PDA

View Full Version : Need help on warlock confused on how they work? Essences and blast shapes

Syriously
2017-09-23, 12:24 AM
So im playing a warlock 3.5e. Im confused on how essence and blast shapes are applied to an eldritch blast.

1 can anyone explain to me how applying them works?
2 are they free actions that just pop on to my eldritch blast?
3 are they both ( the essence and blast shape )separate standard actions since they are (su)
4 i do need documentation on how this works. ( to bring to my dm)

danielxcutter
2017-09-23, 12:38 AM
So im playing a warlock 3.5e. Im confused on how essence and blast shapes are applied to an eldritch blast.

1 can anyone explain to me how applying them works?
2 are they free actions that just pop on to my eldritch blast?
3 are they both ( the essence and blast shape )separate standard actions since they are (su)
4 i do need documentation on how this works. ( to bring to my dm)

You just slap them on your Eldritch Blast, no extra actions required.

That being said, they do make your EB count as higher-level SLAs, so remember that when applying things like Quicken Spell-Like Ability(and yes, all warlock invocations are SLAs).

Syriously
2017-09-23, 12:47 AM
You just slap them on your Eldritch Blast, no extra actions required.

That being said, they do make your EB count as higher-level SLAs, so remember that when applying things like Quicken Spell-Like Ability(and yes, all warlock invocations are SLAs).

Anyway you could show me where to look in a book that shows me where this is stated? We have a really stunborn group and i meed documentation.

Allanimal
2017-09-23, 01:05 AM
Anyway you could show me where to look in a book that shows me where this is stated? We have a really stunborn group and i meed documentation.

It's all explained in Complete Arcane in the Warlock class description. There was errata, so be sure you have that. If I remember correctly, the errata clarified the CL of the eldritch blast.

Anxe
2017-09-23, 01:22 AM
Best language is probably on page 130.

"Must be used in conjunction with eldritch blast..."

They are used as part of the eldritch blast. You slap it on and then it's shape changes and/or it has an extra effect. No action required, it's just part of using eldritch blast.

An alternative explanation is that blast shape and eldritch essence invocations require a standard action to activate and then all subsequent eldritch blasts use that shape and/or essence until you activate a different effect or deactivate each of the applied effects with a standard action each. This interpretation is wrong because there's no evidence to support it. It's also bad because Warlock is a class that doesn't really need nerfing compared to any other class.

Axel_690
2017-09-23, 03:20 AM
If the people you're playing with are trying to nerf the warlock then something is wrong.

Crake
2017-09-23, 04:15 PM
If the people you're playing with are trying to nerf the warlock then something is wrong.

To be fair, to new players, the warlock looks decidedly overpowered. Look at all the things they can do, and the can do them all at will?!

It's a common newbie misconception, nothing to gawk at.

skunk3
2017-09-24, 01:35 AM
I feel like warlocks don't get nearly enough love. They are one of my favorite base classes, hands down. They're just plain cool.

I also like the fact that the abilities you get from them are unlimited, and at-will... or basically 24-hour buffs. Warlocks shine in campaigns in which your DM makes you face long battles over the course of a 24-hour (in game) period because as other people use up spells and abilities and finite ammunition, warlocks can just keep going and going. If you are in a campaign in which there's only a little action each day, sure, other classes can be decidedly more powerful, but IMO warlocks have great staying power, not to mention there's so many different ways to play them. They can be badass in melee with eldritch claws, they can be long-range snipers, they can be excellent scouts, they can be the face of the party, they can regenerate HP, UMD like a mofo (even when threatened) and they also have some pretty sweet CC abilities as well... not to mention the fact that they are one of the best classes for crafting.

Anyway, I am off topic. I just wanted to express my love of warlocks.