PDA

View Full Version : Monk (Tranquility) & Rogue (Swashbuckler) level 15 combo?

BoxANT
2017-09-18, 11:32 PM
This is a build that I have not been able to actually get to play, but was wondering what y'all think.

Monk 6 - Rogue 14

Monk (Tranquility), at 6 gets Emissary of Peace, giving him prof. in Persuasion, and "whenever you make a charisma check to calm violent emotions or to counsel peace, you have advantage on the roll."

Rogue (Swashbuckler), at 9 gets Panache, giving him the ability to:

"make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by a creature's Wisdom (Insight) check. The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language.

If you succeed on the check and creature is hostile to you, it has disadvantage of attack rolls against targets other than you and can't make opportunity attacks against targets other than you. This effect lats for 1 minute, until one of your companions attacks the target or affects it with a spell, or until you and the target are more than 60 feet apart.

If you succeed on the check and the creature isn't hostile to you, it is charmed by you for 1 minute. While charmed, it regards you as a friendly acquaintance. This effect ends immediately if you or your companions do anything harmful to it."

Combined this with Tranquility Monk's level 3 ability to as at-will Sanctuary on self, makes for an interesting "peace keeper". Seems effective for nullifying the big bad. Granted, at level 15...

Thoughts?

MeeposFire
2017-09-18, 11:41 PM
Advantage can certainly increase your chances but I think it is important to realize that any rogue can get expertise in persuasion if desired and by the time you would get this advantage it essentially gives you much the same benefit on the whole. I am not sure that advantage would be needed in most situations but it would fit thematically if you wanted to be a peace bringer so there is that.

BoxANT
2017-09-19, 01:30 AM
Advantage can certainly increase your chances but I think it is important to realize that any rogue can get expertise in persuasion if desired and by the time you would get this advantage it essentially gives you much the same benefit on the whole. I am not sure that advantage would be needed in most situations but it would fit thematically if you wanted to be a peace bringer so there is that.

True that a rogue can easily get a great persuasion score with expertise, which would handle RP and out of combat well. However, I was thinking more of a tactical advantage, that is to say, reliable control against the biggest bad, while the party destroys rest.

Citan
2017-09-19, 08:08 AM
Hi OP! :)

I agree with MeeposFire here. You certainly made a catchy build, but I'm afraid it would be usable very late.
If you considered this for a campaign that will stretch up to 20, or that boostraps character to something around char level 10, it is certainly a worthy build to try.

Otherwise, I'd rather suggest playing a plain Swashbuckler with an ally casting either Enhance Ability or Sanctuary, or both, or grabbing a Lore Bard 3 multiclass to get EA myself (still a costly investment, but 3 levels instead of 6 makes a huge difference, plus it actually synergizes better thanks to CHA and Cutting Words).

MeeposFire
2017-09-19, 03:31 PM
True that a rogue can easily get a great persuasion score with expertise, which would handle RP and out of combat well. However, I was thinking more of a tactical advantage, that is to say, reliable control against the biggest bad, while the party destroys rest.

What I do not think you understand is that expertise gives you overall the greatest boost to this tactical ability and gives most of what you need. Advantage can be gained from several sources and may not even give you as much of a benefit as expertise eventually will.