PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e Help with finding enemies for the PCs.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-09-24, 04:09 AM
Hello guys,

Yesterday I played as a GM for the first time and I my party just kill all the enemies in one or two actions(I did gave them one high hp enemy but he was disabled all the fight and just made an annoying fight because all the PCs could do was simply attack for 6 rounds).

I am looking for some enemies for 3 ECL 3 PCs that will have high reflex save or high reach or extra legs for anti knockdown so not all the fights will be the same.

and I will like some help with understanding how much low CR enemies I can pot in one fight without making it to hard.

Westhart
2017-09-24, 06:51 AM
If you could, what does the party consist of? Somethings that would be a challenge for barbarian et all don't hold so well with a wizard...

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-24, 07:17 AM
1) Add more enemies.
2) Add enemies with ranged attacks. Ranged attackers like being prone.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-09-24, 09:50 AM
If you could, what does the party consist of? Somethings that would be a challenge for barbarian et all don't hold so well with a wizard...
We have a:
Dragonfire Adapt Draconic Tabbit(Entangling Breath).
Draconic Elan Erudit(the Psion stuff).
Half-Minutor Human Fighter(the only new guy).

They mad all the troubles at level 1, we are in the middle of "Barrow of the Forgotten King" and the only one that gave them troubles was the choker because he roll 17-19 on his reflex 8 times in a row

1) Add more enemies.
2) Add enemies with ranged attacks. Ranged attackers like being prone.
1) I am asking you which enemies will work, I am GMing for the first time and don't have the knowledge and experience to know what will work.
2) great idea.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-24, 11:01 AM
1) I am asking you which enemies will work, I am GMing for the first time and don't have the knowledge and experience to know what will work.
I know, I mean: just add more of the same. If the module says 8 skeletons, make it 12. Or add one or two HD to each skeleton. Make sure they are spread out a bit, so you don't lose all of them to one breath weapon. You can play them in groups of 4 (same initiative, move together etc.), to cut down on the number of turns.

In addition, use some BFC effects against the party. For example, get a couple of ogres (maybe skeletonized) to trip the party, while a few tricky kobolds use tripwires and smokesticks to provide additional obstacles, concealment, and ranged attacks (they can randomly shoot shortbows into the room, because the arrows won't hurt skeletons).

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-09-24, 12:32 PM
I know, I mean: just add more of the same. If the module says 8 skeletons, make it 12. Or add one or two HD to each skeleton. Make sure they are spread out a bit, so you don't lose all of them to one breath weapon. You can play them in groups of 4 (same initiative, move together etc.), to cut down on the number of turns.

In addition, use some BFC effects against the party. For example, get a couple of ogres (maybe skeletonized) to trip the party, while a few tricky kobolds use tripwires and smokesticks to provide additional obstacles, concealment, and ranged attacks (they can randomly shoot shortbows into the room, because the arrows won't hurt skeletons).

I think I understand, thank you :)

Eldariel
2017-09-24, 12:40 PM
Don't know the module so if you can provide some details, I might be able to give advice on how to soup up the encounters in a more interesting ways. Most modules as written are just kinda easy.

Westhart
2017-09-24, 07:35 PM
We have a:
Dragonfire Adapt Draconic Tabbit(Entangling Breath).
Draconic Elan Erudit(the Psion stuff).
Half-Minutor Human Fighter(the only new guy).

They mad all the troubles at level 1, we are in the middle of "Barrow of the Forgotten King" and the only one that gave them troubles was the choker because he roll 17-19 on his reflex 8 times in a row

Hmm, I haven't played/DM'ed the module so the advice is for general usage. Also assuming you are using psionics/magic tranparency

For the adept, throw something with resistance to his element, or with an ability to counteract the entanglement so he isn't a setting duck... (My problem with advice is I play at high levels, so I can't just say "MoF, solved" ><)
Elan: Hmm, maybe a wild psionics field, right around the time something big and ugly enters the room...
Fighter: Hmm, given his race he likes to charge/melee? I would give him something such as ExLibrisMortis' Kobold idea, something he can not just charge to kill... whether it is adding quicksand pits to certain areas or similar ideas.

Basically, play the monsters smart, they are on their home ground, and in most cases they have had time to entrench, allow them to have hallways with poisons, arrow holes in walls that give 9/10ths concealment or other effects (this may require a slight modification to the module). If you have to throw in a rogue with some poison to SA the Tibbit, basially throw everyone out of their comfort zone, whether it is something with a climb speed waiting until the fighter takes off then ambushes the elan and so on...

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-09-25, 12:17 AM
Hmm, I haven't played/DM'ed the module so the advice is for general usage. Also assuming you are using psionics/magic tranparency

For the adept, throw something with resistance to his element, or with an ability to counteract the entanglement so he isn't a setting duck... (My problem with advice is I play at high levels, so I can't just say "MoF, solved" ><)
Elan: Hmm, maybe a wild psionics field, right around the time something big and ugly enters the room...
Fighter: Hmm, given his race he likes to charge/melee? I would give him something such as ExLibrisMortis' Kobold idea, something he can not just charge to kill... whether it is adding quicksand pits to certain areas or similar ideas.

Basically, play the monsters smart, they are on their home ground, and in most cases they have had time to entrench, allow them to have hallways with poisons, arrow holes in walls that give 9/10ths concealment or other effects (this may require a slight modification to the module). If you have to throw in a rogue with some poison to SA the Tibbit, basially throw everyone out of their comfort zone, whether it is something with a climb speed waiting until the fighter takes off then ambushes the elan and so on...

I am using psionics/magic tranparency, this is the first time someone is using a psion in our group and I am still learning it.
About the fighter, he is playing for the first time and don't really know what to do, he make it hard for himself, I need to teach him about charging before I mess up his charges.
About the Elan and the Dragonfire Adapt, I will try it.

About SA the Tabbit, it is hard, he stay under the Half-Minutor or on him in his cat form(he is small enough) so it will be hard to SA him, maybe a Rogue with reach or range attack can get to him.
I did grab the Tabbit with a Choker but the Choker died in the next turn from the fighter attack(he is the main damage of the party).

Eldariel
2017-09-25, 02:58 AM
What kind of environment are the players adventuring in? Underground by the sound of it; are they opposed by just roaming monsters or is there some theme or rule to it? Adding some caster type enemies is a great way to make it more interesting, though also higher danger of party damage.

DrKerosene
2017-09-25, 04:03 AM
It sounds like two of your Players are quite experienced, and the new one is using one of the best templates (for a "big stupid fighter").

This article is for Pathfinder, so the actual awarded XP will be different, but the math and logic all work for 3.5e if you want to use an XP-budget one or two tough fights in an adventuring day. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nx-o8VAjhUwh3nnfzDQT-JA5eFLnN_BZJiBitGjBMDg/mobilebasic?pli=1

I suppose a 4th level (Mystic) Ranger with Favored Enemy (dragons) may be a decent NPC.

Classic, non-errata'd /non LoM, Grell may be an option. Two of them would be much worse than six or so Ghouls.

A Barghest who buffs every goblin encounter, then flees to set up the next one, would be able to take a fair bit of punishment.

But the PCs are expected to chew through most enemies before they hit level 5.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-09-25, 12:50 PM
What kind of environment are the players adventuring in? Underground by the sound of it; are they opposed by just roaming monsters or is there some theme or rule to it? Adding some caster type enemies is a great way to make it more interesting, though also higher danger of party damage.
untill now they are under the ground, we are going up and I don't see any reason to go back underground​.
They are fighting now some stuff that tomb raiders left behind.

It sounds like two of your Players are quite experienced, and the new one is using one of the best templates (for a "big stupid fighter").

This article is for Pathfinder, so the actual awarded XP will be different, but the math and logic all work for 3.5e if you want to use an XP-budget one or two tough fights in an adventuring day. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nx-o8VAjhUwh3nnfzDQT-JA5eFLnN_BZJiBitGjBMDg/mobilebasic?pli=1

I suppose a 4th level (Mystic) Ranger with Favored Enemy (dragons) may be a decent NPC.

Classic, non-errata'd /non LoM, Grell may be an option. Two of them would be much worse than six or so Ghouls.

A Barghest who buffs every goblin encounter, then flees to set up the next one, would be able to take a fair bit of punishment.

But the PCs are expected to chew through most enemies before they hit level 5.
I will look at it.