PDA

View Full Version : Quick Math Help

Doc_Pippin1
2017-09-21, 04:30 PM
So while making some rival adventurers for my party I made a mounted warrior, when calculating speed I hit a snag with bonuses and multipliers, the quick and not so easy of my question is how do you calculate something like this? So far what I have is
The mounts base speed + the quick trait + racial bonuses + a racial multiplier + the rider's class based speed bonuses + feats that modify speed + magic item bonuses + magic item multipliers do you add all the static numbers together and then multiply it by the modified d&d style multiplication (x2 + X2 = x3) or do you multiply the base speed then add all static bonuses, or would the chronological order take effect multiplying all the bonuses at the levels they were gained possibly causing multiplications of multiplications?

mattie_p
2017-09-21, 05:22 PM
It deals with a real world world numbers, so you do real world math.

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).

Generally that means multiplication before addition. But feel free to share all of the bonuses and their sources as I suspect that some of them will not stack, but I could be wrong.

Doc_Pippin1
2017-09-21, 06:00 PM
It deals with a real world world numbers, so you do real world math.

Generally that means multiplication before addition. But feel free to share all of the bonuses and their sources as I suspect that some of them will not stack, but I could be wrong.

So Valenar Horse with a speed of 90
Quick trait +10
Racer archtype +10
Pathfinder Quickling Template x4 speed
Pathfinder Alacritous Template x2 speed

Fleet feat
Dash Feat
Speed of thought feat
Paladin speed bonus
Wild plains outrider speed bonus
Horseshoes of the peerless steed x2 multiplier
Rapid Wrath spear x2 speed when carried not when wielded or held
Scimitar of the Siccoro x2 mount speed when wielded by the rider
Horned Helm x2 speed

I'm sure I've missed some as I'm away from my notes and books but you get the idea, and most of the bonuses are unnamed or different bonus types

These players irked an elf king so he has passive aggressively sent other adventurers to mess with them and one of the culprits is a wicked fast rider who is stealing their bounties or claiming credit and reward before they get a chance

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-21, 06:15 PM
calculate things inherent to the horse first. Including feats that speak of seemingly inherited speed bonus. Then feats that represent training or supernatural development. Then items and class features. Try to be reasonably chronological.

The other option is to simply multiply the base speed everything with a multiple, then add. Granting you the most conservative speed. so 90X4X2X2X2X2X2: 11,520 feet per round on a single move action before you even add the additive feats and class abilities.

This guy might moving over 2 miles per round...I hope that your spot check is good or you have some clairvoyance or something... That's 21 miles per minute, 1309 miles per hour. 762 mph is what is necessary to break the sound barrier.

That horse is worth a fortune on the overland travel market. Rich people would pay a lot of money for delivery of goods that take that little time.

Doc_Pippin1
2017-09-21, 06:21 PM
calculate things inherent to the horse first. Including feats that speak of seemingly inherited speed bonus. Then feats that represent training or supernatural development. Then items and class features. Try to be reasonably chronological.

The other option is to simply multiply the base speed everything with a multiple, then add. Granting you the most conservative speed. so 90X4X2X2X2X2X2: 11,520 feet per round on a single move action before you even add the additive feats and class abilities.

This guy might moving over 2 miles per round...I hope that your spot check is good or you have some clairvoyance or something...

That's helpful thanks, also forgot Run so its more like 10 miles a round, which is good since his name is Mach and he can travel faster than sound

He is trying to coax them into teleporting to beat him, because of a redirect followed by an ambush, he is just abstract bait

He also allows for the most insane of hit and run annoyance tactics, but he doesn't have all that much in damage so it's more just trying to catch him

And I think at these speeds he might need to steer with knowledge geography checks