PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility and attacking

dnd2016
2017-09-20, 04:45 PM
Let's say I'm 40-50 ft away from an enemy and I am invisible. If I attack from that distance with a spell or ranged weapon, does he then just get disadvantage to try and attack me or does he still have to try and guess my location?

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-20, 04:57 PM
Let's say I'm 40-50 ft away from an enemy and I am invisible. If I attack from that distance with a spell or ranged weapon, does he then just get disadvantage to try and attack me or does he still have to try and guess my location?

Attacking breaks invisibility. The spell ends for you whether you hit or miss. Thus, your get advantage on the attack, but the enemy can attack you back normally. Unless you had greater invisibility, in which case you're invisible but your location is known because attacking breaks hiding (unless you can hide as a bonus action and do so after attacking). If your location is known but you are invisible, they have disadvantage. Hidden (invisible or not) and they have to guess.

I will reserve judgement on which non-attack roll spells break invisibility (since that's a contentious topic).

Contrast
2017-09-20, 05:06 PM
...in which case you're invisible but your location is known because attacking breaks hiding...

I will reserve judgement ... since that's a contentious topic).

If you think that isn't contentious clearly you haven't seen the 17 page long thread :smallbiggrin: That said, I agree with what you said :smalltongue:

dnd2016
2017-09-20, 05:08 PM
Sorry, greater invisibility.Answer was clear either way

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-20, 05:09 PM
If you think that isn't contentious clearly you haven't seen the 17 page long thread :smallbiggrin: That said, I agree with what you said :smalltongue:

I think that attacking breaking hiding is agreed on. I was assuming that you were hidden going in-how you got there is irrelevant. What counts as an attack got a long thread too--I'm restricting myself to things we all agree are attacks--things involving an attack roll. But yes, sometimes everything can be contentious.

Malifice
2017-09-20, 09:50 PM

Presuming you have greater invisibility (and attacking doesnt break invisibility), then generally; yes he can now attack you with disadvantage. On his turn he gets to attack you back (at disadvantage) snapping off a shot or racing towards where the 'twang' of your bow was heard, and in the direction of where the arrow came from.

On your next turn, you can (presuming you're still invisible) take the Hide action. If succesful, he now again needs to guess your square (or take the Search action to find you).

If you have at least 2 levels of Rogue (and greater invisiblity running) you can Attack, then Hide as a bonus action, all before he gets an action. You can do this every round.

Then he's laregely screwed. He'll have to guess your location if you succesfully use the Hide action.

lperkins2
2017-09-21, 12:49 AM

When you attack, you give away your position, even if you stay invisible (magic item, Greater Invisibility), unless you have the Skulker feat. With the Skulker feat, you only give away your position if you hit your target. What happens then is DM and circumstance dependent. If you don't move, and don't take the Hide action, baring unusual circumstances, just about every DM will let your target know your location well enough to attack with disadvantage. It's if you move that the DM variance will arise. At 40 feet, if it is noisy, your target may not be able to hear you. If the terrain is such that you aren't moving branches, and either the ground is hard packed, or it is dim enough that your footprints can't be seen at 40', moving might be enough to leave them guessing at your location. It is entirely up to the DM's discretion, unless you take the Hide action. Even then, if you're fighting in deep snow, the odds are good that your opponent will be able to track your position trivially easily. Also, note that this does not mean you get to again surprise your target (assuming you started combat invisible), they know you are around, and will likely Ready Action against you again giving your position away. If there is a group, they are likely to start Searching the area for you, with a few ranged units waiting for any sign of you.