PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A First time Artificer here, Craft/Improved Homunculus in 3.5

NotSoSubtle
2017-09-22, 04:13 PM
After a long time away, I’ve discovered rolld20 and am getting back into 3.5. I’ve got a good group, the GM is solid and a good friend, and he’s probably the best story-weaver DM I’ve met for D&D. I’m playing an artificer, something I’ve always wanted to run, and we’re doing the full errata on it to keep it toned down a bit (pretty much means no metamagic *stacking* from the same ability.)

I’ve thrown myself into the item creation rules with good results, and while downtime will be limited in this game I’m already looking forward to eventual Fabricate/Portable hole +Dedicated Wright +Unseen Crafter shenanigans to keep crafting on the road.

I’m really invested in the Craft homunculi class feature and Improved Homunculus feat, though, and I’m stuck on it. I’ve grabbed a bunch of books I’d never even touched before, like the monster manuals 1-5, and I’m just stumped. Making these things is simple enough, but the moment I start trying to add HD it comes apart on me. Trying to figure this out the way I learned crafting (on my own time, then confirming with GM) is driving me hairless.

I’d like to ask if someone could run through it here. Please grab any of the homunculi from MM1 or the Eberron books and add HD, as you would do it for your own use. Not even worried about tactics or good builds right now, just about at what steps you get to add things and make choices so I don’t miss anything when I get to make these myself. If you could, please show the product homunculus at +2 HD and +5HD, since with Improved Homunculus those seem to be good steps. Also, please use one of the Homunculi that isn’t already a small creature, because the size change to small at 6HD is one of the points I’m stuck on.

Thank you in advance. Your help is delaying my eventual baldness.