PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Spend My Other Eight Levels On?

Erit
2017-09-22, 07:29 PM
Context and houserules: I've made myself a Tabaxi Monk using the revised Kensei subclass. Current stats are 10/18/12/10/15/12, and the party is presently at 4th level. Houserules in play are the allowance of reasonable homebrew, and players getting to choose a feat in addition to their ASIs, not just instead of.

My current idea has me taking 12 levels in Kensei, just enough to get what I want and not waste an ASI. My trouble is that I can't really settle on what to do with the other eight levels; the party's already got a Rogue, a Sorcerer, a Paladin, a Cleric, and three Bards, and role overlap isn't discouraged, but I have no idea where to take this cat towards the end.

I initially wanted to create something focused on the whole mystique of iaijutsu, but there isn't really a lot mechanically to induce that. I feel like a second frontliner wouldn't go amiss, but there are so many options for that that I still don't know which one to pick. A secondary tank capable of dealing high damage sounds best, but how to go about creating that I do not know.

Suggestions? Scrapping and rebuilding is a semivalid option so long as it doesn't require retooling the appearance of the character; so no suddenly turning into a full-20 Wizard for instance.

Rynjin
2017-09-22, 07:56 PM
If you want a tank, you can't really go wrong with Bearbarian. If needed, refluff Rage as a temporary state of hyper-focus that makes you more capable or deflecting blows and striking harder. So there's at least three levels for you.

Sorlock Master
2017-09-22, 07:58 PM
Champion. Increase your crit range and multiple fighting styles, Dueling and Archery, if you split 10 and 10 which also nets you 1 more ASI. If you go Champ12/Kensai 8. You get 3 regular attacks and 2 unarmed with Flurry of Blows. Netting you 5 unarmed dice and 3 weapon dice.

bid
2017-09-22, 08:41 PM
Diamond soul?
You still have 8 levels to go before you have to decide, but why not just keep monk?

Beyond that:
- swashbuckler would help mobility
- BM would give you tricks
- ranger could work
- cleric, if something like dampen element fits your RP concept

But I think pure monk does better.

the_brazenburn
2017-10-02, 01:34 PM
I agree with bid. Monk is one of the fastest-scaling classes out there, and you get an awesome feature at almost every level. Might be worth keeping your original class at least for another level. If you do need to switch, Battle Master fighter is always worth a try.

Specter
2017-10-02, 01:49 PM
You definitely want Diamond Soul. Definitely.
After that, I'd go Rogue.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-02, 03:23 PM
No one out monks the monk. Nothing wrong with pure monk.

I think you have the wrong approach to multiclassing. You multiclass when you want to build in a particular direction. Fighter, barbarian, rogue, even moon druid might be that direction depending on what you want. But if you want a monk, stick with monk.

gameogre
2017-10-03, 07:42 PM
What a wonderful issue you have! Congrats! I myself have never gotten a character over 14th in 5E before we finished the adventure path and started in on another one.

Citan
2017-10-04, 06:52 PM
Context and houserules: I've made myself a Tabaxi Monk using the revised Kensei subclass. Current stats are 10/18/12/10/15/12, and the party is presently at 4th level. Houserules in play are the allowance of reasonable homebrew, and players getting to choose a feat in addition to their ASIs, not just instead of.

I initially wanted to create something focused on the whole mystique of iaijutsu, but there isn't really a lot mechanically to induce that. I feel like a second frontliner wouldn't go amiss, but there are so many options for that that I still don't know which one to pick. A secondary tank capable of dealing high damage sounds best, but how to go about creating that I do not know.

Hi OP! :)

First, a little disclaimer on your question...

No one out monks the monk. Nothing wrong with pure monk.

I think you have the wrong approach to multiclassing. You multiclass when you want to build in a particular direction. Fighter, barbarian, rogue, even moon druid might be that direction depending on what you want. But if you want a monk, stick with monk.
+100.
Really. Monk is hard at low levels, but is one of the most strong-loaded classes in the latter half of the progression. Don't remember about Kensei features but at least Diamond Soul is something you really really want, if you already managed to get up to level 12.

With that said...
Those stats imply that only official classes available for multiclass are Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Fighter, Rogue, or Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock in case you bump CHA with a half-feat or such.

Considering you already have Rogue, a Sorcerer, a Paladin, a Cleric, and three Bards, and your objectives I'd say...

1. Either pick one class to "dual-in", in which case avoiding existing classes may be best, so I'd say...
- Grassland Druid 6: Longstrider and Earth Tremor will help you being good on offense, Healing Words will discharge your Cleric a bit, Pass Without Trace would be an "exclusive" help to the party, and later you can do stupidly great things with either Plant Growth (which Land Druid "ignores") or Haste (which Grassland has) or both. ;)
- Hunter Ranger 3 as an alternative, mainly to get Archery (helpful at times), Hunter's Mark (better damage) and Horde Breaker (with your mobility should be useful often).

2. Or dip levels in several classes so you can grab good things without any of your friends feeling tip-toed on.
In which case I'd say a mix of...
- Life Cleric 1 (Bless, Healing Words, Sanctuary),
- Druid 3 (aforementioned spells + Life Goodberries), Sheperd if allowed (+ cool short rest ability) otherwise Coast (Mirror Image + Misty Step very helpful on you to tank).
- Rogue 2 (unless Kensei gives you great bonus action, Cunning Action is good to have to spare Ki on offensive things instead of having to spend it on Dash/Disengage)

Also, as far as tanking goes, I did a homebrew (well, never fully published because things to iron but overall functional) that had some strong tanking abilities, but its fluff is significantly tight with elemental magic so don't know if you could be interested.

Marvnmartian
2017-10-05, 01:24 AM
With those stats you can effectively multiclass into Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Cleric, Druid. Out of these options since you said get everything you want out of the class I would assume you mean their level 11 ability where you can drop 3 kif for +3/+3 hit and damage which is nice so with that ability and your excess of feats you can pick up I would go one of two routes Ranger or Fighter

Revised Ranger for 6 levels cause Diamond soul as stated above is too good to pass up. for this investment you get:

Ignore difficult terrain- With your increased movement speed using your entire movement to climb down a wall get your full round of attacks ki out and climb back up is a nasty thing you get at level 1
Fighting Style - Dueling +2 to attacks add this to your level 11 ability and thats +5 which is nice
Spell casting - 4 level 1 spell slots and 2 level 2s 4 spells known total
Favored enemy- allows you to customize your extra +2 to damage into what you run into most often in your campaign as well as at 20 (14 monk 6 ranger) you get +4 with greater favoured enemy
I would choose Underdark Scout personally as I would make an ambush character with your build and the extra 30 feet of darkvision 10 feet of movement and a third attack for your first turn yeah that sounds mean.

or Fighter simply to get your extra ASI in the end as well as
Fighting Style Dueling again
Action Surge/Second Wind always great to have for nova rounds
As for archetypes BM is the way to go 9/10 3 maneuvers and 4 dice to toss down too but look at the SCAG cantrips and see if Eldritch knight is appealing to you
Manuevers i'd pick: Commanders Strike(off turn rogue sneak attacks anyone), Pushing attack if you fight Large or smaller people often if not Percision strike, and Trip attack if large or smaller as well