PDA

View Full Version : [D20M] Nonstandard advanced classes on equal footing to Shadow Slayer and Occultist

Luccan
2017-09-23, 10:26 PM
I'm looking for more magical D20 Modern advanced classes that are about equal to the Shadow Slayer and Occultist in terms of power. I know the Mesmerist and Spiritualist from D20 Past fit well (being basically the Psionic and Divine equivalents of the Occultist), but I wondered if there were more? They don't need to be Shadow Chaser setting specific, so long as they don't completely outclass any of those listed. Thanks for the help!

frogglesmash
2017-09-24, 03:41 AM
The core rulebook has the telepath, battlemind, mage, and acolyte, and Urban Arcana has a whole slew of advanced classes as well as a couple prestige classes. The urban Arcana Web enhancement also has a couple more options.

Luccan
2017-09-24, 12:59 PM
The core rulebook has the telepath, battlemind, mage, and acolyte, and Urban Arcana has a whole slew of advanced classes as well as a couple prestige classes. The urban Arcana Web enhancement also has a couple more options.

I know about the core book. Problem is, those classes significantly out class even the mesmerist (who actually gets powers instead of scrolls, items, and UMD or favored enemies). I'll look for the web enhancement, though. If I know Wizards, some of those have to be weaker than the other Urban Arcana advanced classes.

thorr-kan
2017-09-24, 08:31 PM
Apocalypse - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Critical Locations - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Cyberscape - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Dark Matter - Alchemist, Diabolist, Visionary prestige classes.
Future - Purifier.
Menace Manual - nothing.
Future Tech - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Past - nothing that really matches your criteria; you've noted Mesmerist, Shaman, Sorcerer, Spirtualist.
Urban Arcana - Arcane Arranger, Glamourist, Shadow Hunter, Shadowjack. Mystic if you want a spellcaster.
Urban Arcana web enhancement - Mastermind, Shapeshifter, Spellslinger prestige classes.
Weapons Locker - nothing.

The Game Mechanics Modern Magic (pdf's no longer on sale, hard copy still on Amazon) offers low level incantations and prestige/advanced classes to support it.

This link may be useful.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479685-Tiers-for-d20-modern-advanced-classes

ETA: Linkitylinklinklink.

Luccan
2017-09-24, 08:50 PM
Apocalypse - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Critical Locations - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Cyberscape - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Dark Matter - Alchemist, Diabolist, Visionary prestige classes.
Future - Purifier.
Menace Manual - nothing.
Future Tech - nothing that really matches your criteria.
Past - nothing that really matches your criteria; you've noted Mesmerist, Shaman, Sorcerer, Spirtualist.
Urban Arcana - Arcane Arranger, Glamourist, Shadow Hunter, Shadowjack. Mystic if you want a spellcaster.
Urban Arcana web enhancement - Mastermind, Shapeshifter, Spellslinger prestige classes.
Weapons Locker - nothing.

The Game Mechanics Modern Magic (pdf's no longer on sale, hard copy still on Amazon) offers low level incantations and prestige/advanced classes to support it.

This link may be useful.

Good list, I'll take a look. Aren't Shaman and Sorcerer basically just the Druid and, well, Sorcerer, to the Mage and Acolytes Wizard and Cleric?

Also, I think you may have forgotten the link.

thorr-kan
2017-09-24, 09:04 PM
Good list, I'll take a look. Aren't Shaman and Sorcerer basically just the Druid and, well, Sorcerer, to the Mage and Acolytes Wizard and Cleric?

Also, I think you may have forgotten the link.
<Jedi Mind Trick>I dunno what you're talking about. <\Jedi Mind Trick>

Yah, link added.

Yah, all spellcasting in d20 Modern is advanced classes. And I like that.
Mage=Wizard
Sorcerer=Sorcerer
Shaman=Druid
Acolyte=Cleric
Mystic=Favored Soul

Luccan
2017-09-24, 09:21 PM
<Jedi Mind Trick>I dunno what you're talking about. <\Jedi Mind Trick>

Yah, link added.

Yah, all spellcasting in d20 Modern is advanced classes. And I like that.
Mage=Wizard
Sorcerer=Sorcerer
Shaman=Druid
Acolyte=Cleric
Mystic=Favored Soul

Oh yeah, me too. I've always wanted to do a low fantasy game with the d20 base classes and these less powerful regular D&D classes as what your character builds up too.

thorr-kan
2017-09-25, 02:25 PM
Oh yeah, me too. I've always wanted to do a low fantasy game with the d20 base classes and these less powerful regular D&D classes as what your character builds up too.
In my head, there were two more d20 Modern supplements released:
d20 Ancients (PLs 0-2)
d20 Fantasy

Ashtagon
2017-09-25, 02:38 PM
In my head, there were two more d20 Modern supplements released:
d20 Ancients (PLs 0-2)
d20 Fantasy

A lot of the stuff for fantasy was covered in d20ua and d20p. Certainly, equipment, monsters, and classes are covered.

For an Ancients supplement, perhaps pull some stuff from Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas books for advanced classes. Other than that, add some paragraphs to handle stone/bone/bronze/what-have-you materials.

Luccan
2017-09-25, 03:13 PM
A lot of the stuff for fantasy was covered in d20ua and d20p. Certainly, equipment, monsters, and classes are covered.

For an Ancients supplement, perhaps pull some stuff from Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas books for advanced classes. Other than that, add some paragraphs to handle stone/bone/bronze/what-have-you materials.

I can at least agree with the first part. All you have to do is remove any modern type spells (I think Mage gets one that's essentially Mount but with a car, for instance) and switch them for something more appropriate. For more period appropriate equipment, you can rip what you need from D&D, probably.

I don't know anything about Green Ronin.