PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a gully dwarf

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-23, 12:53 PM
So, I have a guy who wants to play a gully dwarf, which im okay with, however we tend to stay away from homebrew due to...incidents with a power gamer in our group, SO my plan was to see if any of the small races could just be reskinned to be a gully dwarf. My first thought was stout halfling but that's just me assuming, I've got very little knowledge about gully dwarves all I know is they are small and stupid so if i could get some help id appreciate it

Edit: or maybe reskin goblin or kobold.

Naanomi
2017-09-23, 01:15 PM
The kobold racial grovel works well, but gully dwarves are strong not weak (+1 STR/+1 CON in 2e)... so Goblin reskin makes the best for me if you want to keep them small sized

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-23, 01:19 PM
The kobold racial grovel works well, but gully dwarves are strong not weak (+1 STR/+1 CON in 2e)... so Goblin reskin makes the best for me if you want to keep them small sized

I thought the same thing. -2 str kinda bums me out

MeeposFire
2017-09-23, 01:20 PM
Honestly I know you do not want to use homebrew but doing it for a subrace would probably work out better. Just make it a dwarf subrace which gives you the kobold grovel ability and a +1 bonus to an ability score like str or dex (which ever fits them best it has been a REALLY long time since I have seen a gully dwarf in play). If not quite enough maybe give prof in deception or persuasion (whether they are lying to get stuff or trying to legitimately playing on your sympathy).

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-23, 01:22 PM
Honestly I know you do not want to use homebrew but doing it for a subrace would probably work out better. Just make it a dwarf subrace which gives you the kobold grovel ability and a +1 bonus to an ability score like str or dex (which ever fits them best it has been a REALLY long time since I have seen a gully dwarf in play). If not quite enough maybe give prof in deception or persuasion (whether they are lying to get stuff or trying to legitimately playing on your sympathy).

Like i said, homebrew doesn't really function in our group sadly

Naanomi
2017-09-23, 01:43 PM
Gully Dwarves are size small, and no existing subrace has a size change. In 3e it looks like they made them a +DEX/+CON race so I'm even more confident that Goblin is the way to go

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-23, 07:00 PM
Gully Dwarves are size small, and no existing subrace has a size change. In 3e it looks like they made them a +DEX/+CON race so I'm even more confident that Goblin is the way to go

Okay, I'll probably reskin the goblins then

Edit: I would have chosen stout halflings but they get lucky which im I'm not sure I want them to have

JellyPooga
2017-09-23, 07:30 PM
Stout Halfling seems right to me; bonus Con and resistance to poison, combined with small size and an uncanny ability to survive in the harshest conditions (Halfling Lucky)...it just adds up. Point buy yourself an above average Strength at the cost of dumping Charisma and you're good to go.

Hrugner
2017-09-23, 07:54 PM
I agree with the stout halfling and simply buying stats appropriate.

Make a Gully Dwarf customized background: persuasion, survival, 2 from either gaming sets or musical instruments, and folk hero's rustic hospitality reskinned as begging.

Dappershire
2017-09-24, 02:53 AM
Wait, Aghar had + at all? I'd figure it would be - across the board.

the_brazenburn
2017-09-25, 09:51 AM
A gully dwarf would seem to resemble a duergar with -2 Int, no invisibility/giant size/other magic features. Just reskin it and change the fluff.