PDA

View Full Version : Rate my character

Consensus
2017-09-20, 09:12 AM
I'm interested in seeing what gitp has to say about my new character
LN High Elf Battlemaster 3 (planning on going BM 5 then Mastermind rogue 3 then play it by ear)
STR 10
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 12
I picked dueling style as I'm going sword n board.
For maneuvers I selected Riposte, Commander's Strike, and Trip Attack
I'm intending to be a support-y fighter.

Also here's my backstory:
I never had the same aptitude for magic that my people innately possessed. I trained to fight, to serve my people and their interests. Yet, I found myself serving the practice of magic. That is what my people cared about. Not nation, not family, not even prosperity, if it was at the cost of their 'arcane secrets.' So I left the army, and started plying my trade elsewhere, to assist the honest citizens of the world.

nickl_2000
2017-09-20, 09:17 AM
A thought

If you go to level 6 BM, you will get an extra ASI/Feat. That's pretty significant for 1 level. That can give you inspiring leader or healer and really be able to help out the party

Consensus
2017-09-20, 09:28 AM
A thought
If you go to level 6 BM, you will get an extra ASI/Feat. That's pretty significant for 1 level. That can give you inspiring leader or healer and really be able to help out the party
I'm planning to go further into BM if that's what you're saying, i just don't know what order to go in after the three rogue levels. I can definitely see going BM5->Rogue1->BM6 in order to get expertise in athletics then shield master, although I didn't really think about inspiring leader... I'd switch my INT and CHA for that though. I don't think I'll be taking healer as the party will have a lore bard.

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-20, 09:45 AM
It's got a good beat, and you can dance to it.
I give it a 65.

Easy_Lee
2017-09-20, 09:55 AM
I too would prioritize BM 6 first. Extra attack is big, and so is shield master even without athletics expertise. Remember that at that level, expertise only adds +3 to your roll. Expertise makes a bigger difference at later levels.

Consensus
2017-09-20, 10:07 AM
It's got a good beat, and you can dance to it.
I give it a 65.
Thanks, thats the most artistically I've heard a character get talked about

I too would prioritize BM 6 first. Extra attack is big, and so is shield master even without athletics expertise. Remember that at that level, expertise only adds +3 to your roll. Expertise makes a bigger difference at later levels.
I think I'll do that, do you suggest I take +2 DEX for 4th level because that's what I was thinking

Mikal
2017-09-20, 10:14 AM
I'd drop Commander's Strike for Precision myself- turn those misses into hits for Sneak Attack love.

Consensus
2017-09-20, 10:44 AM
I'd drop Commander's Strike for Precision myself- turn those misses into hits for Sneak Attack love.
I don't think precision attack does this build too much good, since I'm not gonna GWM and I'll be getting sneak attack at level 7-8 at 1d6, I think it would be better to keep commander's strike to play the semi support role I'm looking for with the build.

Now that I think of it I may want to stay battle master until level 7 for the extra die, as well as taking martial adept at level 6 instead of shield master.

nickl_2000
2017-09-20, 10:51 AM
I think I'll do that, do you suggest I take +2 DEX for 4th level because that's what I was thinking

Yes +2 dex will increase you BM DCs by 1, increase your attack by 1, and increase your damage by one. That's pretty darn strong.

Easy_Lee
2017-09-20, 11:20 AM
Yes +2 dex will increase you BM DCs by 1, increase your attack by 1, and increase your damage by one. That's pretty darn strong.

Also AC if he wants to wear studded leather. Plus initiative and all Dexterity checks and saves. It's strong.

Alternatively, with how common dexterity saves are, resilient dexterity is good if you can start with an odd dexterity score.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-20, 01:08 PM
What cantrip did you choose?

High Elf
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice.

LN High Elf Battlemaster 3 (planning on going BM 5 then Mastermind rogue 3 then play it by ear)
STR 10
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 12
I picked dueling style as I'm going sword n board. For maneuvers I selected Riposte, Commander's Strike, and Trip Attack I'm intending to be a support-y fighter.

I never had the same aptitude for magic that my people innately possessed. I trained to fight, to serve my people and their interests. Yet, I found myself serving the practice of magic. That is what my people cared about. Not nation, not family, not even prosperity, if it was at the cost of their 'arcane secrets.' So I left the army, and started plying my trade elsewhere, to assist the honest citizens of the world.
There are plenty of utility cantrips that fit this character.

light
mending
dancing lights
mage hand

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-20, 01:10 PM

light
mending
spare the dying
druidcraft
guidance
resistance
dancing lights
mage hand
produce flame (yeah, it can be an attack as well)

struck out = not a wizard cantrip

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-20, 01:13 PM
struck out = not a wizard cantrip Yeah, oops. Fixed. I didn't include GFB as I don't have SCAG with me. I think it's a decent fit for this character ... but also see how it may not feel right for the back story in question.

Mikal
2017-09-20, 02:00 PM
I don't think precision attack does this build too much good, since I'm not gonna GWM and I'll be getting sneak attack at level 7-8 at 1d6, I think it would be better to keep commander's strike to play the semi support role I'm looking for with the build.

Now that I think of it I may want to stay battle master until level 7 for the extra die, as well as taking martial adept at level 6 instead of shield master.

I thought you were going to get more SA damage, apologies. Disregard then.

Consensus
2017-09-20, 03:03 PM

light
mending
dancing lights
mage hand

I picked Booming blade, in case a situation arises that I need to be more sticky

Consensus
2017-09-20, 03:04 PM
Yeah, oops. Fixed. I didn't include GFB as I don't have SCAG with me. I think it's a decent fit for this character ... but also see how it may not feel right for the back story in question.

I was planning on having my character's flaw be that he's hypocritical in that aspect, making an exception for the one bit of magic he did end up retaining.

Khobahi
2017-09-20, 04:27 PM
If you are going more Supporty I would take defense for the +1 AC over the 2 damage of dueling..