PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept --> Adaptation "hellfire" adept

Yogibear41
2017-09-18, 09:48 PM
Going off the adaptation section for the Dragonfire adpet and linking the class to different creature types, what would be some good tweaks to the class to make it a "hellfire" adept, or a Dragonfire adept with "fiendish" ties instead of draconic ties. Any suggestions?

Draconium
2017-09-18, 10:16 PM
You mean Warlock?

Okay, I know that sounded a bit rude, and I'm sorry for that. But the Dragonfire Adept is basically just the Warlock with a draconic flavor, and Warlocks are already connected to fiends fluff-wise. There are a few mechanical differences, but overall, they have very similar playstyles. And if you really want a Hellfire flavor, you could look into the Hellfire Warlock prestige class.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-18, 10:37 PM
You mean Warlock?

Okay, I know that sounded a bit rude, and I'm sorry for that. But the Dragonfire Adept is basically just the Warlock with a draconic flavor, and Warlocks are already connected to fiends fluff-wise. There are a few mechanical differences, but overall, they have very similar playstyles. And if you really want a Hellfire flavor, you could look into the Hellfire Warlock prestige class.

Dragon fire Adept is quite different from warlock fluff wise actually. Dragonfire Adepts draw their power from a strong desire to emulate dragons. Warlocks draw their power from past or current contracts with powerful entities, typically evil. An adapted Dragonfire Adept would then be someone who desires to emulate the power of some powerful lower being but does not actually cut a deal with them.

I think the first step to adapting it is finding evil creatures native to the lower realms that have breath weapons, such as hellfire wyrms. I will go look through my books and see what I can find.

Yogibear41
2017-09-19, 12:30 AM
You mean Warlock?

Oh trust me I know, but I was looking for something that was more AOE than single target, and being based on Con is a nice little side for loads of hit points.

I think the first step to adapting it is finding evil creatures native to the lower realms that have breath weapons, such as hellfire wyrms. I will go look through my books and see what I can find.

The Hellhound springs to my mind, but that's about it.

*Hellfire Engine and Xerfilsyxes both have Breath weapons from FC2

Really thought I would like to stick as close to the original class as able, even going with something as simple as replacing all instances of "dragon" with "evil outsider" or something like that, although the damage reduction and immunities might be better served by changing to 5/good and immune to poison or something like that.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-19, 12:56 AM
Using another post for a clean list:
Fiend Folio: myrmyxicus, xerfilstyx, malephant
FC 1: xerfilstyx (update)
MM 1: hell hound
MM 2: vaporighu, yagnoloth, hellfire wyrm
MM5: Ember Guard

I checked BoVD, FC 1 and 2, Fiend Folio, and all 5 Monster Manuals. This is a lot less extensive than I would have hoped. I will poke through the Demon/Devil lords for idea for breath weapons to replace Discorporating Breath of Bahamut and Five-Fold Breath of Tiamat later.

Nifft
2017-09-19, 01:27 AM
Dragonfire Adepts who are Evil already have access to Five-Fold Breath of Tiamat, which offers rough equity to Hellfire Warlock, but with much more dragon-themed mechanics.

Also notable is that 5FBoT deals HP damage instead of Con damage, and thus they're similar in that both are Pay-to-Slay abilities.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-19, 02:09 AM
Dragonfire Adepts who are Evil already have access to Five-Fold Breath of Tiamat, which offers rough equity to Hellfire Warlock, but with much more dragon-themed mechanics.

Also notable is that 5FBoT deals HP damage instead of Con damage, and thus they're similar in that both are Pay-to-Slay abilities.
1) Non-good, not evil.
2) OP wanted a fiendishly flavored DFA using the adaptation section. Tiamat is a dragon typed god of dragons so not applicable.