PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gold left to start.....

Chester
2017-09-23, 01:54 PM
Hello.

I've started my new character (Changeling rogue 1 / Beguiler 2), but I have an opportunity to spend the rest of my gold before the next game. Apart from the mundane (MW thieves kit, weapons, etc.) I purchased a mithril shirt and shiftweave (group agreed I can wear the armor under the clothing).

I have just under 1,000 gold left to spend. Is there any item you'd recommend, or should I hold on to it and save up for later?

Blackhawk748
2017-09-23, 03:06 PM
Healing Belt is always nice

Demidos
2017-09-23, 03:27 PM
I'd always recommend Talisman of the Disk to go with that belt of healing. Only about 500 gp for a at-will force disk that can carry your stuff, your allies, a decoy....
Endless uses, dirt cheap.

Kayblis
2017-09-23, 04:51 PM
The Lesser Vigor Wand is a must-have for any group without a dedicated healer. It's 750gp for 50 charges of 11 HP healed(1 HP per turn through 11 turns). It's more of a party expenditure, so everyone can pay part of it. In a group of 4, that's less than 200gp for up to 550 HP healed for the group.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-23, 05:28 PM
I like having a travelling cloak. Food, water, shelter, permanent endure elements. 1200 gp.

tstewt1921
2017-09-23, 05:36 PM
I agree with most of the above, low cost healing item or survival item.

Elkad
2017-09-23, 07:46 PM
Healing Belt. A steal at 750gp.
Cloak/Vest of Resistance. 1000gp.
Pearl of Power (1st level). 1000gp.
Your portion of a party healing/vigor wand.

Or cruise through the cheap stuff lists and pick some things. If you don't have storage yet and weight is a problem, you might save most of the gold for your Handy Haversack first (2000gp)

Lists.
Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445114-quot-Bunko-s-Bargain-Basement-Magic-Items-That-Are-a-Steal!-quot-(from-Wizards-forum))
Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook))
Dark's Utility Belt (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4400)

Feantar
2017-09-23, 08:09 PM
All good suggestions, yet everyone forgot the most fundamental one. Towels.

A towel is about the most massively useful thing an aspiring adventurer can have. Partly because it has great practical value. :smalltongue:

Humour aside, I've found that in low levels, the Whip Feather Token is somewhat useful - 500 gp. The Tree[400 gp] might be useful too, depending on the activation - if it's a command word, just set it under a coming enemy, speak it and well ... shish-kebab (Disclaimer: Feather tokens are not for everyone; Consult your DM before use).

Finally, especially if you have UMD, utility scrolls are cheap.

Chester
2017-09-24, 03:15 PM
If you don't have storage yet and weight is a problem, you might save most of the gold for your Handy Haversack first (2000gp)

Strength was my dump stat. So, yes.

Finally, especially if you have UMD, utility scrolls are cheap.

Good idea!

Silva Stormrage
2017-09-24, 03:41 PM
Another option are some really cheap but useful alchemical items.

Dustshell grenades (Short range touch attack for no saving throw blindness for a few rounds) 10gp/shot. From Oriental Adventures
Shape sand (Wisdom check to make any non magical item you can reasonably creating with shape shifting sand that acts as any non magical material... It's pretty ridiculous) 100gp. From Sandstorm.