PDA

View Full Version : So I'm trying to redesign Eldritch Knight.....

Wyvernblooded
2017-09-21, 09:00 PM
So I have always had a love for the battlemages and spellcaster-warrior hybrids since the dawn of forever. However, I wanted to rewrite this prestige class for a friend for an upcoming Pathfinder game.

How does this look as a prestige class? Whaddaya think?

*BEFORE YOU READ: Please do not suggest the magus class. I've looked at it. It's awesome. I just wanted to experiment with this and see how it went.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

Eldritch Knight
Fearsome warriors and spellcasters, eldritch knights are rare among magic-users in their ability to wade into battle alongside fighters, barbarians, and other martial classes. Those who must face eldritch knights in combat fear them greatly, for their versatility on the battlefield is tremendous; against heavily armed and armored opponents they may level crippling spells, while opposing spellcasters meet their ends on an eldritch knight’s blade.
Because the road to becoming an eldritch knight requires both martial prowess and arcane power, eldritch knights almost always begin their paths as multiclassed characters, such as fighter/wizards or ranger/sorcerers. They may be found wherever studies of the arcane are as prevalent as martial training.

Prerequisites
To qualify to become an eldritch knight, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.
Weapon Proficiency: Must be proficient with all martial weapons.

Class Skills
The eldritch knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).
Hit Die: d10
Skills: 2 + Int Modifier
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spells Per Day
1 +1 +1 +1 +0 Diverse Training, Evoker, Spell Combat
2 +2 +1 +1 +1 Eldritch Arcana, Spellstrike +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3 +3 +2 +2 +1 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4 +4 +2 +2 +1 Medium Armor +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
5 +5 +3 +3 +2 Eldritch Arcana +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
6 +6 +3 +3 +2 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
7 +7 +4 +4 +2 Heavy Armor +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
8 +8 +4 +4 +3 Eldritch Arcana +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
9 +9 +5 +5 +3 Signature Spell +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
10 +10 +5 +5 +3 Arcane Champion +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Class Features
All of the following are features of the eldritch knight prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Eldritch knights gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Diverse Training
An eldritch knight adds his level to any levels of fighter he might have for the purpose of meeting the prerequisites for feats (if he has no fighter levels, treat his eldritch knight levels as levels of fighter). He also adds his level to any levels in an arcane spellcasting class for the purpose of meeting the prerequisites for feats.

Spells per Day
At the indicated levels, an eldritch knight gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if he is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an eldritch knight, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Evoker
At 1st level, an eldritch knight adds his Intelligence modifier to damage rolls made with evocation spells

Spell Combat (Ex)
At 1st level, an eldritch knight learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the eldritch knight must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding he possesses proficiency in. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from their spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. An eldritch knight can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.

Spellstrike (Su)
At 2nd level, whenever an eldritch knight casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the his spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, an eldritch knight can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the eldritch knights makes this attack in concert with spell combat, this melee attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat melee attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.

Eldritch Arcana
As he gains levels, an eldritch knight learns arcane secrets tailored to his specific way of blending martial puissance and magical skill. Starting at 3rd level, an eldritch knight gains one eldritch arcana . He gains an additional eldritch arcana for every three levels of eldritch knight attained after 3rd level. Unless specifically noted in a eldritch arcana’s description, an eldritch knight cannot select a particular eldritch arcana more than once.

- Arcane Fire: An eldritch knight can sacrifice a prepared blast or spell slot to unleash a blast of arcane fire. At the
cost of a 4th level spell slot or higher, an eldritch knight can unleash a 60ft cone of magical flames. This spell
does 1d6 point of damage per caster level. Each additional level of spell slot over 4th adds an additional 1d6
points of damage.

- Arcane Surge: An eldritch knight, as a standard action, can infuse arcane energy into their weapon. As a swift
action, an eldritch knight can expend a spell-slot to add their Intelligence (or Charisma if higher) modifier to
attack rolls their eldritch knight level to damage rolls. In addition. These bonuses last for a number of rounds
equal to the level of spell sacrificed.

- Elemental Caster: An eldritch knight can, as a free action, alter the energy type of a spell he casts. He may
choose from fire, cold, lightning, and acid damage, and can only alter a spell if it uses one of these types of
damage initially.

- Eldritch Warrior: An eldritch knight may use his caster level in place of his BAB, or his highest
BAB in place of his caster level if that is higher.

- Arcane Shifter: Whenever an eldritch knight casts a transmutation spell, they get an additional bonus to a single
ability score. This can be selected multiple times, and can be applied to an additional ability score or increase the
bonus to the first ability score (max +6)

- Consume Eldritch Power: An eldritch knight can consume a spell slot to gain a bonus to a physical ability score.
As a swift action, an eldritch knight gains a +1 bonus to an ability score for every two levels in the eldritch knight
class. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the level of spell sacrificed.

Weapon Bond: An eldritch knight can gain an arcane bond that must be made with a melee weapon the eldritch knight is proficient with. This weapon becomes a sentient black blade, as per the magus ability, and his eldritch knight levels stack with his levels in an arcane spellcasting class for determining the powers of the black blade.

Arcane Weapon Training: An eldritch knight gains the benefits of the weapon training fighter ability, but only with a bonded weapon. An eldritch knight must select the weapon bond arcana before this one.

Medium Armor (Ex)
At 4th level, an eldritch knight gains proficiency with medium armor if he doesn’t already possess it. An eldritch knight can cast arcane spells while wearing medium armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, an eldritch knight wearing heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component.

Heavy Armor (Ex)
At 13th level, an eldritch knight gains proficiency with heavy armor. An eldritch knight can cast arcane spells while wearing heavy armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, an eldritch knight using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component.

Signature Spell (Ex)
At 9th level, an eldritch knight may select one evocation spell 2nd level or lower. This spell becomes an at-will cantrip for the eldritch knight, but is cast as if he were 4 caster levels lower for the effects of the spell. An eldritch knight may still choose to prepare the spell at its full effects.

Arcane Champion (Ex)
At 10th level, an eldritch knight has learned to truly blend arcane and martial prowess. He gains spell resistance equal to his Intelligence modifier plus his eldritch knight level, DR 10/magic, and energy resistance to one element of their choice.

rferries
2017-09-22, 12:54 AM
Hey, I cleared up the table a bit. I wasn't sure about the progression you used for the saves. I've heard there's a progression between Good and Poor saves but I don't know how to calculate it. Feel free to copy and edit it as you see fit.

Table: The Eldritch Knight

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+1

+2

+2

+0

Diverse Training, Evoker, Spell Combat

2nd

+2

+3

+3

+0

Eldritch Arcana, Spellstrike,
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd

+3

+3

+3

+1

4th

+4

+4

+4

+1

Medium Armor,

5th

+5

+4

+4

+1

Eldritch Arcana,

6th

+6/+1

+5

+5

+2

7th

+7/+2

+5

+5

+2

Heavy Armor.

8th

+8/+3

+6

+6

+2

Eldritch Arcana,

9th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+3

Signature Spell,

10th

+10/+5

+7

+7

+3

Arcane Champion,

Balance-wise: what power level are you aiming for? You sacrifice 2 caster levels (1 from the class, 1 to get proficiency with all martial weapons as a fighter/paladin etc.) and are MAD but you get a ton of abilities, good HD and full BAB.

Also, there are a bunch of grammatical/copy&paste errors throughout, which may alter the power level of the abilities from what you intended. I'd encourage you to read them over again (I know it's a pain, I'm constantly making mistakes when uploading here myself! :D).

Evoker: Fair enough.

Spell-Combat: Basically quickened spells with each full-attack. Technically broken but it's just such an awesome and flavourful ability that I can't resist it. Top marks!

Spellstrike: Another flavourful one!

Eldritch Arcana: Variable power depending on your build, but it's looking like Arcane Fire is by far the best (no cap on the caster level, as written), followed by Arcane Surge for proper gishes.

Weapon Bond: Fair enough. Elric, anyone? ;D

Arcane Weapon Training: Fair enough.

Armour (Medium/Heavy): Good stuff, should have been worked into 3.5.

Signature Spell: Interesting! I don't know enough about the Pathfinder options; I suppose in 3.5 the best options would be scorching ray and magic missile. Should specify it has to be a sor/wizard spell, and one that he already knows.

Arcane Champion: Nice little capstone. How much energy resistance?