PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox build what do you think?

Sir cryosin
2017-09-19, 09:52 AM
First I know there are better was to optimize paladins but I think this build is cool.

Race: v-human
Feat: dual wielding
Background: noble the Knight varent
Class: paladin/bard? Sorcerer? Or warlock?
Fighting style defense +1 to AC
Main weapons 2 fails
Range two hand throw javelins
AC 18 at lv 1 AC 20 with plate

So I envisioned a guy covered in metal swing around to fails. So I'm thinking of going in paladin to get Aura then maybe muiltilclassing into a caster for spell slots or should I just stay to get improved divine smite to add to my fails?

Byke
2017-09-19, 12:47 PM
First I know there are better was to optimize paladins but I think this build is cool.

Race: v-human
Feat: dual wielding
Background: noble the Knight varent
Class: paladin/bard? Sorcerer? Or warlock?
Fighting style defense +1 to AC
Main weapons 2 fails
Range two hand throw javelins
AC 18 at lv 1 AC 20 with plate

So I envisioned a guy covered in metal swing around to fails. So I'm thinking of going in paladin to get Aura then maybe muiltilclassing into a caster for spell slots or should I just stay to get improved divine smite to add to my fails?

Pal/Socr is always a strong combination. But I have had a hankering lately to try Pal 6 / Hexblade 14 for a more melee centric gish.

CaptainSarathai
2017-09-19, 01:15 PM
What does Paladin bring to the table, beyond Smite?
Dual Wielder is a trap, too. Wielding non-lights in each hand? Woot, +1 damage on average, +2 max.

Two Weapon Style from Fighter is much, much better, and doesn't burn a feat.
Another cool option from Fighter (for your concept) is Battle Master's "Sweeping Attack." Imagine swinging your flail through a group of people, crushing down multiple foes with each swing.

People using several attacks benefit more from any repeatable source of damage, and dual wielders want stuff that's not also attached to one weapon.
Hex or Hunter's Mark work well for this, as does Barb's Rage damage.

bluthunda
2017-09-19, 01:32 PM
What does Paladin bring to the table, beyond Smite?
Dual Wielder is a trap, too. Wielding non-lights in each hand? Woot, +1 damage on average, +2 max.

Two Weapon Style from Fighter is much, much better, and doesn't burn a feat.
Another cool option from Fighter (for your concept) is Battle Master's "Sweeping Attack." Imagine swinging your flail through a group of people, crushing down multiple foes with each swing.

People using several attacks benefit more from any repeatable source of damage, and dual wielders want stuff that's not also attached to one weapon.
Hex or Hunter's Mark work well for this, as does Barb's Rage damage.

Though it may not be optimized dual welding weapons you like longsword for flavor is personally in my opinion worth it plus being able pull both weapons at the same time is also useful if you get ambushed.
Also you can smite on every swing that hits so dual weilding allows more smites per round until your out of spells slots of course

Sigreid
2017-09-19, 01:44 PM
2 levels of warlock for the boosted EB covers the only real weakness a paladin has, which is to say flying or ranged opponents.

Ravinsild
2017-09-19, 01:48 PM
2 levels of warlock for the boosted EB covers the only real weakness a paladin has, which is to say flying or ranged opponents.

Get the invocation that allows you to pull units closer to you with Eldritch Blast (I think it's a UA Invocation though) and reflavor it as a Scorpion style spear. "Get over here!" then proceed to double flail them anyway LOL

Maxilian
2017-09-19, 01:49 PM
If you really wanna use a flail, did you checked the UA of feats for weapons?

Its quite nice.

Flail Mastery

• +1 Attack rolls
• Can use your bonus action, to give you a +2 to every attack against an enemy with a shield
• STR check or fall prone if hit with an OA using a flail.

Joe the Rat
2017-09-19, 03:29 PM
I think it's hilarious, and more power to you.

Sorcerer will get you the deepest pool of spell slots - but since you are in it for wild smite, use it as a paladin slot booster - and grab mobility and utility spells, unless you want to get warcaster. Or find a deity who has "heavy object on a chain" as a holy symbol. Subtle Spell metamagic might be handy. I like putting Warlock on everything, but for it to work best, you need to go light (2-3 for a couple of easy recharge slots) or heavy (2-3 5th level slots, and a handful of low slots from Paladin). It depends on your tastes. My group's paladin likes to dole out precise amounts of radiant smackdown, and you will need mondo small slots to make flurry of bludgeons work. I'd suggest going heavy Paladin, with Sorcerer for expansion. Possibly Wild Magic, because you're already metal chaos in a 5' sphere.

Two-weapon fighting would be a good add-in. Fighter 1 is simplest - or 3 for your choice of Battlemaster (TRIP!) or Eldritch Knight (SLOTS!). You could work in Ranger, and go for Hunter's Mark, then go Hunter and snag Horde Breaker for One More Bludgeon. You can skip this altogether and just think about your attacks as Action: 1st, 2nd. Bonus Action: A weak 3rd.