PDA

View Full Version : What options from Unearthed Arcana are your favorite?

GM_3826
2017-09-23, 07:01 PM
Knowing that Xanathar's Guide to Everything is coming soon, I thought that I'd make this topic.

Personally speaking, my favorite character options are the Eladrin, College of Whispers, Way of the Kensei, and Oath of Redemption, at least based on fluff. Not really sure about the mechanics. None of the feats, spells, or variant rules really caught my eye. And yes, some of the options that have been released in Unearthed Arcana are unlikely to be part of Xanathar's Guide to Everything, but I do not see why we cannot discuss them anyway.

vasharanpaladin
2017-09-23, 07:24 PM
Oath of Conquest, Hexblade patron, and the improved Ranger.

I've been favoring the Plane Shift articles more, though.

Hrugner
2017-09-23, 08:06 PM
Forge Cleric, Hexblade, Mystic.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-23, 08:11 PM
Celestial patron for warlock

Raven Queen

Revised Ranger

DracoKnight
2017-09-23, 08:14 PM
Personally, and in no particular order:

Hexblade, Stone Sorcerer, Phoenix Sorcerer, Forge Cleric, Revised Beast Master, the Horizon Walker, Soul Knife Mystic (although I think that this needs a lot of work), the Inquisitive Rogue, Way of the Kensei, Warforged (I know a lot of people find them lackluster, because they are, but it's still fun to play a fantasy robot).

These are just the options where I immediately went: "I can think of about a dozen character concepts for this."

EDIT: Celestial Warlock and Drunken Monk are pretty fun, too.

Asmotherion
2017-09-23, 08:30 PM
1. Hexblade Warlock
2. Shadow Sorcerer
3. Undying Light Warlock
4. Stone Sorcerer
5. Path of the Storm Herald Barbarian
6. Wizard Artificer (NOT Artificer as a class)
7. Raven Queen Warlock

M Placeholder
2017-09-24, 08:14 AM
The Mystic Psion. Now I can finally play a Gnomad. The versatility and the fun of manifesting powers that allow you to see a bad guys brains flow out of his tearducts, or to grow a nice pair of wings is also a big plus.

Sariel Vailo
2017-09-24, 08:27 AM
Ahem gonna catch some flak right now.
Lore wizards
Kensai
Spells
Extra feats
Additional rules for gambling

Jrocc
2017-09-24, 09:06 AM
I know a lot of people would disagree, but I’ve been playing with the Artificer and finding it really fun! It does need some work, but overall it is an enjoyable class

Pex
2017-09-24, 09:17 AM
Mystic

I can accept changes might be needed, but it was the only thing I've read that made me want to play it. Other things were nice and I may want to try them one day, but Mystic I wanted to play now!

ghost_warlock
2017-09-24, 09:24 AM
Definitely the hexblade by a large margin. I'm playing hexblades in two of the three 5e campaigns I'm involved in right now. Mechanically, I have a few annoyances with it, but it's still fun to play. Pretty sure they're going to **** it up when they revise it to make it official so I'm having fun with it while I can.

Theurge wizard is a blast with the tempest domain (lots more lightning and thunder spells on a wizard than a cleric). I'm currently using it to relive the "glory days" of 4e when my warforged wizard flew around and screamed things to death. I wish the current UA version of the warforged was mechanically better for the build, but I found ways to make it work well enough.

I often find myself having to remind myself that the Prodigy feat is only available to humans and half-elves. I honestly think the Diplomat feat is overpowered since it amounts to at-will charm person without a drawback when it ends, but it can make for a lot of fun situations when I'm trying to keep conversations going long enough for it to trigger. Honestly, I like almost all of the feats that give expertise in a skill - it's generally worth it even if the secondary benefits of the feat are kind of lackluster.

Catullus64
2017-09-24, 09:52 AM
Favorite subclasses, in order: Inquisitive Rogue, Kensei Monk, Arcane Archer Fighter (Revised), Favored Soul Sorcerer, Way of Tranquility Monk, Path of the Zealot Barbarian, College of Whispers Bard, Circle of Dreams Druid, Oath of Redemption Paladin.

Mystic Class: Nomad and Awakened, the rest were a bit meh.

Favorite Feats: Historian, Orcish Fury, Dragon Fear, Diplomat, Wood Elf Magic, Blade Mastery

Favorite Spells: Ceremony, Chaos Bolt, Zephyr Strike, Conjure Demon X spells.

Favorite Races: Abyssal Tiefling, Eladrin

Favorite Variant Rules: Downtime and Complex Traps

Shoutout to the new Warlock Invocations, Tomb of Levistus, Kiss of Mephistopheles, Chronicle of the Raven Queen, Curse Bringer, Aspect of the Moon, and Gaze of Khirad being my favorites.

Xetheral
2017-09-24, 10:27 AM
Hexblade, Eldritch Smite, Maddening Hex, Favored Soul (1st and 2nd iterations--I dislike the 3rd), Skill Feats, Lore Wizard (with caveats)

JumboWheat01
2017-09-24, 10:47 AM
The College of Satire bard is by far my favorite. There's just something about it, it strikes me as a fun thing to play. I should give it a try with the new Eladrin that just came out (which I also quite like.)

I rather like all the elemental origins for sorcerers. They could do with more love.

Oh, I just remembered, I really like the Circle of Dreams for Druids. Reminds me of WoW's Restoration Druids.

Thunderbird
2017-09-24, 10:50 AM
I really enjoyed the Forge Domain Cleric and the Raven Queen Warlock.
I also liked Hexblade, although I have yet to play one.

Edit: I also found very interesting the College of Swords Bard, definitely going to play one in the future.

Mortheim
2017-09-24, 11:25 AM
1) Revised Ranger;
2) Sorcerer (Stone and Phoenix);
3) Sentinel Ranger;
4) Hexblade;
5) Raven Queen;
6) Forge Domain;

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-09-24, 12:03 PM
I have a soft spot for the old Scout Fighter. It's a bit mechanically simplistic, but it's still the best way to do a non-magical Ranger.

Ixidor92
2017-09-24, 12:10 PM
Personally love the skill feats and racial feats that were added in UA. Especially after going through the possibilities with friends

mephnick
2017-09-24, 01:12 PM
All the classes are nice, but the skill feats are the only thing the game actually needed, so that's my choice.

Potato_Priest
2017-09-24, 02:37 PM
I really like all of the barbarian, cleric, ranger, and Druid subclass options and the feats for races and skills.

I like most of the warlock stuff as well.

Mystic is too complicated for me to evaluate without seeing in play, but I think it looks alright.

Sorlock Master
2017-09-24, 02:59 PM
Hexblade, skill feats, artificer, and inquisitive rogue.

Artifacer because I want an Arcane Trapper.

Inquisitive because Sherlock Holmes is awesome.

Hexblade because i like to hit things with my sword before I snatch the life out of them.

Findulidas
2017-09-24, 03:08 PM
The expertise feats. They are excellent for RP reasons and brawny makes it much easier to make a grappler.

miburo
2017-09-24, 03:47 PM
I love the Stone Sorcerer--5e Swordmage for the win! I really hope it makes it into Xenathar's, with some balancing fixes.

Eldritch Smite gives the Bladelock some more teeth. I want to like Hexblade but I think it still favors Elritch Blast users too much, it does make a great dip for the Stone Sorc though :smallbiggrin:

I like the Arcane Archer concept although it needs a bit more revising (IMO remove the +1 to attack and damage, give Int mod/short rest use of the arcane shots, and make the arcane shot damage scale a bit more smoothly over the level progression).

The new Eladrin season-emotion flavor is awesome although it's straight up more powerful than other Elf subraces. Honestly just use the DMG Eladrin with the new emotions flavor and it's good to go.

Finally, Revised Way of the Kensei because it's basically Samurai Jack, although I think it needs a bit more iteration on the melee abilities.

Spiritchaser
2017-09-24, 04:14 PM
Hexblade patron is great, as are the new invocations
Racial and skill feats are great, minor tweaks notwithstanding
Conceptually and theoretically the stone sorcerer, but I have not seen a live one, and I don't actually expect it would play like a sorcerer... so I'll just have to wait and see.

Eric Diaz
2017-09-24, 04:30 PM
Skill/expertise feats, the game needs 'em.

Thunderbird
2017-09-24, 04:33 PM

I liked those as well, hope they make it to Xanathar's Guide. They can be helpful to many character concepts, I think.

MrStabby
2017-09-24, 04:38 PM

So skills in feats I am fine with. Expertise in feats I would never allow at my table - steps too much on the toes of classes for whom it is a special feature.

Most used UA for me is the traps one. The ability to make a really fun encounter with a room is great and it keeps the players on edge.

Eric Diaz
2017-09-24, 04:51 PM
So skills in feats I am fine with. Expertise in feats I would never allow at my table - steps too much on the toes of classes for whom it is a special feature.

I see what you mean in theory, but I don't see it in practice.

A thief gets 4 expertises without feats... I don't see a scenario where the thief would feel devalued... Would the dex fighter pick get stealth or thieves tool expertise with a thief in the party? At the cost of a feat? For what reason?

If he picks acrobatics, why would it bother the thief? OTOH, you can have a wizard that beats the arcane trickster in arcana... again, I don't see the problem. There is probably a good example somewhere, but I can't think of any.

mephnick
2017-09-24, 06:34 PM
Hell as a rogue I wish someone else could get expertise in stealth. You can pull off tons of things as a team opposed to alone.

JerryNYG
2017-09-24, 06:38 PM
Hexblade is amazing!!!

SmokingSkull
2017-09-24, 09:29 PM
Monster Hunter Fighter, it has it all: damage, accuracy, utility and enough flavor to really bring the concept to life.

Eric Diaz
2017-09-24, 10:30 PM
Monster Hunter Fighter, it has it all: damage, accuracy, utility and enough flavor to really bring the concept to life.

IIRC this is in Curse of Strahd already? (I don't know, I haven't read the book)

DracoKnight
2017-09-25, 01:54 AM
IIRC this is in Curse of Strahd already? (I don't know, I haven't read the book)

No. It was released in Unearthed Arcana to coincide with the release of CoS. They later updated it to be the Monster Slayer Ranger. (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf)

Ogre Mage
2017-09-25, 02:37 AM
Forge Domain Cleric, Favored Soul Sorcerer, Mystic.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-25, 08:59 AM
Artificer and the Revised Ranger

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-25, 09:53 AM
I really enjoyed the Forge Domain Cleric and the Raven Queen Warlock.
I also liked Hexblade, although I have yet to play one.

Edit: I also found very interesting the College of Swords Bard, definitely going to play one in the future.

I'm playing a revised College of Swords Bard and it's dope as hell. I'm playing him as the halfelf son of a bladesinger and who uses the college of swords to emulate the bladesinger(humming instead of singing). I have given it a nature and fey bent to the class. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. DM rolled on a loot table two sessions ago and came out with a flametongue sword which he made a rapier for me and all of the sudden I am insanely powerful now. I plan on taking fire shield and spiritual guardians(reflavored nature/fey) for my magical secrets. Overall I really like this class more than almost any other gish I have played(stone sorcerer is right up there with it). I highly recommend it.

jaappleton
2017-09-25, 10:27 AM
As far as 'I like this, its ready to go, no changes needed, this is an excellent archetype', the answer is the Forge Cleric.

As far as, 'Finally, a massive hole has been fixed, this is awesome!', the answer is Hexblade.

pdegan2814
2017-09-25, 12:53 PM
The Revised Ranger is a much improved version of the class, I can't wait for it to become official. The Artificer is also quite interesting, I'd really like to play one someday.

As for the other class options, there were a lot of interesting options published. Ancestral Guardian and Storm Herald look like really fun Barbarian choices, but enough to give up that lovely lovely Bear Totem? Tough call :) All three Cleric domains look cool, I'm not a big Bard or Druid guy so I don't have much to say about them. Those Fighter options though, GIMME. Especially the two archery-focused subclasses, yum! Drunken Monk looks fun, definitely. Not sure I'd try any of the new Paladin choices, I prefer the ones we have already. Along with the new Ranger, Primeval Guardian looks intriguing. The Rogue version of the Scout subclass looks right up my alley. Both Stone and Sea Sorcerer are options I'm gonna have to try someday. The Wizard choices are meh to me. But Warlocks are my jam, yo. And I love love LOVE some of the new options they created. I'm playing a Raven Queen Warlock right now, and I love it. I dig both the mechanics of the subclass as well as the flavor(it doesn't hurt that my DM cracks me up when she roleplays the Raven companion). The reworked Celestial patron looks like lots of fun too. My only complaint is I wish they hadn't removed the Patron restrictions from the new Invocations, I liked the idea of each Patron offering some unique choices.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-25, 12:56 PM
I have a soft spot for the old Scout Fighter. It's a bit mechanically simplistic, but it's still the best way to do a non-magical Ranger.

Me too. I't pretty easy to overlook, but over time it's become my favorite fighter.

alchahest
2017-09-25, 01:08 PM
things I like:

Forge Cleric - Perfect in every way

Hexblade - while it still could use a bit of tweaking I really like where it's headed

Oath of Conquest Paladin - while some people seem to think fear and total martial victory are inherently evil, I think this is a great option for a high charisma paladin to have some different ways of engaging the mechanics than just spells and smites

Skill Feats - one small addition I think I'd put in, and this is something I've talked about with my DM quite a bit - I really like skill feats, they are a great way to show dedication to a thing (such as a fighter with good investigation skills) but we think limiting it to character level 4+ so it can't be something you start with as a variant human helps the rogue keep thier dominance - they get expertise sooner, and for more skills, and can take skill feats as well, so they will always have their advantage.

Seclora
2017-09-26, 12:15 AM
I like the Raven Queen Warlock Patron, which I use for Odin. The Mystic and Artificer classes, both of which are fun and flavorful. The Chaos Bolt spell is pretty neat at midlevels, chaining for decent damage. I like the feats for skills, in general; some of the skills aren't all that interesting. Druid of the Shepherd, Kensai, and dervish bard are also all pretty neat.

miburo
2017-09-26, 01:26 PM

+1 for this one. The new Rogue Scout isn't bad at all, but Fighter Scout makes for a very uncomplicated spell-less ranger. Maybe there's a different name they could use for the Fighter Scout?

Silkensword
2017-09-26, 01:33 PM
Celestial Patron, hands down!

DracoKnight
2017-09-26, 02:23 PM
+1 for this one. The new Rogue Scout isn't bad at all, but Fighter Scout makes for a very uncomplicated spell-less ranger. Maybe there's a different name they could use for the Fighter Scout?

It's called the "Forester" in my games, FWIW.

jaappleton
2017-09-26, 02:43 PM
Celestial Patron, hands down!

Here's my only issue with Celestial.

I love the healing dice. I think it'd be a great Bladelock. I really enjoy the flavor of it.

My issue is the lv6 ability; it only impacts one enemy hit by the attack. This is an anomaly, when you consider similar abilities (Dragon Sorc) adds the flat +Spellcasting Modifier damage to anyone impacted by the spell.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-26, 04:28 PM
It's called the "Forester" in my games, FWIW.

I like it.

Twigwit
2017-09-26, 04:28 PM
I feel I may get lynched for this, but I've highly enjoyed playing a Nomad Mystic. As a long time Wizard and Rogue player it's a lot of fun to have a class that feels like a mix of both.

jaappleton
2017-09-26, 05:16 PM
I feel I may get lynched for this, but I've highly enjoyed playing a Nomad Mystic. As a long time Wizard and Rogue player it's a lot of fun to have a class that feels like a mix of both.

I love a lot of what the Mystic has going on.

I do wish it got divided into two classes. One more 'martial', with Immortal, Soul Knife and Nomad. The other more 'caster', with Awakened, Wu-Jen and Avatar.

Having it all lumped into one is... daunting, to be honest.

I am super excited for all the new archetypes for other classes that will come out of this, like the Mystic version of the Eldritch Knight!

GM_3826
2017-09-26, 05:29 PM
I love a lot of what the Mystic has going on.

I do wish it got divided into two classes. One more 'martial', with Immortal, Soul Knife and Nomad. The other more 'caster', with Awakened, Wu-Jen and Avatar.

Having it all lumped into one is... daunting, to be honest.

I am super excited for all the new archetypes for other classes that will come out of this, like the Mystic version of the Eldritch Knight!

Yeah, I agree completely. I dislike Mystic as it is now because it tries to do too much with one class. Separating it into two classes would overall make the Mystic feel a lot more cohesive. Right now it's just a bunch of separate ideas glued together, both literally (as it's supposed to be a combination of Psion/Psionicist and all of the other psionic classes throughout the years, of which there have been many) and figuratively.

rbstr
2017-09-26, 06:46 PM
Here's my only issue with Celestial.

I love the healing dice. I think it'd be a great Bladelock. I really enjoy the flavor of it.

My issue is the lv6 ability; it only impacts one enemy hit by the attack. This is an anomaly, when you consider similar abilities (Dragon Sorc) adds the flat +Spellcasting Modifier damage to anyone impacted by the spell.

Yeah I really dig it a lot except for that level 6 feature. It should either really empower Sacred Flame to compete with agonizing EB or be a weaker damage buff that applies to bladelocks as well as the caster options.
In the former case it basically saves you a cantrip and an invocation pick.
It doesn't need to be super strong in the latter case...the rest of the features are very strong already.
Either way it works more readily with all styles of play.

Scathain
2017-09-26, 09:14 PM

So seconded! The fluff is perfectly represented in the mechanics, and its superiority dice functions are dissimilar enough to BM to make it feel unique.

I actually love a lot of the old UA: Monster Hunter Fighter, Shadow Sorcerer, That Old Black Magic.

Silkensword
2017-09-26, 09:35 PM
Yeah I really dig it a lot except for that level 6 feature. It should either really empower Sacred Flame to compete with agonizing EB or be a weaker damage buff that applies to bladelocks as well as the caster options.
In the former case it basically saves you a cantrip and an invocation pick.
It doesn't need to be super strong in the latter case...the rest of the features are very strong already.
Either way it works more readily with all styles of play.

Oh really! I found it really powerful, but given that two people have said it's a bit lackluster already, i miiiight just ask my DM to homebrew the damage to apply to all fire and radiant damage... :smallbiggrin:

MeeposFire
2017-09-26, 09:55 PM
I know a lot of people would disagree, but I’ve been playing with the Artificer and finding it really fun! It does need some work, but overall it is an enjoyable class

Actually I think it is overall pretty sweet though I agree it does need some changes.

I think it should be like the ranger and paladin and be a 1/2 caster and it should also have cantrips (thematic ones of course). I also eliminated the few dead levels (there should not be any). The artificer should also be able to use any item and I gave them some other minor bonus abilities. Also since I did play a bunch of Eberron I did make the default fluff for the thunder cannon into a thunder Rod. I could either go with magic charges as the "ammo" or just not bother with the charges at all and just use it like a fancy unlimited wand since realy I have not seen the ammo come up at all in a game.

However with all that said most of the class was unchanged and it has been pretty sweet.

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-27, 07:36 AM

I think the idea of the nomad was easily the best designed part of the mystic by far. It has useful abilities and unique mechanics and right now is the only mystic I have any plans to play

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-27, 08:15 AM
Actually I think it is overall pretty sweet though I agree it does need some changes.

I think it should be like the ranger and paladin and be a 1/2 caster and it should also have cantrips (thematic ones of course). I also eliminated the few dead levels (there should not be any). The artificer should also be able to use any item and I gave them some other minor bonus abilities. Also since I did play a bunch of Eberron I did make the default fluff for the thunder cannon into a thunder Rod. I could either go with magic charges as the "ammo" or just not bother with the charges at all and just use it like a fancy unlimited wand since realy I have not seen the ammo come up at all in a game.

However with all that said most of the class was unchanged and it has been pretty sweet.

Yeah, the Artificer is one of those UA classes that is sooooo close to what it should be, but its actual mechanics just leave it feeling lacking. It could use some cantrips, to be sure (especially thematic ones), the spell list needs to be expanded a bit to have more useful utility spells, the magic items list of stuff they can create needs to be a bit rebalanced (you can use your class feature to make an item that only has a few uses, or one that never gets used up...I wonder which I should chose), and some of the features for both need more options and need to scale better (the non-damaging potions should scale a bit in size, duration, impact, and/or utility; thunder cannon should allow you to change up the damage type over a long rest or something). It's one of those classes that just needs a few tweaks to be really fun, even if it's not the best at anything.

But my list of UA class/sub-classes that I really like:

Revised Ranger (though I do think it needs a few tweaks before it goes live)
Raven Queen
Forge Cleric
Mystic (again, needs some tweaks)
Artificer
Shadow Sorc
College of Swords Bard (love the flavor, but needs some serious tweaks)

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-27, 08:37 AM
Yeah, the Artificer is one of those UA classes that is sooooo close to what it should be, but its actual mechanics just leave it feeling lacking. It could use some cantrips, to be sure (especially thematic ones), the spell list needs to be expanded a bit to have more useful utility spells, the magic items list of stuff they can create needs to be a bit rebalanced (you can use your class feature to make an item that only has a few uses, or one that never gets used up...I wonder which I should chose), and some of the features for both need more options and need to scale better (the non-damaging potions should scale a bit in size, duration, impact, and/or utility; thunder cannon should allow you to change up the damage type over a long rest or something). It's one of those classes that just needs a few tweaks to be really fun, even if it's not the best at anything.

But my list of UA class/sub-classes that I really like:

Revised Ranger (though I do think it needs a few tweaks before it goes live)
Raven Queen
Forge Cleric
Mystic (again, needs some tweaks)
Artificer
Shadow Sorc
College of Swords Bard (love the flavor, but needs some serious tweaks)

What specifically about the College of Swords Bard do you think needs tweaking as someone currently playing one I think it's a pretty awesome class.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-27, 08:55 AM
What specifically about the College of Swords Bard do you think needs tweaking as someone currently playing one I think it's a pretty awesome class.

The flourishes not being used by using the "Attack" action just limits interactions with other classes' features. AND it gets in the way of using Two-Weapon Fighting, which means that there is somewhat of a trap option within the subclass, since you can choose the two-weapon fighting style. The extra attack feature only being used when you use the flourish just feels clunky as well (meaning that if you're two-weapon fighting, you can still only get two attacks total).

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-27, 09:06 AM
The flourishes not being used by using the "Attack" action just limits interactions with other classes' features. AND it gets in the way of using Two-Weapon Fighting, which means that there is somewhat of a trap option within the subclass, since you can choose the two-weapon fighting style. The extra attack feature only being used when you use the flourish just feels clunky as well (meaning that if you're two-weapon fighting, you can still only get two attacks total).

I think I kind of just ignored that two weapon fighting was a thing. I'm okay with the flourishes not being an attack action because A) you get the extra movement for doing it and B) the flourish maneuvers no longer require a bonus action leaving you free to do other things which make a rogue multiclass much more attractive.

rbstr
2017-09-27, 09:15 AM
I don't really get the desire to add cantrips to the Artificer except to be cheesy with the infuse magic feature. Their main archetype features are both ranged at-will damage options with better than cantrip scaling.

So you want to give them Mending and Prestidigitation or what?

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-27, 09:20 AM
I think I kind of just ignored that two weapon fighting was a thing. I'm okay with the flourishes not being an attack action because A) you get the extra movement for doing it and B) the flourish maneuvers no longer require a bonus action leaving you free to do other things which make a rogue multiclass much more attractive.

Oh don't get me wrong, it can still work wonderfully, but the trap option is definitely there if you don't know what you're doing. And it just means some multiclass options don't work (even if they'd be tough to pull of anyways). For instance, a CoS Bard/Rogue is great. But a CoS Bard/Monk would lose the bonus action attack, or the ability to use Flurry of Blows on a round in which you flourish. Flourish works with some Battlemaster Maneuvers, but not others. It just makes things really complicated in weird spots.

Dudewithknives
2017-09-27, 09:23 AM
I both love and hate the Hexblade.

Pro:

It makes it where a Pact of the blade warlock is more feasible.
It gives them some MUCH needed defensive abilities.
While the hound ability seems out of place the rest of the abilities are good.
Their level 10 and 14 abilities are crazy.

Con:
You thought it was a problem before with people taking 2 levels of warlock and then going Paladin/Bard/Sorcerer or even rogue? Now they can get their casting stat for attack and damage, and bard/sorcerer can get medium armor and shields on top of that and get EB as a ranged option, AND can 1 per rest curse when they need it? This is just more reason people will dip 2/3 warlock and leave.

There is 0% chance it ever sees print like it is in the UA anyway. Expect an overhaul of the warlock eventually, there is a reason that when they brought out Celestial Patron all the weapon invocations were gone, and certain wordings changed. When they update expect to see people have a flood of complaining.

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-27, 09:29 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, it can still work wonderfully, but the trap option is definitely there if you don't know what you're doing. And it just means some multiclass options don't work (even if they'd be tough to pull of anyways). For instance, a CoS Bard/Rogue is great. But a CoS Bard/Monk would lose the bonus action attack, or the ability to use Flurry of Blows on a round in which you flourish. Flourish works with some Battlemaster Maneuvers, but not others. It just makes things really complicated in weird spots.

That's a valid point I'm fine with it not working with Monk, but not working with all battlemaster manuvers is kind of annoying I agree. I think they should just remove two weapon fighting as well

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-27, 09:32 AM
I don't really get the desire to add cantrips to the Artificer except to be cheesy with the infuse magic feature. Their main archetype features are both ranged at-will damage options with better than cantrip scaling.

So you want to give them Mending and Prestidigitation or what?

For me, it's two things:

1) The other 1/3 caster sub-classes get cantrips, so why shouldn't a 1/3 caster class?

2) Their out-of-combat utility is somewhat diminished by the 1/3 caster progression, and general lack of non-combat features (somewhat mitigated if you craft the right magical items). Having some utility cantrips would help a bit. Things like Mending or Prestidigitation would be useful, but so would things like Minor Illusion, Light, Mage Hand, Friends, and Message would all be useful as well.

Their at-will options are just two or one, depending on sub-class, which can leave them feeling a bit boring in combat. I know that Martial characters have the same problem, but they usually have other tactical choices they are making. For Alchemists, it's just a matter of which potion they pull out of the pouch and throw, while staying back to avoid damage. And since they both use the target's Dex saving throw to save, it's not like you're even choosing much based on your enemy. Having more potion options might not hurt, especially combat tactical potions.

For Gunsmiths, you are basically attacking from level 1-2, and then using Thunder Monger from there on out unless you have your enemies lined up in a certain way (and are 9th/14th/17th level).

rbstr
2017-09-27, 10:12 AM
I both love and hate the Hexblade.

Yeah, I'm down with the concept but the low-level features are well beyond any of the other patron feature. Weapon and Armor proficiency and the Curse at level 1 is plenty. Cha-to-hit is too much on top.

I'd go one further and actually make it a true bladesinger/valor bard equivalent and do it without an eye to what boon is picked: give it extra attack as the level 6 feature like everyone else regardless of boon.

"Fixing" the blade boon on the other hand, to the extent it even really needs a "fix", shouldn't be done with a patron. If they decide the concept needs to be overhauled they can add new blade-only Invocations that are more powerful basically superseding what already exists.

Autocon
2017-09-27, 12:30 PM
As sub-optimal as it is, I really like the Archfey Bladelock's Moonbow option.

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-27, 01:11 PM

I was super sad that invocation was taken away. I would have loved for it to be expanded. I really wanted a Raven Queen bowlock. Something about the imagery was super fitting.

sightlessrealit
2017-09-27, 04:08 PM
Mystic is #1 so far. Raven Queen Warlock is #2. With Revised Ranger Deep Stalker coming up the rear.

Maxilian
2017-09-27, 04:17 PM
Well... My favorites?

-Rune Master (Will never see the light of day though T.T -loved the options given, and i really like when we get options that make more things useable -like the stone rune that made small dices blugeonion weapons relevant, also it was a great option for one or 2 lvls for anyone who wanted to do an Fire / earth / wind / ice Martial class)

-Artificer (I'm a fan of steampunk, so i love it, and i also love the ability to get pets, so the Mechanical servant is a huge plus for me)

-Mage Artificer (Was pretty good, not that good for the thematic of an Eberron Artificer, but the subclass was never bad, also it give me the option to use my favorite spell -Enlarge- with no concentration and that let it last 1d4 hours)

-Primeval Ranger (fun option, quite thematic and gives a more druidic feel to the ranger and not just range fighter with some spells)

-The whole UA that got 3 subclasses of non-savages (The Redemption paladin, tranquility monk, etc...), i love that thematic, sadly one was way too strong (Redemption Paladin and the other had some small tweaks that needed to be made -like asking a Monk to have good CHA, they are already extremely MAD don't make it worse!)

-The Mystic requires an honorable mention, i'm not that fan of the whole psionic thing (not that it bothers me much either), but i was not fan on how the class was shown (Too many things, not a pinch of organization, just the checking out the Mystic UA was painful, why does Wizard insist on making their UA and books so hard to read?), now... what i liked about it... It gives a lot of options for many playstyles, and i will always welcome with open arms anything that give my characters options.

Note: Raven Queen is the pact that i'm playing right now, is quite thematic, it doesn't really push you into the evil warlock thing or questionable one, and it just need minor tweeks to make it perfect for print (like letting the Raven get a little farther?)

pdegan2814
2017-09-27, 04:50 PM

I played a Moonbow Warlock in a one-shot and it was really fun. Maybe it's not the most "optimal" Warlock build, but I liked it. Plus, I loved just having a ranged Bladelock option.

Bgharcourt
2017-10-09, 10:01 AM

Totes agree with you. Found a rework of the class on DMs guild that adds a third subclass called Armorer. Let's you be DND Tony Stark with a suit of power armor. It also moves the mechanical servant to the gunsmith(called engineer), and changes the wondrous invention to be 1/day wizard spells.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-09, 10:44 AM
I played a Moonbow Warlock in a one-shot and it was really fun. Maybe it's not the most "optimal" Warlock build, but I liked it. Plus, I loved just having a ranged Bladelock option.

You can make a ranged warlock. All you need is a magic bow and an hour, then enjoy all the pact blade benefits on your brand new pact bow, no moon required

MinimanMidget
2017-10-09, 10:37 PM
In no particular order:

- Path of the Storm Herald
- Forge Domain
- Horizon Walker
- War Wizard
- Monster Slayer (Ranger, not Fighter)
- Some but not all of the feats, spells, and warlock invocations
- The Artificer. Yeah, it needs work, and it's not the Artificer of old, but I still like it.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-09, 10:55 PM
In no particular order:

- Path of the Storm Herald
- Forge Domain
- Horizon Walker
- War Wizard
- Monster Slayer (Ranger, not Fighter)
- Some but not all of the feats, spells, and warlock invocations
- The Artificer. Yeah, it needs work, and it's not the Artificer of old, but I still like it.

Literally all of those for me and:
-Mystic v3
-Hexblade
-Raven Queen
-Arcane Archer v2
-Revised Range
-College of Swords
-Kensei Monk v2
-Conquest Paladin

Coidzor
2017-10-09, 11:49 PM
I liked the Starter Spells a lot.

Revised Ranger wasn't bad.

Hexblade felt like a band-aid for poor implementation of the Bladelock initially, but it is somewhat neat.

CountWolfgang
2017-10-10, 12:22 AM
The one thing I REALLY want, and would be disappointed if not released, is the raven queen patron (as long as it wasn't changed). The celestial patron would also be great to have released. As for spells I'd like to see toll the dead, and hands of radiance, but I could live without those. More sorcerer subclasses would also be wonderful.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-10, 02:09 PM
The one thing I REALLY want, and would be disappointed if not released, is the raven queen patron (as long as it wasn't changed). The celestial patron would also be great to have released. As for spells I'd like to see toll the dead, and hands of radiance, but I could live without those. More sorcerer subclasses would also be wonderful.

You're in luck! The celestial patron will be released in xanathar's guide to anything. You can read about all the other confirmed subclasses in this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537799-Xanathar-s-Guide-Official-Videos-describing-Confirmed-Subclasses)