PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Prestige classes, +1 level of existing spellcasting class, base classes, debunked

OnlyPlayLawGood
2017-09-18, 10:16 PM
This topic has been a major controversy and the official ruling provided by the author of it is interpretable in manifold ways.

Therefore I suggest an approach of the issue with the context of what was intended by the author of the game in a concrete example.

My brother is at an effective character level of 40 including a cleric class, a generic spellcaster class (arcane), a true necromancer (libris mortis), and a vampire Lord template (LA 11) according to WOC website.

He finds himself abducted by a powerful god that became aware of his epic deeds namely by developing a very powerful epic spell and using it to inscrease his general power and hence do a difference in this DnD campaign where the material plan has been conquered by demons and devils. The god puts him in one of his fabricated dungeons as a challenge. When his character realises that he is in the dungeon, he notices the walls as being of a green crystaline color (almost like dimansional anchor) and therefore decides to cast the epic spell "superb dispelling" (1d20 + max 40).

The DM asks himself : What is the caster level of the class in which the character casts Superb Dispelling, if it is cast as an arcane spell?

Player reads the official ruling and interpretes that any and all benefits is includes in the term "benefit", including the increase of the caster level.

The official ruling for the true necromancer :

Spells per Day/Spells Known: A true necromancer gains
new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she
had also gained a level in either an arcane spellcasting class
she belonged to before adding the prestige class, a divine spell-
casting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class,
or both, according to the accompanying table. She does not,
however, gain any other benefi t a character of that class would
have gained (metamagic or item creation feats and so on; but see
Improved Rebuking and Necromantic Prowess, below). If she had more than one arcane or divine spellcasting class before
becoming a true necromancer, she must decide to which class
she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per
day and spells known.

The Player therefore concludes that the +1 level added to existing spell casting class may only be accounted for the purpose of determining the spell level that he character can cast in the arcane spellcasting class, and do not account for the caster level of that spellcasting class to determining spell power.

The character is Cleric 3, Generic spellcaster (arcane) 3, true necromancer 23, and would thus be able to cast 9th level spells of wither spellcasting class(cleric or Gen SC) at a caster level 3.

However, the player handbook rules at page 171 in the caster level topic that :

CASTER LEVEL
A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most
spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re
using to cast the spell. For example, a fireball deals 1d6 points of
damage per caster level (to a maximum of 10d6), so a 10th-level
wizard can cast a more powerful fireball than a 5th-level wizard can.
You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the
caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell
in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the
same caster level. For example, at 10th level, Mialee can cast a fireball
to a range of 800 feet for 10d6 points of damage. If she wishes, she
can cast a fireball that deals less damage by casting the spell at a lower
caster level, but she must reduce the range according to the selected
caster level, and she can’t cast fireball with a caster level lower than
5th (the minimum level required for a wizard to cast fireball).
In the event that a class feature, domain granted power, or other
special ability provides an adjustment to your caster level, that
adjustment applies not only to effects based on caster level (such as
range, duration, and damage dealt) but also to your caster level
check to overcome your target’s spell resistance (see Spell Resis-
tance, page 177) and to the caster level used in dispel checks (both
the dispel check and the DC of the check). For instance, a 7th-level
cleric with the Good domain casts spells with the good descriptor as
if he were 8th level. This means that his holy smite deals 4d8 points of
damage, he tolls 1d20+8 to overcome spell resistance with his good
spells, and his protection from evil spell resists being dispelled as if it
had been cast by an 8th-level spellcaster.

Back to the initial approach, the context of what was intended by the author, was most assuredly not to create the prestige classes as unplayable characters. Therefore, notwithstanding that the text ruling can grammatically and syntaxialy in english be interpreted that the +1 level of an existing SC class is only for the purpose of determining the level of the spell available in the character's spell list, and that the increase of the Caster Level accounting for that +1 level can be interpreted as being a benefit of some sort, the Caster Level ruling and also the basic ruling of casting spells intended characters to be able to cast spells only if they acheived a certain caster level, in order to balance the game.

Who would play with characters of High ECL not able to cast high level spells, or vice versa?

NOW, I know that there has been many other questions and issues that arose from game situations concerning the stacking of those levels.

In a nutshell for those would don't like roman-length explanations like i did with this post, the +1 level granted by a prestige class (exceptions omitted), are only affecting spellcasting (spell level, spells per day, spells known and caster level) and not the other "benefits" or attributes or bonuses that would be granting the base spellcasring class when you level up by 1 in it. Those benifits include all but is not limited to feats, class features, ab acore bonus, AC, special attacks or abilities and virtually anything in the colums intitled "Attack bonus", "saving throw", and "special" and excludes anything regarding spellcasting.

Note also that some prestige classes grant +1 level in other types of class than a spellcasting one.

to conclude:

coherence between latter and former rulings according to the context of the intent of the author in order to balance and calibrate the game of DnD 3.5.

peace.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-18, 10:55 PM
Long story short: you labored in error. There is no standardized wording to casting advancement. Even in the DMG there are very few casting advancing PRCS that are worded the same and most do not even advance the same aspects. Consider that, by RAW: arcane trickster advances caster level and spells per day, but not spells known; arch mage advances spells known and per day but not caster level; eldritch knight advances spells per day and caster level but words it differently than arcane trickster; lore master advances all three; mystic theurge advances spells per day and caster level and is worded virtually identically to eldritch knight; red wizard advances spells per day and caster level is worded simiarly to mystic theurge and eldritch knight; and thaumaturge rounds us out with language similar to the last few.

These inconsistencies were likely the result of design errors than design intent (as seen through examples such as thaumaturgist referencing spells it would interfere with you accessing) although without speaking to one of these designers it is difficult to determine their exact thoughts.

Fun fact: despite arcane trickster matching up with the most common advancement it's wording is explicitly different.

Kayblis
2017-09-19, 06:35 AM
As noted above, the text for spellcasting PrCs isn't really standarized. Many classes were imported from 3.0, and some of their text was mostly kept the same - that's why classes even in the same book might have different wordings regarding the same thing. It's ridiculous to assume a class would advance spellcasting and not caster level though, as this would mean you get new spells per day and higher level spells known, but can't cast anything above your original caster level - a Wizard 5/PrC 10 would have 8th level spell slots but only CL 5, only allowing him to cast 3rd level spells. Remember, if you're trying to look into a problem using epic rules as your guideline, you'll have no basis for what makes sense or not.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-19, 07:17 AM
The inconsistency of the wording of PrC spellcasting advancement is a RAW problem, but it doesn't affect play or even forum optimization that much. Most people (implicitly or explicitly) blanket-houserule every PrC to advance CL, spells/day, and spells known, at every appropriate level, regardless of wording.

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-19, 09:46 AM
Major controversy? I'm pretty sure everyone already came to the same conclusion that +spellcasting classes have to increase Caster Level or they just don't work.

Vaern
2017-09-19, 10:33 AM
Therefore I suggest an approach of the issue with the context of what was intended by the author of the game in a concrete example.
The easiest way to see what was intended by the author is to look at the sample characters provided in the books for each prestige class and see how they are written.
The sample True Necromancer is Necromancer 3/Cleric 3/True Necromancer 5 and casts cleric spells at CL 7 and wizard spells at CL 7.
So yes, they do gain an additional caster level when their spells known/per day advances. Likewise, when looking at prestige classes in Complete Arcane a couple weeks ago to answer a question regarding blood magi, my group and I determined that a character's caster level does not increase when a prestige class skips a level of spellcasting progression.

OnlyPlayLawGood
2017-09-22, 12:23 PM
Thank you all for reading and i read all the comments. I am glad to see that there are no question. I am just going to add ruling information that I found in core rule books DMG and leave it open for comments :

p.176 DMG1 - Prestige classes;Definition of terms; "Caster Level".

p.206, 207 and 208 DMG2 - Basic features of prestige classes; Designing abilities;

Spells, Spell Lists, and Caster Levels

Some argue that you can’t design a spellcasting prestige
class without making “+1 level of existing class” the spell
progression. Members of the class might gain a caster level
every level, every other level, or every three levels. Gaining
caster levels less often than that removes spellcasting from
the primary focus of the class, so the class abilities have
to compensate by being more desirable.
Providing a short list of spells available to the prestige
class gives spellcasting ability to characters that don’t have
it normally, rather than creating a true spellcasting prestige
class. If providing a list, you must also provide a table
showing access to the spells by class level. Table 6–11,
below, provides spell access for all the standard classes.

Peace

kulosle
2017-09-22, 11:28 PM
Likewise, when looking at prestige classes in Complete Arcane a couple weeks ago to answer a question regarding blood magi, my group and I determined that a character's caster level does not increase when a prestige class skips a level of spellcasting progression.

can you share some insight on this. My group has debated this quite a bit. Prestige classes are levels in a casting class are they not?

bean illus
2017-09-22, 11:42 PM
can you share some insight on this. My group has debated this quite a bit. Prestige classes are levels in a casting class are they not?

A prc is not a base class.

Anxe
2017-09-23, 01:34 AM
It's kind of a moot point if you compare Superb Dispelling to the Dispel Seed. The dispel check bonus isn't supposed to be based off of caster level. Superb Dispelling is weaker than it should be, probably due to some breakdown/oversight during the design process of the Epic Spell rules (WHAT A SURPRISE!).

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-23, 01:48 AM

No. In order to be a casting class you must grant casting. If the class has a strong of +1s to the side it is not a casting class: it makes the game see your casting class level up but does not grant casting itself. If it has the list on the side of the class has that pyramid of numbers to the side is generally a casting class. I am AFB so I cannot give a better explanation ATM sorry but I can offer an analogy.

A casting class is like making a sandwich. Once you gain access you get some bread and some lunchmeat. As you level up you gain toppings such as lettuce and tomato, sauces, and maybe even an option to toast it. A prestige class that advances casting ensures that you will still continue to gain those toppings, possibly at a reduced rate. If you try to put toppings on a sandwich that does not exist then you just have a lettuce leaf, a slice of tomato, and some mayo. That is not a sandwich but a grotesque mockery of a salad.

Khedrac
2017-09-23, 02:54 AM

Basic position: if as a non-caster you take levels in a class and gain the ability to cast spells, then it is a casting class. It is not relevant whether it is a prestige class or not.

Note: although most prestige classes that grant "+1 to casting of existing class" require spellcasting to get into, not all of them do and it is those that don't that illustrate this best. One example is the Cloaked Dancer from Complete Scoundrel - it grants an improvement to spell-casting but does not require casting to enter.