PDA

View Full Version : Converting a line to a cone?

Scryangi
2017-09-24, 09:57 AM
Good day everyone,

I have a supernatural (Su) touch range ability. One feat let's me turn it into a ray, and a second turns that ray into a line. Is there a feat or item that changes it to affect everyone in a cone or basically anything bigger than a line? The closest I can think of are meta-breath feats.

All help is appreciated. :)

To be specific, here are the feats:

Shining Ray
Prerequisites: Turn to Gold class ability.
Effect: You may now use your Turn to Gold and Golden Touch class abilities at a range of 10 feet. (In which case, these attacks count as a ray, they require a ranged touch attack instead of a touch attack.) You are not required to use this ability when you use those class abilities, which means that if you possess the Hand of Midas class ability, you do not turn everything within 10 ft. of you to gold.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, the maximum range of your ray increases by 10 feet.

Gilded Blast
Prerequisites: Shining Ray.
Effect: You may choose to use your Shining Ray attack as a line. The line has the same range as your ray attack. Enemies must make a reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your charisma modifier) to avoid the attack. If they succeed on their save, they avoid the blast completely.

Inevitability
2017-09-24, 11:29 AM
What's the precise ability, and what's its type (Su, Sp, Ex...)?

ATHATH
2017-09-24, 11:38 AM
Weren't there (eye?) lenses in some book that let you turn rays into cones?

Scryangi
2017-09-24, 12:27 PM
What's the precise ability, and what's its type (Su, Sp, Ex...)?

Gosh you're right, I should have added that in. It is a Supernatural ability (Su).

More specifically, it's the main ability of the Golden Alchemist (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?170912-I-have-made-tin-into-gold!-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH-WiP)

It's main ability is a 1/day Hand of Midas touch that with 2 feats can be made into a 10ft line efffect. With that gold, it can then buy wands and scrolls. In a way, it's a lite version of the artificer, but merchant themed; you spend your offtime selling golden statues, purchasing items, and tend to be able to whip out every low cost item in the game a few times per day. It is a unique and fun class.

Remuko
2017-09-24, 03:52 PM
Gosh you're right, I should have added that in. It is a Supernatural ability (Su).

More specifically, it's the main ability of the Golden Alchemist (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?170912-I-have-made-tin-into-gold!-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH-WiP)

It's main ability is a 1/day Hand of Midas touch that with 2 feats can be made into a 10ft line efffect. With that gold, it can then buy wands and scrolls. In a way, it's a lite version of the artificer, but merchant themed; you spend your offtime selling golden statues, purchasing items, and tend to be able to whip out every low cost item in the game a few times per day. It is a unique and fun class.

Generally lines are twice as long as cones so that would turn from a 10ft line to a 5ft cone even if you could pull it off. Thats...not very good.

Scryangi
2017-09-24, 05:44 PM
Generally lines are twice as long as cones so that would turn from a 10ft line to a 5ft cone even if you could pull it off. Thats...not very good.

Good luck trying to have enemies nicely line up. Cones tend to hit more enemies, such as when they rush at me, the poor support archer.

Esprit15
2017-09-24, 05:58 PM
Good luck trying to have enemies nicely line up. Cones tend to hit more enemies, such as when they rush at me, the poor support archer.

I think what they're saying is that a 5ft cone is a square.

Scryangi
2017-09-24, 06:23 PM
I think what they're saying is that a 5ft cone is a square.

Oh, that. Correct. Every time I take a feat, I add 10ft to my ray's length, and other than the basic Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot combo, and perhaps Wand Mastery and Improved Initiative, those are all I am going to take. Without the infusion and metamagic cheese of a true Artificer, there just isn't a lot for me to do other than Sculpt Self. Now the roleplay aspect on the other hand... :3

Forrestfire
2017-09-24, 10:02 PM
There is a spell in dragon magazine #308 that can be cast to turn a line effect into a cone effect. I don't remember the exact name though, will need to look when I have access to my books.

EDIT: The spell is deadly spray, a 3rd-level cleric and sorc/wiz spell. It lasts 1 minute per caster level, and during its duration, any effect the caster uses that would make a line (yes, any effect) can be a cone of the same length instead. Casting it requires either dragon type or the Dragon Magic feat, which requires Int 13 and Cha 15.

Scryangi
2017-09-25, 03:12 AM
There is a spell in dragon magazine #308 that can be cast to turn a line effect into a cone effect. I don't remember the exact name though, will need to look when I have access to my books.

EDIT: The spell is deadly spray, a 3rd-level cleric and sorc/wiz spell. It lasts 1 minute per caster level, and during its duration, any effect the caster uses that would make a line (yes, any effect) can be a cone of the same length instead. Casting it requires either dragon type or the Dragon Magic feat, which requires Int 13 and Cha 15.

That could be made into a wand or perhaps an item. Thank you.

It's a bit strange how lacking support for Supernatural Abilities is. Other than Tome of Magic I couldn't find anything.

*Edit*

I found the Dragon Magazine you were looking for. It's number 308, page 20.

https://docslide.net/documents/dragon-magazine-308.html

weckar
2017-09-25, 03:20 AM
ON the other hand, supes also don't suffer many of the drawbacks of other ability types.

Darrin
2017-09-25, 07:04 AM
Weren't there (eye?) lenses in some book that let you turn rays into cones?

Lens of Ray Widening, Lords of Madness p. 46. Not cheap, though... 32,000 GP.

weckar
2017-09-25, 07:29 AM
Plus, that converts RAYS to cones, not lines.

Otherwise, the Ray Coning feat would have been an option.

Scryangi
2017-09-25, 08:24 AM
Plus, that converts RAYS to cones, not lines.

Otherwise, the Ray Coning feat would have been an option.

Given that I need a feat to turn it from ranged touch into a line, this would actually be better. Too bad it's for spells, not Su.

weckar
2017-09-25, 08:30 AM
You should probably edit your first post to reflect that, as it is significant! As it stands, it's a bit of an X/Y question.

Darrin
2017-09-25, 08:42 AM
Given that I need a feat to turn it from ranged touch into a line, this would actually be better. Too bad it's for spells, not Su.

Lens of Ray Widening does work with (Su), as it's designed to work with the beholder's eye rays, and those are a Supernatural ability.

Scryangi
2017-09-25, 09:05 AM
You should probably edit your first post to reflect that, as it is significant! As it stands, it's a bit of an X/Y question.

I did now. I thought I had been keeping it simple but I guess the devil is in the details.

Zaq
2017-09-26, 12:50 AM
Lens of Ray Widening does work with (Su), as it's designed to work with the beholder's eye rays, and those are a Supernatural ability.

The part that kills the Lens is that you only get nine uses out of it before it breaks. Well, probably. The Lens of Ray Chaining only works nine times, and then the Lens of Ray Widening functions "as the Lens of Ray Chaining" and doesn't say that it doesn't break, so here we are.

I think you might technically be able to get away with using Rebuild Item on it, but that requires having a Truenamer of level 11 or higher hanging around close enough to touch the Lens within one round of it breaking. Not a trivial endeavor in most parties.

Inevitability
2017-09-26, 12:55 AM
I think you might technically be able to get away with using Rebuild Item on it, but that requires having a Truenamer of level 11 or higher hanging around close enough to touch the Lens within one round of it breaking. Not a trivial endeavor in most parties.

Leadership, perhaps?