PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Would an LA+1 race and one level of an NPC class be CR 1?

thorr-kan
2017-09-19, 01:30 PM
Would an LA+1 race and one level of an NPC class be CR 1?

I'll be honest; the whole CR calculation gives me a screaming headache. It is the one part of 3.xED that I can't get to jell.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-19, 01:41 PM
Depends on the CR adjustment of the template. LA doesn't affect CR at all.

A template with CR +0 would result in CR 1/2.
A template with CR +1 would result in CR 1.
A template with CR +n would result in CR n.

Essentially, imagine the CR 1/2 from a single level in an NPC class as being lost to rounding.

atemu1234
2017-09-19, 01:47 PM
What the above poster said, with a caveat - if you're the DM, the CR is basically entirely up to you. Calculation is difficult sometimes, but try to compare its power level with that of things with the target CR.

In most cases, I'd say no. An Aasimar warrior 1 would still be CR 1/2, same as anything else. (Though Drow, LA +2, have CR = {NPC Class Level} or {PC Class Level +1}, according to Drow of the Underdark)

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-19, 03:43 PM
I'll be honest; the whole CR calculation gives me a screaming headache. It is the one part of 3.xED that I can't get to jell.

That is because it does not jell. A lot of monsters have awkward CRS because the designers did not really consider a lot of situations that can come up or devalued that situation (such as long duration flight) that become far more common as more splat books were released. The advancement rules are FUBAR given how they try to cover the advancement of most monsters often fail miserably due to those previously mentioned situations or because the monster possesses something that does berserk if scaled. Templates are also all over the place since how they interact with individual monsters varies but they often assign a flat LA or one scaling on a strictly HD level and that is not talking about the really wonky ones (looking at you tauric).

Assigning CRS accurately is a mix of experience, artistry, and luck.

emeraldstreak
2017-09-19, 03:55 PM
CR is basically entirely up to you.

No, it isn't.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-19, 04:04 PM
No, it isn't.

How so? I mean CR breaking down is a well known phenomenon and a major part of its function is to help DMS estimate ecounter difficult.

Thurbane
2017-09-19, 05:08 PM
To the OP: depends on the race. In most cases, an LA +1 race with 1 level of an NPC class is CR 1/2.

The sample Hobgoblin (LA +1) Warrior 1 in the MM/SRD is CR 1/2.

Compare to a Drow (LA +2), who would be CR 1.

Challenge Rating
Drow with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level. Drow with levels in PC classes have a CR equal to their character level +1.

atemu1234
2017-09-21, 05:30 PM
No, it isn't.

What a wonderful argument you make. I am truly enlightened by your linguistic skill.

thorr-kan
2017-10-04, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the input, folks. So LA has no bearing on CR.

I was toying with building a Hexer, which requires a monstrous race to get into. (Yes, goblinoids, orcs, and kobolds work too; not what I was interested in.) That got me thinking about adepts, adept ACFs, the custist NPC class from the Freeport settings, and whether LA+x races might be a RAW starting point.

JNAProductions
2017-10-04, 01:51 PM
CR is just plain borked. Honestly, just know your party/players, and make sure they face reasonable challenges. Some parties can faceroll EL+5 encounters, no sweat. Others will struggle with EL equal to their's.

Thurbane
2017-10-04, 03:52 PM
That got me thinking about adepts, adept ACFs, the custist NPC class from the Freeport settings, and whether LA+x races might be a RAW starting point.

I'm intrigued by this...which book could I find the class in? Is it for 3.0, 3.5 or PF?

thorr-kan
2017-10-04, 08:45 PM
I'm intrigued by this...which book could I find the class in? Is it for 3.0, 3.5 or PF?
<Kosh>Yes.<\Kosh>

There's one for each. A little sneak attack, a little divine magic, some social skills, a little Leadership...

Let's see:
3.0 - p123 of Freeport - City of Adventure.
3.5 - p26 of both the 3rd Era Freeport Companion and the d20 Freeport Companion; these two match. P121 of the Freeport Trilogy - Fifth Annivesary edition; this one matches the City of Adventure version, and it's the one I prefer.
PF - Pathfinder Freeport Companion; I don't have that one, so I don't know which page it's on or what it does.