PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build Optimization/Advice - Monk/Stalker

draco2489
2017-09-21, 02:30 PM
So I'm still pretty new to this, and wanted to run some ideas out for public review.

My build is going to be
Unchained Monk 4/Stalker 16
Race : Tengu

Party Role : Striker
Combining the Monks High base Unarmed Strike damage with the Stalkers abilities/maneuvers that grant stackable bonus damage.
Add on top of this, the Unchained Monk gets Ki Flurry at level 3 to buy extra attacks, or a potential TWF build.

Attributes Lvl 1:
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 17
Cha 10

Since both Stalker features/abilities/maneuvers and Unchained Monk features key off of Wisdom, I was planning on putting every attribute point there as I get them.
Both classes have access to Ki Pool class feature, with Ki Points equal to 1/2 Level + WIS, netting a base total of 16 Ki points at Lvl 20 (after my Wisdom is 22).

1st : Would it make more sense to try and build TWF as a parallel to the Ki Flurry feature, to preserve some Ki points for myself,
instead of having only Ki Flurry as my means of extra attacks?

As it stands I don't know that my Ki will really get any higher than 25 per day at max, and for most of the Mid-High Levels I'm anticipating only 10-15 Ki points per day, and I would rather not be stuck in a position where I burn through my pool in the first 2-3 encounters of a day just defeating enemies.
Investing in the full TWF feat tree would also require additional DEX investment, at the cost of WIS.

2nd : At Lvl 4, Unchained Monk gets one Ki Power; Possible good options include:
Qinggong Monk Power : Deny Death (Passive, Ki points >0) - I'm on the front lines and not necessarily High AC
Qinggong Monk Power : True Strike (1 Ki point) - Who doesn't like to hit things?
Qinggong Monk Power : Barkskin (1 Ki point) - AC boost seems nice
Monk Power : Ki Metabolism (Passive) - Reduce Ki pool recovery from 8 Hrs to 2 Hrs

Maybe there are others I'm overlooking?
Not really sure which one of those would be the most beneficial, but I know I only get 1 choice...

3rd : At high Level, without TWF feats, what sort of feats seem most beneficial?
Current feats planned:

Level 1: Weapon Finesse, Monk Bonus Feat - Dodge, Monk Class Feat - Improved Unarmed Strike, Monk Class Feat - Stunning Fist
Level 2: Monk Bonus Feat - Deflect Arrows
Level 3: Deadly Agility
Level 5: Tengu Wings // Two Weapon Fighting
Level 7: Greater Unarmed Strike --> Unarmed Strike damage becomes 1d10
Level 9: Serene Stride // Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Level 11: Monastic Legacy --> allows Unarmed Strike damage to keep improving up to [Lvl 12 : 2d6 / Lvl 20 : 2d8]
Level 13: Extra Ki
Level 15: Extra Stalker Art // Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Level 17: Extra Ki
Level 19: Extra Ki

And it just starts to feel kind of uninspired..

Granted there is also a whole world of Enchanted and Magical Equipment that I know oh so very little about.
+ Dex Gear
+ Wis Gear
+ AC Gear
Permanency + Magic Fang / Greater Magic Fang
Ring of Ki Mastery
Ring of Sustenance (same effect as Ki Metabolism power)

any other thoughts? pitfalls? concerns?

Is there any way to improve the Critical Multiplier on Unarmed Strikes, from x2 to x3?

exelsisxax
2017-09-21, 02:41 PM
Big problem: you cannot combine TWF and flurry. Each is a specific variant of the full-attack action, and are therefore incompatible. You need to choose one or the other, though flurry lets you 'fake' TWF anyway, so it's mostly a save on feats. You won't be making GTWF-level full-attacks though. Which one you decide on using will have a major impact on the rest of the build, though.

Kurald Galain
2017-09-21, 02:48 PM
Right. The problem with ki powers is that those that duplicate spells require a standard action to activate, meaning again that you can't combine them with flurry. Barkskin is still a good choice; true strike is basically not (an extra round of attacks generally beats a +20 to hit); and deny death probably won't get you back up when you drop (so it's better to prevent yourself from dropping, and/or bring a cleric along). Ki metabolism is mostly a fluff ability.

So out of these four, barkskin is hands-down the best. HTH.

Oh, and if you can, take an archetype that gives you better feat options than dodge and stunning fist.

draco2489
2017-09-21, 02:52 PM
Big problem: you cannot combine TWF and flurry. Each is a specific variant of the full-attack action, and are therefore incompatible. You need to choose one or the other, though flurry lets you 'fake' TWF anyway, so it's mostly a save on feats. You won't be making GTWF-level full-attacks though. Which one you decide on using will have a major impact on the rest of the build, though.

I realize they are not compatible.

The question was more, should I build in the versatility to use either one whenever I want and save myself having to use ki points for extra attacks?
or should I forgo TWF feat tree and rely only on my Ki pool to provide additional (beyond iterative +1 (Flurry)) attacks?
and with the Build of Unchained Monk 4 (Full BAB) / Stalker 16 (3/4 BAB), Level 20 BAB is +16, unlocking (Main + 3 iteratives), and enabling GTWF Full Attack of 7 attack actions.

Dekion
2017-09-21, 02:53 PM
And in case you wish to debate the Two-Weapon Fighting rebuttal that was provided, while the Unchained Monk doesn't emulate Two-Weapon Fighting like the standard Monk does, exelsisxax is correct, you still cannot gain additional attacks by using multiple weapons as an Unchained Monk, it's in the description under Flurry of Blows.

I would suggest to steer clear of Two-Weapon Fighting altogether, it would only hinder you.

exelsisxax
2017-09-21, 03:03 PM
I realize they are not compatible.

The question was more, should I build in the versatility to use either one whenever I want and save myself having to use ki points for extra attacks?
or should I forgo TWF feat tree and rely only on my Ki pool to provide additional (beyond iterative +1 (Flurry)) attacks?
and with the Build of Unchained Monk 4 (Full BAB) / Stalker 16 (3/4 BAB), Level 20 BAB is +16, unlocking (Main + 3 iteratives), and enabling GTWF Full Attack of 7 attack actions.

What versatility? You get pidgeonholed into using a pair of light weapons with the monk property and lose 3 feats. There is no benefit to having both. Any time you could use one, you could just use the other.

Flurry gives a free bonus attack at level 1. The ki bonus is a SECOND bonus attack, not the only bonus attack you get. You do not appear to realize that.

So yes, if you are set on having monk levels you should certainly drop TWF.

draco2489
2017-09-21, 03:14 PM
I would suggest to steer clear of Two-Weapon Fighting altogether, it would only hinder you.

So yes, if you are set on having monk levels you should certainly drop TWF.

Ah, Yes, Thank You, I had misunderstood before, and this ^^was what I wanted a second opinion on.

Right. The problem with ki powers is that those that duplicate spells require a standard action to activate, meaning again that you can't combine them with flurry. Barkskin is still a good choice; true strike is basically not (an extra round of attacks generally beats a +20 to hit); and deny death probably won't get you back up when you drop (so it's better to prevent yourself from dropping, and/or bring a cleric along). Ki metabolism is mostly a fluff ability.

So out of these four, barkskin is hands-down the best. HTH.

Oh, and if you can, take an archetype that gives you better feat options than dodge and stunning fist.

Thanks here as well. It's too late to change Archetype as I'm currently Level 2, but the other advice is appreciated.