PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3e

Adme
2017-09-20, 09:05 AM
Hi, everyone! New to the forum and new to M&M, so I'm kinda trying to figure out both. I've been dissecting premade characters to make sure I properly understand the math behind the point-buy system, and I'm finding myself in a sort of a pickle....There's this one character who has the following powers:

Elasticity (Elongation 4 (120 feet); Enhanced Advantages 4 (Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold); Strength-based Damage 3; Mimicry (Feature 1 (Vocal Mimic)); Shapechanger (Morph 3 (Humanoids)); Shapeshifting (Variable 8 (Assumed Forms), Move Action, Limited to Living Creatures).

According to my calculations, it should be : Elongation 4 (4 x 1 point = 4), Enhanced Advantages 4 (4 x 1 point = 4), Strenght-based Damage 3 (3 x 1 points = 3), Feature 1 (1 point), Morph 3 (3 x 5 points = 15), Variable 8, Move Action, Limited to Living People (8 x (7 +1 -1) points = 56 points), for a grand total of 83 points.

Now, the character sheet lists 82 points allotted to powers, so my math must be off somewhere, but I can't figure out where....It could be that Enhanced Advantages have the wrong number of points per rank (it's not listed anywhere, and I just assumed it was an application of Enhanced Trait), or that this Feature comes free (but then why list it as a Feature 1, if that's the case?). Can you guys help me out?

Anonymouswizard
2017-09-20, 04:40 PM
While I can't work out where the missing or extra point is, that an incredible waste. Have you checked that the sheet had all the tracks and point values correct?

Shapeshifting (assumed forms) cuts out the need for Morph entirely, you can use the variable points to take Morph (IIRC only ever one rank of it, to represent being humanoid but looking different). You'll want to learn these little tricks to help boost your characters. So that's 71/70 points.

Beleriphon
2017-10-09, 07:47 AM
Now, the character sheet lists 82 points allotted to powers, so my math must be off somewhere, but I can't figure out where....It could be that Enhanced Advantages have the wrong number of points per rank (it's not listed anywhere, and I just assumed it was an application of Enhanced Trait), or that this Feature comes free (but then why list it as a Feature 1, if that's the case?). Can you guys help me out?

Enhanced Advantages are an application of Enhanced Trait. The Feature isn't a feature per se until you want to be automatic rather than a function of disguises.

Generally a Feature needs to be useful, like a hidden leg compartment, or something similar but otherwise not part of the normal rules.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-09, 08:08 AM
Your math looks right. The Feature is one of the example ones, and Enhanced Traits always cost the same as the base Trait, so... dunno. What's the original source?

Adme
2017-10-09, 01:44 PM
It's from the DC Adventures: Heroes & Villains Vol. 2. To be fair, I've found other mistakes going forward, so I think it's more of a general problem with the book rather than my math

JustIgnoreMe
2017-10-10, 02:54 PM
Ah, DC Heroes is the precursor to M&M3e, so the system and the maths won't always match perfectly.

Also, if it's a single point difference, it's most likely a rounding error somewhere. Not all books are perfect and error free, especially in points-buy systems.

Beleriphon
2017-10-11, 08:33 AM
Ah, DC Heroes is the precursor to M&M3e, so the system and the maths won't always match perfectly.

Also, if it's a single point difference, it's most likely a rounding error somewhere. Not all books are perfect and error free, especially in points-buy systems.

Add to that the fact that the DC Adventures characters, especially Heroes and Villains, were written by something like a dozen different authors for each build and there are bound to be a few errors cropping up here and there.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-11, 08:44 AM
Add to that the fact that the DC Adventures characters, especially Heroes and Villains, were written by something like a dozen different authors for each build and there are bound to be a few errors cropping up here and there.
Especially since most are made to be NPCs (ie, not at a neat pp=15*PL), where the exact point counts are unimportant.

Spamotron
2017-10-19, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone I'm trying to create a basic character in order to understand the system. Theme superhuman wrestler with some inspiration from luchadores. PL 10 150 Points

Abilities: Strength 13 (Super Strength Being a Key Concept, 26 Points) Stamina 13 (As tough as strong, 26 Points) Dexterity 0 Agility 7 (acrobatic luchadore, 14 Points) Fighting 7 (Technique is as important as strength to a wrestler, 14 Points) Intellect 0 Awareness 7 (A wrestler is a disciplined and aware martial artist in their own right 14 Points) Presence 0
Dodge 7 Fortitude 13 Parry 7 Toughness 13 Will 7 Initiative 7
Skills: Acrobatics 13 Athletics 7 Throwing 7 Insight 13 Perception 13 Expertise 5 (Pro Wrestler) (29 Points)
Advantages: Chokehold (1 Point), Fast Grab (1 Point), Improved Grab (1 Point), Improved Hold (1 Point), Prone Fighting (1 Point), Fearlessness (1 Point), Great Endurance (1 Point), (Most of the Advantages are self explanatory for a fit well trained wrestler. Fearlessness is in case I have to fight Dracula or the Wolf Man)
Powers: Leaping 7 (Standard way for people with super strength to get around, 7 Points), Affliction 13 (Stunning Headbutt, 13 Points)

How does it look?

Did I understand correctly that there is no point in taking the close combat skill because Strength 13 + Fighting 7 already hits the PL cap?

JustIgnoreMe
2017-10-20, 02:51 PM
Disclaimer: I am not currently playing M&M 3e so I am rusty.

You're right about how the PL caps work.

Your defences are at cap, which is right to do.

You have a travel power and a melee attack but currently no ranged attack. You may want one.

You can do more for the points with your powers. Instead of buying Affliction as itself, buy it as an Alternate Effect of your Strength (you'll only be able to headbutt people when you're not using your Strength for other things).

With the points you save, buy some stupid brick tricks or luchador moves (you can make some of them Alt effects too). Groundstrike, Shockwaves, Green Mist... See if you can find Power Profiles and look at Strength Powers and Skill in that.

Beleriphon
2017-10-20, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone I'm trying to create a basic character in order to understand the system. Theme superhuman wrestler with some inspiration from luchadores. PL 10 150 Points

Abilities: Strength 13 (Super Strength Being a Key Concept, 26 Points) Stamina 13 (As tough as strong, 26 Points) Dexterity 0 Agility 7 (acrobatic luchadore, 14 Points) Fighting 7 (Technique is as important as strength to a wrestler, 14 Points) Intellect 0 Awareness 7 (A wrestler is a disciplined and aware martial artist in their own right 14 Points) Presence 0
Dodge 7 Fortitude 13 Parry 7 Toughness 13 Will 7 Initiative 7
Skills: Acrobatics 13 Athletics 7 Throwing 7 Insight 13 Perception 13 Expertise 5 (Pro Wrestler) (29 Points)
Advantages: Chokehold (1 Point), Fast Grab (1 Point), Improved Grab (1 Point), Improved Hold (1 Point), Prone Fighting (1 Point), Fearlessness (1 Point), Great Endurance (1 Point), (Most of the Advantages are self explanatory for a fit well trained wrestler. Fearlessness is in case I have to fight Dracula or the Wolf Man)
Powers: Leaping 7 (Standard way for people with super strength to get around, 7 Points), Affliction 13 (Stunning Headbutt, 13 Points)

How does it look?

Did I understand correctly that there is no point in taking the close combat skill because Strength 13 + Fighting 7 already hits the PL cap?

Looks like a pretty straight forward brawler.

And yes, for the Fighting vs Close Combat skill, there's no point in buying up close combat since you hit the max bonus with a Fighting attribute of 7 when your strength is 13.

What kind of complications are you looking at including?

Spamotron
2017-10-20, 03:42 PM
Complications are the kind of thing I like to work out in session 0 with the other players and GM so this is a mostly mechanical exercise for now. So if I understand correctly I can make an array of powers that are Alternate Effects of my Strength since that cost 26 Points I can have a power of the same cost for only 1 point provided it can be reasonably extrapolated that it can be done with strength and I can only use one strength ability at a time.

Dodge 7 Fortitude 13 Parry 7 Toughness 13 (Impervious 13 Points), Will 7 Initiative 7
Skills: Acrobatics 13 Athletics 7 Expertise 1 (Pro Wrestler) Insight 13 Perception 13 Ranged Attack 7 (Throwing) (27 Points)
Advantages: Chokehold (1 Point), Fast Grab (1 Point), Improved Grab (1 Point), Improved Hold (1 Point), Fearlessness (1 Point), Great Endurance (1 Point), (Most of the Advantages are self explanatory for a fit well trained wrestler. Fearlessness is in case I have to fight Dracula or the Wolf Man)
Powers: Earthquake Stomp (Blast 8, Area: Burst, Alternate Effect of Strength, 1 Point/24 Points), Leaping 7 (7 Points), Stunning Headbutt (Affliction 13, Resisted by Fortitude, Penetrating 13, Alternate Effect of Strength, 1 Point/26 Points), Throw Heavy Thing (Blast 13 Alternate Effect of Strength, 1 Point/26 Points)

Does this look more effective? Is Impervious Toughness worth it or are the points better spent on something else?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-21, 01:42 PM
Complications are the kind of thing I like to work out in session 0 with the other players and GM so this is a mostly mechanical exercise for now. So if I understand correctly I can make an array of powers that are Alternate Effects of my Strength since that cost 26 Points I can have a power of the same cost for only 1 point provided it can be reasonably extrapolated that it can be done with strength and I can only use one strength ability at a time.
Not quite-- you can have a Strength-based array, as per the Strength Power Profile, but it's based on the "built-in Damage" power, not your full Strength. So with Strength 13, you have 13 points to play with for alternate effects. So, looking at your alternate things, you could build them like...
Earthquake Stomp: Too expensive right now, but you could do "Close Burst Damage 13, Limited to Targets on the Ground."
Stunning Headbutt: Close Affliction 13
Throw Heavy Thing: This... probably isn't going to fit. But! You can already throw things with Strength and deal damage-- all you need to do is grab a few ranks of Ranged Combat (Throwing).

Spamotron
2017-10-22, 04:42 PM
Not quite-- you can have a Strength-based array, as per the Strength Power Profile, but it's based on the "built-in Damage" power, not your full Strength. So with Strength 13, you have 13 points to play with for alternate effects. So, looking at your alternate things, you could build them like...
Earthquake Stomp: Too expensive right now, but you could do "Close Burst Damage 13, Limited to Targets on the Ground."
Stunning Headbutt: Close Affliction 13
Throw Heavy Thing: This... probably isn't going to fit. But! You can already throw things with Strength and deal damage-- all you need to do is grab a few ranks of Ranged Combat (Throwing).

Does Affliction have to be specified as Close? I thought it was that by default.

As for Earthquake Stomp let me try to understand what you did. Take Blast 13 (26 Points) add Area Burst (39 Points) subtract the Limited Flaw: can only hit targets on the ground (26 Points) and subtract the Reduced Range Flaw (13 Points) for the final description of Earthquake Stomp (Damage 13, Close Burst, Limited to targets on the ground). That works.

As for Ranged Combat (Throwing) both previous versions of the character already have it.

For my final point to replace Throw Heavy Thing, how about increasing my mobility options by adding Speed 7 (Alternate Effect of Leaping) call the two effects together Mighty Legs or something.

So the current version would look like:

Abilities: Strength 13 (26 Points) Stamina 13 (26 Points) Dexterity 0 Agility 7 (14 Points) Fighting 7 (14 Points) Intellect 0 Awareness 7 (14 Points) Presence 0
Dodge 7 Fortitude 13 Parry 7 Toughness 13 (Impervious, 13 Points), Will 7 Initiative 7
Skills: Acrobatics 13 Athletics 7 Expertise 1 (Pro Wrestler) Insight 13 Perception 13 Ranged Combat 7 (Throwing) (27 Points)
Advantages: Chokehold (1 Point), Fast Grab (1 Point), Improved Grab (1 Point), Improved Hold (1 Point), Fearlessness (1 Point), Great Endurance (1 Point)
Powers: Earthquake Stomp (Damage 13, Close Burst, Limitation: Can only hit targets on the ground, Alternate Effect of Strength, 1 Point), Mighty Legs (Leaping 7, Alternate Effect Speed 7, 8 Points) Stunning Headbutt (Affliction 13, Resisted by Fortitude, Alternate Effect of Strength, 1 Point)

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-23, 12:46 PM
Does Affliction have to be specified as Close? I thought it was that by default.
Nah, I just wrote it that way for emphasis.

As for Earthquake Stomp let me try to understand what you did. Take Blast 13 (26 Points) add Area Burst (39 Points) subtract the Limited Flaw: can only hit targets on the ground (26 Points) and subtract the Reduced Range Flaw (13 Points) for the final description of Earthquake Stomp (Damage 13, Close Burst, Limited to targets on the ground). That works.
Yup. You also don't have to start with the "Blast" example power-- Damage is the base effect.

As for Ranged Combat (Throwing) both previous versions of the character already have it.
My bad. Then yeah, you're good-- you've already got a Ranged Damage 13 effect, functionally.

For my final point to replace Throw Heavy Thing, how about increasing my mobility options by adding Speed 7 (Alternate Effect of Leaping) call the two effects together Mighty Legs or something.
Sounds good!

So the current version would look like:
And looks good. Should be pretty dang effective in a fight.

Recherché
2017-11-10, 03:53 AM
Any good way to get skill in lockpicking or otherwise evading security systems without taking points in the technology skill? I want a character who's an effective thief but not exactly a tech genius.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-10, 07:43 AM
Any good way to get skill in lockpicking or otherwise evading security systems without taking points in the technology skill? I want a character who's an effective thief but not exactly a tech genius.
Enhanced Skill (Technology), Limited to lockpicking? Or you could ask your GM about using something like Expertise (Security) instead.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-11-10, 04:43 PM
Why not use superpowers? Who cares about cameras when you have Invisibility to machines? Insubstantial 4 means you laugh at locked doors.

Recherché
2017-11-10, 05:29 PM
Oh she's already invisible some of the time. That's just doesn't always help with breaking into safes stealthily

Greengold1313
2017-11-11, 02:48 PM
Hey I am trying to make a pl 8 private detective charecter. Could I post this build please?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-11, 03:11 PM
Hey I am trying to make a pl 8 private detective charecter. Could I post this build please?
Sure. You can also make a new thread, if you'd like. I know I click on everything that mentions M&M, and JustIgnoreMe and Beleriphon usually arrive pretty quickly too.

Beleriphon
2017-11-12, 09:22 AM
Sure. You can also make a new thread, if you'd like. I know I click on everything that mentions M&M, and JustIgnoreMe and Beleriphon usually arrive pretty quickly too.

Its my favourite system, so when I see it pop up I tend to replay ASAP, if only so I can see what somebody else thought of that I didn't.

Spamotron
2017-11-12, 11:36 PM
One thing nobody caught with my sample build is that apparently area attacks are limited to PL because there is no check to hit. So with Earthquake Stomp I need to reduce the damage ranks to 10. This frees up 3 points. I'm curious the Reach modifier says it applies to Close effects. Since Earthquake Stomp is a Close Burst can I add reach 3 to make it a 45 foot radius burst?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-13, 10:02 AM
One thing nobody caught with my sample build is that apparently area attacks are limited to PL because there is no check to hit. So with Earthquake Stomp I need to reduce the damage ranks to 10. This frees up 3 points. I'm curious the Reach modifier says it applies to Close effects. Since Earthquake Stomp is a Close Burst can I add reach 3 to make it a 45 foot radius burst?
Dammmit, you're right. My bad. I don't think Reach would work like you think, though. The "range" part of an Area effect determines where the origin point is; adding 3 ranks of Reach would mean you could place the 30ft burst anywhere within 15 feet of you.

Spamotron
2017-11-13, 11:53 AM
That would be a reasonably cool ability in its own right. The only problem is having the descriptor make sense since it's using superstrength to stomp the ground really hard.

Beleriphon
2017-11-13, 12:45 PM
That would be a reasonably cool ability in its own right. The only problem is having the descriptor make sense since it's using superstrength to stomp the ground really hard.

Nothing wrong with a rumbly line emanating for a character's foot and then exploding when it gets to a certain spot. That certainly has a comic book feel. If you can imagine Jack Kirby drawing it, then I figure it is 100% fair game.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-13, 01:03 PM
Just don't forget Immunity 1 (Own Powers), otherwise you'll be real sad.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-13, 04:08 PM

I mean, check with the GM if this is a given, in my experience it normally is (because getting hurt by your own powers is funny the first few times, and then the joke wears off and it becomes a point tax). Check for any other freebies as well, some give them.

Spamotron
2017-11-13, 09:39 PM

Well since its now more of a linear shockwave to help the reach make sense changing it from Burst to Line or Cone is pretty simple and no risk of the PC hitting himself.

Spamotron
2017-11-15, 12:15 PM
I have a question as to how Linked powers interact with other modifiers. Say I want to create a Disintegration Ray so I take Damage 10 and Link it to Weaken Toughness 10 when I add Ranged do I do it once for a total of 30 points or twice for a total of 40?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-15, 12:53 PM
I have a question as to how Linked powers interact with other modifiers. Say I want to create a Disintegration Ray so I take Damage 10 and Link it to Weaken Toughness 10 when I add Ranged do I do it once for a total of 30 points or twice for a total of 40?
The effects are purchased entirely separately; modifiers applied to one don't apply to others. You need to buy Ranged for both Damage and Toughness in your example; if you applied Limited to Objects to the Weaken Toughness part, it wouldn't affect the Damage at all.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-15, 01:52 PM

Twice I believe, each Effect has it's own Range. So it would be Ranged Damage 10 linked to Ranged Weaken Toughness 10, not Ranged (Damage 10 linked to Weaken Toughness 10).

I like Linked Effects a lot, I have a character I want to play at some point who absorbs and gives life force. He has Weaken Strength 8 linked to Weaken Stamina 8 as well as Regeneration, immortality, and Healing. He tanks his defences to compensate, it's terribly suboptimal but it can be a devestating debuffing build. But the problem is that they get expensive fast, this character spends over one hundred points on powers (he has a lot of regeneration and immortality at the 'comes back once a round' level) and has one offensive option (later on he diversifies a bit with one technological enhancements and alternate effects).

Actually, this brings up something I was wondering earlier, what happens when you raise your Immortality rank above 20? (there's no limit on doing so if I remember correctly.) You're now at the point where you're coming back more than once a combat round if required, has anybody actually had to run with this?

Spamotron
2017-11-15, 02:38 PM
I suspected that was the case for balance reasons the wording was just unclear to me.

Beleriphon
2017-11-16, 10:25 AM
Actually, this brings up something I was wondering earlier, what happens when you raise your Immortality rank above 20? (there's no limit on doing so if I remember correctly.) You're now at the point where you're coming back more than once a combat round if required, has anybody actually had to run with this?

I haven't dealt with it, but at the same time what's the point? I can't see a character dying more than once per round.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-16, 10:49 AM
I haven't dealt with it, but at the same time what's the point? I can't see a character dying more than once per round.

Ultimate meat shield. Get a reaction ability to move in front of enemy attacks, soak up several attacks per round by dying and coming back.

I never said there was a decent point (if you don't have any Reaction powers it's almost literally useless), it's just something I noticed and was wondering if anybody had dealt with it.

Spamotron
2017-11-17, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have any experience with an all Toughness defense build in actual play?

I have this idea for an ancient Stone Golem from a lost age of magic awakening in the modern day and seeking a purpose.

As a creature of heavy solid stone he has no agility to speak of but is incredibly difficult to hurt. Toughness 20 (Impervious) and Immunity (Life Support).

Edit: Here's what I have so far:

Stone Golem
Origin: Magical construct from a lost age Motivation: Acceptance Other Complications: Is a stone golem
PL 10
Abilities: Strength 13 Stamina 10 Dexterity 0 Agility 0 Fighting 0 Intellect 0 Awareness 10 Presence 0 Dodge 0 Toughness 10/20 (Impervious) Parry 0 Fortitude 10 Will 10 Initiative 0
Skills: Athletics 7, Close Combat (Unarmed) 7, Insight 10, Perception 10, Ranged Combat (Throwing) 7, Treatment 3
Advantages: Languages 2 (Ancient Sumerian, Ancient Etruscan, Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Hittite, Arabic, English, Chinese, Spanish)
Powers: Mystic Stone Body (Immunity: Life Support; Protection 10, Impervious Toughness 20), One With Stone (Permeate 3, Limited to Earth and Stone; Vision Penetrates Concealment, Limited to Earth and Stone; Teleport 9, Medium: Earth and Stone), Self-Repair (Regeneration 6, Source: Earth and Stone)

Abilities: 66
Skills: 22
Advantages: 2
Powers: 60

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-17, 06:19 PM
Does anyone have any experience with an all Toughness defense build in actual play?
I've got four words for you: "Damage, Alternate Resistance (Dodge)." Or heck, "Affliction, resisted and overcome by Dodge." I'm not a fan of builds that tradeoff that hard; regardless of actual effectiveness, you're kind of putting the DM in a position where they either target your weakness (and splatter you) or avoid it (and leave you practically unaffected).

Spamotron
2017-11-18, 10:16 AM
I've got four words for you: "Damage, Alternate Resistance (Dodge)." Or heck, "Affliction, resisted and overcome by Dodge." I'm not a fan of builds that tradeoff that hard; regardless of actual effectiveness, you're kind of putting the DM in a position where they either target your weakness (and splatter you) or avoid it (and leave you practically unaffected).

How is that much different then someone relying on a defensive power that makes them immune to most attacks like Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal)? Just like that the build is still subject to anything with Sensory effects or things afflictions that target Fortitude or Will instead of Toughness no weird Alternate Resistance Modifiers necessary.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-11-18, 11:26 AM
How is that much different then someone relying on a defensive power that makes them immune to most attacks like Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal)? Just like that the build is still subject to anything with Sensory effects or things afflictions that target Fortitude or Will instead of Toughness no weird Alternate Resistance Modifiers necessary.
You shouldn't normally be relying on Insubstantial 4 for your defences. It's cheesy (although I'll admit it's a good way of replicating Superman-level invulnerability: Insubstantial 4, limited with Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects).

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-11-18, 01:54 PM
Insubstantial 4, limited with Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects).

Somehow, I find this hilarious.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-11-18, 02:51 PM
Somehow, I find this hilarious.
Me too :) Bargain Basement Invulnerability (actually in M&M you need to spend a load of points having your abilities still work while you're Insubstantial, so it's not so cheap).

noob
2017-11-18, 03:04 PM
Me too :) Bargain Basement Invulnerability (actually in M&M you need to spend a load of points having your abilities still work while you're Insubstantial, so it's not so cheap).

I do not see why you would need loads of points to make your abilities keep working.
can you tell me which rules prevents using your superpowers normally(except for ones based on strength)

JustIgnoreMe
2017-11-18, 03:23 PM
I do not see why you would need loads of points to make your abilities keep working.
can you tell me which rules prevents using your superpowers normally(except for ones based on strength)
Do you not need to buy powers with "Affects Substantial" to affect the substantial while insubstantial, the same way you need to buy "Affects Insubstantial" to affect the insubstantial while substantial?

noob
2017-11-18, 03:35 PM
Do you not need to buy powers with "Affects Substantial" to affect the substantial while insubstantial, the same way you need to buy "Affects Insubstantial" to affect the insubstantial while substantial?

Where is it written?
I guess it is written somewhere but I would like to know where.
Ok found it: it is written in the affect insubstantial modifier and in the first paragraph of the rank 4
But for your superman like invulnerability I think that rank 3 insubstantial + immunity to energy would work better(since you would not have to pick a vulnerability to a common effect) but it would cost 35 power point which is kind of expensive.
15 more power points but you get to not need to add affect corporeal to all your powers.
So if you go above pl 15 it is saving points but below it is a waste.

Spamotron
2017-11-19, 04:44 PM
Tabling the Stone Golem for the time being I started work on another character. I love the concept of Dimensional Travelers and explorers. So I started to make one then realized that unless I misunderstand something I made a really broken character by accident and that the Dimensional modifier is seriously undercosted.

World Walker
PL 10
Abilities: Strength 0 Stamina 10 Dexterity 0 Agility 3 Fighting 3 Intellect 0 Awareness 10 Presence 0 Dodge 10 Toughness 10 Parry 10 Fortitude 10 Will 10 Initiative 11
Skills: Insight 10, Perception 10
Advantages: Improved Initiative 2, Jack of All Trades, Languages 5
Powers: Immortal Body (Immunity: Life Support, Immortality 1, Regeneration 2), Seeker's Eyes (Extended Vision 2, Darkvision, Dimensional 3; Immunity Visual Sensory Afflictions), World Walker (Dimensional Travel 3, Increased Mass 3, Alternate Effect: Teleport 3, Accurate), Twist Space (Damage 10, Ranged Burst, Dimensional 3)

Abilities: 66
Skills: 10
Advantages: 8
Powers: 66

The concept was that I would create a character that could see between, travel and attack across dimensions. At first I thought nothing of it because if it was an issue I figured the Dimensional modifier wouldn't be so cheap (1-3 flat points on any power) if there were any issues because of how expensive things like affects substantial are. Then I thought about what this character would do in combat. First Move action use Seeker's Eyes and World Walk to travel to an adjacent dimension that is free of hazards or threats, Standard Action Twist Space to nuke the bad guys. Unless they have the dimensional modifier on their own attacks or there are hidden dangers in the dimension I've chosen I'm completely untouchable the rest of the combat and all the bad guys can do to defend themselves is try to hide from my sight. The only change I made to the above build after I realized this was add the Immunity Visual Sensory Afflictions for 2 points (Immunity to All sensory afflictions cost 5 so I figured one sense should cost 2) to make the character impossible to hurt by the one thing that wouldn't need the Dimensional modifier to affect me.

So there goes I fun character concept I'll never be allowed to play except at maybe a one-shot for OP characters.

noob
2017-11-20, 06:05 AM
This builds is campaign specific.
You need to be in a campaign with multiple dimensions and to have a gm which is fine with you traveling across dimensions with ease.
Of course the gm probably says whenever he will allow dimensional travel in his campaign or not.
Dimensional travel is a powerful tool and so is time travel but both are stuff that depends heavily on setting.
Also even if there is multiple dimensions nothing says the other dimensions will be safe(example: there is three dimensions: the main dimension,heaven and hell. You probably do not want to go to hell and heavens is probably filled with angels that are angry at dimensional invaders so dimensional travel is not a way to get to a safe place but rather a way to adventure, meet dead people and try to beat up angels for fun)

Recherché
2017-12-12, 08:09 PM
Trying to figure out where to start on building a power/ritual in Mutants and Masterminds to diagnose what is wrong with a magical spirit and why it has amnesia. It seems like sense should probably be the base power but I'm not sure where to go after that.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-13, 12:17 PM
Trying to figure out where to start on building a power/ritual in Mutants and Masterminds to diagnose what is wrong with a magical spirit and why it has amnesia. It seems like sense should probably be the base power but I'm not sure where to go after that.
Senses 2 (Detect Afflictions, Analytical)?

Spamotron
2017-12-16, 12:45 AM
The way you create a Sense power is a little confusing to me so I'm walking through an example to see if I have it right. So the concept I that I have a powerful telekinetic and as part of his ability to control the movement of objects with his mind he has an innate sense for the position and motion of everything around him.

So to feel the position of objects and their movements around him is probably a Tactile sense which is by default already Accurate and Radius and I add Ranged to that and the Mental descriptor. I then add a couple ranks of extended to give it superior range. Ending up with Senses 3 for 3 points.

Any mistakes?

Grek
2017-12-16, 05:45 AM
Nope, looks about right to me.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-12-16, 07:57 AM
I seem to rememer perfect time sense and perfect distance sense are 1-pt features each, so 3 points for something that combines the two with a bit extra that doesn't rely on line-of-sight seems about right.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-16, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Ranged Touch is an amazing sense-power. You might want to throw Acute in there for an extra point, just so you can tell what you're sensing.

Spamotron
2017-12-16, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone. On a related note it's obvious that a Perception range Power and the Extended modifier on your senses can get really silly really fast. In practice what do you feel is the maximum number of ranks of Extended sense at PL 10 that feels fun and powerful but doesn't create too much of a headache for the GM?

Grek
2017-12-17, 07:25 AM
It depends very much on the campaign your running. For example: I was playing with a new GM, and decided to play a character who's whole gimmick sound control and super hearing. It was PL 10, so I bought 10 ranks of acute, accurate super hearing. At which point I could reliably listen to a whispered conversation on the moon. One of my teammates had the ability to teleport to anywhere they had a good description of. We were playing as villains. Our first crime was to have the mutant hyena on the team get teleported into a bank, rip the bank vault out of the wall and then get teleported back to our hideout, all over the course of 12 seconds. The heroes started introducing teleportation blocking technology soon after.

Beleriphon
2017-12-20, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone. On a related note it's obvious that a Perception range Power and the Extended modifier on your senses can get really silly really fast. In practice what do you feel is the maximum number of ranks of Extended sense at PL 10 that feels fun and powerful but doesn't create too much of a headache for the GM?

Four ranks gets you 10,000 times the distance. That's about the max you need, I mean realistically it means a character with extended vision gets a -1 per 100,000 feet. That so insane there isn't a reason nto go above that unless you want to have character with cosmological levels of senses. Want to see what's happening in Pluto without a telescope? You can do that in M&M pretty easily. IF I recall correctly DCA's official Superman stats have 3 ranks of extended vision and 4 on hearing.