PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom Magical Items (PEACH)

Eliecc
2017-09-20, 12:32 AM
Hey, so i've always loved the idea of magical items that scale with the characters level, and with some inspiration from Critical Role, I finally made some for the players in my game.
I was hoping you wonderful people could tell me if they seem ok or too broken / underpowered for the magical artifacts they are.

I would also love to hear about similar items or ideas for some new ones if you have any :D

As it stands I would be expecting the players to start finding these are around level 7 or 8. With the 1st upgrade (awakened state) happening around level 11 or 12 and the 2nd and final upgrade (exalted state) around level 16.

Wondrous Item, legendary (requires attunement by a non-evil character)

While wearing this crown you exude influence and charm, your Charisma score increases to 22 and you become proficient with the persuasion skill. Additionally you can cast the Charm Person spell (save DC13) while attuned. When you use the crown to cast a spell you can't use that spell again until you complete a long rest.

Awakened:
When the circlet is awakened apply the following changes to its features:

Your Charisma score increases to 24 and you gain expertise in the persuasion skill.
Add Calm Emotions and Zone of Truth to the list of spells the circlet can cast. Additionally Charm Person can now target up to two additional creatures.
The spell save DC for the circlets spells becomes DC15.

Exalted:
When the circlet becomes exalted apply the following changes to its features:

Your Charisma score increases to 26.
Add Rary’s Telepathic Bond to the list of spells the circlet can cast. You don’t require the material components for this spell. Additionally Charm Person can now target up to four additional creatures.
The spell save DC for the circlets spells becomes DC17

Weapon (any sword), legendary (requires attunement)

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. This weapon has 4 charges and regains 1d2 charges daily at dawn. It also has the following additional features.

Chaotic Surge (up to 5 charges). When you hit a creature with this weapon you can choose to expend a number of charges, up to a maximum of 5, to deal chaos damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. This extra damage equals 1d8 for every charge spent.
You determine the damage type by rolling a d6 and using the corresponding type.
1: Fire | 2: Cold | 3: Lightning | 4: Thunder | 5: Radiant | 6: Necrotic
Consume Spell (1 charge). When an enemy within 30 feet casts a spell that requires an attack roll and targets you, you can spend 1 charge as a reaction to impose disadvantage on spell attack roll. If the spell hits, the sword only partly consumes it, you take half damage from the spell. If the spell misses the sword fully consumes the spell and gains an amount of charges equal to the spell’s level.
Mutable Form. When you attune to this weapon you choose the form it takes (shortsword, rapier, longsword, or greatsword).

Awakened:
When the sword is awakened apply the following changes to its features:

Increase the bonus to attack and damage rolls made by this weapon to a +2.
The swords charges increase to a maximum of 6, and recover 1d4 at dawn.
Null Blade. The blade of the sword now functions as a mini Antimagic Field. When you hit a creature or object with the sword you can expend 2 charges as a bonus action to consume any enchantment on the target. You cast Dispel Magic at its lowest level on the target, your spellcasting ability for this is Intelligence.

Exalted:
When the sword becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Increase the bonus to attack and damage rolls made by this weapon to a +3.
The swords charges increase to a maximum of 8, and recover 1d6 at dawn.
Arcane Thievery (3 charges). You have mastered the use of the Null blade and can now attempt to steal magical effects instead of just consuming them. When you hit a creature with this sword you learn which magical effects are active on the target. You can then spend 3 charges as a bonus action to make an Intelligence check (DC = 12 + spell level) to attempt to steal one of the effects. If you succeed, the target immediately loses the benefits of that effect and you gain the effect for 1 minute (or until the effect expires, whichever comes first). If you score a critical hit while attempting this you may make another Intelligence check to attempt to steal one additional effect.

Armor (breastplate), legendary (requires attunement by a druid)

You gain a +1 bonus to AC while wearing this armor. Additionally when you transform using your Wild Shape ability your new form gains the magical bonus to its AC.

Awakened:
When Stonebark Sanctuary is awakened apply the following changes to the items features:

Increase the bonus to AC from this armor to a +2
Woodland Sanctuary. You may cast the Sanctuary spell using your spellcasting ability once per short or long rest.
Rough Skin. The armor or animal skin sprouts thorns. When you are struck by a melee attack the attacker suffers 1d4 piercing damage.

Exalted:
When Stonebark Sanctuary becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Increase the bonus to AC from this armor to a +3
Increase the damage from Rough Skin to 1d6 piercing damage.
Tree Walker. As a bonus action you gain the ability to walk through trees as if under the effects of the Tree Stride spell for 1 minute. Once you use this feature you can’t use it again until you have finished a short or long rest.

Wondrous Item, legendary (requires attunement by a rogue)

This Amulet has 8 charges and regains 1d4+2 charges daily at dawn. While attuned to the amulet you can expend some of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it: Disguise Self (1 charge), Invisibility (2 charges), Tongues (3 charges). Use Intelligence as your spellcasting ability to determine your spell DC.

Awakened:
When the amulet is awakened apply the following changes to the items features:

Charges increase to a maximum of 12, and it regains 1d6+2 charges at dawn.
Add the following spells to the spell to the list of spells that the amulet may cast: Sleep (1 charge), Arcane Lock (2 charges), Major Image (3 charges), Arcane Eye (4 charges), Conjure Volley (5 charges).

Exalted:
When the amulet becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Charges increase to a maximum of 20, and it regains 1d6+4 charges at dawn.
Add the following spells to the spell to the list of spells that the amulet may cast: Feather Fall (1 charge), Knock (2 charges), Haste (3 charges), Greater Invisibility (4 charges), Passwall (5 charges), Blade Barrier (6 charges), Project Image (7 charges).

Weapon (hand crossbow), legendary (requires attunement)

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. When you hit with an attack with this weapon it deals an additional 1d6 cold damage. When you draw this weapon you can extinguish nonmagical flames within 30 feet of you. This property can be used no more than once per hour.

Awakened:
When Wintersbite is awakened apply the following changes to its features:

Increase the additional cold damage inflicted by a hit to 2d6.
Cold Mist. As a bonus action on your turn you briefly become a cold mist, you can teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see. You can use this feature twice between short or long rests.
Winter’s Embrace. You gain resistance to cold damage. Additionally when you kill a creature with this weapon they become a frozen statue until it thaws.

Exalted:
When Wintersbite becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Increase the additional cold damage inflicted by a hit to 3d6.
Frigid Armor. As an action you can coat yourself in ice as per the Investiture of Ice spell.

BRKNdevil
2017-09-20, 07:47 PM
yeah... I dunno, do you have them fight CR's like 8 higher then average party level?

Eliecc
2017-09-20, 11:00 PM
I honestly don't really use the CR system... I kinda just pick a bunch of stuff and throw it at them to see how they handle it, then base the next encounter off that.

So far we have only had 2 sessions with tonight being the third. (Yes I know ... I'm planning way far in advance)

Last time they (party of 5 lvl 3's with no magic items) fought 6 Worgs (CR1/2) with goblin riders (CR 1/4) and won without too much effort... and according to the calculator i just looked up that should of been a "deadly encounter".

tonight the move onto a goblin cave with around 18 goblins, 1 goblin cleric (lvl 1) and a goblin boss.
I mean they won't encounter them all in the one room ... but the boss fight at the end will be the boss the cleric and probably around 8-10 goblins. which is also a deadly encounter by itself.

sooooo yes? maybe?

BRKNdevil
2017-09-20, 11:15 PM
yeah, those Encounter ratings are under the assumption of a 4 person team with 3-4 encounter's in a single session without a long rest and maybe 2 short ones

demonslayerelf
2017-09-21, 08:50 AM
Curveball on the current discussion; CR is broken, if you have a party that isn't grossly incompetent they'll be killing triple-deadly encounters on a regular basis, albeit with some challenge.(Usually.)

I personally use a modified form of the "Three pillars of play" UA from WOTC, which I made back in the days of 3.5 and adapted. It basically works off of tiers(Of which I define there as 8, in 5e, for nonplayer everythings), and keeps the numbers pretty videogame-y, with you gaining 100 experience before losing it all.

That aside, looking at the magical items;

While wearing this crown you exude influence and charm, your Charisma score increases to 22 and you become proficient with the persuasion skill. Additionally you can cast the Charm Person spell (save DC13) while attuned. When you use the crown to cast a spell you can't use that spell again until you complete a long rest.

Awakened:

Your Charisma score increases to 24 and you gain expertise in the persuasion skill.
Add Calm Emotions and Zone of Truth to the list of spells the circlet can cast. Additionally Charm Person can now target up to two additional creatures.

Exalted:

Your Charisma score increases to 26.
Add Rary’s Telepathic Bond to the list of spells the circlet can cast. You don’t require the material components for this spell. Additionally Charm Person can now target up to four additional creatures.

First thing I see is that it has it's own DC's. While that isn't a bad thing, it's a bit strange for powerful magical items, which typically use your casting modifier and things. I guess this isn't an "expend charges" item, but I think it's a little strange still.

Second thing is actually a bit of a red flag, which is the charisma bonus. It works with strength, because strength only contributes to minor(as compared to spells) effects, which is why belts of giant strength are more or less okay if you get them at the right time. But imagine a bard/sorcerer/warlock getting this circlet; Their DC goes from 19 to 22, which isn't much, but because 5e has low numbers, makes a significant difference.

Otherwise, looks more or less fine. I would consider a few more spells, because by the end it's a legendary artifact that casts only 4 spells, but otherwise only gives a stat increase.

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. This weapon has 4 charges and regains 1d2 charges daily at dawn. It also has the following additional features.

Chaotic Surge (up to 5 charges). When you hit a creature with this weapon you can choose to expend a number of charges, up to a maximum of 5, to deal chaos damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. This extra damage equals 1d8 for every charge spent.
Consume Spell (1 charge). When an enemy within 30 feet casts a spell that requires an attack roll and targets you, you can spend 1 charge as a reaction to impose disadvantage on spell attack roll. If the spell hits, the sword only partly consumes it, you take half damage from the spell. If the spell misses the sword fully consumes the spell and gains an amount of charges equal to the spell’s level.
Mutable Form. When you attune to this weapon you choose the form it takes (shortsword, rapier, longsword, or greatsword).

Awakened:

Null Blade. The blade of the sword now functions as a mini Antimagic Field. When you hit a creature or object with the sword you can expend 2 charges as a bonus action to consume any enchantment on the target. You cast Dispel Magic at its lowest level on the target, your spellcasting ability for this is Intelligence.

Exalted:
When the sword becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Arcane Thievery (3 charges). You have mastered the use of the Null blade and can now attempt to steal magical effects instead of just consuming them. When you hit a creature with this sword you learn which magical effects are active on the target. You can then spend 3 charges as a bonus action to make an Intelligence check (DC = 12 + spell level) to attempt to steal one of the effects. If you succeed, the target immediately loses the benefits of that effect and you gain the effect for 1 minute (or until the effect expires, whichever comes first). If you score a critical hit while attempting this you may make another Intelligence check to attempt to steal one additional effect.

This weapon... Holy Hell, man. It's so perfect for Nova builds. Assassin Paladins? This would more than double their early damage, and almost double by the end. Drop 5 charges on Chaotic Surge, that's 5d8, then smite for another 5d8, then add some sneak attack... All on a crit, that's terrifying. I also think it's strange they can put 5 charges in an ability when they only possess 4 charges without awakening, but that's purely semantic.

I love the other abilities, though. I would allow dispel magic to have a bonus, maybe +1 for each charge expended, but that's just me, it should be perfectly fine. Arcane Thievery is pretty awesome.

This sword would be perfect for an Eldritch Knight, and absolute overkill on a Nova Build.

You gain a +1 bonus to AC while wearing this armor. Additionally when you transform using your Wild Shape ability your new form gains the magical bonus to its AC.

Awakened:
When Stonebark Sanctuary is awakened apply the following changes to the items features:

Woodland Sanctuary. You may cast the Sanctuary spell using your spellcasting ability once per short or long rest.
Rough Skin. The armor or animal skin sprouts thorns. When you are struck by a melee attack the attacker suffers 1d4 piercing damage.

Exalted:
When Stonebark Sanctuary becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Tree Walker. As a bonus action you gain the ability to walk through trees as if under the effects of the Tree Stride spell for 1 minute. Once you use this feature you can’t use it again until you have finished a short or long rest.

I only see one problem with this armor. A monk-druid multiclass would add +8 or so to a beast's AC, 3 from armor 5 from unarmored defense. Unless you specifically say "no, that doesn't work," or the beast is considered as "wearing armor," which I don't really see. Otherwise, I like it. Rough Skin might prohibit creatures who are attacking with a reach weapon from taking the damage, as well, but that's more semantics.

This Amulet has 8 charges and regains 1d4+2 charges daily at dawn. While attuned to the amulet you can expend some of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it: Disguise Self (1 charge), Invisibility (2 charges), Tongues (3 charges). Use Intelligence as your spellcasting ability to determine your spell DC.

Awakened:

Charges increase to a maximum of 12, and it regains 1d6+2 charges at dawn.
Add the following spells to the spell to the list of spells that the amulet may cast: Sleep (1 charge), Arcane Lock (2 charges), Major Image (3 charges), Arcane Eye (4 charges), Conjure Volley (5 charges).

Exalted:
When the amulet becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Charges increase to a maximum of 20, and it regains 1d6+4 charges at dawn.
Add the following spells to the spell to the list of spells that the amulet may cast: Feather Fall (1 charge), Knock (2 charges), Haste (3 charges), Greater Invisibility (4 charges), Passwall (5 charges), Blade Barrier (6 charges), Project Image (7 charges).

This seems great for an Arcane Trickster. Other rogues might certainly use it well, but their illusions usually won't be as good. I feel like there might be too many spells on the ending list, though.

Disguise Self, Invisibility, Tongues, Major Image, Arcane lock, Arcane Eye, Conjure Volley, Haste, knock, Feather Fall, Greater Invisibility, Passwall, Blade Barrier, and Project Image all from a single casting device. More spells than a staff of the magi- Which is designed for a spellcaster. Some of these spells are really potent, too, like Blade Barrier. Conjure Volley could spread a sneak attack to several enemies, since it adds to the attack, not the creature.

Maybe tighten up the spell list a bit(Haste, Conjure Volley, and Blade Barrier seem a little out of place, while everything else seems like the magical thief's toolkit, which I think is what you were going for), but otherwise I think it's probably fine for a legendary artifact.

I feel like it should have a special effect which isn't a spell- Maybe advantage in determining if something is an illusion? Or perhaps an ability that allows the rogue to teleport(Say, 30 feet?) and leave an afterimage for a turn or something. Maybe even just turn invisible during movement after casting an illusion. Nothing too powerful, I think, but very much "Magical Spy."

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. When you hit with an attack with this weapon it deals an additional 1d6 cold damage. When you draw this weapon you can extinguish nonmagical flames within 30 feet of you. This property can be used no more than once per hour.

Awakened:

Increase the additional cold damage inflicted by a hit to 2d6.
Cold Mist. As a bonus action on your turn you briefly become a cold mist, you can teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see. You can use this feature twice between short or long rests.
Winter’s Embrace. You gain resistance to cold damage. Additionally when you kill a creature with this weapon they become a frozen statue until it thaws.

Exalted:
When Wintersbite becomes exalted apply the following changes to the items features:

Increase the additional cold damage inflicted by a hit to 3d6.
Frigid Armor. As an action you can coat yourself in ice as per the Investiture of Ice spell.

This one, this is a little more than "a bit much." A hand-crossbow, hitting someone for 2 greatsword swings of damage, is absurd. Also, how do you "draw" a hand-crossbow? You don't really have a sheathe for it, it's kinda just at your belt or on your back.

Quadruple damage(As compared to a normal hand-crossbow), a 6th level spell, 2/rest Misty Step(That's essentially what it is), resistance to cold damage.

Compare to Whisper, from Critical Role. An additional 1d8 damage, fear on a crit, and teleportation via an attack.

Yeah, wintersbite is a bit much. It's a little balanced, if it's being used by a Fighter 20(Because of the Loading property), but imagine a spellcaster picking this up. In terms of damage, it puts them more or less on par with a Fighter 20 with a shortsword, without spellcasting.(The Fighter's still gonna do more damage, obviously, but that's not the point.)

All in all, I like them. Minor things here and there, but I like them pretty well. Good job.

Eliecc
2017-09-21, 04:58 PM
All in all, I like them. Minor things here and there, but I like them pretty well. Good job.

First I would just like to thank you for you comments :D i'll look into some of the changes you suggested later today and see what we can do.

Eliecc
2017-09-21, 08:24 PM
Changes are in pink and kind of explained a little in the comments.

While wearing this crown you exude influence and charm, your Charisma score becomes 18 and you become proficient with the persuasion skill. Additionally you can cast the Charm Person spell (save DC13) while attuned. When you use the crown to cast a spell you can't use that spell again until you complete a long rest.

Awakened:

Your Charisma score becomes 20 and you gain expertise in the persuasion skill.

Exalted:

Your Charisma score becomes 22.
Add Aura of Purity, Rary’s Telepathic Bond (You don’t require the material components for this spell) to the list of spells the circlet can cast. Additionally Charm Person can now target up to four additional creatures.
Sense Emotions. As an action you are able to read others emotions and how best to use it to your advantage for 10 minutes. As an action on subsequent turns you can turn your focus on one humanoid you can see within 30 feet of you. You instantly learn the target’s prevailing emotion, whether it’s love, anger, pain, fear, calm, or something else. If the target isn’t actually humanoid or it is immune to being charmed, you sense that it is calm.
You gain advantage on any charisma based check involving your focused target. Once you have used this feature you can't use it again until the next dawn.

There is a vestige in the Tal'Dorei campaign guide called "Armor of the Valiant Soul" which uses its own Spell DC for the Command spell. Granted that is the only spell it gets ... I liked the idea so I used it for the crown. Now I lowered the Charisma boost to 18 - 20 - 22. Added 1 additional spell (Aura of Purity) and added the Sense Emotion feature. Hopefully this makes it a little better.

Chaotic Surge (up to 4 charges). When you hit a creature with this weapon you can choose to expend a number of charges, up to a maximum of 4, to deal chaos damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. This extra damage equals 1d8 for every charge spent.
Consume Spell (1 charge). When an enemy within 30 feet casts a spell that requires an attack roll and targets you, you can spend 1 charge as a reaction to impose disadvantage on spell attack roll. If the spell hits, the sword only partly consumes it, you take half damage from the spell. If the spell misses the sword fully consumes the spell and gains an amount of charges equal to the spell’s level (minimum of 1).

Awakened:

Null Blade. The blade of the sword now functions as a mini Antimagic Field. When you hit a creature or object with the sword you can expend 2 charges as a bonus action to consume any enchantment on the target. You cast Dispel Magic at its lowest level on the target, your spellcasting ability for this is Intelligence. You may spend additional charges to gain a +1 bonus to your Dispel Magic check per charge spent.

Exalted:

Yeah, the thought of using it in a nova build with a paladin / rogue would hurt a lot. But I felt the limited amount of charges on it kind of limited that behaviour to once per long rest at most, lest you waste all your charges and not be able to pull of the other features. However I was thinking about reducing the damage die from Chaotic Surge to a d6 instead of d8. Thoughts on that?
I did end up lowering the max charges able to be used for Chaotic Surge to 4 to match the original charge limit. Added a minimum of 1 charge gained through Consume Spell and made it so you could spend additional charges on the dispel magic.

Awakened:

Woodland Sanctuary. You may cast the Sanctuary spell, without requiring components, using your spellcasting ability once per short or long rest.
Rough Skin. The armor or animal skin sprouts thorns. When a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with a melee attack, they suffer 1d4 piercing damage.

Exalted:

Unarmored defense never even crossed my mind with this ... since you are wearing the armor to gain the effects. In the early versions I had of this armor it was written as the armor grows with your new form. So that bear you just turned into has armor ... except that didn't really work well with the Elemental Wild Shape feature that Circle of the Moon druids get at level 10. A fire elemental wearing wooden armor? lol

Personally in this situation I would say that wouldn't work since you are wearing armor.

I added a within 5 feet clause into the Rough Skin feature, and made it so the Sanctuary spell from Woodland Sanctuary requires no components to cast. So you should be able to cast this while wild shaped.

This Amulet has 6 charges and regains 1d4 charges daily at dawn. While attuned to the amulet you can expend some of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it: Disguise Self (1 charge), Sleep (1 charge), Knock (2 charges). Use Intelligence as your spellcasting ability to determine your spell DC.

Awakened:

Charges increase to a maximum of 10, and it regains 1d6 charges at dawn.
Add the following spells to the spell to the list of spells that the amulet may cast: Tongues (3 charges), Major Image (3 charges), Greater Invisibility (4 charges).

Exalted:

Charges increase to a maximum of 16, and it regains 1d8 charges at dawn.
Add the following spells to the spell to the list of spells that the amulet may cast: Arcane Eye (4 charges), Passwall (5 charges), Project Image (7 charges).
Decoy. As an action you turn invisible for 1 minute or until you lose concentraion (as if you were concentrating on a spell) and can teleport to a unoccupied space you can see within 30 feet, additionally you create a perfect illusion of yourself in your original space that acts in a manor of your choosing upon creating it. On subsequent turns you can use your action to further control your illusion, moving it up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you. If you move or take any action other than controlling your illusion this effect ends and you become visible again. Once you have used this feature you can't use it again until the next dawn.

To explain Vael's Amulet a little more, it was created to aid a spy master during <insert ancient war> to help him infiltrate other countries. The reason Haste, Conjure Volley, and Blade Barrier appeared on the list was eventually he might get caught ... and needed a few tricks to escape. That being said I've refined the list further to only grant 3 spells per stage and reduced the amount of charges.

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. When you hit with an attack with this weapon it deals an additional 1d4 cold damage. When you are holding this weapon in your hand you can choose to extinguish nonmagical flames within 30 feet of you. This property can be used no more than once per hour.

Awakened:

Increase the additional cold damage inflicted by a hit to 1d6.
Winter’s Embrace. When you kill a creature with this weapon they become a frozen statue until it thaws. (removed cold resistance)

Exalted:

Increase the additional cold damage inflicted by a hit to 1d8.
Frigid Armor. As an action you can surround yourself in a spectral frost gaining 15 temporary hit points for 1 hour. If a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have these hit points, the creature takes 15 cold damage..

I really appreciated the notes on this one. I made this right after the sword and honestly thought it was a little lame, comparatively. Now I see I just made a monster of a crossbow lol.
Changed the wording on the draw feature, hopefully it makes more sense now. Reduced the extra damage to a 1d4 that scales to a 1d6 at awakened and a 1d8 by exalted. Removed the cold resistance from Winter's Embrace. For Frigid armor I removed Investiture of Ice and replaced it with the equivalent of a 3rd level Armor of Agathys.