PDA

View Full Version : No one expects the Inquisition (Base Class)

Ing
2007-08-13, 09:59 PM
Character Classes
Inquisitor

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9096/humaninquisitor21a1544uv6.jpg
Alignment: Lawful.
Hit Die: d10.
Class Skills
The Inquisitor’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha) Knowledge (Arcane/ religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis)and spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Inquisitors are the bane of spell casters and all magical life. According to lore they are zealots who believe firmly in the nature and sacredness of their Law but either lacked the moral fortitude or for some other reason were not called as Paladins. Inquisitors are humorless stone faced hunters of those they feel violate the natural order or secular law. Governments and socities that favor a tight control on magic in the populace will surely find ample use for an Inquisitor's talents. Most Inquisitors find themselves unable to cordially work with spell casters such as Wizards, Sorcerers, Bards, Paladins, Druids, etc, However, some who fight for a crusade or cause or consider themselves demon hunters will often happily ally themselves with Divine spell casters, whom they view as comrades.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8364/inquisitoruk3.jpg

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Inquisitor.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Inquisitors are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Aether Blows (Sp): Starting at level 4 The Inquisitor’s aura empowers her melee attacks with a constant source of magical feedback. The Inquisitor’s disrupting blows are not effected by AC points that come from magical means (Either from items, natural auras or buff spells). Furthermore the Inquisitor’s strikes ignore up to 1 pt of magical damage reduction per 5 Inquisitor levels (capping at 5 at level 20). All damage reduction that is either magical in nature or can be bypassed by magic is effectively reduced when struck by the Inquisitor’s attacks.

Antimagic Field (Su): Starting at level 17 the Inquisitor can summon up an anti-magic field as the spell once per day.

Aura of Law (Ex): The power of a Inquisitor’s aura of Lawfulness (see the detect good spell) is equal to her Inquisitor level.

Break Enchantment (Sp): The Inquisitor can use break enchantment as the spell as a supernatural ability. The Inquisitor uses her Cha modifier for determining DC

Close the Gap (Sp): When a nearby spell caster attempts to cast a spell or supernatural ability an INquisitor as a readied action can attempt to syphon off the gathering magics and use them to teleport in a puff of dust and smoke towards the Caster. The Inquisitor makes a counterspell check against the spell, if they succeed they teleport 10 feet +10Xspell level +an additional 5 feet for every 2 Inquisitor levels, in a straight line towards the spell caster. If this would place them inside a solid object or in an unoccupiable square the Inquisitor instead appears in the nearest occupieable location. If there are two occupieable locations of equal distance the Inquisitor always appears in the area closer to the caster, or on the same side of a barrier as the caster.

Detect Magic(Sp): At will, a Inquisitor can detect Magic, creatures that exert spells or supernatural abilities, creatures that are inheriently magical or animated by magic (Fey, Elementals, Constructs, Undead, Magical Beast, Dragon) or spell casters.

Dispel Chaos (Su): The Inquisitor can use Dispel Chaos as the spell as a supernatural ability. The Inquisitor uses her Cha modifier for determining DC

Disrupting strike (Su): Once per day, a Inquisitor may attempt to strike a creation with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Inquisitor level. . If that creature is under the influence of a spell, spell like effect or is inherently magical in nature (Such as being animated by magic like an undead, or naturally magic like a fey) the additional damage from the attack is doubled. The creature must make a will save equal to 10+Inquisitor level. If the creature fails they are unable to use magic or supernatural abilities for 1d6 rounds. If the Inquisitor accidentally smites a creature that is not under the protection or influence of a spell or non-magical, the strike has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the Inquisitor may Disrupt strike one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: The Inquisitor, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.

Dispel Magic (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a Inquisitor with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can cast Dispel Magic by touch. Each day she can cast the effect a number of times equal to Inquisitor level/2 (rounded down) maximizing at 10 per day at level 20.

Enervation Strike(Su): Beginning at level 8 an Inquisitor can channel disruptive negative energy into their melee attacks. If hit the target is effected as the Enervation spell as if cast by a sorcerer of equivalent level. Enervation strikes are effected by the Aether blows ability.

Mettle [Su]: An Inquisitor's aura of stabilizing energy gives them high resistance to magical effects. On will and fortitude checks against spells, supernatural abilities, the Inquisitor ignores all effects on a successful save and takes only half effects on a failed save. This functions as the Hexblade mettle ability.

Stoicism (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a Inquisitor is immune to effects that alter emotions (Magical or otherwise).

Spell resistance (Ex): At 3rd level, a Inquisitor gains Spell resistance equal to 11+Inquisitor HD+Cha modifier

Ex-Inquisitors: An inquisitor who cross classes to a spellcaster class or a class that uses supernatural abilities (Monk, Bard, Ranger, Psion) loose their Class features. The soul exception are Lawful Good Inquisitors who have proven their dedication to a cause or deity and may find themselves called as Paladins. It should be noted however, that depending on the order or society the inquisitors belongs to, such an event might be considered shameful and result in excommunication from the order. Certain religious orders of INquisitors may also permit cross classing to Cleric. An Inquisitor can cross class to Ranger but are unable to utalize the Ranger's spelllist

Paragon Badger
2007-08-13, 10:02 PM
Ack! Put a spoiler tag on that image.. >_>

Edit:

An actual mage killer, huh? Interesting... Although the BAB is a bit powerful, powerful enough to match Fighters and Barbarians in toe to toe combat. Perhaps reduce it to the Cleric or the Paladin's progression, so while the Inquisitor can still wipe the floor with mages who aren't careful enough to avoid melee with him- the Inquisitor still can't match an equal level fighter without some trickiness.

Ing
2007-08-13, 10:05 PM

Done, what do you think of the class?

Xefas
2007-08-13, 10:07 PM
I'll have to think for a bit longer on the class to judge any balance issues, but I can say right now that I think Mettle and a hypothetical Improved Mettle (as the Hexblade ability) would fit the class a lot more than Evasion and Improved Evasion.

Ing
2007-08-13, 10:09 PM
I'll have to think for a bit longer on the class to judge any balance issues, but I can say right now that I think Mettle and a hypothetical Improved Mettle (as the Hexblade ability) would fit the class a lot more than Evasion and Improved Evasion.

Not familiar with the hexblade. What's Mettle do?

bingo_bob
2007-08-13, 10:12 PM
It's like Evasion but for Fort/Will.

I think that a Dimension Door-like ability would really help, even if it's really short range. Being able to hop that last little distance to the enemy mage without going through bunches of angry minions first would really help. As it is, it's too easy to block him from getting to his target.

Ing
2007-08-13, 10:23 PM

Edit:

An actual mage killer, huh? Interesting... Although the BAB is a bit powerful, powerful enough to match Fighters and Barbarians in toe to toe combat. Perhaps reduce it to the Cleric or the Paladin's progression, so while the Inquisitor can still wipe the floor with mages who aren't careful enough to avoid melee with him- the Inquisitor still can't match an equal level fighter without some trickiness.

The Inquisitor does use the Paladin's progression.

The lack of spells, additional feats and having to invest needed ability points in CHA should give them more than enough trouble against non-mages.

Ing
2007-08-13, 10:28 PM
It's like Evasion but for Fort/Will.

I think that a Dimension Door-like ability would really help, even if it's really short range. Being able to hop that last little distance to the enemy mage without going through bunches of angry minions first would really help. As it is, it's too easy to block him from getting to his target.

Hmmm. The only problem I have with the Dimension Door is just the flavor of having someone very anti-magic using such an ability. Perhaps an ability that lets them just sport over to someone as they use a spell but otherwise can't use it?

For example the Inquisitor holds her action, a mage attempts to cast a spell, the Inquisitor hijacks the magics to teleport themselves to the caster?

jindra34
2007-08-13, 10:30 PM
Hmmm. The only problem I have with the Dimension Door is just the flavor of having someone very anti-magic using such an ability. Perhaps an ability that lets them just sport over to someone as they use a spell but otherwise can't use it?

For example the Inquisitor holds her action, a mage attempts to cast a spell, the Inquisitor hijacks the magics to teleport themselves to the caster?

Make it an opposed check of some kind and its perfect.

bingo_bob
2007-08-13, 10:31 PM
Yeah, that'd probably work. Counter the spell, and get right up close and personal...

Say... what if they could 'prepare' spells, had a spells-per-day and everything, but could only use those spells for counterspells? They wouldn't have very many, but it'd be a really neat ability.

Ing
2007-08-13, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that'd probably work. Counter the spell, and get right up close and personal...

Say... what if they could 'prepare' spells, had a spells-per-day and everything, but could only use those spells for counterspells? They wouldn't have very many, but it'd be a really neat ability.

Sounds like a good idea for a prestigue class! Thanks.

Xefas
2007-08-13, 10:36 PM

Seems sort of needlessly excessive when you could just give them a plain counterspelling ability.

And my vote is for the counterspelling that teleports you! Call it "Close the Gap" or something.

bingo_bob
2007-08-13, 10:41 PM
Seems sort of needlessly excessive when you could just give them a plain counterspelling ability.

And my vote is for the counterspelling that teleports you! Call it "Close the Gap" or something.

I suppose, sort of.

So... for Close the Gap... how about it teleports you 10 feet per level of the countered spell? It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to go as far off of magic missile as you could if you yanked their Time Stop.

Wizard: I cast-
Inquisitor: STABBITY DEATH!

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 12:13 AM
Spell resistance should not be times Charisma modifier. That's a bit much. You could easily get 70 SR at level 20 with that. Way higher if you actually tried.

Vhaidara
2007-08-14, 12:20 AM
It's about time we got a true mage killing class. Although it needs a good Will save. Lot's of magic works on Will saves.

Ing
2007-08-14, 08:02 AM
It's about time we got a true mage killing class. Although it needs a good Will save. Lot's of magic works on Will saves.

Their low willsave is supplemented by a natural spell resistance.

Ing
2007-08-14, 09:18 AM
Added Close the Gap and mettle in place of Evasion and Improved evasion respectively.

Tormsskull
2007-08-14, 09:24 AM
Hmm, I really like the idea but I think it is too powerful. I'd reduce its BAB to a cleric's, reduce the spell resistance, and possibly reduce the armor proficiency down to medium.

Catch
2007-08-14, 09:44 AM
Hmm, I really like the idea but I think it is too powerful. I'd reduce its BAB to a cleric's, reduce the spell resistance, and possibly reduce the armor proficiency down to medium.

It definitely has a lot of resistances, but that's part of the class, and it's certainly not more powerful than something with full caster progression.

For the SR, though, the general formula is 11 + HD. With this class, you could easily get SR over 100 with a few charisma boosts.

Ing
2007-08-14, 10:29 AM
It definitely has a lot of resistances, but that's part of the class, and it's certainly not more powerful than something with full caster progression.

For the SR, though, the general formula is 11 + HD. With this class, you could easily get SR over 100 with a few charisma boosts.

Yeah but I was thinking of making Cha effect it some how.

Maybe just have the 11+HD+cha modifier?

geez3r
2007-08-14, 10:49 AM
Okay, I have a few nitpicks about the class.

Firstly, the special abilities being listed alphabetically instead of at the level they're gained threw me off. It's just kind of standard to do the latter.

Secondly, as others have mentioned the current formula for spell resistance yeild very high results. Even if you meant it as SR = 10 + (1/2 level x Cha mod) that yeilds some rather high results. Even with only a decent Charisma, you are more or less immune to spells cast by everything moderately close to your CR.

I also have a question about the Aether blows ability. What happens if your opponent has something like Gloves of Dexterity +2?

I like this class though. I personally wouldn't have made it as martial oriented as you have, but it's your class so that decision is up to you.

Ing
2007-08-14, 11:09 AM
Okay, I have a few nitpicks about the class.

Firstly, the special abilities being listed alphabetically instead of at the level they're gained threw me off. It's just kind of standard to do the latter.

Secondly, as others have mentioned the current formula for spell resistance yeild very high results. Even if you meant it as SR = 10 + (1/2 level x Cha mod) that yeilds some rather high results. Even with only a decent Charisma, you are more or less immune to spells cast by everything moderately close to your CR.

I also have a question about the Aether blows ability. What happens if your opponent has something like Gloves of Dexterity +2?

I like this class though. I personally wouldn't have made it as martial oriented as you have, but it's your class so that decision is up to you.

I thought it would be easier

Fixed spell resistance

Aether blows applies only to magical AC bonuses such as shield and mage armor etc. Gloves of Dexterity or similar bluffs increase AC indirectly so Aether Blows don't effect them.

The class is supposed to be like a witch hunter class (Ideally designed to work say with a religious order or the like) The prestige class of Grand Inquisitor I'm working on will be more 'anti-magic' based instead of martial.

TO_Incognito
2007-08-14, 11:40 AM
The class has no opportunity for customization built in; the only choices are normal feats and one or two skill points at each level. That makes me a sad panda.

drawingfreak
2007-08-14, 11:49 AM
I find that it would make a very interesting NPC at the very least. Consider this thread subscribed and your class to be under consideration for a game.

Ing
2007-08-14, 12:21 PM
The class has no opportunity for customization built in; the only choices are normal feats and one or two skill points at each level. That makes me a sad panda.

That's what cross classing is for.

They can't use spells but a Inquisitor/Rogue or Inquisitor/Paladin would be a nasty bugger.

They're literally as customizable as the Paladin.

I'm also working on the Grand Inquisitor PRC which should solve some of those problems

littlechicory
2007-08-14, 03:18 PM
That's what cross classing is for.

They can't use spells but a Inquisitor/Rogue or Inquisitor/Paladin would be a nasty bugger.

But you indicated in the main post that inquisitors can't cross-class for fear of losing their class abilities.

Perhaps include a feat that, like the "Monastic Training" feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting, allows an inquisitor to cross into one other class without losing his inquisitor abilities.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-08-14, 03:23 PM
The thing that worries me is the attack bonus and the ability to Enervate with every attack.

The attack can be at 3/4ths, since it bypasses most magical protection. The enervation ability should definitely be limited, as that's an instant killer right there...

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-14, 03:44 PM
Needs an ability to ignore defensive casting.

Ing
2007-08-14, 08:21 PM
But you indicated in the main post that inquisitors can't cross-class for fear of losing their class abilities.

Perhaps include a feat that, like the "Monastic Training" feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting, allows an inquisitor to cross into one other class without losing his inquisitor abilities.

No Inquisitors cannot cross class to a spellcaster class.

They can't cross class to Bard, Wizard, Druid, Cleric.

Ing
2007-08-14, 08:23 PM
Needs an ability to ignore defensive casting.

Read Aether Blows

Ing
2007-08-14, 08:24 PM
The thing that worries me is the attack bonus and the ability to Enervate with every attack.

The attack can be at 3/4ths, since it bypasses most magical protection. The enervation ability should definitely be limited, as that's an instant killer right there...

They cannot enervate every attack. It's limited in times per day. Read the chart damn it!

Nu
2007-08-14, 09:39 PM
A few nitpicks/comments:

Alignment: Lawful.

I think this should read "Any Lawful."

Aether Blows (Sp): Starting at level 4 The Inquisitor’s aura empowers her melee attacks with a constant source of magical feedback. The Inquisitor’s disrupting blows are not effected by AC points that come from magical means (Either from items, natural auras or buff spells). Furthermore the Inquisitor’s strikes ignore up to 1 pt of magical damage reduction per 5 Inquisitor levels (capping at 5 at level 20). All damage reduction that is either magical in nature or can be bypassed by magic is effectively reduced when struck by the Inquisitor’s attacks.

All of this sounds a bit much for a level 4 ability. Perhaps it start out something like ignoring any enhancement bonuses to AC or natural armor, then at certain higher levels work its way up to ignoring damage reduction? Perhaps even ignoring resistance bonuses to saves?

Break Enchantment (Sp): The Inquisitor can use break enchantment as the spell as a supernatural ability. The Inquisitor uses her Cha modifier for determining DC
Dispel Chaos (Su): The Inquisitor can use Dispel Chaos as the spell as a supernatural ability. The Inquisitor uses her Cha modifier for determining DC

Think you mean as a spell-like abilities here rather than Supernatural abilities.

Disrupting strike (Su): Once per day, a Inquisitor may attempt to strike a creation with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Inquisitor level. . If that creature is under the influence of a spell, spell like effect or is inherently magical in nature (Such as being animated by magic like an undead, or naturally magic like a fey) the additional damage from the attack is doubled. The creature must make a will save equal to 10+Inquisitor level. If the creature fails they are unable to use magic or supernatural abilities for 1d6 rounds. If the Inquisitor accidentally smites a creature that is not under the protection or influence of a spell or non-magical, the strike has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

I'd reduce that to 1d4 rounds, maybe 1d4+1(either way it should still shut down a caster for most of a battle, but it's not COMPLETELY crippling if the fight manages to drag on). The wording is somewhat confusing--the additional damage is doubled if the creature is nonmagical and not enchanted, but if they're not it has no effect?

Dispel Magic (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a Inquisitor with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can cast Dispel Magic by touch. Each day she can cast the effect a number of times equal to Inquisitor level/2 (rounded down) maximizing at 10 per day at level 20.

Again, this probably should count as a spell-like ability.

Stoicism (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a Inquisitor is immune to effects that alter emotions (Magical or otherwise).

If this includes any mind-affecting ability it's rather overpowered. Perhaps it should render them immune to Compulsion effects, as the Paladin of Freedom.

Spell resistance (Ex): At 3rd level, a Inquisitor gains Spell resistance equal to 11+Inquisitor HD+Cha modifier

This also seems way overpowered for a 3rd level ability. Bump it way up to 15th or 16th level, I say, and reduce it a bit(perhaps 5+Inquisitor level+CHA mod). Perhaps get a less powerful ability at a low level that reduces the effectiveness of spells on the Inquisitor(say, spells cast on the Inquisitor have -1 caster level and -1 save DC, increasing every 3 levels).

Ex-Inquisitors: An inquisitor who cross classes to a spellcaster class or a class that uses supernatural abilities (Monk, Bard, Ranger, Psion) loose their Class features. The soul exception are Lawful Good Inquisitors who have proven their dedication to a cause or deity and may find themselves called as Paladins. It should be noted however, that depending on the order or society the inquisitors belongs to, such an event might be considered shameful and result in excommunication from the order. Certain religious orders of INquisitors may also permit cross classing to Cleric. An Inquisitor can cross class to Ranger but are unable to utalize the Ranger's spelllist

Maybe it'd just be easier to say "if they cast a spell or use a supernatural or spell-like ability granted by a class other than Inquisitor, they lose all of their Inquisitor class features?" I dunno if that covers all you want, but it might.

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-14, 09:59 PM
Read Aether Blows

What I mean is the act of making a concentration check to cast defensively thus denying your opponent an attack of opportunity. It should have a way to get around that.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 10:46 AM
Most Inquisitors find themselves unable to cordially work with spell casters such as Wizards, Sorcerers, Bards, Paladins, Druids, etc, However, some who fight for a crusade or cause or consider themselves demon hunters will often happily ally themselves with Divine spell casters, whom they view as comrades

emphasis mine

Ing
2007-08-15, 01:18 PM
emphasis mine

There's a reason it says most and not all.

Ing
2007-08-20, 03:13 PM
OK here are some changes i'm thinking

a) Disrupting strike. Deals damage only to creatures that have some sort of magical biology or have a spell acting upon them. It converts magic energy into disruptive damage. The additional damage counts as magical for purposes of damage reduction. Magical ability is suppressed for 1d4+1 rounds.

b) Aetherblows. Aetherblows allows a Inquisitor's melee blows to bypass AC granted by spells or supernatural effecting a target or their gear. It does not effect AC from Dexterity, the Monk's WIS or Level bonus. It does effect spells such as Mage Armor, shield, Iron Body, Stone Skin, Magic Vestment etc.
It has no effect on inherent magical abilities in that gear.

c) Inquisitors loose their abilities if they cast from Arcane, Ranger or Druid spell lists. They can cross class to Ranger but can't cast spells from them. They can cross class to Cleric, Paladin, Fighter, Barbarian, and Rogue and maintain all features of both classes.