PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Crafting cost reduction for skill use - skill used/DC?

martixy
2017-09-19, 09:05 AM
It says you can reduce the cost of crafting if you make the item require a skill to use.

But I can't find any guidelines on the skill check DCs(or the skill to use for that matter).

Can someone point to any text that addresses this, or at least examples where this option is used?

mattie_p
2017-09-19, 10:21 AM
The rule you are referring to is in reference to crafting magic items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues), and as such there is no craft (skill) DC involved at all. Hope this helps.

martixy
2017-09-19, 10:42 AM
The rule you are referring to is in reference to crafting magic items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues), and as such there is no craft (skill) DC involved at all. Hope this helps.

Yes, I am asking about the rule I'm referring to. I can't ask about it without referring to it.

I actually found one item that requires a skill check to use - "The scrolls of uncertain provenance" from MIC, which however gave no insight, seeing as how they're some kind of special [Relic] type item with multiple wonky abilities. The DC there seemed completely arbitrary.

mattie_p
2017-09-19, 12:05 PM
From your initial post I thought you were asking about how to craft. But now that I understand what you are asking about, I offer the pipes of sounding from the DMG/SRD as an example.

Pipes of Sounding
When played by a character who has the Perform (wind instruments) skill, these pipes create a variety of sounds. The figment sounds are the equivalent of ghost sound (caster level 2nd).

Faint illusion; CL 2nd; Craft Wondrous Item, ghost sound; Price 1,800 gp; Weight 3 lb.

There is no requirement for meeting a particular skill check DC, merely a single rank fulfills the requirement and offers the discount in price.

A normal 0-level spell use activated item at CL 2 would be 2*1/2*2000 or 2000 gp. Requiring a skill drops it 10% to 1800.

martixy
2017-09-19, 12:58 PM
From your initial post I thought you were asking about how to craft. But now that I understand what you are asking about, I offer the pipes of sounding from the DMG/SRD as an example.

There is no requirement for meeting a particular skill check DC, merely a single rank fulfills the requirement and offers the discount in price.

A normal 0-level spell use activated item at CL 2 would be 2*1/2*2000 or 2000 gp. Requiring a skill drops it 10% to 1800.

Right. Thanks. I don't suppose there are actual rules though? :)

mattie_p
2017-09-19, 01:31 PM
The actual rules also state this:

Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.

Your best bet is to talk to your DM, as that is who would make that judgment call. If you are the DM, please ask if you have a specific item in mind. The RAW provides guidelines for the cost of item creation but the actual cost of a custom magic item is up to the DM.

kulosle
2017-09-19, 11:16 PM
There are not stead fast rules on this. Which is why most people ignore this because requiring someone to make a dc 1 balance check in order to use a stone that casts prestidigitation doesn't make sense. The rule is ask your gm if it seems like a good enough draw back to be worth the price reduction.

The idea is that you don't have to make as good of an item. which is easier for you to make. you are only make most of it and only some one that has knowledge the planes can make use of this partial magic item.

martixy
2017-09-20, 09:10 AM
But what if I'm the DM :frown:

Guess I'll do it on a case by case basis.
Maybe 1% off per +2 over 10 DC, type of skill at my discretion.

mattie_p
2017-09-20, 10:40 AM
I already offered a suggestion if you are the DM. Please read above.

The reason it requires DM adjudication is to prevent the crafter of a magic item from creating an object that requires 1 rank in 10 different skills, all of which they have, 5 level of wizard and 3 in the prestige classes they happen to have, CN alignment, their particular race, red hair, green eyes, last name omalley, left handed, wearing blue socks, and was roommate in wizard academy with a necropolitan. Stacking all these qualifiers without the DM having the final say would allow significant discounts on crafting and further imbalance things.

That's also why there is no general rule.