PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic and Marut

Zsaber0
2017-09-22, 05:17 PM
One of the mythic abilities is to become basically ageless, you can be killed but you wont die of old age. My question then is does this ability cause a Marut to hunt you down? The info on Maruts say that they "primarily target those mortal souls who have artificially extended their lifespans beyond what is feasible for their race, such as liches and other powerful magic users." Are mythic characters still on the list as 'Mortal Souls' and/or does the mythic power count as and "artificial extension" of ones life span?

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-09-22, 05:37 PM
I would say that mythic power would be classified as a 'natural' extension. Plus, I don't think a Marut will be able to do much to scratch a tier 10 mythic character. But you said it yourself, they probably wouldn't even be counted as 'mortal souls' at that point; you're basically a demigod at that point. With the possibility you grant domains.

Calthropstu
2017-09-22, 06:21 PM
I would say that mythic power would be classified as a 'natural' extension. Plus, I don't think a Marut will be able to do much to scratch a tier 10 mythic character. But you said it yourself, they probably wouldn't even be counted as 'mortal souls' at that point; you're basically a demigod at that point. With the possibility you grant domains.

Agreed. Mythic is beyond mortal means, and not unnatural. A marut would be like throwing a cat at a kraken.

Zsaber0
2017-09-22, 07:15 PM
The Longevity(Su) ability can be gained at Mythic tier 1, while I agree a tier 10 guy can defeat the Marut with ease, a tier 1 guy would have a harder time depending on level and party make up.

Going through the fluff it seems to agree that a mythic character is indeed no longer mortal, so they would be spared the wrath of a Marut who only concern themselves in mortal affairs.

Mr Adventurer
2017-09-23, 03:39 PM
Well I mean a lich isn't mortal anymore either...

torrasque666
2017-09-24, 02:03 AM
I think the various ways of gaining Mythic immortality are the kinds of things the Marut would bother with. If the universe decides that a person is enough of a badass that they can no longer die, well that's a bit above the Marut's pay grade isn't it? I see most mythic path abilities as not something that the character themselves works towards (despite being chosen by the player) but how the universe has decided that the progression of their myth will go.

arkangel111
2017-09-24, 02:49 AM
I'd say that sounds like a perfect adventure opportunity. They hunt immortals, you're immortal. It's the player's job to convince the Marut to leave them be.

Calthropstu
2017-09-24, 12:54 PM
I'd say that sounds like a perfect adventure opportunity. They hunt immortals, you're immortal. It's the player's job to convince the Marut to leave them be.

Fair enough. It's not inconcievable that such an adventure could take place, and it could be a fairly decent side adventure.

Feantar
2017-09-24, 07:37 PM
Mythic tiers are essentially paths to deification(see the domains comment above). You'd maybe be safe from Marut because your type of immortality is less abhorrent(it has a path to legitimacy), than Undead creatures; and inevitables aren't infinite (otherwise you'd see Kolyaruts popping up every time you broke a pinky swear)

However, gaining tiers and especially when (if) you grant domains, you'd probably be hunted by a Varakhut; inevitables that hunt those who wish to destroy, or become, gods. They are considerably stronger than the poor little Marut (Powerful as in, 3/day timestop, 1/day wish).

Vhaidara
2017-09-24, 08:38 PM
However, gaining tiers and especially when (if) you grant domains, you'd probably be hunted by a Varakhut; inevitables that hunt those who wish to destroy, or become, gods. They are considerably stronger than the poor little Marut (Powerful as in, 3/day timestop, 1/day wish).

Varakhuts, huh? Aren't those the really awesome 3.5 ones that don't exist in PF?

Feantar
2017-09-24, 11:03 PM
Varakhuts, huh? Aren't those the really awesome 3.5 ones that don't exist in PF?

Curse you innate Tag-blindness! Yeah, they don't exist in pathfinder...*shuffles feet*

Psyren
2017-09-25, 08:08 AM
Short answer: it depends on whether your acquisition of Mythic power was "unnatural" or not. Only your GM can define that.

Longer answer:

It basically all depends on why you became Mythic in the first place. Mythic should never be something routine that just happens during an adventure, like leveling up or finding loot - it should be a game-changing, plot-driven event, possibly even a prophesied one. Thus if you gained Mythic power due to being a Chosen One of some kind, it's quite easy to imagine that Axis would be aware of this and not put you on their hit squads, while if you gained it erroneously they might be less forgiving.

Remember that Mythic can be revoked just as easily as it was gained. The nature of the system as a supplemental add-on to standard levels is such that the GM can strip it away quite easily without forcing you to rebuild your entire character. This mechanic is meant to reflect its narrative goal as a plot-based power source - when the plot that required you to be Mythic is over, the GM can decide whether you keep the extra power (including immortality, if applicable) or not. Certainly there are many examples of heroes that were granted immortality until they fulfilled a purpose, then set that immortality aside and moved on. And there are just as many examples of those who gained immortality then refused to relinquish it, both wrongly and correctly so. That latter set would probably be targeted by Axis whether they had a good reason or not.

Calthropstu
2017-09-25, 04:55 PM
I prefer the immorality mythic power over the immortality. Being able to say "I am so powerful I am beyond good and evil" is pretty awesome. There's not a single ability quite like it.