PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need inspiration!

tedcahill2
2017-09-19, 09:46 PM
I'm running session number two of my new campaign this weekend and I'm just not feeling inspired.

I have a world heavily influenced by the world of Dragon Age (the Chantry is the main religious body protected by their Templar military branch, magic is born from a demonic realm called the Fade, and mages that aren't up to snuff can be made "tranquil" closing them off to magic and leaving them unable to cast spells).

In game one events unfolded that ended with a demonic force being released into the world. So to do a little world building I was thinking they would go into this town, Beckton, and their would be reports of demon sighting. Of course mages are the first to have the finger pointed at them and so the witch hunt begins. I want to create a conflict between the church and the local mages that the players should get involved in.

Not sure if it should be a full out mage rebellion or if it should be something more simple like they are hired to clear the name of a wrongfully (or maybe not so wrongfully) imprisoned mage.

Also, one of the players is carrying a religious relic that he told me he plans to return to the church, I did not expect that, and need him to change his mind and hold onto the relic. So I need to make him distrust the church.

Duke of Urrel
2017-09-19, 10:45 PM
Also, one of the players is carrying a religious relic that he told me he plans to return to the church, I did not expect that, and need him to change his mind and hold onto the relic. So I need to make him distrust the church.

Is this really the only option? Suppose the player goes to the church and a priest tells him that he should keep the relic for some special reason. Perhaps the church teaches that any being who finds the relic must be responsible to take care of it.

How do mages get "tranquilized" in your world? There seems to be inherent conflict between divine magic and arcane magic, perhaps beyond the question of whether either type of magic is Good or Evil. (Maybe divine magic is always Lawful and arcane magic is always Chaotic.) The nature of magic in your world may itself suggest some interesting plot lines. Perhaps divine spellcasters strive to banish all arcane magic because of its demonic origin, whereas mages try to control it for various purposes that are not necessarily Evil. A mage who tries to control arcane magic but fails may easily open doors for demons to invade, so that without having Evil intentions himself, he may nonetheless put Beckton in serious metaphysical danger.