PDA

View Full Version : The Dragons of Thoon [Creature]

The Demented One
2007-08-13, 11:21 PM
Quintessence Dragon
Huge Dragon (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 20d12+160 (290 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 120 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 30 (-2 size, +22 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+30
Attack: Bite +26 melee (2d8+8)
Full Attack: Bite +26 melee (2d8+8) and 2 Claws +24 melee (2d6+4) and 2 Wings +24 melee (1d8+4), and Tail Slap +24 melee (2d6+12)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, maddening presence, manifesting, surging breath
Special Qualities: Blindsense 60 ft., damage reduction 15/magic, fast healing 5, immunity to sleep and paralysis, keen senses, power resistance 30, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +12, Will +15
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 10, Con 24, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Autohypnosis +26, Concentration +30, Intimidate +26, Knowledge (Psionics) +27, Knowledge (The Planes) +27, Listen +26, Psicraft +27, Search +26, Spot +26, Use Psionic Device +26
Feats: Sense QuintessenceB, Power Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness,CW), Heighten Breath (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Heighten_Breath,all), Maximize Breath (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Maximize_Breath,all), Quicken Breath (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Quicken_Breath,all)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: Triple Standard
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: 21-27 HD (Huge), 28-39 HD (Gargantuan), 40+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

Quintessence Dragons are living weapons created by the Mind Flayers of Thoon. Altered by psionic modification and exposure to the Far Planes, Quintessence Dragons are slaves to the Thoon Elder Brains, and act as their guardians, being even more powerful than the elder brains themselves. Quintessence Dragons are created from true dragons by the Mind Flayers of Thoon. The process of creating a Quintessence Dragon requires capturing a true dragon of Huge size or larger, and infusing it with a massive overdose of quintessence. This triggers a bizarre metamorphosis within the dragon which, after being guided along by psychometabolic powers, transforms the dragon into a Quintessence Dragon. Finally, the newly-created Quintessence Dragon is lobotomized, and its brain is replaced with a bud from a Thoon Elder Brain, binding the dragon forever to the cause of Thoon. Quintessence Dragons are covered in bizarre, mutated scales that are actually formed from modified nervous tissue, an exterior brain that is just as tough as any true dragon’s scales. Because of the difficulty in subduing and capturing dragons powerful enough to be transformed into Quintessence Dragons, and the amounts of quintessence required to start the transformation, the Mind Flayers of Thoon have created a scarce few Quintessence Dragons, and only the oldest and most important Thoon Elder Brains are guarded by them. For more on the Mind Flayers of Thoon and quintessence, see Monster Manual V.

Breath Weapon (Su)
A Quintessence Dragon has two breath weapons; a 50 ft. cone of temporal energy and a 50 ft. cone of disruptive telepathic energy. The temporal energy breath weapons disrupts those caught in it, forcing them partially out of the time stream, and dealing 10d6 damage. A successful Fortitude save, DC 27, halves the damage. The telepathic energy breath weapon stuns all those caught in it for 3d4 rounds unless they successfully make a DC 27 Will save. The saves are Constitution-based. The telepathic energy breath weapon is a mind-affecting ability. Once a Quintessence Dragon has used its breath weapon, it must wait 1d4 rounds before it can use it again.

Maddening Presence (Su)
Rather than the frightful presence of a true dragon, a Quintessence Dragon’s mere presence drives those who see it to madness. Whenever a Quintessence Dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead, all creatures within 180 ft. of it that see it and have less HD than the dragon must make a DC 23 Will save or be confused for 1d4 rounds and take 1d6 points of Wisdom damage. Creatures reduced to 0 Wisdom become unconscious, but they mutter “Thoon...Thoon...Thoon” constantly, until the Wisdom damage is healed. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect. The save is Charisma-based.

Manifesting
A Quintessence Dragon manifests psionic powers as a 7th-level Telepath. A Quintessence Dragon receives 60 power points each day. The save DC of a Quintessence Dragon’s power is equal to 14 + the power’s level.

Typical Powers Known
1st–detect psionics, inertial armor, offensive prescience, psionic charm, vigor; 2nd–biofeedback, brain lock, id insinuation, psionic suggestion; 3rd–dispel psionics, false sensory input, hostile empathic transfer, telekinetic force; 4th–energy adaptation, schism.

Surging Breath (Ex)
Whenever a Quintessence Dragon uses its breath weapon, it may choose to expend up to 50 hp. For every 5 hp expended this way, the amount of time before the dragon can next use its breath weapon is reduced by one round.

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 12:03 AM
This looks pretty cool, but I'd like to see it as a template, or a full dragon progression (wyrmling to great wyrm).

I'm going to be using Thoon stuff in my current game, but it's pretty low-powered, so a CR 16 monsterosity is cool, but relatively useless to me personally.

EndgamerAzari
2007-08-14, 12:08 AM
Thoon...Thoon...Thoon...Thoon...

I see no big problems here, though admittedly I'm not good at judging character/monster might.

BUT THE WORLD NEEDS MORE THOON.

The Demented One
2007-08-14, 10:46 AM
/b/ump - random

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=Goober4473;3031886]This looks pretty cool, but I'd like to see it as a template, or a full dragon progression (wyrmling to great wyrm).
[QUOTE]

I agree here. Seems from the flavor like this would be better as a template.

Triaxx
2007-08-14, 02:11 PM
This is very interesting. Though the name could make for a very funny conversation between a slow character and one with a lisp.

"The Dragonth of Thoon."

"When?"

"Thoon."

The Demented One
2007-08-14, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Goober4473;3031886]This looks pretty cool, but I'd like to see it as a template, or a full dragon progression (wyrmling to great wyrm).

I agree here. Seems from the flavor like this would be better as a template.
I don't think so, because it represents a total metamorphosis into a new kind of creature, not just a modification of the existing creature. Also, the reason I didn't make it a full age-range dragon is because it's intended to be an end-of-campaign big baddy, right up there with the Thoon Elder Brain. If would be somewhat cheapened if the players were fighting wyrmling quintessence dragons from 5th level onward. However, I may change this later on.

EndgamerAzari
2007-08-14, 04:04 PM
From the look of things, you went with what WotC did with the Infiltrators: yes, it seems like it could be a template, but the base creature changes so much that it'd be almost pointless.

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 04:06 PM
But what if they managed to do this to a collosal dragon? Does it shrink and become huge? Perhaps only 3 version of the monster? Huge, gargantuan, and collosal?

The Demented One
2007-08-14, 04:45 PM
But what if they managed to do this to a collosal dragon? Does it shrink and become huge? Perhaps only 3 version of the monster? Huge, gargantuan, and collosal?
I'd personally just advance its HD to match the base dragon's size.