PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Homebrew Scaling Magic Item (Paladin Gauntlets)

Willywilliamrtx
2017-09-19, 05:09 AM
So to get down to business; I'm playing in a self-made adventure as a lvl 8 Oathbreaker Paladin (Fallen Aasimar,PAM user) and I've got a pair of magical gauntlets that improve along with me. This idea came from Critical Role's Vestiges of Divergence (Which gain an upgrade to all items under that category at character level 9 and 16 respectively). I'm looking for feedback and other fun ideas to implement onto these gauntlets. Here's what I currently have:

Gauntlets of the Oathbreaker
These initially mundane gauntlets have been accumulating divine energy from its wielder for years and years. With no deity to pull his divine power from the fallen aasimar spends time increasing his influence over the world in his quest to ascend to godhood. As his influence and faith grows prayers and worship towards the aasimar accumulate within the gauntlets.

Abilities
Current
Whenever the Paladin's Divine Smite feature would be used while attuned to these gauntlets its damage type becomes Necrotic instead of Radiant. Additionally, whenever a killing blow is made using the Paladin's Divine Smite feature the wielder of these gauntlets recovers one level 1 spell slot.

Upgrade 1 (Awakened, Level 9)
While attuned to these gauntlets damage dealt by the Paladin's Divine Smite feature bypasses Necrotic Resistance and treats Necrotic Immunity as Resistance.
You may use your reaction when rolling damage as part of your Divine Smite feature to reroll any number of damage dice once.
Additionally the wielder of these gauntlets can spend an action slamming the gauntlets together; causing the wielder to gain the benefits of the Haste spell. The gauntlets regain this power upon finishing a long rest.

Its current abilities are set in stone (as I already play in the campaign with these gauntlets), I'm 600 exp away from lvl 9 and need tweaks/ideas/criticism on it's level 9 abilities.

Thought Process on the level 9 abilities
Resistance Bypass: Because I'm an idiot and decided to make all my Smite damage Necrotic in a campaign where we're fighting mostly various forms of undead.
Rerolling Smite Damage: Our DM has ruled GWF as rerolling only the weapon's damage die and as a result my character took the Defense Fighting Style instead.
Haste Spell: The Vestiges of Divergence are items used in the last war between the gods and titans and have one or multiple once-per-something abilities reflecting that. As my character is a neutral evil oathbreaker trying to amass his own religion and eventually finding a way to become a god I figured the haste benefits would enhance the view of a godly paladin.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 08:08 AM
Your DM is letting you create your own magic item?

Edited:
Also the ability to by pass immunity is a too much at 9th level. The ability to reroll smite damage dice is alright. And the haste effect. Is it letting you cast the spell? Or your just under the effects of the spell. I ask because concentration on that spell. Also I'm afb but do paladins get 3rd level spells by 9th level?

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 08:21 AM
So to get down to business; I'm playing in a self-made adventure as a lvl 8 Oathbreaker Paladin (Fallen Aasimar,PAM user) and I've got a pair of magical gauntlets that improve along with me. This idea came from Critical Role's Vestiges of Divergence (Which gain an upgrade to all items under that category at character level 9 and 16 respectively). I'm looking for feedback and other fun ideas to implement onto these gauntlets. Here's what I currently have:

Gauntlets of the Oathbreaker
These initially mundane gauntlets have been accumulating divine energy from its wielder for years and years. With no deity to pull his divine power from the fallen aasimar spends time increasing his influence over the world in his quest to ascend to godhood. As his influence and faith grows prayers and worship towards the aasimar accumulate within the gauntlets.

Abilities
Current
Whenever the Paladin's Divine Smite feature would be used while attuned to these gauntlets its damage type becomes Necrotic instead of Radiant. Additionally, whenever a killing blow is made using the Paladin's Divine Smite feature the wielder of these gauntlets recovers one level 1 spell slot.

Upgrade 1 (Awakened, Level 9)
While attuned to these gauntlets damage dealt by the Paladin's Divine Smite feature bypasses Necrotic Resistance and treats Necrotic Immunity as Resistance.
You may use your reaction when rolling damage as part of your Divine Smite feature to reroll any number of damage dice once.
Additionally the wielder of these gauntlets can spend an action slamming the gauntlets together; causing the wielder to gain the benefits of the Haste spell. The gauntlets regain this power upon finishing a long rest.

Its current abilities are set in stone (as I already play in the campaign with these gauntlets), I'm 600 exp away from lvl 9 and need tweaks/ideas/criticism on it's level 9 abilities.

Thought Process on the level 9 abilities
Resistance Bypass: Because I'm an idiot and decided to make all my Smite damage Necrotic in a campaign where we're fighting mostly various forms of undead.
Rerolling Smite Damage: Our DM has ruled GWF as rerolling only the weapon's damage die and as a result my character took the Defense Fighting Style instead.
Haste Spell: The Vestiges of Divergence are items used in the last war between the gods and titans and have one or multiple once-per-something abilities reflecting that. As my character is a neutral evil oathbreaker trying to amass his own religion and eventually finding a way to become a god I figured the haste benefits would enhance the view of a godly paladin.

Also your first part ability to regain spell slots with a killing blow with smite is op. I would switch the reroll smite ability and the regain ability. Get rid of the bypassing immunity and make it were you get the second part of the magic item at level 13 level 9 is to early to get powers like that.

Willywilliamrtx
2017-09-19, 10:14 AM
Also your first part ability to regain spell slots with a killing blow with smite is op. I would switch the reroll smite ability and the regain ability. Get rid of the bypassing immunity and make it were you get the second part of the magic item at level 13 level 9 is to early to get powers like that.

To be entirely fair our party consists of a Land Druid, Moon Druid, Wild Sorcerer, Vengeance Paladin, Tome Warlock and myself as Oathbreaker Paladin. I rarely and I mean RARELY get the killing blow on anything, let alone with a smite (this also because I use my slots for thing like inflict wounds and bless. they're too good and I needed a reason to actually start smiting). Apart from that we never really fight large groups of creatures (as an example we fought 2 air-/wind and earth elementals and I was stuck in place holding a shield and my fear aura on all the enemies because we were getting our asses SEVERELY KICKED). I can switch its place with the smite reroll (it won't really matter in play, just changes the item description).

I'll get rid of bypassing immunity, I understand the reasoning.

Paladins do get 3rd lvl spells at level 9 (Oathbreaker just doesn't get Haste). I put it in as a once-per-longrest ability without concentration to make my character more imposing at crucial moments. It's generally about the +2 AC (so I could do Shield as well) but that does nothing for me offensively and my character is very attack-focused.

These gauntlets are in essence a legendary artifact in the making. (with them possibly being retrievable in a later campaign in the same universe x years later)

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 12:24 PM
To be entirely fair our party consists of a Land Druid, Moon Druid, Wild Sorcerer, Vengeance Paladin, Tome Warlock and myself as Oathbreaker Paladin. I rarely and I mean RARELY get the killing blow on anything, let alone with a smite (this also because I use my slots for thing like inflict wounds and bless. they're too good and I needed a reason to actually start smiting). Apart from that we never really fight large groups of creatures (as an example we fought 2 air-/wind and earth elementals and I was stuck in place holding a shield and my fear aura on all the enemies because we were getting our asses SEVERELY KICKED). I can switch its place with the smite reroll (it won't really matter in play, just changes the item description).

I'll get rid of bypassing immunity, I understand the reasoning.

Paladins do get 3rd lvl spells at level 9 (Oathbreaker just doesn't get Haste). I put it in as a once-per-longrest ability without concentration to make my character more imposing at crucial moments. It's generally about the +2 AC (so I could do Shield as well) but that does nothing for me offensively and my character is very attack-focused.

These gauntlets are in essence a legendary artifact in the making. (with them possibly being retrievable in a later campaign in the same universe x years later)

I understand but I still have to say the noncocentration part not right because you are getting rid of the balanceing part of that spell it were when the spell ends you can't move or take any actions for 1 turn. Haste gives you a free action, doubles your speed and +2 to AC.