PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Voidmage Base Class (Arcane Spellcaster)

Plaguemask
2017-09-21, 02:36 PM
Voidmages are a mix of Sorcerer, Warlock from 3.5, Wizard and Magus.
This class Is specifically made for very powerful spellcasters. Not nessecarily aiming for T1 or T2 but to be very good at what they do, with some versatility on the side.

HD: D8
As a Spellcaster, there'll be some 'dead' levels where all you get Is perhaps a bonus feat or spell levels.

The Voidmage's class skills are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Voidmages are proficient in Simple Weapons, Light Weapons and one Martial Weapon of their Choosing.
Voidmages are proficient in no armor at level 1, Light Armor at level 2, Medium Armor at level 6 and Heavy Armor at level 10.

Like a Sorcerer, the Voidmage uses Charisma as his primary casting stat.

4+ Int ranks/Level.

Level
BAB
Fort
Reflex
Will
Specials

+1
+2
+0
+2
Void Pool, Cantrips, Void Combat, Void Blast 1D6, Eschew Materials.

+1
+3
+0
+3
Voidstrike, Light Arcane Armor

+2
+3
+1
+3
Void Blast 2D6,

+3
+4
+1
+4
Bonus Feat.

+3
+4
+1
+4
Void Blast 3D6,

+4
+5
+2
+5
Medium Arcane Armor.

+5
+5
+2
+5
Void Blast 4D6,

+6/+1
+6
+2
+6
Bonus Feat.

+6/+1
+6
+3
+6
Void Blast 5D6,

+7/+2
+7
+3
+7
Heavy Arcane Armor.

+8/+3
+7
+3
+7
Void Blast 6D6,

+9/+4
+8
+4
+8
Bonus Feat.

+9/+4
+8
+4
+8
Void Blast 7D6,

+10/+5
+9
+4
+9
Mage Eye.

+11/+6/+1
+9
+5
+9
Void Blast 8D6,

+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10
Bonus Feat.

+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10
Void Blast 9D6,

+13/+8/+3
+11
+6
+11
Voidsense.

+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+11
Void Blast 10D6,

+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+12
Bonus Feat, Master of the Void.

Void Pool (SL)

At 1st level, the Voidmage gains a reservoir of mystical arcane energy that he can draw upon to fuel his powers and enhance his weapon. This arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/2 his Voidmage level (minimum 1) + his Intelligence modifier. The pool refreshes once per day when the Voidmage prepares his spells.

At 1st level, a Voidmage can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves.

At 5th level, these bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal.

Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property’s base price modifier. These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the arcane pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the Voidmage uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the weapon is wielded by anyone other than the Voidmage.

A Voidmage can only enhance one weapon in this way at one time. If he uses this ability again, the first use immediately ends.

Void Combat, At 1st level, a Voidmage learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the Voidmage must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the Voidmage spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. A Voidmage can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.

Void Blast, [SL] Is a ranged-touch attack that deals 1D6 of Force damage, increasing by an additional 1D6 every two levels. Void Blast counts as a First Level Spell for the purposes of Metamagic feats.

A Voidmage gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat on first level.

A Voidmage gains access to the Magus, Sorcerer and Wizard spell list.

2:
Voidstrike (SU) At 2nd level, whenever a Voidmage casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the Voidmage spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a Voidmage can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the Voidmage makes this attack in concert with spell combat, this melee attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat melee attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.

Light Arcane Armor. When wearing enchanted Light armor, the Voidmage does not incur spell-failure chances.

6:
Medium Arcane Armor. When wearing Enchanted Medium Armor, the Voidmage does not incur spell-failure chances.

10:
Heavy Arcane Armor. When wearing enchanted Heavy Armor, the Voidmage does not incur spell-failure chances.

14:
As a Free Action, the Voidmage may choose to immediatly identify any spell being cast that he can see, limited to 5 Per Day + Charisma Modifier.

18:
The Voidmage permanently becomes under the effect of Voidsense, making him immune to Precision Based Damage and Critical Hits as well as fortitude-based effects as the voidmage has transcended and Is primarily at this point made out of the Void Itself.

20:
Master of the Void. Once Per Hour, as a full-round action, the Voidmage may choose to call upon the powers of the Void, turning 100 Squares around him, with the Voidmage in the center. (+10 Per Caster Level) into Void. Any hostile creature that fails a will-save Is subjected to the Horrors of the Void and Is considered comatose and takes 10D10 of Damage every round.
The save for this Is 10+Half Caster Level +Charisma Modifier. The Master of the Void Effect can not be resisted through supernatural, magical or any such means

Spell Progression, as sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/)
Otherwise, see:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/9umZr8AcRSS0LWClgAEfeQ.png
https://image.prntscr.com/image/9AV5xOJYTl6CCUiVMUoZtw.png
You replace 1 sorcerer spell, with 1 Wizard spell slot.
So in short, you have, on 20th level:
8+1 0 Level Spells.
4+1 First level spells.
4+1 Second level spells.
3+1 Third level spells.
3+1 Fourth level spells.
3+1 Fifth level spells.
2+1 Sixth level spells.
2+1 Seventh level Spells.
2+1 Eigth level Spells.
2+1 Ninth level Spells.
Imagine these as 'Flexible Spell Slots'.

The +1 Spells Known are prepared and are known just like a normal wizard spell, which requires a spellbook.
The sorcerer spells function like sorcerer spells.

mczoldong
2017-09-21, 02:49 PM
fake gay stolen op does nothing other than just take abilities from other classes with different name literally way better magus

Plaguemask
2017-09-21, 02:51 PM
fake gay stolen op does nothing other than just take abilities from other classes with different name literally way better magus
:o woke

aimlessPolymath
2017-09-21, 04:23 PM
That guy aside, this seems like a pretty huge upgrade over the Magus. And over the Sorcerer.

I don't have a strong feeling for the class identity, either- this looks to me a lot like an Arcanist who traded out exploits for combat skill+Magus features?

Plaguemask
2017-09-21, 05:10 PM
That guy aside, this seems like a pretty huge upgrade over the Magus. And over the Sorcerer.

I don't have a strong feeling for the class identity, either- this looks to me a lot like an Arcanist who traded out exploits for combat skill+Magus features?

Well, when making a spellsword, you have 2 choices;
Either suck at both of their jobs
or be OP on both of their jobs.

aimlessPolymath
2017-09-21, 07:29 PM
I suppose? That seems like a philosophical difference between us- I was pretty happy with the Magus at T3.

Anyway, more specific criticisms/questions:
Free-action spell identification is not a particularly useful ability for this class at the level you get it, given that by then you should be rocking a +17 Spellcraft check at minimum.

Proficiencies seem extremely strange(why only one martial weapon? It's not game-breaking to have all of them) , as does the progression of armor proficiencies(which encourages swapping out your armor at specific levels which may not synch up with the campaign)

The existence of Void Blast confuses me. Ordinarily, such features would act as a "backup weapon" for casters in place of spells, but weapon use fills that role perfectly well for this class.

Is this an Int or a Charisma class, casting-wise?

I would suggest making it a pure spontaneous or a pure prepared caster- I don't see any design benefits to having both in one class vs. just going full Arcanist spellcasting. (Incidentally, this class is T1)

The capstone feature should reference a radius rather than number of squares.

ElFi
2017-09-22, 08:11 AM
This class is... bizarre, to me. For a lot of reasons. Now for actual design critiques:

The chassis is basically a stronger Magus with some Sorcerer abilities tacked on to fill space. This was apparently one of your design goals, but I'm not positive it was a good one. Most class-makers will tell you that it's bad form to make a class that's flatly better than one of the ones that already exists (hence why the Arcanist and Summoner tend to be so polarizing with the fanbase), and here you've managed to make a class that's better than two of the classes that already exist. I'm not positive, mechanically, how magus combat combined with limited preparatory casting stacks up with a Sorcerer's bloodline powers, but it's at least an even trade along with better armor and combat skill.

The force blast class feature feels like a lazy method of filling space to me. This is a casting-focused gish, not a blaster. And getting access to scaling force damage at 1st level, force being the damage type the devs try hard to restrict due to how powerful it is, also strikes me as odd. And it's at-will? On a class that already gets full casting and a medium BAB? Way too powerful, in my opinion.

Despite the title of "Voidmage", nothing about this class except the capstone (which is really just a flavorful save-or-die) strikes me as particularly Void-themed. When I think "Void", I think tearing holes in space, warping reality, and summoning abominations beyond mortal ken. When this class says "Voidmage", it's basically just a Sorcerer with a pointy stick and better armor.

In terms of making a better gish that's "OP on both their jobs" as you've worded it, that feels pretty unnecessary and also sort of untrue. Warpriest, Inquisitor, Magus, and Skald are just four examples of Paizo-canon classes that do a very good job of combining spellcasting and sword fighting without being bad at either.

TL;DR, if you wanted to make a strong gish class, you succeeded and then went waaaaay over the bar. And despite the name, nothing about this class screams "Void", despite the word popping up so many times a blind person wouldn't miss it.