PDA

View Full Version : Hell Hound Cloak Charisma save

RickAllison
2017-09-22, 12:27 AM
Does the saving throw for the Hell Hound Cloak take place before or after the transformation? Does a sorcerer or someone else with Charisma saving throw proficiency benefit from that bonus, or is your resistance to the save solely based on the hell hound's stat block?

For what it's worth, my DM has already given me his answer, which was that it used the hell hound's saving throw. He did mention that he based his decision on the fact that the party does have access to curse removal...

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-22, 07:06 PM
It sounds to me like this is an unwanted effect, so you should be getting a save BEFORE any transformation occurs. As such, it wouldn't make any sense to me to be using the stat block of the form you take AFTER being transformed.

Now, I'm not sure what your DM's like, obviously, but it sounds like he's twisting the rules to your detriment, to get something that he wants to happen to occur.

It wouldn't make any sense to be using the stat block of a housecat if an enemy tried to Polymorph you into one, now would it?

RickAllison
2017-09-22, 07:37 PM
It sounds to me like this is an unwanted effect, so you should be getting a save BEFORE any transformation occurs. As such, it wouldn't make any sense to me to be using the stat block of the form you take AFTER being transformed.

Now, I'm not sure what your DM's like, obviously, but it sounds like he's twisting the rules to your detriment, to get something that he wants to happen to occur.

It wouldn't make any sense to be using the stat block of a housecat if an enemy tried to Polymorph you into one, now would it?

There are two extenuating circumstances that might be contributing factors:

1: I am a Paladin at a high level. If he saves before the transformation, I have no chance of failure.

2: The transformation is not the result of the save, the transformation is a willing action that can be done 5 times without consequence. The 6th time on, you are making a saving throw to avoid being stuck in the form permanently. So it is a question whether the saving throw is a part of the transformation, or whether it is a separate effect triggered by entering the form.

imanidiot
2017-09-22, 07:53 PM
There are two extenuating circumstances that might be contributing factors:

1: I am a Paladin at a high level. If he saves before the transformation, I have no chance of failure.

2: The transformation is not the result of the save, the transformation is a willing action that can be done 5 times without consequence. The 6th time on, you are making a saving throw to avoid being stuck in the form permanently. So it is a question whether the saving throw is a part of the transformation, or whether it is a separate effect triggered by entering the form.

Separate effect triggered by entering the form. The 6th time you transform you have to make a save, so if you never use it a 6th time you never make the save. And you don't make the save until you transform.