PDA

View Full Version : bag of holding + portable hole = black hole?

Volug
2007-08-13, 07:46 PM
just wondering if any1 has ever done it to get out of a sticky situation. so post your experiances here.

and can some one explain how does the black hole get there? i dont get it...

Drider
2007-08-13, 07:59 PM
and can some one explain how does the black hole get there? i dont get it...

well...it starts when a bag of holding a portable hole love each other...THAT'S how you get a black hole

Volug
2007-08-13, 08:07 PM
sicko..... fine i'll try to find it in the DMG or something...

Josh the Aspie
2007-08-13, 08:10 PM
It's not a black hole. It's trying to bring one warp in the fabric of the planes into another warp in the fabric of the planes. Doing so causes said fabric to warp so far it rips. You then have a chance of getting dumped into another plane.

Volug
2007-08-13, 08:20 PM
oh okay. that explains alot more then the last one..... and sounds more resonable

Zincorium
2007-08-13, 08:31 PM
I think the entire concept was just some frustrated DM getting ticked off at his players bugging him about storing multiple bags of holding/portable holes inside each other, and was just "Okay! Enough! New house rule, whenever you do any of those things, it explodes and kills you."

'Cause that's what the DM position was like, back in the day. You had near unlimited ability to rewrite the game rules, and the players couldn't say much because the rules had never said differently.

That said, I've always found it a bit retarded (no offense to the mentally challenged).

Josh the Aspie
2007-08-13, 08:32 PM
oh okay. that explains alot more then the last one..... and sounds more resonable

Take a look at the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole) for further details. I'm just glad that reality heals it's self.

Aquillion
2007-08-13, 09:13 PM
The truly stupid thing?

The rules were clearly written to prevent people from nesting bags and holes to get infinite storage space.

But, as written, they don't keep you from nesting portable holes inside of portable holes directly! Bah.

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-08-13, 09:22 PM
is it wrong to think of bugs bunny cartoons whenever i hear about the portable hole?

Jack Mann
2007-08-13, 09:31 PM
The truly stupid thing?

The rules were clearly written to prevent people from nesting bags and holes to get infinite storage space.

But, as written, they don't keep you from nesting portable holes inside of portable holes directly! Bah.

When they were written with that purpose in mind, they did.

That is not the purpose behind the rule anymore. It's not that big a deal if you do stack bags of holding, especially at the levels in which you can easily afford several.

The purpose behind the rule now is simple nostalgia for a time when any two dimensional disturbances put together cause a miniature Armageddon, without actually dragging us back into those dark ages when the rules made things unnecessarily difficult. The rule serves its purpose admirably well.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-08-13, 09:40 PM
It is essentially the ultimate weapon, though. In you put down a portable hole,run away, tie a bag of holding to a thorwing stick, and throw it into the hole whenever the thing you want to kill is within 10 feet.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-13, 11:33 PM
Ive always wanted to do that in a game, but i havent got around to it yet...

Wraithy
2007-08-14, 07:01 AM
Kobold trapsmiths you have a new one!

kamikasei
2007-08-14, 07:30 AM
It is essentially the ultimate weapon, though. In you put down a portable hole,run away, tie a bag of holding to a thorwing stick, and throw it into the hole whenever the thing you want to kill is within 10 feet.

22,500 to 30,000 gp just to suck someone into the Astral Plane (with no mention of damage being dealt)? There must be an easier way...

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-14, 07:36 AM
22,500 to 30,000 gp just to suck someone into the Astral Plane (with no mention of damage being dealt)? There must be an easier way...

the real question is: what happens when someone flips a bag of holding inside-out?

Ikkitosen
2007-08-14, 07:37 AM
Awesome trap though - a magic bag hanging by a thread over what looks like a pit. Heh heh :smallamused:

kamikasei
2007-08-14, 08:29 AM
Awesome trap though - a magic bag hanging by a thread over what looks like a pit. Heh heh :smallamused:

Somewhat oddly, the wording suggests that the "sucked to the Astral Plane" effect only occurs when the hole goes into the bag, not vice versa. Harder to pull off in a trap...

Ikkitosen
2007-08-14, 08:31 AM
Somewhat oddly, the wording suggests that the "sucked to the Astral Plane" effect only occurs when the hole goes into the bag, not vice versa. Harder to pull off in a trap...

Bugger......

Citizen Joe
2007-08-14, 08:32 AM
the real question is: what happens when someone flips a bag of holding inside-out?

I don't actually think you can. A bag of holding is like a mini gate to a micro-dimension. The opening of the bag is the opening to this micro-dimension. You can't grab the inside of the bag because its just dimensional fabric. You can't press the outside of the bag in, because it is basically always full of stuff. I suppose if you dispelled the bag, it would flop down flat and then you could turn it inside out. But when the dispel wears off, it couldn't reform the little gate to the micro-dimension. It would probably not allow itself to be re-inverted unless you re-dispel it. Worse yet, it may rupture when the dispel wears off. Generally speaking, don't abuse your toys or Mommy will take them away.

I think the portable hole works the same way, but larger and it is just the inside of a 'bag'.

I don't do the whole explosion/rift thing. I simply rule that you can't access an extradimensional space while inside another extradimensional space.

hippie_dwarf
2007-08-14, 08:40 AM

Thats ones been answered by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBzv1r6HvFo

To quote it "How did you get out of the Dungeon?"

"I turned my bag of holding inside out, wrapped it around myself and walked through the Dungeon wall"

"You can do that?"

"It's all in the dice"

Volug
2007-08-14, 08:56 AM
yah i've seen that.
luv that game and vid XD.

though that one is probably the biggest thing that DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!

turn a boag of houlding inside out droping everything in there tying it around yourself. and then walking through walls?!?!?!? ftw

Volug
2007-08-14, 08:59 AM
... how did i post twice on the same thing?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-14, 09:25 AM
Edit, delete post.

The idea with the inside-out bag of holding, which I discovered after some googling, is that the inside of the bag is some "Special material" which creates an extradimensional space. So, if the walls around go into an extradimensional space, and back out on the other side....

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-14, 09:35 AM
Heh. I can't remember if it was actually a written rule or not, but back in the AD&D 2nd edition days, it was accepted convention by just about everyone I ever played with that extradimensional space + extradimensonal space = huge force explosion decessitating buckets of d6s to be rolled. I've played in three separate campaigns under different DMs where some yahoo was desperate enough to stuff a bag of holding into a bag of holding while diving for the BBEG. It only worked twice.

Dervag
2007-08-14, 09:47 AM
I think the entire concept was just some frustrated DM getting ticked off at his players bugging him about storing multiple bags of holding/portable holes inside each other, and was just "Okay! Enough! New house rule, whenever you do any of those things, it explodes and kills you."

'Cause that's what the DM position was like, back in the day. You had near unlimited ability to rewrite the game rules, and the players couldn't say much because the rules had never said differently.My theory is similar. I think that it was an insanely thorough, meticulous, and rather sadistic DM who realized in advance that you could set up an infinite loop of encumbrance-free stuff to carry using portable holes and bags of holding, and rules that they'd blow each other up in advance.

In other words, Gary Gygax did it.

is it wrong to think of bugs bunny cartoons whenever i hear about the portable hole?No more so than it is to think of Thomas Edison whenever you hear about the light bulb.

22,500 to 30,000 gp just to suck someone into the Astral Plane (with no mention of damage being dealt)? There must be an easier way...There probably is, but if you happen to have a bag of holding and a portable hole handy, and if you don't find the things as immensely useful as an adventuring party would... it's a great way to dispose of a powerful enemy.

Edit, delete post.

The idea with the inside-out bag of holding, which I discovered after some googling, is that the inside of the bag is some "Special material" which creates an extradimensional space. So, if the walls around go into an extradimensional space, and back out on the other side....The only problem with the idea is that I'm not sure it works, and if it does work, I'm not sure if the universe will still be there when you emerge from the inside-out bag:

If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever.Now, logically, if the bag is turned inside out and if objects outside the inside-out bag can be pushed into an alternate dimension, then the weight 'loading' the bag is the weight that's been moved into an extradimensional space.

The universe weighs more than the weight limit of a bag of holding. Therefore, it overloads the bag, the bag ruptures and is ruined, and all contents (the rest of the universe) are lost forever.

Bad idea.

Fortunately, we have a reason to believe the bag doesn't work that way:

If a bag of holding is turned inside out, its contents spill out, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again.

This suggests that the bag simply does not function when it is inside out- that the bag's fabric can affect only a bounded region of space, and not an unbounded region. So if you turn the bag inside out, placing the 'active' side of the bag (the one that shifts stuff into another dimension) on the outside, it is now facing an unbounded space (the rest of the universe), which it is powerless to affect.

Otherwise the universe disappears whenever you turn the bag inside out, which is not listed as a possible consequence.

Aquillion
2007-08-14, 01:02 PM
How's this for a bag of holding trap if you want your players to beat you to death with sourcebooks:

A small alcove with a treasure chest in it. When the players walk into the alcove to get the treasure (carrying, of course, their bag of holding, like every adventurer)... Fwoop! The alcove was a Portable Hole. The bag and the hole are lost forever, along with everything inside.

Oh, what was that? The whole reason it went off is because you were inside the hole, with your bag of holding? Wow, that sucks, doesn't it? :smallbiggrin:

SilverClawShift
2007-08-14, 01:24 PM
I used the rule to escape a plane of infinite nothingness my bastard party abandonded me in. Thought I was a goner, until I realized I had an exit to the astral plane.

I wrote up the entire story somewhere here once...it's not a short one though.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-14, 01:32 PM
I didn't say the inside out bag of holding works NOW. I said that was the line of thought that led to it. Now, if you turn the bag inside out, it doesn't do anything.

Renx
2007-08-15, 02:55 AM
'Cause that's what the DM position was like, back in the day. You had near unlimited ability to rewrite the game rules, and the players couldn't say much because the rules had never said differently.

Exactly how has this changed over the years?

That said, I've always found it a bit retarded (no offense to the mentally challenged).

...why? It actually makes sense. You place an extradimensional container inside another extradimensional container ==> boom.

Personally, I never go with the RAW as it's poorly and hastily written. I like to go with the Garweeze Wurld type bags of holding.

Basically, there are two types: 1) The regular kind and 2) the kind that open to Bag World, an empty dimension that contains areas which connect to bags of holding, and an infinite amount of space between. You can travel between the Bag Zones as they're called and even loot them ;)

In any case, if you place an extradimensional container within an extradimensional container, one of the following happens: 1) If the item was placed within a type 1 BoH an extraplanar rift manifests and drags pretty much everything within 100' to the Astral/Ethereal Plane. 2) If the item was placed within a type 2 BoH, an explosion occurs and the Bag World shifts. Each and every type 2 BoH 'location' is randomly assigned to another Bag Zone. Depending on the item that was placed in the BoH the shifting can be huge or relatively contained.