PDA

View Full Version : Bard build, core only, lvl 1..9

Yahzi
2017-09-20, 05:11 AM
3.5 Core only.

Assuming attributes of 16 /14 or 14 / 14 / 14.

I'm just kinda stuck. Any ideas?

Eldariel
2017-09-20, 05:17 AM
Not much to do. It's core Bard; can't really use metamagic and kinda sucks at combat. Perhaps pick Spell Penetrations and crafting feats; Rapid Shot if you plan on shooting things with a bow. 14 / 14 / 14 sounds good but what are the rest? You probably want a lot of stats and high Cha to really shine though. And definitely lots of skill points. Your spells are your biggest feature, but skills come up too and some songs are sweet (Inspire Greatness, higher level Inspire Courages). Pick spells smart; Glitterdust, Alter Self, Invisibility, etc.

EDIT: It's obviously still stronger than martials since it's a spellcaster and Core so don't mind that. But most of the good feats are full caster only, and Bard benefits less of the PRCs than Wizard/Cleric (and Druids are Druids).

Yahzi
2017-09-20, 05:47 AM
Not much to do.
I'm trying to come up with NPC bards. Archery is good, then.

Eldariel
2017-09-20, 06:54 AM
I'm trying to come up with NPC bards. Archery is good, then.

More details on the stats tho. Is it 14/14/14/10/10/10 or /8/8/8? Anyways, Cha > Dex/Con > Int/Str > Wis. If you invest in Str, you can get a bit more out of the bow and backup melee options like Alter Self. In fact, specifically for an Archer I might even promote Str 14 over Con, though that leaves both, HP and Fort lacking.

You want PBS/Rapid/Precise Shot and +1 Seeking Bow. The remaining feats can do things like Improved Initiative or crafting. Even Weapon Focus can be taken. The usual option for combat is casting Haste, starting up Inspire Courage and shooting at things, 4 arrows a turn. Level-ups to Cha of course.

Other spells should do Bardy things. Invisibility, Glibness, Grease, Glitterdust, Silent Image, Alter Self, Unseen Servant, Mirror Image, Silence, Shatter, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, Scrying, etc. Phantom Steed looks really good all day, even if it doesn't fly yet. 180' move speed is awesome. Summon Monster III and Blink are fine too. Plenty of Scrolls, Wands and UMD probably too. Let your mind run wild but remember that PBS/Precise Shot apply to touch attacks too.

weckar
2017-09-20, 07:09 AM
When you say 'Core', what do you mean? I've heard it defined various ways.

Yahzi
2017-09-22, 07:56 AM
When you say 'Core', what do you mean? I've heard it defined various ways.
I mean the 3 books only. Well, plus my houserules, but that's a given, right? :smallbiggrin:

Here's the Wandering Troubadour at level 1:
1st Bard
Move 30’, AC 15, 6 HP
Pierce +2 (1d6+2) @ 80’
Pierce +2 (1d6+2)
F+0, R+4, W+2
STR 14, DEX 14, CHA 14
Literacy, EWP: Composite bow, SF: Perform
Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Heal +2, Hide +6, Perform +11, Spot +4, Survival +2
Imp. Shortbow (STR 14), Spear, MW Studded Leather, MW Lyre
Tactics: Inspire Courage (+1 to hit and saves for allies)
Spells: 0th (2)

And at 9th:
9th Bard
Move 60’, AC 16, 42 HP
Pierce +10, +5 (1d6+3 + 1d6) @ 80’
Pierce +9, +4 (1d6+2)
(3) Glitterdust DC 18
(1) Mirror Image (1st round)
(1) Displacement (2nd round)
(2) Summon Monster III
F+3, R+9, W+6
STR 14, DEX 16, CHA 18
Literacy, EWP: Composite bow, SF: Perform, SF: Enchantment, Craft Wondrous Item, Leadership
Bluff +18, Diplomacy +18, Heal +6, Hide +25, Perform +21, Spot +12, Survival +6
Magic +1 Shocking Imp. Shortbow (STR 14), MW Spear, MW Studded Leather, MW Lyre, CHA +2, DEX +2, Boots of Striding, Cloak of Elvenkind
Spells: 0th (3), 1st (4), 2nd (4), 3rd (3)

Doesn't include his allies, of course, but it's just a quick guide to an NPC.

eggynack
2017-09-22, 02:27 PM
Improved initiative is always a reasonable choice, and spells and inspire courage serve to make the first action valuable. Most of the character design is inevitably going to lie within the spell list in core, in any case.

Eladrinblade
2017-09-22, 07:55 PM
The lowest levels are about the only time bards can really help in combat by actually attacking. Either get a shortbow and a buckler, or a heavy shield and a good one-handed weapon and try to help flank and such. Bards are proficient with whips, but I'm not sure what they're supposed to do with them. Mostly you're going to sing and try to help out without getting killed.

You have access to the lullaby spell, which is great at setting up enemies for the mages sleep spell. It's only truly useful at low levels.

Try to get your hands on some scrolls or maybe a wand from your spell list, or else try to UMD.

I try to focus on cha-skills when I make bards. Bluff, Diplomacy, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, UMD, Gather Information, and 5 ranks in history, local, and nobility/royalty for the synergies. You have access to balance, so try to squeeze 5 ranks into that, and tumble, which is always useful. Spellcraft too.

For feats, you don't have any really good options. The best bard feats are non-core. Were it me, I'd focus on spellcasting and get enchantment/illusion focus and spell penetration. Improved Initiative can let you end fights before they begin, if you're lucky with your spells, and it also lets you buff your allies before their turns.

Yahzi
2017-09-22, 09:54 PM
I built a bunch of stock NPCs from 1st to 9th level, and I have to say, the Pyromancer seems the scariest.

But with my house rules (fighters get 29 pt buy, good saves, 4 skill per level, 1 feat per level), the Dukes turned out pretty dang scary, as long as they can come at you with a lance.

NecroDancer
2017-09-23, 12:35 AM
I'd take a level in Barbarian to enhance your melee capabilities. Maybe you can enter the assassin prestige class?