PDA

View Full Version : A Pam bladelock with out the invocation extra attack but using gfb, bb.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 08:01 AM
I'm not good with math and I over look a lot but. I'm afb but can you gfb the use Pam bonus action attack with a polarm. If you can do that does the damage from gfb do more then a extra attack?

Also on a side note what about a maul on a bladelock.

nickl_2000
2017-09-19, 08:07 AM
Polearm Mastery

Polearm Master
You can keep your enemies at bay with reach weapons. You gain the following benefits:
• When you take the Attack action and attack with only a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon’s damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage.
• While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach

No, because Green Frame Blade is considered a casting a spell (which is a separate action than an Attack action). Part of casting that spell is making a weapon attack. However, you are still taking a "Cast a spell" action. Therefore no bonus 1d4 attack.

I'm not sure what you mean in "What about a maul on a bladelock"

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 08:35 AM
Polearm Mastery

No, because Green Frame Blade is considered a casting a spell (which is a separate action than an Attack action). Part of casting that spell is making a weapon attack. However, you are still taking a "Cast a spell" action. Therefore no bonus 1d4 attack.

I'm not sure what you mean in "What about a maul on a bladelock"

Thanks so a Pam bladelock could get 4 attacks.
1.for when a creature approach you.
2. Attack action
3. Extra attack.
4. Bonus Action attack with butter end.

The second part was is there any mural build for a bladelock?

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 08:50 AM
A invocation that you can take at 5th level only if you have pact of the blade. I think it called thirsting blade.

nickl_2000
2017-09-19, 08:51 AM
2. Attack action
3. Extra attack.

1 - Yes, this uses your reaction
2 - Yes, attack Action
3 - Yes, assuming 5+ level and having the Thirsting Blade invocation
4 - Yes, uses bonus action. Assuming you mean butt end and your phone autocorrected :smalltongue:

It is a good use of action economy. As a side note, you can't use your +CHA bonus to attack and damage with the Hexblade patron since it's a two handed weapon.

A invocation that you can take at 5th level only if you have pact of the blade. I think it called thirsting blade.

Yup, found it after I typed that message. That's why I deleted it :)

Joe the Rat
2017-09-19, 08:57 AM

Actual question: Pretty much any Strength-based / Great Weapon build should work with a maul. Opening with Fighter or Paladin for the Heavy Armor is recommended to reduce the MAD load.

Stated Question: Silent Image gives you a short-term 15*15 artwork, but you'd probably want Guild Artisan for the painter proficiency, and use Unseen Servant to do some of your scutwork for setup. Might be worth taking ritual caster.

Degwerks
2017-09-19, 09:12 AM
To expand a bit on the OP's question, can you use Warcaster with the PAM ability for OA when they enter your reach? So if I had Warcaster can I use that opportunity attack from PAM to cast Booming Blade or GFB when they enter my reach? I know I could if they left my reach.

nickl_2000
2017-09-19, 09:28 AM
To expand a bit on the OP's question, can you use Warcaster with the PAM ability for OA when they enter your reach? So if I had Warcaster can I use that opportunity attack from PAM to cast Booming Blade or GFB when they enter my reach? I know I could if they left my reach.

No for a few reasons
1) (this is up for debate) GFB hits multiple targets, Warcaster must target only one creature
2) AoOs from PAM happen when they enter your threat range (10 ft). Booming blade and GFB both have a ranger of 5 feet. Therefore when the reaction triggers you aren't close enough to hit them with the range of the spells
2a) You could, however, use Booming blade (and possibly GFB if you DM lets you) with PAM, Warcaster, and Spell Sniper. However, that takes forever to come online.

Mikal
2017-09-19, 09:51 AM
2. Attack action
3. Extra attack.

If you mutli-class and take tunnel fighter fighting style you can have 5+ if you take also Sentinel.
5. Reaction if they attack someone besides you within 5 feet
6. Attack if they leave even using disengage (does not apply to force movement or teleport)

And of course attacks 1 and 6 can happen repeatedly if you get a bunch of people in your threat range and are in your tunnel fighter stance
Also gives you the benefit of making their speed 0 if they try and escape you and you hit with the OA.

Degwerks
2017-09-19, 09:58 AM
No for a few reasons
1) (this is up for debate) GFB hits multiple targets, Warcaster must target only one creature
2) AoOs from PAM happen when they enter your threat range (10 ft). Booming blade and GFB both have a ranger of 5 feet. Therefore when the reaction triggers you aren't close enough to hit them with the range of the spells
2a) You could, however, use Booming blade (and possibly GFB if you DM lets you) with PAM, Warcaster, and Spell Sniper. However, that takes forever to come online.

Well what about just using a quarterstaff with booming blade and having Warcaster and PAM?

Mikal
2017-09-19, 10:00 AM
Well what about just using a quarterstaff with booming blade and having Warcaster and PAM?

What would be the point for PAM with booming blade though? Just the OA? You don't get the bonus attack with it.

nickl_2000
2017-09-19, 10:04 AM
What would be the point for PAM with booming blade though? Just the OA? You don't get the bonus attack with it.

Yup, it would be the OA when they enter your area. You can booming blade them for 1d8 Bludgeoning + Xd8 lightning if they move again this round. Not ideal, but you could certainly do it.

Mikal
2017-09-19, 10:13 AM
Yup, it would be the OA when they enter your area. You can booming blade them for 1d8 Bludgeoning + Xd8 lightning if they move again this round. Not ideal, but you could certainly do it.

I'd think that Thirsting Blade would work better, especially after level 12 with Lifedrinker (if Cha is a factor at all). You Eldritch Smite those times you want the extra attack.

Cryosin- Is this a Hexblade Pact of the Blade, or another patron?
If Hexblade, have you considered going Quarterstaff with it and leaving yourself dual-statted/triple-statted?

nickl_2000
2017-09-19, 10:15 AM
I'd think that Thirsting Blade would work better, especially after level 12 with Lifedrinker (if Cha is a factor at all). You Eldritch Smite those times you want the extra attack.

Cryosin- Is this a Hexblade Pact of the Blade, or another patron?
If Hexblade, have you considered going Quarterstaff with it and leaving yourself dual-statted/triple-statted?

I never said it was optimized in response to the question, I just said it would function by RAW :smallwink:

Mikal
2017-09-19, 10:23 AM
I never said it was optimized in response to the question, I just said it would function by RAW :smallwink:

Ha. Fair enough... Could be slightly better if you MC with sorcerer for elemental affinity.

Degwerks
2017-09-19, 10:45 AM
I might have been confusing people. I'm wondering if I can use my quarterstaff with PAM and Warcaster and Booming Blade to cast Booming Blade as my OA when the enemy enters my reach due to PAM. Wasn't sure on this. I know I can when they leave my reach. And yes I would be doing Thirsting Blade normally on my action. Just Booming Blade as my reaction OA.

Mikal
2017-09-19, 10:58 AM
I might have been confusing people. I'm wondering if I can use my quarterstaff with PAM and Warcaster and Booming Blade to cast Booming Blade as my OA when the enemy enters my reach due to PAM. Wasn't sure on this. I know I can when they leave my reach. And yes I would be doing Thirsting Blade normally on my action. Just Booming Blade as my reaction OA.

Oh. Well in that case yes. Booming Blade is a single target spell, though since you're casting the spell instead of doing the OA, you don't get the 0 speed penalty applied. And now I have a reason to keep Booming Blade in my build... though no idea where to fit Warcaster...

Rebonack
2017-09-19, 11:23 AM
No for a few reasons

You can take Spell Sniper to use the BB/GFB with a reach weapon.

A Whip-wielding VHuman Tempest Cleric is pretty fun.