PDA

View Full Version : My City of the Dead

Ranis
2007-08-13, 06:05 PM
My party has just taken the plunge into the underground of my campaign world, and I want to take them to the nexus of where my campaign world's dead pass on and pass through the land of the living.

Here's the problem-the plane my campaign takes place on has been disconnected from the multiverse, namely the Ethereal and Astral Planes. As a result, this Plane(named Rakbasha) has developed it's own ethereal/astral system, self-contained into the plane itself. Instead of souls finding a different plane to finally rest, their souls become one with one of the seven different suns of the Rakbasha, each a different color and each representing a piece of the alignment/chaos axis. The soul of someone who dies passes on to whichever sun they worshipped in life(they are somewhat sentient and possess deitific-level power).

I want to make this city into the nexus of that passage, where the souls go to pass, but I want to make it almost exactly like the city of Manifest in Ghostwalk. The city will be filled with living creatures and have the same laws that Manifest does, with the exception of all of the mostly-silly Ghostwalk changes to the original rules.

I also want this city, which I'm naming Phalanx, to be a large hub for trade in the large underground network of tunnels of Rakbasha that somewhat resembles the Underdark. In this city, the PC's will have to consort with the creatures that they would under normal circumstances consider mortal enemies to get directions for where they're going. I think this city could be a great place to return to later on as well, but I want to make sure that this sounds viable to you guys before I release it on them.

What do you all think? Does this sound viable for my homebrew world? Do you think this will be an interesting twist for my players? If you were one of my players, would you enjoy this kind of city?

Pakiti
2007-08-13, 06:08 PM
I think this is as awesome (if not more) than Manifest itself. How would you keep players from just leaping into the afterworld to become these deitiy-like souls?

Korias
2007-08-13, 06:10 PM
Question: Do you have a Paladin in your party? If so, Then I forsee MASSIVE problembs. No paladin is going to politely stop and ask his Arch-Nemesis exactly where the Red Horse is, is he?

Otherwise, It sounds Viable. Making it a central location on the plane (Such as Sigil is located on the Spire) would be the best bet, and perhaps something when all the suns are in alignment above the city.

Ranis
2007-08-13, 06:51 PM
I think this is as awesome (if not more) than Manifest itself. How would you keep players from just leaping into the afterworld to become these deitiy-like souls?

The suns are deitific in power because they are comprised of millions of souls.

What will keep them from passing the void? A small army of ghosts with paladin levels.

Question: Do you have a Paladin in your party? If so, Then I forsee MASSIVE problembs. No paladin is going to politely stop and ask his Arch-Nemesis exactly where the Red Horse is, is he?

Otherwise, It sounds Viable. Making it a central location on the plane (Such as Sigil is located on the Spire) would be the best bet, and perhaps something when all the suns are in alignment above the city.

It will be the law in Phalanx that it is a completely neutral zone. Lawful paladins have to uphold the law, even when it keeps them from doing what they know is right.

It's going to be a very important location on the plane, but it won't be the axis for the entire campaign. Keep in mind that the city is underground, so there can't be an alignment of them, especially due to the fact that Rakbasha is a cylinder and the suns take turns floating through it. :D

Ranis
2007-08-14, 06:04 AM
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Matthew
2007-08-17, 04:08 AM
Sounds interesting. I wouldn't agree with your take on Paladins, but each to his own interpretation. Beware, though, Players make odd decisions.

I think it sounds really neat and that it will be enjoyable for your players. Do you have any specific encounters in mind?

nagora
2007-08-17, 04:23 AM
It will be the law in Phalanx that it is a completely neutral zone. Lawful paladins have to uphold the law, even when it keeps them from doing what they know is right.

Presumably there is a secret society of paladins somewhere working on a plan to destroy this blighted harbour of evil?

Essentially, what you have there is a huge Thieves' Quarter.

Might be fun.