PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A UA: Revised Ranger BM Hit-Points

synergy2
2017-09-20, 04:07 PM
Hey guys. I know there has been no official word on this yet seeing as how Unearthed Arcana isn't really considered 'real' D&D content in the form of a hardcover book, but I was wondering what your opinions were on the following paragraph from the Beast Master Revised Ranger path:

"For each level you gain after 3rd, your animal companion gains another hit die and increases its hit points accordingly."

Do you all think this means total Character Level, or only increases at Ranger levels?

For example, lets say the Ranger is multi-classed as 12 Ranger/8 Rogue. Would they gain a total of 17 bonus hit die for their pet (every level after third, up to 20) or would they only gain a bonus 9 hit die for their pet (every level after 3rd for Ranger, none for Rogue)?

Trampaige
2017-09-20, 04:27 PM
Do you all think this means total Character Level, or only increases at Ranger levels?

I can see an argument either way, but in the PHB for Warlocks, where invocations referred to level, it was errataed to be warlock level.

Classes are written from a single class perspective, as multiclassing (especially given UA material is designed for single class) is optional.

The only ability in the game that I can think of that scales by character level, not class level, is cantrips by design.

I see the argument that the beast quickly becomes a gnat if you're multiclassing, and that your beast should grow and gain power over time, but some classes just don't multiclass well. If you want a strong animal companion, take primarily ranger levels.

And legacy wise, animal companions in 3rd edition only leveled up if your ranger/druid/arcane hierophant/obscure class did, too.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-20, 04:52 PM
As I understand it, anything in a class entry that refers to level refers to class level. Cantrip scaling is found in the spell entry, so it's not class specific and must refer to character level. Thus, the BM pet scales on ranger levels.

alchahest
2017-09-20, 04:54 PM
At work so I can't check easily, but I think crawford or mearls answered this one already, unless I'm misremembering, it is meant to scale with Ranger level, not character level.

Potato_Priest
2017-09-20, 04:57 PM
I can see an argument either way, but in the PHB for Warlocks, where invocations referred to level, it was errataed to be warlock level.

Classes are written from a single class perspective, as multiclassing (especially given UA material is designed for single class) is optional.

The only ability in the game that I can think of that scales by character level, not class level, is cantrips by design.

I see the argument that the beast quickly becomes a gnat if you're multiclassing, and that your beast should grow and gain power over time, but some classes just don't multiclass well. If you want a strong animal companion, take primarily ranger levels.

And legacy wise, animal companions in 3rd edition only leveled up if your ranger/druid/arcane hierophant/obscure class did, too.

Apart from forgetting about proficiency bonus, this guy's got it down. If it's a class feature, it will pretty much always scale with your class level, not your character level.