yes I did. I wanted to be a female Halfling Barbarian because I wanted her to be a mini Sonya from Diablo 3/Heroes of the Storm. Except then my stat happened...

Preselecting race and class before rolling is a recipe for disappointment. If you roll stats, you really can't start with an idea until you have the numbers. These numbers really are fine, though.

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 08:38 PM
Nope, Wis13.

Oh dang, you're right :/ Even if I went Ghostwise Halfling instead I still couldn't do it even if I swapped my Dex and Wis stats. Oh well.

Kane0
2017-09-18, 08:42 PM
You don't have enough wisdom to MC into ranger.

That said, doesn't look too bad. You have 16s in your two major stats, that's more than enough to be useful. Just get into your character and have some fun, if they die you get to reroll if you don't you get a good story to share!

bid
2017-09-18, 08:43 PM
Oh dang, you're right :/ Even if I went Ghostwise Halfling instead I still couldn't do it even if I swapped my Dex and Wis stats. Oh well.
At least with AC14, you have a good chance of heroic death.:smallwink:

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 08:52 PM
At least with AC14, you have a good chance of heroic death.:smallwink:

How could I pump it up any? The problem is I really like this character, I just don't like her stats. But wouldn't it be cheap to die then reroll the same archetype/kind of character? :(

Kane0
2017-09-18, 08:54 PM
Wear some medium armor, you still get your Dex bonus wearing that. Shield is good too since as a small creature you can't use a couple of the nicer two handed weapons. If need be drop your shield and two hand a versatile weapon.

Otherwise grab some +con or +dex using your ASIs.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-18, 08:56 PM
Let the folks who can't play or "need to win" have the optimized characters. Yours will be fun and memorable. I bet pretty decent in combat also.

Your build would be welcome in our party.

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 09:07 PM
Let the folks who can't play or "need to win" have the optimized characters. Yours will be fun and memorable. I bet pretty decent in combat also.

Your build would be welcome in our party.

So I don't really NEED int or charisma to do ok? I'm worried about things like those brain suckers that make you die of you got to 0 int, and aren't there a lot charisma and int saves that can like charm or beguile or mind control your character and stuff? I'm worried I'll just get shut down if we ever fight something like a Mindflayer or something.

Kane0
2017-09-18, 09:08 PM
Go into Frenzy barbarian, they get some bonuses against mental stuff.

Or take Resilient (Wisdom) as an ASI to become proficient in wisdom saves, which are the most common. Int and Cha saves don't come up except for those niche cases like Mind Flayers.

bid
2017-09-18, 09:10 PM
How could I pump it up any? The problem is I really like this character, I just don't like her stats. But wouldn't it be cheap to die then reroll the same archetype/kind of character? :(
Dex12 + half-plate = AC16 (AC18 with shield)

DW feat has +1AC, but so can fighter 1 defense style.
I'd rather rogue 1 for SA than fighter 1 for dw style.

Squat nimbleness would be good for a wrestler, and even your Dex.

guachi
2017-09-18, 09:11 PM
In the game I run, the party has a war dog. I allowed the PCs to give it any class they wanted and it would start at level 3 and receive 1/2 XP. Obviously, the only decent choices were fighter or barbarian and it was initially chosen to be a Battlemaster Fighter. This was ineffective as its stats were:

STR 13
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 4
WIS 12
CHA 8

These stats aren't too far off from yours. The dog couldn't hit anything
and its damage was low with a bite of 1d6. The dog was converted to a Wolf Totem Barbarian, because of course it would be a wolf totem. The ability to grant advantage to your melee allies while raging is huge.

Offensively, the dog is in even worse shape than you as he can't dual wield or use a shield. But when he rages, it just doesn't matter as his allies do so much better. If you had a party member with GWM he could use that when you raged and do amazing damage.

tl;dr: If you have melee characters that can take advantage of your rages, you'll be fine.

imanidiot
2017-09-18, 09:12 PM
So I don't really NEED int or charisma to do ok? I'm worried about things like those brain suckers that make you die of you got to 0 int, and aren't there a lot charisma and int saves that can like charm or beguile or mind control your character and stuff? I'm worried I'll just get shut down if we ever fight something like a Mindflayer or something.

Honestly, you wouldn't be able to reliably make a save vs Feeblemind or an Intellect Devourer with a 10 or 12 Int anyway.

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 09:16 PM
Honestly, you wouldn't be able to reliably make a save vs Feeblemind or an Intellect Devourer with a 10 or 12 Int anyway.

Fingers crossed I never fight any. At least I know I'm not totally ruined. This character is playable. I'll do the Half-Plate thing. I guess I'll just pump STR/CON and do normal barbarian stuff. I can't do PAM or anything like that because I'm small, so GWM/PAM cheese is out anyway.

Malifice
2017-09-18, 09:18 PM
Get yourself killed so you can reroll.

I'd make you keep the same Stats, and reset your XP to 0.

Or just boot you from the table.

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 09:22 PM

Well I really like Emily and I don't want her to die. So killing her is not my plan.

Sigreid
2017-09-18, 09:24 PM
Looks ok to me for a barbarian. You should be tough where it counts. leave the mental and personality stuff to someone else. I would, based on your story, be a wolf totem barbarian. I think you'll have fun.

imanidiot
2017-09-18, 09:24 PM

I'd gladly leave. Different people play different ways. I knew before this post that I likely wouldn't enjoy playing with Malifice. They probably wouldn't like playing with me either.

bid
2017-09-18, 09:27 PM

See the drama rolling stats bring to the table?

Remember kids, use point buy.:smallbiggrin:

rbstr
2017-09-18, 09:33 PM
You'll be fine. Could be a fun character to role play if you can get into it.
I'd take Barb to 5, then maybe 2/3 levels of fighter for a style, action surge and superiority die. Or just straight barb. Medium armor and a shield probably.
You could also be an of the three Fighters. Strength-based Battle Master or Champion are clear choices. You could even be an EK. There are plenty of spells to use w/o using intelligence.

ZorroGames
2017-09-18, 09:37 PM

No, the drama is from maliface, as not unexpected.

Edit: Freudian typo.

ZorroGames
2017-09-18, 09:40 PM
Well I really like Emily and I don't want her to die. So killing her is not my plan.

See, you are getting into your character already. Go short but deadly!

First you cut them off at the knees. Then you cut them off above the shoulders. Two step plan of Halfling Barbarian victory!

RazDelacroix
2017-09-18, 09:44 PM
This is not a tribulation, it is a trial to overcome in game and in character! When a chance comes to improve your intellect or charisma, do not be afraid to improve those stats in lieu of strength or constitution. Put in the in game effort, have your lil dynamo of doom struggle and strive to improve her mental faculties! There are a multitude of ways beyond the standard level-up-ASI to get smarter, stronger, and more shapely!

Perhaps you come across a deck of many hassles!

Quest for equal opportunity learning and basic education!

Read a magical book!

Do not be afraid to work with 'subpar stats'!

Malifice
2017-09-18, 09:49 PM
I'd gladly leave.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Players that ask to roll stats (as the OP did), and then sook when they get bad rolls, and then intentionally kill of their character off, have no place at my table.

Luckily the OP is a good sport and embraces a challenge rather than taking his bat and ball and going home.

IMG at present we are using straight 3d6 in order (replace a stat lower than 6, with a 6; swap any one ability score of your choice with a score of 13 if desired). Its old school and quite lethal.

Its also more challenging, and we're having a blast!

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 09:56 PM
This is not a tribulation, it is a trial to overcome in game and in character! When a chance comes to improve your intellect or charisma, do not be afraid to improve those stats in lieu of strength or constitution. Put in the in game effort, have your lil dynamo of doom struggle and strive to improve her mental faculties! There are a multitude of ways beyond the standard level-up-ASI to get smarter, stronger, and more shapely!

Perhaps you come across a deck of many hassles!

Quest for equal opportunity learning and basic education!

Read a magical book!

Do not be afraid to work with 'subpar stats'!

Well I thought it would be a fun opportunity to try something new. I've never played a Halfling before, I've never played a female before, so that's why I wanted to be a female Halfling, and I love the Barbarian class. Also I have never played a character with 2 6's before. Or anything that bad really. I usually roll and do ok. I just wanted something that could dual-wield and was forest-like. A melee forest protect of sorts, really. Raised by wolves and has become the guardian of a large natural territory, protecting it with a magical sense to the land when it is disturbed. An undead plague begins to spread and monstrosities begin to corrupt the forest, and her family (the wolf pack that raised her) is in danger.

She goes off to find a cure, or help, or answers and finally goes to civilization. She can't read, or write naturally, and she's more animal than person in many ways. She puts the good of the pack before the individual though, so if she trusts her adventuring buddies she can be fiercely loyal to them. I figure Barbarian or Ranger or Oath of Nature Paladin would be good, maybe some magical fey creature bestowed her with power and a divine charge after fighting off an invasion of goblins single handedly or something, but I don't know how good these stats would have been for anything aside from Barbarian. I was thinking possibly Dex barb but decided on Strength Barb to get the most out of the class features.

I had the background and character concept before I rolled stats or class tbh. So I like Emily, I was just worried having such low stats could, mechanically, really mess up my character against certain traps, diseases, monsters, or other obstacles to the point of being unplayable.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/diablo/images/4/4a/Sonya.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140502114158

Like that, but...tiny.

imanidiot
2017-09-18, 10:20 PM

Players that ask to roll stats (as the OP did), and then sook when they get bad rolls, and then intentionally kill of their character off, have no place at my table.

Luckily the OP is a good sport and embraces a challenge rather than taking his bat and ball and going home.

IMG at present we are using straight 3d6 in order (replace a stat lower than 6, with a 6; swap any one ability score of your choice with a score of 13 if desired). Its old school and quite lethal.

I've already got a group you see. It's the same group I've been playing with for 22 years. OD&D is fun, just don't expect me to get invested in a character. And don't be a **** about it when I don't care when my gimp character dies.

imanidiot
2017-09-18, 10:28 PM

I rolled 9, 5, 5, 14, 12, 7. I'm playing a 99-year old human wizard. Combat is entirely out of the question, that's the young folks job. I'm here to handle knowledge skills and magic.

Kane0
2017-09-18, 10:40 PM
Lets see... I got 10, 12, 9, 12, 13, 10.

I'll be an old dwarven smith that's been an ollam for a long while now. Had to lead his pupils away from the den for their own safety but his old bones can't really take the weight of heavy armor anymore. At least he can still shoot his crossbow.

Malifice
2017-09-18, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=imanidiot;22398487]I rolled 9, 5, 5, 14, 12, 7.

I forgot to mention that we all get a feat at 1st level. So:

Boris Grogbeard:

Str: 9
Dex: 5 (6)
Con: 6 (13)
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha: 7

Race: Mountain Dwarf (+2 Str, +2 Con). Feat: Heavily armored (+1 Strength, Heavy armor).

Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 6 (-2)
Con: 15 (+2)
Int: 14 (+2)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 7 (-1)

Class/ Level: Wizard 1. Skills (Arcana, Investigation) AC 18 (chainmail + shield). HP 8. Sage background (History, Perception)

'Boris Grogbeard was a lowly member of his clans militia. He didnt have many friends (Cha 7) and was a total clutz even by Dwarf standards (Dex 6) he was nontheless very bright (Int 14, Wis 12)... perhaps even too smart for his own good. Fighting bored him - he was much more intrested in reading about tales of adventure and history in the libraries of his clan.

Bored with his lot in life, he often dreamed of adventure and heroics, as he flicked through the tales in the ancient dusty books, but the mocking words of those who had told him his whole life that he didnt have the right aptitude for adventuring fang i his ears. 'Ill show them he used to mumble to himself' as he pored through old tomes and tales of adventure.

It was during one of his lonely nights in the Clans library on his days off, he stumbled apon an unusual tome (his spell book). The runes on the pages were in a languange he had never seen before... but yet somehow could read. Magic it appears, came easy to Boris.

Stealing the tome, and sneaking off into the night, Boris left his old mundane life behind and departed for a new life of adventure.

What is wrong with this character?

Boris takes resilient (Con) at 4th level (bring his Con to 16, and gaining proficiency in Con saves). At 8th, 12th and 16th level he maxes his Int to 16, 18 and then 20 respectively.

From bad stats, intresting choices and unique and flavorful PCs get made. A good player embraces the challenge and creates a memorable PC. 5E is very forgiving.

Run with your bad stats, and have fun.

denthor
2017-09-18, 10:52 PM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

Congratulations you have roll the Belkar build.

your even a halfling.

Malifice
2017-09-18, 11:00 PM
Lets see... I got 10, 12, 9, 12, 13, 10.

You get a feat at 1st level. Useful for a half feat. All races get them (Vuman isnt used, but those +1 to every stat for Human is very tempting so you see a lot of them!)

I'll be an old dwarven smith that's been an ollam for a long while now. Had to lead his pupils away from the den for their own safety but his old bones can't really take the weight of heavy armor anymore. At least he can still shoot his crossbow.

Hill Dwarf (Artisan background; Smith) War Cleric 1. Feat Perceptive (+1 Wis, expertise in Perception)

S 10
D 12 (+1)
C 9 (15) (+2)
I 12 (+1)
W 12 (14) (+2)
Ch 10

Chainmail (AC 16), Crossbow, Warhammer, Shield. HP 11. Perception (+6), Religion (+3), History (+3), Smiths tools (+3), Medicine (+4), Insight (+4)

Ravinsild
2017-09-18, 11:05 PM
If I rearranged my stats (they are what they are, but they are not in any particular order) would a Ranger or Nature Paladin work? What all classes can TWF? I know TWF is strictly inferior and not optimized, however, it is what I wanted from the character. Nature protector and TWF basically. I feel this could be built possibly many different ways even given the bad stats, but the build I have now is the best I could come up with.

Edit: I know most guides rate the Dual-Wielder feat is RED but for my character the +1 AC and upsized weapons for Strength Rage damage might be a good choice for once maybe?

I fixed my AC I think: https://www.dndbeyond.com/fetch/pdf/KrisseyCakes_476316

imanidiot
2017-09-18, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE]

What is wrong with this character?

It's boring, it's indistinguishable from any random dwarf npc. I want to be Han Solo, not Porkins. He's even bored with himself.

Malifice
2017-09-18, 11:34 PM
If I rearranged my stats (they are what they are, but they are not in any particular order) would a Ranger or Nature Paladin work? What all classes can TWF? I know TWF is strictly inferior and not optimized, however, it is what I wanted from the character. Nature protector and TWF basically. I feel this could be built possibly many different ways even given the bad stats, but the build I have now is the best I could come up with.

Edit: I know most guides rate the Dual-Wielder feat is RED but for my character the +1 AC and upsized weapons for Strength Rage damage might be a good choice for once maybe?

I fixed my AC I think: https://www.dndbeyond.com/fetch/pdf/KrisseyCakes_476316

If allowed to rearrange stats, anything works.

A Fighter can safely dump Dex (heavy armor), Int (does nothing), Cha (ditto).

A decent Str, Con and Wisdom (in that order) and you're set.

90sMusic
2017-09-19, 12:33 AM

Malifice is just a jerk :P

But yeah, rolling for stats is not really fantastic. You can either get super lucky and outclass everyone in the party or be really unlucky and be terrible. Both situations dampens the fun for folks.

People have to remember D&D is a game and it is meant to be played for fun. If you end up with a character that will be terrible to play, you aren't going to have fun playing it. If your DM forces you to roll and you get terrible stats with no way to use pointbuy, standard array, or reroll, I wouldn't even bother playing with the jerkoff honestly. I've seen bad DMs literally get their jollies off when a player has bad rolls for character generation.

In those situations, the player should be ditching the crap DM, not the DM kicking the frustrated player. Very few people actually want to play a very hindered and weak character, especially for months or longer. Maybe a one shot, but not a campaign.

Unfortunately, power corrupts. Even tiny bits of minuscule power or authority people get from being in positions like dungeon master or forum moderator or any number of other largely unimportant roles in life, they just go nuts with what little power they're allowed to have by others. It's a shame really, but that is human nature.

Safety Sword
2017-09-19, 12:44 AM
People have to remember D&D is a game and it is meant to be played for fun.

This is the last thing people want to hear here.

And the first thing we should remember as a game playing community.

Citan
2017-09-19, 07:49 AM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

I think there are two questions in one here. ;)

"Is my character screwed?"
If you talk about having a good, functional Barbarian, then the answer is no. Quite on the contrary, those stats are pretty good as far as attack and AC go.

If you talk about your particular character concept, well, yes, pretty much. Dual-wielding is not a problem (you could do without or dip into Fighter), but as for a true companion beast... Ritual Caster feat for Find Familiar won't cut it if you want something usable in a fight (I mean, more than 1 turn), and your mediocre WIS forbids you to multiclass into Ranger, Druid or Cleric.

If your DM waives the multiclass requirement, then honestly you can go for it with your current stats. Just don't pick any spell relying on WIS, focus on non-concentration ones (especially Longstrider and Goodberry), and bump DEX and WIS to respectively 14 (AC bump) and 11 with first ASI before grabbing Resilient:Wisdom later.

If your DM sticks with RAW... Then go all suicidal mode to create another character, and use point-buy. :)

Wow. I usually tend to agree with you, but this? It's in the top 3 most stupidest things I ever read here.

Game didn't even start, and someone wants to play a particular character concept. People are here to have fun, plus everyone has a different vision of game and prealable experience.

If a very experienced player came to me (= I KNOW that he is an experienced player) and did what OP did, sure, I'd have the same reaction as you. Because this one knew everything about the risks.

In any other case? I'd first ask the player about his concept, his experience, and warn him beforehand of how unwise it may be to roll at the end and not the beginning of the creation. And depending on his current knowledge and mindset, I'd probably give him a way out, by point-buy or standard array (wouldn't allow him to reroll though).

Embracing the rolls is a very interesting exercice, but not everyone is able to handle it, or just interested in it. Forcing someone to do it is usually not gonna do him any good, unless you really know the person enough to guess he/she will come to like it in the long run.

And it's part of the DM's job to lead newcomers and ensures everyone has fun around the table. IMO at least. ^^

Sigreid
2017-09-19, 08:08 AM
Malifice is just a jerk :P

But yeah, rolling for stats is not really fantastic. You can either get super lucky and outclass everyone in the party or be really unlucky and be terrible. Both situations dampens the fun for folks.

People have to remember D&D is a game and it is meant to be played for fun. If you end up with a character that will be terrible to play, you aren't going to have fun playing it. If your DM forces you to roll and you get terrible stats with no way to use pointbuy, standard array, or reroll, I wouldn't even bother playing with the jerkoff honestly. I've seen bad DMs literally get their jollies off when a player has bad rolls for character generation.

In those situations, the player should be ditching the crap DM, not the DM kicking the frustrated player. Very few people actually want to play a very hindered and weak character, especially for months or longer. Maybe a one shot, but not a campaign.

Unfortunately, power corrupts. Even tiny bits of minuscule power or authority people get from being in positions like dungeon master or forum moderator or any number of other largely unimportant roles in life, they just go nuts with what little power they're allowed to have by others. It's a shame really, but that is human nature.

Really depends on the person. While as a DM I would never make someone keep a character they hate (And while my group rolls I would let anyone point buy or array if they wanted to), some of my most enjoyable times as a player were trying to make a low stat character work.

Ravinsild
2017-09-19, 09:03 AM
Part of this is that my DM is a first time DM, ever. We only have 3 party members total. A Dwarf Light Cleric, my character, and one other who we don't know. We have many more people interested in playing, but he doesn't want more than 3 people right now to see how he handles it.

His first character, his first time playing as a player, actually died in 5e. He volunteered to DM as discussion on our group was forming. I have no idea what to expect but my choices for games are pretty much just this so I'm stuck with the DM.

Sigreid
2017-09-19, 09:09 AM
Part of this is that my DM is a first time DM, ever. We only have 3 party members total. A Dwarf Light Cleric, my character, and one other who we don't know. We have many more people interested in playing, but he doesn't want more than 3 people right now to see how he handles it.

His first character, his first time playing as a player, actually died in 5e. He volunteered to DM as discussion on our group was forming. I have no idea what to expect but my choices for games are pretty much just this so I'm stuck with the DM.

Two things. First, him limiting the group size for a while is smart. It's a lot to juggle and starting small is best. Second, it will almost certainly be a train wreck. Hopefully it won't discourage any of you. I think every first time DM sucks at it, but sucking at something is the first step to being good at it. 😁

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-19, 11:11 AM
See the drama rolling stats bring to the table? Remember kids, use point buy.:smallbiggrin: All of our 5e groups, except 1 that is now defunct, rolled. It's the default character generation method in the PHB. (But I also like point buy, it's not a bad way to begin). My AL warlock that never happened (wifely veto on a weekly game at FLGS) was also point buy.

But yeah, rolling for stats is not really fantastic. Been using it since I rolled my first Magic User in OD&D back in (was it really 1975?) Still works.

To assess this character:
Stats: AC: 14

Doable. Someone else is your spell caster, someone else is your party face, I'd suggest using armor unless/until you can boost the dex a lot. Use a one handed weapon, and a shield. (I'd suggest Warhammer, or battle axe, YMMV). The reason I suggest that is that now and again you may want to drop the shield and wield the weapon two handed. Situation dependent.
Use javelins for throwing weapons, or use hand axes. I'd go Bear but as I'm not sure how your party may grow, other choices might be fine too.

Have fun!

Ravinsild
2017-09-19, 11:18 AM
All of our 5e groups, except 1 that is now defunct, rolled. It's the default character generation method in the PHB. (But I also like point buy, it's not a bad way to begin). My AL warlock that never happened (wifely veto on a weekly game at FLGS) was also point buy.
Been using it since I rolled my first Magic User in OD&D back in (was it really 1975?) Still works.

To assess this character:
Stats: AC: 14

Doable. Someone else is your spell caster, someone else is your party face, I'd suggest using armor unless/until you can boost the dex a lot. Use a one handed weapon, and a shield. (I'd suggest Warhammer, or battle axe, YMMV). The reason I suggest that is that now and again you may want to drop the shield and wield the weapon two handed. Situation dependent.
Use javelins for throwing weapons, or use hand axes. I'd go Bear but as I'm not sure how your party may grow, other choices might be fine too.

Have fun!

Something about a Barbarian with a one-handed weapon and shield seems so foreign to me I cannot possibly ever play it. I opted for Half-Plate Armor for an AC of 16 and was thinking of grabbing Dual-Wielder at 4 for +1 AC and upgrading to Longsword and..whatever the 1 handed Axe is called. BattleAxe I think.

rbstr
2017-09-19, 11:35 AM
For your character concept it makes a lot of sense.
I'd suggest one level of fighter for the dual wielding style since that'd be a big improvement in damage.

grumbaki
2017-09-19, 11:44 AM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

Looks pretty decent to me. AC unarmored = 14. That's...not great. Throw on a shield for AC16. Pretty good at lvl1. You have resistance if they hit you, so you're still pretty tanky. And your attack isn't bad. +5 to hit with 1d8+5 damage when raging.

Now at lvl4, grab a feat that gives +1 Dex. You can make it one of your prof saves. Now AC17.

Lvl 8 get +2 Con (18), so you're at AC18.

Lvl 12 get +2 Con (20) so you're at AC19.

Lvl 16 get +2 Str (18) and at Lvl 19 get +2 Str (20).

Lvl 20 Have Str (24) Dex (14) Con (24). That's pretty darn good with the stats that matter, especially as you'll have good saves in all of those. This also means that with a shield you have AC21.

Even though you won't have great weapon master, you'll still have 1d8+9 damage when racing, with advantage to hit. That's pretty decent. Especially as you re-roll any roll of a 1 for your damage die, given that you are a halfling.

I'd also say, for the fun of it, go path of the path of the berserker. You have nothing to do with your bonus action. So grab another attack with it from path of the berserker. Also you're halfling is known as 'the fearless' so earn that moniker by being immune to fear.

Finally, give your halfling a manly beard. So manly, that people keep mistaking him for a dwarf.

Seems like a pretty good halfling berserker to me. :)

KnotaGuru
2017-09-19, 11:52 AM
Those are great stats for a halforc barbarian or fighter. It would be fun with those stats and fulfill your face-smashing desires :)

Stats would be:
STR 18 (after +2 racial, he's a brute)
DEX 10 (average)
CON 16 (after +1 racial, tough as a bear)
INT 6 (Hulk smash!)
WIS 11 (average)
CHA 6 (uncivilized or just plain rude)

Would start with 15 hp (13 as a fighter), 14 AC with scale mail (or 16 with chain mail). With the average DEX score, fighter would give you a better AC in heavy armor, but barbarian has a ton of hit points and resistance. Swing a greatsword for +6 to hit 2d6+4 damage. Use ASIs to pump STR to 20, grab resilient (WIS), and great weapon master. feat Your job is to deal damage and you do your job well :)

GlenSmash!
2017-09-19, 05:19 PM

Now for the...bad part

Stats:

These are pretty good stats for a Barbarian. Being a halfling will make it more difficult to use the GWM/PM combo that is so good for barbarians, but fear not! there are other options. If you want to go TWF a couple of levels in fighter will do you good. Level 1for the fighting style, level 2 for action surge. You could go 5 levels in Barb to get extra attack then 1 level of fighter for the fighting style will feel like a good boost. You could grab the Dual Wield feat at 4 but I would honestly just stick 2 handaxes. I would look at getting that dex to 14 for Max AC in Medium Armor.

Alternative. One-hander and Shield is a fine option for Barbarians. Rage will give you advantage on Bonus action shoves from the Shieldmaster feat, the only drawback is you can't rage and bonus action shove on the same turn. Danger Sense also combines well with Shieldmaster to help you on Dex saves. This actually one of my favorite Barb builds.

Any way you go picking up Resilient Wisdom or Lucky to help with Wisdom saves is a good idea for any Barbarian.

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 12:30 AM
These are pretty good stats for a Barbarian. Being a halfling will make it more difficult to use the GWM/PM combo that is so good for barbarians, but fear not! there are other options. If you want to go TWF a couple of levels in fighter will do you good. Level 1for the fighting style, level 2 for action surge. You could go 5 levels in Barb to get extra attack then 1 level of fighter for the fighting style will feel like a good boost. You could grab the Dual Wield feat at 4 but I would honestly just stick 2 handaxes. I would look at getting that dex to 14 for Max AC in Medium Armor.

Alternative. One-hander and Shield is a fine option for Barbarians. Rage will give you advantage on Bonus action shoves from the Shieldmaster feat, the only drawback is you can't rage and bonus action shove on the same turn. Danger Sense also combines well with Shieldmaster to help you on Dex saves. This actually one of my favorite Barb builds.

Any way you go picking up Resilient Wisdom or Lucky to help with Wisdom saves is a good idea for any Barbarian.

Dex as my first ASI at 4, then get 1 level of fighter at character level 6, then the rest barbarian? Or maybe 3 for Champion to "crit fish" ? Rest of my ASI in STR/CON? IDK if we are playing with feats, if not, anything of note? I'm for sure going dual-wielding. I'm also a small race. I don't think we can hold "Great" weapons.

rbstr
2017-09-20, 10:23 AM
Yeah go Barbarian up to level 5 then take your fighter levels. Taking fighter 1 before 5th level is also possible but don't delay extra attack more than that.
Crit-fishing with Champion could be fun with reckless attack. Battlemaster offers several good options as well. I'd probably go ahead and take fighter to level 4 for the ASI at that time..

It'd be good to take a feat at level 4 that gives +1 dex so you can even out your score. Taking +2 dex would be wasting a point.

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 10:35 AM
Yeah go Barbarian up to level 5 then take your fighter levels. Taking fighter 1 before 5th level is also possible but don't delay extra attack more than that.
Crit-fishing with Champion could be fun with reckless attack. Battlemaster offers several good options as well. I'd probably go ahead and take fighter to level 4 for the ASI at that time..

It'd be good to take a feat at level 4 that gives +1 dex so you can even out your score. Taking +2 dex would be wasting a point.

I looked at all the feats and the only ones that give +1 are "Athlete", "Lightly Armored", "Medium Armored" and "Weapon Master". Out of those choices I feel like Athlete is best? I already have all the armor proficiencies except Heavy and I don't want that anyway. I also have all simple and martial weapon proficiencies.

Well if I do 17/3 I get Brutal Critical 3 and +6 Rage.

Doing that would look like idk

Level 1-5 Barbarian, at level 4 pick up Athletic I suppose.
6-8 Fighter for Champion
9-20 Barbarian and at 12th grab +2 STR, 16th +2 STR, 19th +2 CON ?

Otherwise
1-5 Barbarian, at 4 pick up Atheltic still
6-9 Fighter and at 9 pick up maybe +STR
10-20 Barbarian at 12th get Dual-Wielder, 16th +2 STR, 19th +2 CON?

Contrast
2017-09-20, 10:49 AM
Its old school and quite lethal for those poor saps who roll poorly.

Its also more challenging for those poor saps who roll poorly, and we're having a blast!

Fixed that for you :smalltongue:

I'm generally only slightly opposed to rolling (I don't mind bad stats but the problem with rolling is that at some point you will end up with one person with bad stats and one person with incredible stats and that's not a recipe for a fun and fair game play experience) but making people use stats in order rolled just completely stops them getting any real say in the sort of the character they want to play.

'Ah you wanted to play a wizard? I hope you're looking forward to playing a really terrible one who goes to the gym a lot!'

That said I feel OP is in a much different situation.

So I like Emily, I was just worried having such low stats could, mechanically, really mess up my character against certain traps, diseases, monsters, or other obstacles to the point of being unplayable.

Your characters primary and secondary stats are good to ok. You've tanked what are mechanically the two least useful stats to your character. Will you be more vulnerable to some stuff? Sure. But its a -2 when compared to a 10 and you're rolling a d20. You're worse at things you would have been bad at anyway. The difference is significant statistically but I'm willing to bet you won't notice that much when you're actually sitting at the table given you're good at the stuff barbarians should be good at.

Brother carc
2017-09-20, 12:22 PM
How about you switch stats to

AC: 19 (assuming shield)
Strength: 6
Dex: 18 (with +2 racial)
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 11

And play a Dex-based barbarian? I think there's a guide for such on these forums

You'll start with an amazing AC, take it as far as level 3 and you'll get bear totem then you could put an ASI into wisdom and get that ranger multiclass you wanted.

If you don't want to dump strength quite so hard you could swap your intelligence and strength scores

Edit: you need strength 13 for a multiclass out of barbarian so you'd have to put that 11 and an ASI on strength if you want to multiclass

GlenSmash!
2017-09-20, 12:25 PM
Dex as my first ASI at 4, then get 1 level of fighter at character level 6, then the rest barbarian? Or maybe 3 for Champion to "crit fish" ? Rest of my ASI in STR/CON? IDK if we are playing with feats, if not, anything of note? I'm for sure going dual-wielding. I'm also a small race. I don't think we can hold "Great" weapons.

You can hold them, you just have disadvantage when attacking with them, so it's a really bad idea.

I looked at all the feats and the only ones that give +1 are "Athlete", "Lightly Armored", "Medium Armored" and "Weapon Master". Out of those choices I feel like Athlete is best? I already have all the armor proficiencies except Heavy and I don't want that anyway. I also have all simple and martial weapon proficiencies.

I would go +1 Dex and +1 Wis and then grab Resilient Wis later to bump it to 12 and have proficiency. But I may be paranoid about failing Wis saves. i wouldn't put ASIs into Con unless you plan on going unarmored. Maxing Strength is always solid on a Barb.

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 12:27 PM
You can hold them, you just have disadvantage when attacking with them, so it's a really bad idea.

I would go +1 Dex and +1 Wis and then grab Resilient Wis later to bump it to 12 and have proficiency. But I may be paranoid about failing Wis saves. i wouldn't put ASIs into Con unless you plan on going unarmored. Maxing Strength is always solid on a Barb.

That's a good point, too. What's wrong with Con though? More HP right?

My biggest regret is that Path of the Berserker and Dual-Wielding do not mix at all.

How is anyone supposed to be able to pull these concepts off? :(

http://ddragon.leagueoflegends.com/cdn/img/champion/splash/Olaf_0.jpg I mean he hits so hard it strikes with lightning...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEvSrK0UIAAUIlY.jpg This chick can leap really far and so hard it creates Craters and Whirlwind everything to death in droves :o

Malifice
2017-09-20, 12:44 PM
Fixed that for you :smalltongue:

I'm generally only slightly opposed to rolling (I don't mind bad stats but the problem with rolling is that at some point you will end up with one person with bad stats and one person with incredible stats and that's not a recipe for a fun and fair game play experience) but making people use stats in order rolled just completely stops them getting any real say in the sort of the character they want to play.

'Ah you wanted to play a wizard? I hope you're looking forward to playing a really terrible one who goes to the gym a lot!'

I generally use point buy. It keeps the arguements down. But I play in a mature group who dont mind rolling bad stats (we have lives and dont need our PCs tobe our own 'bi colored eyes katana weilding sock puppets with stats of 20'). We get just as much enjoyment out of playing weaklings as we do playing uber stats.

In the OP's example, he player came to the DM and asked to roll stats. If you ask (and the DM says yes) and you roll ****, you need to man up and keep the stats you rolled, or find a different table as far as Im concerned.

The OP has manned up. He's rolling with the PC he rolled. I applaud him for that. The dice fell where they may, and he's gonna do his darndest to make a memorable PC.

Whiny ****s that ask for something, only to not like the result and want a re-roll arent welcome in my games.

Re getting stuck with something cruddy IM OSR game where we roll stats, you cant have a stat of less than 6, and get to swap one stat with a 13 (making everything other than Monks and Paladins playable off the bat). Thars before racials and ability score bumps from half feats (we get one at 1st level as another rule)

Want a Wizard? Youre gonna get at least a 15 in Intellignce as a human with an Int based half feat. Your other stats could be 7 (rolled 6 or less, plus humans +1) but guess who else did that? Raistlin Majeres player (who famously rolled a con of 4 or 5 from memory (in days when wizards got 1d4 HP/ lvl), and a rubbish Str and Charisma as well). He played a wheezy raspy voiced sickly golden skinned, hourglass eyed, cursed wizard, sarcastic and with a bitter and twisrted attitude... that went on to become a legendary figure of the Hobby.

5E is incredibly forgiving. Random stats create opportunities for unique class, race and feat combos that you wouldnt see otherwise, and can create some truly memorable (and non cookie cutter) PCs.

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 12:51 PM
I generally use point buy. It keeps the arguements down. But I play in a mature group who dont mind rolling bad stats (we have lives and dont need our PCs tobe our own 'bi colored eyes katana weilding sock puppets with stats of 20'). We get just as much enjoyment out of playing weaklings as we do playing uber stats.

In the OP's example, he player came to the DM and asked to roll stats. If you ask (and the DM says yes) and you roll ****, you need to man up and keep the stats you rolled, or find a different table as far as Im concerned.

The OP has manned up. He's rolling with the PC he rolled. I applaud him for that. The dice fell where they may, and he's gonna do his darndest to make a memorable PC.

Whiny ****s that ask for something, only to not like the result and want a re-roll arent welcome in my games.

Re getting stuck with something cruddy IM OSR game where we roll stats, you cant have a stat of less than 6, and get to swap one stat with a 13 (making everything other than Monks and Paladins playable off the bat). Thars before racials and ability score bumps from half feats (we get one at 1st level as another rule)

Want a Wizard? Youre gonna get at least a 15 in Intellignce as a human with an Int based half feat. Your other stats could be 7 (rolled 6 or less, plus humans +1) but guess who else did that? Raistlin Majeres player (who famously rolled a con of 4 or 5 from memory (in days when wizards got 1d4 HP/ lvl), and a rubbish Str and Charisma as well). He played a wheezy raspy voiced sickly golden skinned, hourglass eyed, cursed wizard, sarcastic and with a bitter and twisrted attitude... that went on to become a legendary figure of the Hobby.

5E is incredibly forgiving. Random stats create opportunities for unique class, race and feat combos that you wouldnt see otherwise, and can create some truly memorable (and non cookie cutter) PCs.

I didn't ask to roll it was the decided method by the DM because that's what it says to do in the PHB. Everyone in the group is new and has never played before for the most part. The DM played a few session as a player awhile ago and is first time DM, and I've only played a handful of 5e sessions, less than I have AD&D. We are doing everything by the book.

N810
2017-09-20, 01:04 PM
BARBARIAN STATS: :thog:

Weak magic use stats: :vaarsuvius:

Seems fine to me.
(probably illiterate with no social skill, but at least you have average wisdom)

Just add some of the barbarian like feats...
Athlete
Durable
Tough
Resilient
Lucky
Sentinel

Easy_Lee
2017-09-20, 01:07 PM
You can actually make this work as a pure Beast Conclave Ranger, which I'd recommend to keep your beast strong. See the guide in my signature. Take Mounted Combatant and ride a wolf. You'll get up to four attacks per turn, up to five per round, by level 5. Two of those are from your wolf and, have guaranteed advantage, and trigger a saving throw.

Malifice
2017-09-20, 01:18 PM
I didn't ask to roll it was the decided method by the DM because that's what it says to do in the PHB. Everyone in the group is new and has never played before for the most part. The DM played a few session as a player awhile ago and is first time DM, and I've only played a handful of 5e sessions, less than I have AD&D. We are doing everything by the book.

I see.

Dude, as a 35 year veteran of DnD, I can assure you point buy of Stats is a phenomenon that only really kicked in during 3rd edition onwards, and plenty of games use (or used) roll stats. Warhammer FRP has you roll your 'class' and race as well!

The long and short of it is, he's totally entitled to rule that way, and if you choose to play in that game, you take your dice where they fall. Embrace your PCs weaknesses and make a memorable PC.

The saddest I've ever been was when a long time PC of mine bit the dust after advancing to mid levels with only one stat above 10 (and 2 5's). He fought the good fight, and was memorable to the end. One of my most memorable PCs. His low Wisdom was his smoking, gambling, womanising and drinking (I used to spend all my GP on hedonism in town and never on magic items). He was a sucker for a pretty face and a sob story (and a con man). Never went to school either (his old man was a dung collector). Strong as an Ox though, but the Pox got him when he was young (probably the dung his dad brought home... which killed his dad as well mind you).

Check out OSR DnD (BECMI). That was 3d6 in order, and from memory under those rules you could only discard the scores you rolled if two or more ability scores were less than 6, or if your highest ability score was a 9... and even the DM could require an experienced player to keep the ability scores rolled (as my DM did).

robbie374
2017-09-20, 01:20 PM

I didn't see anyone respond to this, so I thought I should point out that there are very, very few Int and Cha saves. From monsters, there are only 6. From spells, there are 17. 5 total for Int, 18 total for Cha. They are very, very uncommon saves, and having poor stats will not be a problem for most of an average campaign.

Your actual rolled stats, 16-11-15-6-10-6, are not far off from PHB point buy. You can't buy 6 or 16, but if 16 cost 12 and 6 cost -2, you would have: 12+3+9-2+2-2=22. If you ignore tha 6s as mostly irrelevant dump stats anyway, that bumps you up to 12+3+9+0+2+0=26, one less than the 27 points allotted by the PHB. Yes, your stats don't really jive with your race and class goals (lacking that 13 Wisdom), but overall you aren't too bad off.

On multiclassing, you said your DM is new. Remind him that according to the rules, the DM is allowed to change the rules however he wants. It is important to stay true to RAW almost always, but modifying things slightly to improve fun is a great way to go. In your case, letting you multiclass into Ranger with low Wisdom doesn't break the game at all; it merely makes you less effective with magic as a Ranger. If you are ok with being less powerful, that should be ok.

Multiclassing requirements exist to prevent players from dipping into extra classes just to gain lots of cool new powers. If you were just trying ot get all the first level Ranger stuff and run, then you would need the required Wisdom. But in your case, you want to stay Ranger for a bunch of levels: you are not gaming the system.

Malifice
2017-09-20, 01:23 PM
On point, have you considered a Moon Druid?

You spend most of your time in the form of critters with much better stats.

'A sickly child (low Str, Dex and Con), left to the wilderness to die by his parents, he shouldnt have lasted a night. Instead he was taken in by a Druid and his animal companion, a Bear named Shaggy, and raised as one of them. He never got much of an education from the old Hermit (low Int) and prefered the silence of the wilderness and sleeping in mud and dirt to the comforts of civilisation and the company of people (low Cha, outlander background).'

Sigreid
2017-09-20, 01:41 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen the obvious "not with that charisma" yet. 😁

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 01:41 PM
On point, have you considered a Moon Druid?

You spend most of your time in the form of critters with much better stats.

'A sickly child (low Str, Dex and Con), left to the wilderness to die by his parents, he shouldnt have lasted a night. Instead he was taken in by a Druid and his animal companion, a Bear named Shaggy, and raised as one of them. He never got much of an education from the old Hermit (low Int) and prefered the silence of the wilderness and sleeping in mud and dirt to the comforts of civilisation and the company of people (low Cha, outlander background).'

That was basically my character except I like the trait "literally raised by Wolves" and had sort of a jungle book style story. Eventually she meets a half-elven man and they are together for awhile and she "rejoins" civilization but realizes he's kind of a terrible person who just thought she was naive and easy and so they split up, which leaves her heartbroken and wounded and resenting civilization. She returns to the forest and her "wolf pack family" (who are literally wolves) and goes wandering deep into the forest some time later.

She finds an ancient shrine with a suite of armor (half-plate) and some weapons (Shortsword and a Handaxe) under a giant wooden carving of a ferocious bear. The spirit of the bear approaches her and it is a GIANT bear spirit, a demi-god named Ursoc who asks if she is willing to become the guardian of the forest. He would gift her these armaments as the vestiges of the forest champion and she agrees.

I was then going to pick 3rd level first totem as Bear totem channeling the spirit of Ursoc as a guardian and protector, then have the Wolf spirits as the 2nd two as ties to her family. I love Barbarians, however Easy-Lee makes a good point, I could go pure Ranger. I wanted her to have a wolf animal companion because Lone Wolves always die, so she needs a "battle buddy" who is her "brother" wolf that joins her at Ranger level 3 and they ride or die ever since as a fighting team.

Unfortunately I'd have to put some investment into Wis to multiclass Ranger, however the Fighter/Barbarian route seemed pretty good too. An angry, powerful, guardian forest halfling left to die in the forest after an Orcish raid and raised by wolves was my idea. Of course I wanted her to have a reason to know how to talk so I made up the ex-boyfriend backstory and to give her some scars, and a reason to want to stay isolated.

I was thinking about having her not quite be an infant when she is found by the Wolves, maybe as old as 5 so she'd know the Halfling language and at least have some prior hazy memories of civilization. I figure her name comes from either trying to fight during her initial homes razing whatever did it (goblins, orcs, gnolls, or something else), or later on after she becomes guardian of the forest single handedly taking down a band of invaders.

She leaves the forest because of an undead plague which is slowly corrupting and killing the forest. She goes to civilization, desperate enough to try, to get help from a Druid, or someone who might know something.

I was thinking maybe of having an old veteran grizzled trainer teach her how to "Fight Properly" for the Fighter levels. I figured the Ranger might just be innate from living naturally if I went that route. She just knows the forest well (favored Terrain) etc..

Strength Barbarian with rage and Strength melee Ranger seem good, as well as Fighter, Dual-Wielding because I just don't like shields. I like "High Fantasy" even though dual-wielding wasn't done in real life (everyone had a shield or 2hander).

Dr.Samurai
2017-09-20, 02:11 PM
Can you get by wit these stats? Sure. Your strength, constitution, and dexterity are fine.

But I'd never play a character like this because I hate dumping any stat, let alone having two that are 6s.

I feel like being stupid and uncharismatic severely limits me in conversations and problem solving, two things that I like to be a part of during the game.

I don't have to be the best, or even really good. But I've got to be a team least average so I don't feel like I can't suggest this or say that.

So if that matters to you, you're screwed. If not, I wouldn't sweat it.

Jophiel
2017-09-20, 02:23 PM
I want to be Han Solo, not Porkins.
The OP's case feels more like "I want to be Bugs Bunny, not Taz" which is cool, but a lot of people could still have a lot of fun tearing stuff up as the Tasmanian Devil -- or as a feral halfling barbarian.

Ravinsild
2017-09-20, 02:32 PM
The OP's case feels more like "I want to be Bugs Bunny, not Taz" which is cool, but a lot of people could still have a lot of fun tearing stuff up as the Tasmanian Devil -- or as a feral halfling barbarian.

What about my character seems Bug Bunny over Taz?

Knaight
2017-09-20, 02:42 PM
Dude, as a 35 year veteran of DnD, I can assure you point buy of Stats is a phenomenon that only really kicked in during 3rd edition onwards, and plenty of games use (or used) roll stats. Warhammer FRP has you roll your 'class' and race as well!

Yeah, because GURPS is such a new game. 3e picked up the idea of point buy the same way D&D gets most new mechanics - by finding out where the rest of the industry was at 15 years ago.

Jophiel
2017-09-20, 02:59 PM
What about my character seems Bug Bunny over Taz?
Eh? Nothing. I was saying that a lot of people could find your character a lot of fun to play despite its less than stellar mental and social stats.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-21, 01:17 PM
Eh? Nothing. I was saying that a lot of people could find your character a lot of fun to play despite its less than stellar mental and social stats.

Indeed. I played a barb with 8 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha. It worked just fine. I can't see this character being that different.

I would roleplay it as impatience with social situations and planning/tactics.

Ravinsild
2017-09-21, 01:38 PM
Indeed. I played a barb with 8 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha. It worked just fine. I can't see this character being that different.

I would roleplay it as impatience with social situations and planning/tactics.

I might do things like she walks out of the building she's in, but pees like right outside the front door, in plain public view, because she's used to nobody looking and outside (anywhere) is where you pee. Stuff like that. "What are bathrooms? Just pee anywhere it doesn't matter", but with enough sense to not just poop in the floor or something.

It's going to be hard to straddle the line between oblivious/ignorant of normal social machinations within civilization and not coming across as annoying or just plain stupid. I don't want her to be mentally, actually, low IQ dumb. Just Unlearned and unaware of what is considered "normal" because her normal is just pure wilderness. A wolf den is her home, etc.

Ravinsild
2017-09-22, 10:35 AM
Okay how BAD is this feat exactly? I just have a super soft spot for charging because my WoW main has been a Warrior since BC. At one point we had 3 different ways to charge (Charge x2 and Intercept)! Gap closing monsters ftw! Also Heroic Leap, which I don't think can really be replicated in D&D. Would it fit into my build anywhere?

More and more my dual-wielding angry little hobbit girl is turning into a WoW Fury Warrior haha, if it's possible with enough room from the ASI's etc.

Charger
When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature.

- If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack's damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

N810
2017-09-22, 10:40 AM
It's not a bad feat,
but it does use the same bonus action that your offhand attack would use.

Ps. 10 Wis is perfectly average.

Ravinsild
2017-09-22, 10:45 AM
It's not a bad feat,
but it does use the same bonus action that your offhand attack would use.

Ps. 10 Wis is perfectly average.

Yeah I was thinking of using it more for a gap closer/chaser/combat initiator and then following up with a Fighter's Action Surge or some such else.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-22, 11:34 AM
I am hoping that you play this halfling barbarian for a while, and maybe in a couple of months let us know how the adventures are going. Seems like you've got a neat character concept. I hope it works out in play.

Ravinsild
2017-09-22, 11:36 AM
I am hoping that you play this halfling barbarian for a while, and maybe in a couple of months let us know how the adventures are going. Seems like you've got a neat character concept. I hope it works out in play.

I think the DM said he only plans on running 6 or 7 sessions. :/

Pex
2017-09-22, 12:04 PM
Min/Maxing here.

I'd forgo the stereotype of Great Weapon Fighting feat. You need to get stats up. Go sword and shield. That puts your AC at 16 which is not terrible at low level. Your damage is in raging. Take bear totem at level 3. You need to effectively double your hit points, and that will protect you from most magic damage. Level 4 increase CON to 18. That gives you more hit points and AC to 17. Level 8 ST to 18. The +1 to hit and damage matters a bit.

Level 12 is a choice. If your resistance to all but psychic damage has helped a lot more than AC, then it's time to consider dropping the shield and go hog wild on Great Weapon Fighting feat. CON to 20 instead is good for the hit points and AC. You'll eventually want 20 ST and 20 CO by level 20.

If multiclassing for extra damage is your thing go Battle Master Fighter. Do it at level 6 because you want Extra Attack at level 5. Take Dueling as your fighting style for another +2 damage. Level 8 is when you'll get your maneuvers. Goading is a good choice. Even if the opponent makes the saving throw you still have that guaranteed +1d8 damage because to use the maneuver you had already hit. Two others for your taste, but not Riposte since you won't have the AC to use it often nor Parry since you need to take damage as one means to keep raging. Level 9 CO to 20.

Another multiclassing option is Rogue for the sneak attack. Thief or Assassin, your pick. Also get Expertise on some skills you favor. Rogue is a good option at level 10 if you went Barbarian 5/Fighter 4 above. You take a hit on the hit points, though, either way.

Ravinsild
2017-09-22, 12:08 PM
Min/Maxing here.

I'd forgo the stereotype of Great Weapon Fighting feat. You need to get stats up. Go sword and shield. That puts your AC at 16 which is not terrible at low level. Your damage is in raging. Take bear totem at level 3. You need to effectively double your hit points, and that will protect you from most magic damage. Level 4 increase CON to 18. That gives you more hit points and AC to 17. Level 8 ST to 18. The +1 to hit and damage matters a bit.

Level 12 is a choice. If your resistance to all but psychic damage has helped a lot more than AC, then it's time to consider dropping the shield and go hog wild on Great Weapon Fighting feat. CON to 20 instead is good for the hit points and AC. You'll eventually want 20 ST and 20 CO by level 20.

If multiclassing for extra damage is your thing go Battle Master Fighter. Do it at level 6 because you want Extra Attack at level 5. Take Dueling as your fighting style for another +2 damage. Level 8 is when you'll get your maneuvers. Goading is a good choice. Even if the opponent makes the saving throw you still have that guaranteed +1d8 damage because to use the maneuver you had already hit. Two others for your taste, but not Riposte since you won't have the AC to use it often nor Parry since you need to take damage as one means to keep raging. Level 9 CO to 20.

Another multiclassing option is Rogue for the sneak attack. Thief or Assassin, your pick. Also get Expertise on some skills you favor. Rogue is a good option at level 10 if you went Barbarian 5/Fighter 4 above. You take a hit on the hit points, though, either way.

You realize my character is a halfling right? Why would I go Great Weapon anything?

furby076
2017-09-22, 03:01 PM
Your halfling is a raging ball of fury and madness. Anyone who calls her a tiny little girl instantly feels her wrath. She will be awesome. The only problem you will experience with those two low stats are in the saves, but eventually feats and items can help take care of that. No need to player her as completely stupid. She is hot headed, and sticks her foot in her mouth fairly often. Anyone who knows her also knows to take two steps back and to get out of her way

furby076
2017-09-22, 03:07 PM

I agree with your second paragraph - if you ask to roll for stats, and get bad rolls then it sucks but play it. Personally, if it was terrible rolls I'd allow a re-roll or just up one stat a bit. My paladin got a 5 in INT and my DM couldn't let that slide, so he upped it to 8.

Where I don't agree is the sentiment that having low stats means fun and hardcore and having high stats means not as much fun and a bunch of panzies. I've been in a 10 year game (level 1 to 20) where we would be considered broken and ridiculously epic (even for pathfinder). We were allowed to use any official material (though couldn't do things like Pun Pun, etc). DM would give us super items that would be considered epic level...He used straight PHB, DMG, MM - and would mop the floor with us using lower CR encounters.

I'm of the mentality, we are adventurers - heroes/villains - world savers/destroyers. As such, we jump into exceptional danger every darn day, and we should be exceptional. If all the stats on a players sheet at 14+ and that makes the player happy, great...from a DM perspective, add an extra couple critters, or make the DC 1 or 2 points higher and you are good to go. Simple solutions.

Back to OP - i think he/she will have a blast playing a little ball of furious anger.

Sorlock Master
2017-09-22, 03:36 PM
Shoot this idea to your DM

Change race to Ghostwise Halfling: pick Ape as your totem. (Reskined totem that you want)

First ASI take 2 in wisdom.

You now have 13 wisdom and can dip into ranger. Take 8 levels in ranger putting both Pet ASIs into Int. Your Ape is now INT 10. You ask for his advice all the time since hes smarter then you.

Dual wielding is good as long as you stick to STR. Your modifier is +3 to hit and +5 to damage with the fighting style. Once you get the feat with half plate your looking at 18 AC before magical bonuses.

Edit: If you start Ranger then you can multi into Barbarian without changing your race at all.

Nifft
2017-09-22, 05:57 PM
Something about a Barbarian with a one-handed weapon and shield seems so foreign to me I cannot possibly ever play it. I opted for Half-Plate Armor for an AC of 16 and was thinking of grabbing Dual-Wielder at 4 for +1 AC and upgrading to Longsword and..whatever the 1 handed Axe is called. BattleAxe I think.

I'll second the suggestion of using a shield. Before the fight, bang your axe against your shield rhythmically, and chant, to intimidate your foes.

Vikings had those boats with round shields mounted all along the edge, so the raiders could pull their shields off easily when they disembarked. Shields are great on a Barbarian.

Skip the Charger feat. If you're desperate for mobility, take some Rouge levels. They'll give you something to do with your Bonus actions, and that thing will be exceptional mobility. Plus, you'll get a bit more skilled.

(Conan was basically a Barbarian / Rogue. It's an excellent combo.)

In fact, don't take any Feats. Pour your ASIs into stats (Str and Con, or perhaps Con and Str). Feats are for fancy-pants Fighters who use words like "strategy" and "tactics". You don't use words like those. They're too big! Who has time for such big words! Also, "smash" and "crush" are more effective words.

Honestly the most fun thing might be to put every stat boost into Strength, get it to 20, and then worry about Con. Hitting things more often & harder than average is a really good feeling. Between the shield & the Bear totem, you should able to survive long enough to break a lot of enemies over the cold steel of your untamed fury.

== == ==

To answer your initial question: your stats are fine. If I rolled them, I would play them.

Here's what I'd do for concept:

- Halfling raised by wolves. Okay. Let's make them Winter Wolves. They're smart, they talk, and they might have a good reason to keep slaves. This PC is dumb as rocks, so maybe didn't notice the whole "slave" thing. Maybe this halfling was unaware of the brutal and unkind treatment.

- Halfling lives with a large pack of Winter Wolves. They keep ~10 humanoid slaves for grooming, tool use, and eventually for use as food. Most slaves didn't last that long -- caught trying to escape, for example -- so the PC quickly became the senior slave, in charge of new humanoid induction & training.

- PC thinks of the Winter Wolves as family. ("Good dogs.") There were Worgs and Death Dogs in the warmth of the lower valley, who didn't get along with the Winter Wolves ("bad dogs"). There was another competing pack of Winter Wolves a bit to the north ("more bad dogs").

- The PC was out scouting / gathering medicinal plants / etc. when the pack of Winter Wolves got exterminated by adventurers. PC comes back, sees the whole "family" dead, and starts crying. Due to being dumb as rocks, his tears are misunderstood -- he tries to ask, "Did the bad dogs do this?" but it comes out like "Bad dogs kill? Kill bad dogs?" -- and the adventurers of course claim credit: "Yes, kill bad dogs."

- Now the PC walks around wearing Winter Wolf fur boots, a Winter Wolf skull helm, and Winter Wolf trim on his greatcoat -- because it smells like home -- but everyone thinks it's because he hates Winter Wolves. He doesn't. He seeks them out, looking for more Good Dogs. But for some reason, they always attack him, just because he's wearing their pelts and asking them if they're bad dogs or good dogs.

- He's sad after defending himself from yet another pack of Winter Wolves. ("Looking for good dogs, only find bad dogs.")

Pex
2017-09-22, 05:59 PM
You realize my character is a halfling right? Why would I go Great Weapon anything?

Then you're good to go.

Citan
2017-09-22, 06:42 PM
Because having such a small creature trying to hammer such big weapons in the face of his enemies is one of the coolest things anyone could witness.

Seriously, one of my player is a Halfling Monk. Because of a miss on my part on a token -using a sci-fi-one with a rocket-propelled heavy hammer XD-, he decided to loot it and make it his main weapon (so I had to refluff the blue flame obviously ^^).
In spite of not having proficiency.
And believe it or not, he succeeded more attacks with this "+0 to hit weapon" than with his "+5 to hit" quarterstaff.

Well, the fact that I did not usually apply the disadvantage certainly helped though.
But that's only because I'm a nice DM, certainly not because I realize just now while typing I totally forgot about that limitation of small creatures *ahem* *ahem*.:smalltongue::smallredface:

Ravinsild
2017-09-23, 01:21 PM
Because having such a small creature trying to hammer such big weapons in the face of his enemies is one of the coolest things anyone could witness.

Seriously, one of my player is a Halfling Monk. Because of a miss on my part on a token -using a sci-fi-one with a rocket-propelled heavy hammer XD-, he decided to loot it and make it his main weapon (so I had to refluff the blue flame obviously ^^).
In spite of not having proficiency.
And believe it or not, he succeeded more attacks with this "+0 to hit weapon" than with his "+5 to hit" quarterstaff.

Well, the fact that I did not usually apply the disadvantage certainly helped though.
But that's only because I'm a nice DM, certainly not because I realize just now while typing I totally forgot about that limitation of small creatures *ahem* *ahem*.:smalltongue::smallredface:

Could I do this per the rules? Once I get the Dual-Wielder feat and Charger feat I can dual-wield one handed weapons without the "light" property. Can I then have my longsword stowed on my hip for ready access, but use my Battleaxe in TWO hands via the Versatile property, charge (action: dash) and make a bonus attack with it as a two-handed (versatile) weapon for the 1d10 damage attack roll, then grab my longsword to immediately begin dual-wielding?

It says I can stow or draw 2 weapons instead of one at once, but I'm not sure if it's a free action or what. Also I'm already wielding one with two hands, but then I just swap to using it one handed (per the dual-wielder feat) and grab the other weapon in my off-hand (longsword) for the +1 AC bonus and ready to dish out the big time damage.

Citan
2017-09-23, 07:55 PM
Could I do this per the rules? Once I get the Dual-Wielder feat and Charger feat I can dual-wield one handed weapons without the "light" property. Can I then have my longsword stowed on my hip for ready access, but use my Battleaxe in TWO hands via the Versatile property, charge (action: dash) and make a bonus attack with it as a two-handed (versatile) weapon for the 1d10 damage attack roll, then grab my longsword to immediately begin dual-wielding?

It says I can stow or draw 2 weapons instead of one at once, but I'm not sure if it's a free action or what. Also I'm already wielding one with two hands, but then I just swap to using it one handed (per the dual-wielder feat) and grab the other weapon in my off-hand (longsword) for the +1 AC bonus and ready to dish out the big time damage.
There has been an endless (and probably pointless ^^) debate on how to interpret the "can interact with 2 weapons at once" line of the feat.
Honestly, I'd say any DM that requires to "stow both weapons at once" or "draw both weapons at once" but not "stow one, draw one" is behaving like a big ***. Because the point of the feat is basically you have good enough speed and coordination to handle different things with each hand.

However, it has been clarified by a tweet that just dropping one hand from a two-handed weapon is not requiring any interaction.

So in fact nobody cares about how your DM interprets the "blurry" line of Dual Wielder, because it just works by RAW: as soon as you have one hand free (supposing, obviously, you start the fight with the Battleaxe already drawn) it's back to the "drawing one weapon as free interaction" thing.

However, if you were wondering how that would work in a single turn that you start without any weapon in hand...
Then not only would Dual Wielder bit about stow/retrieve be needed, but since you are here talking about drawing > attacking > drawing another (separation in time clearly illustrates that we are talking about two different item interactions imo) it would be, let's say, an extremely lenient comprehension by the DM (or to call a cat a cat: a houserule).

Asmotherion
2017-09-23, 08:05 PM
Well, you have a half decent AC (though you're one of the few Barbarians that might actually profit from wearing Full Plate Armor), and as long as you use a Shield and don't overdo yourself you'll survive.

An other piece of advice for this character: Don't talk. Ever. You probably don't even know how it's done... you may think you do, but you actually don't. :P

bid
2017-09-23, 09:00 PM
though you're one of the few Barbarians that might actually profit from wearing Full Plate Armor
Can't rage in heavy armor. Well technically you can rage but won't gain any benefit.
Caffeine does that I guess.:smallbiggrin:

Nifft
2017-09-24, 08:34 AM
An other piece of advice for this character: Don't talk. Ever. You probably don't even know how it's done... you may think you do, but you actually don't. :P

Disagree completely.

:thog: thog not talk smart, that mean thog need talk lots.

:thog: also thog axe lots when thog talk not work.

:thog: maybe axe just other kind of talk.

-- Deep Thogs

Knaight
2017-10-11, 08:21 AM

16,15,11,10,6,6 is a perfectly respectable stat line - that 16 and 15 cover your actually important stats quite well, the 11 and 10 prevent the middling importance stats from sucking too hard, and the 6 and 6 go where they don't matter anyways. If 5e was a game where every stat mattered it would be an unfortunate statline, but it isn't so it's not.