PDA

View Full Version : Bonus/Reward System 3.5....lots of rambling.....sorry!

tstewt1921
2017-09-23, 05:30 PM
So I'm running a game for my group, and I have cut off a lot of the characters are able to do/feats they can take/abilities/classes they can use. Even the Cleric for a part of the first session didn't have access to some of his magic as he didn't have a focus. The story line has them playing the last living dragons.

So throughout the first session those that had an intelligence of 11 or higher had the opportunity to learn goblin as that is the first creature they ran into. Some experimented further in their magic once they obtained a focus. And they all ended up learning common by the end of the session by the teachings of a druid living in the woods outside the mountains they were in.

I plan on doing more like the above, letting them spend downtime to learn things, giving rewards along the lines of resistances (sit at the peak of a mountain mostly naked for several hours etc.) or learning feats if they spend a few days learning from someone that has taught them maybe for a price.

My question what do you think of a reward system like this along with the obvious gold and goods they are able to get? Anything you think should be added with it or any ideas of other stuff they could attempt to learn? Most of the characters playing have not planned out where they are taking their character, so as someone comes up with an idea, I'm sticking a plot point or item such as a wizards book that will help them swap classes or learn what they want.

ATHATH
2017-09-23, 05:38 PM
Why are you using D&D for this and not, say, a point-buy-based system?

tstewt1921
2017-09-23, 05:48 PM
Why are you using D&D for this and not, say, a point-buy-based system?

It's the system they chose, I just put a spin on it, I'm honestly also more comfortable in this system as well.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-23, 07:25 PM
Mutants and Masterminds, especially 1 and 2, are very similar to DND and would work out nicely.

If you want to stay in DND I would recommend give them some scaling passive bonuses so they can hunt for, use, and enjoy more esoteric mahic items without getting their butt kicked because the designers assumed they would have them.

ATHATH
2017-09-23, 09:24 PM
Mutants and Masterminds, especially 1 and 2, are very similar to DND and would work out nicely.

If you want to stay in DND I would recommend give them some scaling passive bonuses so they can hunt for, use, and enjoy more esoteric mahic items without getting their butt kicked because the designers assumed they would have them.
Seconding switching to/trying a game of M&M; I've heard it's a great system.

tstewt1921
2017-09-24, 12:25 PM
They are keeping all the class bonuses they normally get, the only thing I'm limiting is the speed at which they learn skills/feats.

Mutants and Masterminds is not what I'm looking for, they aren't getting super powers or anything to that extent.

I guess I can't really explain what I'm doing for them that well lol.