PDA

View Full Version : Can you use UMD on Warforged Components?

magicalmagicman
2017-09-19, 11:41 PM
Use Magic Device
Emulate a Race

Some magic items work only for members of certain races, or work better for members of those races. You can use such an item as if you were a race of your choice. You can emulate only one race at a time.

A warforged component usually occupies the same space on the body that a magic item of the same kind normally would. Components that do not occupy any space on the body cost twice what they would cost as ordinary magic items. These components only work when bonded to the body of a warforged; they are not usable by members of any other race.

Does this mean you can embed and use Warforged components regardless of your race (humanoid, undead, Ooze, elemental) if you have a high enough UMD?

Venger
2017-09-19, 11:44 PM
you can. what a great catch!

magicalmagicman
2017-09-19, 11:46 PM
you can. what a great catch!

Oh no! I don't deserve credit here. Credit goes to Forrestfire

You can arguable use Use Magic Device to emulate the race requirements of Warforged Components.

Also, you don't need custom items. In the Eberron Campaign Setting, it states that any magic item can just be made as a Warforged Component at no extra cost. They will still eat slots, but are embedded or attached instead of worn.

Nifft
2017-09-19, 11:48 PM
This is the exact origin story for the robot dance: a Bard who wanted to UMD some Warforged accessories.

BowStreetRunner
2017-09-20, 12:32 AM
"They always get started. They happen everywhere there's people. Mondas, Telos, Earth, Planet 14, Marinus...People plus technology minus humanity." The Doctor

Using UMD on Warforged Components will get you Cybermen.

magicalmagicman
2017-09-21, 02:14 AM
So it's unanimous then? You can embed infinite slotless warforged components into you regardless whether you are a construct, human, animal, outsider, ooze, elemental, or undead?

weckar
2017-09-21, 02:42 AM
If all warforged components are in fact magic items, I suppose the answer is Yes.

Kind of makes Renegade Mastermaker a lot less useful.

Ashtagon
2017-09-21, 03:19 AM
I'd say this probably isn't going to fly.

Part of the magic of these warforged components is that their presence doesn't inhibit the normal day to day activities of the bearer. For that continuous aspect of the magic, you're making a check every hour, day and night, till you remove it. This might be fine for some pieces, but not all of them.

Also, you have to consciously choose what you're emulating when you emulate it. That's not compatible with sleep.

weckar
2017-09-21, 04:33 AM
If you're high enough level to make those checks reliably, you probably have that ioun stone that makes you don't have to sleep.

Ashtagon
2017-09-21, 05:17 AM
If you're high enough level to make those checks reliably, you probably have that ioun stone that makes you don't have to sleep.

Which one is that again?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/

weckar
2017-09-21, 06:19 AM
Well, I was thinking 3.5 regardless, not PF, but I suppose I was mistaken. Guess we just homebrewed it as a slotless item that automatically cast ray of resurgence once per day or something. Effectively the same as not needing to sleep. (Actually anything that prevents fatigue will do)

Seriously, there's ioun stones for not needing to eat, drink and BREATHE - but not sleep? :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2017-09-21, 08:10 PM
The closest I know of is the Ring of Sustenance, but that only lowers the reqs for sleep to 2 hours, instead of 8.

Other options:

You could be an Elan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans). Other races can also get away without sleep.
Tomb Born Vitality feat also works: "You do not need to sleep, and you are immune to magic sleep effects."
Quori Mindhunter 1: "You no longer need to sleep, and you gain immunity to any effect that causes sleep (but not unconsciousness)."
Tattooed Monk 9: "The tattooed monk with an ocean tattoo never needs to eat, sleep, or drink. Minimum Level: 9th."
Thief of Life 10: "...you need not eat or sleep..."
Shadowcaster 20: "Finally, at 20th level, you no longer need to breathe, and need never eat or sleep."

...there's probably others I've missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JEm4d6Wu4